Finding / taking more than one trackable?

Beanie!

I agree. Move the bugs along towards their goal (it helps to check their goal first before you head out to a cache). Travel bug owners hate to see their bugs just sit in caches forever not being moved, so they usually appreciate an effort to get them out on the road. Be sure to log the bug retrieval promptly so others don't think it's still in the cache.

I'm going on a road trip this weekend and was checking out caches along our route. There is one cache close to the road we'll be travelling labelled as a TB motel. I'm always worried about bugs and coins getting stuck in these situations, and sure enough, there are 13 trackables listed. It has the usual 'it's not fair to leave the cache empty' note, and I wouldn't take ALL of them, but I looked at all their pages and eight of the 13 have been there since October. Three of them are racing bugs, but obviously aren't doing any racing. I don't want the cache owner mad at me, and I haven't found any trackables lately, so don't have any to drop, but if I discover them all so the owners know they're okay, can I take maybe four or five that I know I can help? If my TB was stuck in here, I'd be upset, and the last few finders haven't taken bugs because they don't have any to trade, so they're all just sitting. :laughing:

Take as many bugs as you can assist. Each owner released their bug with the purpose that it be kept moving - Not follow the rules some cache owner decided to place on other people's bug. Keep in mind the owner may decide to delete your found it log. It's up to you if that's important or not.

If the cache owner wants to complain feel free to give them my name or refer them to this posting. I would be happy to discuss the issue with them.

Just say NO to Travel Bug trade restrictions!

How would you like it if you went on vacation, stayed for a while, and when it was time to go, the hotel desk clerk said that you couldn't leave because there was no other guest to take your place?

So you're sitting glumly in the hotel lobby, waiting for someone to come by to set you free. Other guests who also wish to check out join you for the long wait. Taxis and buses drive by the hotel, heading toward your destination, but they aren't allowed to pick you up because they have no passengers to drop off.

Finally a new guest arrives. "Free at last!" you think to yourself, and pick up your bags to leave.

Not so fast! The new arrival gets to decide who goes free. And it's not necessarily you, even though you've been waiting the longest. "That family over there, the one with the cute kids -- they can go," the new arrival says. You stand there, bags in hand, stunned. The desk clerk sneers at you.

Not your idea of a fun vacation? Well, that's just what goes on at the "TB Hotels" which require a one-for-one bug swap, or which have a minimum-number-of-bugs rule. The cache owners are holding your bugs hostage for their own amusement, blithely ignoring the bugs' goals.

( - the hermit crabs)

Edited by BlueDeuce

Thanks BlueDeuce... that's a really good story too. Definitely gets the point across, thank you for sharing it. I appreciate your quick response, since we're leaving this afternoon.

I probably could help most of these bugs and coins on their missions, but I figure since I actually drive by this location fairly regularly, I'll grab some this time, and maybe by next time I'll have some things to trade (assuming the cache is getting visited). I chose three that I would really like to help, and a fourth that my dad would probably love to take so I'll talk to him about it and if he wants I'll get it for him as well. I'm going to take the tracking numbers for everything in there so at least the owners will know everything's okay.

I think that using your head at each cache is crucial. Hotels need to be refreshed, IMO. However, let me share a personal anecdote:

I live in a rural area with a moderate amount of cachers in the area. I noticed that two travel bugs and one particularly pretty geocoin had been placed in a certain cache all in the same day. I was excited about getting to this cache and picking something up. My schedule, however, didn't let me get out for a few days. After a week exactly, one person dropped in, grabbed all three trackables, and left a bunch of assorted small loot. Don't get me wrong, the guy didn't break any "laws", but does anyone agree that the situation is at least a little aggravating? :ph34r:

I think trackables should be handled with moderation. Don't grab everything (for the sake of other cachers), but don't let someone's trackable just sit there forever.

I think that using your head at each cache is crucial. Hotels need to be refreshed, IMO. However, let me share a personal anecdote:

I live in a rural area with a moderate amount of cachers in the area. I noticed that two travel bugs and one particularly pretty geocoin had been placed in a certain cache all in the same day. I was excited about getting to this cache and picking something up. My schedule, however, didn't let me get out for a few days. After a week exactly, one person dropped in, grabbed all three trackables, and left a bunch of assorted small loot. Don't get me wrong, the guy didn't break any "laws", but does anyone agree that the situation is at least a little aggravating? :mellow:

I think trackables should be handled with moderation. Don't grab everything (for the sake of other cachers), but don't let someone's trackable just sit there forever.

I made a choice last week to leave one coin in a cache. It's a cache that sees a decent amount of traffic in a month. There were 4 TBs/coins. I took a coin that I will hand-off to another cacher that will fulfill it's goal of going to China. I took a TB to move on my own. My friend took a coin to move with her family. We left one for the next cacher.

In over five years of caching I have moved or discovered over 1,300 travelers. I don't get too worried about trading +/- one or two (or even 5 or 6) at any given cache. In my opinion it all evens out. There have been many caches where I took travelers and didn't leave any. There have also been many where I left travelers without taking any. Find them and move them. Don't keep them.

I live in a rural area with a moderate amount of cachers in the area. I noticed that two travel bugs and one particularly pretty geocoin had been placed in a certain cache all in the same day. I was excited about getting to this cache and picking something up. My schedule, however, didn't let me get out for a few days. After a week exactly, one person dropped in, grabbed all three trackables, and left a bunch of assorted small loot. Don't get me wrong, the guy didn't break any "laws", but does anyone agree that the situation is at least a little aggravating? :mellow:

I completely agree with you!!! Whats even more aggravating is when I go out of my way 4-6 birds eye view miles to get some bugs moving that have been there 2-3 months or more and I finally get there and there are no trackables what so ever and the owner of the cache never updates the contents.

There is one cache that is about 5mins away from me. I found it 6months ago, let the cache owner know that there was no coins in his cache.... still today, I see a fellow cacher logged a find but no trackables...

But yet, on the cache page, it still says that there are 3 different geocoins in the cache.....................

I completely agree with you!!! Whats even more aggravating is when I go out of my way 4-6 birds eye view miles to get some bugs moving that have been there 2-3 months or more and I finally get there and there are no trackables what so ever and the owner of the cache never updates the contents.

There is one cache that is about 5mins away from me. I found it 6months ago, let the cache owner know that there was no coins in his cache.... still today, I see a fellow cacher logged a find but no trackables...

But yet, on the cache page, it still says that there are 3 different geocoins in the cache.....................

send a message to the owner of the bugs/coins and tell them they need to "grab" them and leave a note on the trackables page that it is missing. Owners usually have a copy of the code with them for just this purpose.