What is the best Geocaching backpack

Krux151

Mines a cheap £4.99 in the sale, plenty of room for torch, spare logs, trackables etc. and nice big pocket on the front ideal for carying paper maps.

Best thing is at that price I dont mind it getting thrown around and cought up on thorns and the like, worst thing is though it's not water proof and can't find a cover to fit so I have been thinking about getting a waterproof one that is slightly bigger so I can use it for other things as well,

Hard to suggest a backpack without knowing more. What kinds of caches do you prefer? What kind of terrain do you like to tackle? Do you prefer urban caches or woods? Do you leave your car for the entire day, or do you drive from cache to cache? Do you cache in the winter with snow on the ground? Do you geocache with your family? Do you carry a lot of stuff? Are you male or female? Are you tall or short?

The type of pack I would recommend for someone who prefers suburban and urban caches and who might be away from his car for no more than an hour, differs greatly from the pack I would recommend for someone who does all day hikes in the mountains.

For most of my caching, I use the Mountainsmith Approach II (now available as a the slightly different, but equally good Approach 3.0). It's a great pack with lots of room, a hydration system for hands free drinking and many other excellent features. But I wouldn't recommend it for someone who is mostly doing his geocaching around town or suburban parks.

Edited by briansnat

I got one at walmart for $15; one large pocket; room for a sweeter and food; it holds a 2L water bladder; one smaller pocket for swag; a pocket with a place to stick pens; side pocket; a chest pouch for a gps or cell phone; chest strap.

All depends on how long you'll be out and what you need to take. I have 5 or 6 packs depending on what I'm doing; this is just my basic caching pack

I am looking to get a backpack but i dont know which one to get. I was looking for one in the 100-200 dollar range. does anyone know of a good pack to get

I stopped carrying a backpack a while back and started carrying a tactical bag with just a single shoulder strap. It carries everything I need and can expand it with various pouches I can purchase if needed.

Got tired of the backpack snagging on limbs and such so I switched and now carry it over my neck/shoulder in front of me or to the side.

Works for me..

Adding:

I don't do all day hikes or overnight hikes so the tactical bag might not work for you.

Edited by wkmccall

I've found that the bigger the pack I carry the more "stuff I need to bring along. I generally limit muself to a large fanny pack that carries the fundamentals: GPS and car charge cord, swag bag, mini flashlight, and pen. If we're going bushwacking I'll have one of my companions carry a messenger bag with 1L of wateer per person.

My step-daughter and I have gone out twice now. We have planned 2 Sundays and usually have a list of 8-9 caches to go find so that we're out most of the day. So far, our $10 wal-mart backpack has been just fine.

Once we get into harder/longer hikes, I'm sure we'll switch to one of these tactical bags like others are using. For now, we're just getting a feel for what we need and such.

I am looking to get a backpack but i dont know which one to get. I was looking for one in the 100-200 dollar range. does anyone know of a good pack to get

Not much to work with so I reccomend this.

One of your friends no doubt has a pack that they aren't useing. Borrow that. Then use it. Then over time you will find it has some features you like and some you don't. You will find you wish it had other features or pockets, or better zippers, or lumbar support, or cushier straps and such. Then you will know what your next pack will need to be and can then do yourself justice with that 100-200 bucks.

I have been using a fanny pack by Outdoor Products which works very well for me. It holds only geocaching stuff. It has a large compartment for the trade items and TBs, etc. I also like the small side compartment that works nicely for the small notebook that I use to keep track of my finds, and of course a spare pen.

I strap it to my waist below a regular day pack. The daypack I use is an old Jansport with one large compartment and two smaller side compartments.

I'm sure there's a real variety of what people prefer. This is what works for me...

I'm looking for a bigger backpack too. Mine is only about 600CU inches; I'd like something at least 2,000CU inches; lots of pockets; holds a water bladder and has a chest strap. Preferably tan or green; no bright colors like red!

For a pack of that size definitely check out the aforementioned Mountainsmith Approach 3.0. I recommended it andit's predecessor (the Approach II) to many geocachers and hikers and I've yet to hear a complaint from anybody who bought it, and manyhave given it their hearty endorsement.

It has plenty of convenient pockets, holds a water bladder and has a chest strap, hip belt and a light frame. And as far as its durability, I've used mine to lug a chainsaw for many a mile on trailwork trips and it's still going strong.