Geocoin Map

CacheAddict.com

I am working on a map that you could place geocoins in. You could buy the map and add your own geocoins but I was also going to design a coin for each state. The coins would be 1.25 in size and trackable. Each coin would have its own icon (state flag maybe, still to be decided). You could buy the set or one at a time as you cached in each state. The coins could each be logged separately and I was thinking of adding an area on the map for the tracking number so you didn't have to take the coin out to find it.

The map is going to be a coin folder like those made for the 50 State Quarters. It would be 26.75" x 16.75". Folds in half to 13.25" x 16.75". The outside would also have some kind of artwork similar to the front.

Alright the cost. Not sure yet on the map but it would be in the $10-15.00 range. The coins for each state would be in the $7.50 range. The cost would be considerable less if there was only 1 icon. The icons alone will cost $7500.

Sets could be sold for $375 including each coin, map and shipping. That would be over a $25 savings.

map1.png

I am looking for feedback on the idea. There is still alot of work to do just to get the map to prototype and to start making the coins. This is a big undertaking and I want to know if it will be worthwhile.

Edit to remove comment on the map as I failed to read OP completely.

My first desire to collect came at the excuse of wanting to gather the existing state coins so I'm confident others will be attracted to the notion of getting them all. But the price tag is hard to swallow. How about a state coin of the month club to spread the cost and still earn some discount points?

Edited by Droo

Ya know, I thought you'd have to really stretch to raise the bar over the flag series. This is just way too cool!

I have to cast a vote for Droo's idea. For us, the cost is prohibitive if we had to do it all at once. BUT, I'd buy into the map and obligate to a coin a month or some such if it were offered. I mean, even if we had to go with a half dozen at a time we could do it.

Can you imagine how cool this would look sitting on the mantel with a set of flags on one or both sides?

Wish we hadn't given so much at the AIG!

I am working on a map that you could place geocoins in. You could buy the map and add your own geocoins but I was also going to design a coin for each state. The coins would be 1.25 in size and trackable. Each coin would have its own icon (state flag maybe, still to be decided). You could buy the set or one at a time as you cached in each state. The coins could each be logged separately and I was thinking of adding an area on the map for the tracking number so you didn't have to take the coin out to find it.

The map is going to be a coin folder like those made for the 50 State Quarters. It would be 26.75" x 16.75". Folds in half to 13.25" x 16.75". The outside would also have some kind of artwork similar to the front.

Alright the cost. Not sure yet on the map but it would be in the $10-15.00 range. The coins for each state would be in the $7.50 range. The cost would be considerable less if there was only 1 icon. The icons alone will cost $7500.

Sets could be sold for $375 including each coin, map and shipping. That would be over a $25 savings.

map1.png

I am looking for feedback on the idea. There is still alot of work to do just to get the map to prototype and to start making the coins. This is a big undertaking and I want to know if it will be worthwhile.

My first thought was "No, I wouldn't be interested" but I think I am changing my mind. I'm not sure I would keep them in the folder though. It would be a great thing to frame and display once complete. I think I might even like the idea of all having one Icon, so anyone could look at your profile and tell how many different states you already have(assuming that you only activate one for each state). Several people seem to be stuck on the price, but keep in mind that most of wouldn't buy the whole set together. It sounds like the individual coins would be great gift items for those you know who need a certain state.

I'm thinking that you could have just one die for all the backs, and only make the fronts different? Will they all be in the same style, or will each state coin be in a different style? I can't be sure if I would end up buying the set, buy I could certainly see buying some as gifts. I think they would go very well if the coins are designed such that an individual coin would be a nice one to have seperate from the whole set too.

I have something similar for the state quarters. Although I thought it would be a great idea, it is a pain to insert the quarters, and they hardly ever go in flush with the board. With geocoins being so much thicker (and heavier) than US currency, I would be concerned about the durability of the map. Additionally, most state coins are not 1.25" (heck, a lot of them are not even round)...so using coins that we already have is mostly out of the question.

Depending on the designs, I think I'd be interested -- but like others, I couldn't afford to buy them all at once. I think the idea of a subscription -- opting in to by, say, three months' worth at a time -- and therefore spreading out the cost -- would be better. This might even be doable if you released two coins per month (so it'd only take a year to get them all out).

I think that using the same die for the backs would not be a bad idea at all, either! It'd bring down the cost a little, which would make the subscription option even more palatable.

I have a question: Did you say that they'd be TRACKABLE? If they're trackable, then why would you want a display? Wouldn't you want to have them out moving from cache to cache? Maybe have a non-trackable version that you'd display, and room underneath each state to write the tracking number so you could still keep and eye on it.

Maybe this has been address and I just missed it. Of course, I'm VERY new to all of this and maybe I just don't understand.

I think the map itself would be a neat idea. A set of 50 coins would be as unnecessary as the original 50 state quarters, though. It would be much more fun to fill it with existing state coins, but that leads to the problem of not all state coins being the same size and shape. I might be wrong but I can't see many people dropping nearly 400 dollars on something like this. You could just about make your own coin for that much.

What would be really cool is if you did up an engraved/etched map on semi-clear plastic, with holes drilled out to insert the coins. This could be framed with either a white backboard or another piece of glass/plastic so that you can hang the frame showing whatever side you feel like showing at the moment.

I realize this might be expensive; otoh, I imagine there are a number of plastics companies that could handle a custom order like this.

Another option would be using a sturdy cardboard with the map printed on both sides (but in reverse on one, of course). Ship this with a frame and another piece of cardboard that would be the backboard. The backboard would provide support to the map when there are coins inserted and -- again -- you could simply install the backboard behind whichever side of the map you feel like displaying at the moment.

The whole reason I got involved in geocoins was because Idaho made their first state coin and I bought several and started trading them for other state coins. It was a goal to get one of every state. I'd like something like this that I can use to put my already purchased coins in but they won't work with this map at such a small space for each coin. Can you make a bigger map that could hang on the wall instead?? Then those of us who have already bought some can use our own and perhaps purchase some from you for states we do not have yet. Again, my best advice is make the map big and let us hang it on the wall :ph34r: