Garmin Oregon, Colorado or DeLorme Earthmate PN-40

PCIJOHN

You have the logical choices.

Regarding the question of best, I suggest that you:

1. Disregard advice which negates one at the expense of a preferred when the offeror has no hands-on experience with the one being disparaged.

2. Go to a retail store where you can touch both and they let you go outside and check them in the sunlight.

Personal note: I have a DeLorme PN-40 with which I am quite satisfied. However, abiding by my own ground rules, I will not designate it as BEST as I have never used the other candidates that you mentioned.

Used all three. For paperless, i'd say the Oregon / Colorado.. but the PN-40 is catching up. What's your main use of the unit? Geocaching / car usage / hiking with a need for aerial imagery?

I had a Colorado and now have an Oregon 400t and to me, HANDS DOWN the Oregon is better than the Colorado. Not sure about the PN-40 though. I am curious how the ariel works on it though.

For those who have a PN-40, does it store images for the whole U.S. on it? Seems like that would take a LOT of memory to do that.

Hi All

Thanks for the input.

I will be only using this unit for geocaching I have a Nuvi 360 for street/car and love it. I do use GSAK with pocket query and unless there is a better way want to continue using it.

Thanks

I have a Colorado. I did have some issues with it at first, but this unit with the latest firmware is working great for me. It has always got me to the cache. I've listed it for sale, but will most likely keep it as it is working perfect for what I want to use it for. I may pick up an Oregon with some hotel loyalty reward points to try it out, but other than that, I'm happy with the Colorado. I have no experience with the DeLorme, other than playing with it in a store.

I agree with Rich..spent a lot of time with both the CO and OR, the OR wins out for me in terms of useability and the paperless mode. You either love or hate the wheel of the CO, after using the touchscreen I'm now quite spoilt...no more wheels or buttons for me! Nothing better than that map view on that large screen and ability to just touch a nearby cache symbol and pop up he information. The Co does things slightly different as well... subtle differences in the UI, but the workflow seemed easier for me on the OR. The geocaching dashboards on the OR is pretty useful as well (permanent arrow to nearest cache, running find count), and a full track manager.

PQs will drag directly onto the GPS. Or go with GSAK and your database of caches.... either direct connectivity or go with a more specialized GSAK macro ( http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry74562 ) to export to the OR / CO...one click sends your current filtered caches to the unit (max of 2,000 caches), children waypoints as POI (unlimited number) or caches (with custom symbols), your found / own caches as POI (unlimted number).

Edited by Maingray

I have both, I use the pn-40 and my wife uses the Oregon. Right now, I would recommend the Oregon over the pn-40. I truly believe the pn-40 is more accurate. I know they both have the same chipset but I believe the antenna is better in the pn-40. That being said, only being able to load 1000 caches in the pn-40 compared to the 2000 I can load into the Oregon, drives me nuts. The Oregon seems easier to use in the field, can put logs in faster with the touch screen. The pn-40 seems to be more sturdy then the Oregon. So if you think your going to be banging it around you might look at the pn=40. The compass in the Oregon seems to be more stable the pn-40. While caching getting in and out of the car, it seems I have to recalibrate the compass every 3 hours or so. (Yes I tried resetting the accelerator) The compass in the Oregon seems to be fine untill the batteries are replaced. They are both very good units, but 2 more times the caches, bigger screen with the touch screen, and compass stability would lean me more to recommend the Oregon. If you want accuracy, sturdyness and a cheaper price, I would go with the pn-40. I only use these for geocaching by the way.