"Needs Maintenance" in reference to

redjada

I will start here GCXCFB. I logged the find along with a "Needs Maintenance" I also sent an email to the owner. Got a reply back saying,"thanks for the heads up". That was a good month ago. Still not taken care of. Then we found GCXCFZ. Again I emailed the owner. Heres the reply

"Hello Redjada - Thanks for the note about our caches. If you stay in geocaching long enough, you'll find a lot of soaked caches along the way. We try our best to stay on top of our hides, but sometimes one or two slip by."

Has not done nothing to anything....

This owner has 189 hides. And I would say the last 15 finds out of 50 were by this owner. And 10 of those were just soaked and in bad shape. We love getting out and finding the cache's but when you keep finding wet caches by the same person it kinda sets a trend. In my opinion, I'm thinking just logging the find along with a "Needs Maintenance" And if nothing happens then, put a SBA.

I know there are guide lines, but they are kinda "not clear" I also know if you hide a cache, you need to take care of it. I only have 3 hides and will have 5 soon and that should be about it for now.That way I can manage my hides. But why hide 189 caches if you cant take care of them?

There seems to be alot of new cacher's in our area. I dont think its fare to go find a soaked cache. Kinda ruins the fun.

Just looking for an oppion......

Thanks

Chill.

Things get wet. Sign the best you can, add paper if necessary (& possible).

If it bothers you that much, don't hunt that person's hides. Sounds like they might have made some poor container choices (or not).

There are much worse problems than wet logs.

Ditto..

Oh, my goodness! It's been ten days! The horror!

You should NEVER list a TB's tracking number is a log! And I'm surprised that you'd leae a TB in a cache that you think needs maintenance...

You're batting 0 for 2.

If you don't like their caches, ignore them!

Or join the ranks of the cache police!

Sorry, I didnt realize the cache police would come after me! I'm not he cache god like 'Harry Dolphin' is. Perhaps someone should double check their research And their spelling at that. Kiss off mate!!!!!

Edited by redjada

You should NEVER list a TB's tracking number is a log! And I'm surprised that you'd leae a TB in a cache that you think needs maintenance...

You're batting 0 for 2.

]Sorry, I didnt realize the cache police would come after me! I'm not he cache god like 'Harry Dolphin' is. Perhaps someone should double check their research And their spelling at that. Kiss off mate!!!!!

No, no, no...you're confused...You are the one trying to be the 'cache police'...these helpful people are trying to prevent you from being a...never mind...please study harder so you know the difference... :blink:

You're batting 0 for 2.

Sorry, I didnt realize the cache police would come after me! I'm not he cache god like 'Harry Dolphin' is. Perhaps someone should double check their research And their spelling at that. Kiss off mate!!!!!

To quote myself,

"Chill"

What is it with you folk from OH? (add appropriate smiley, I know a few nice buckeyes).

Edited by Jumpin' Jack Cache

Just looking for an opinion...

I think it's Spring. There is just something about this time of year that really makes this forum get its' cotton in a bundle.

Post your Needs Maintenance. Maybe consider replacing the soggy log. (I wouldn't and I am a cache cop). Give people time to do maintenance. A soggy logbook isn't cool but it happens.

I will start here GCXCFB. I logged the find along with a "Needs Maintenance" I also sent an email to the owner. Got a reply back saying,"thanks for the heads up". That was a good month ago. Still not taken care of. Then we found GCXCFZ. Again I emailed the owner. Heres the reply

"Hello Redjada - Thanks for the note about our caches. If you stay in geocaching long enough, you'll find a lot of soaked caches along the way. We try our best to stay on top of our hides, but sometimes one or two slip by."

Has not done nothing to anything....

This owner has 189 hides. And I would say the last 15 finds out of 50 were by this owner. And 10 of those were just soaked and in bad shape. We love getting out and finding the cache's but when you keep finding wet caches by the same person it kinda sets a trend. In my opinion, I'm thinking just logging the find along with a "Needs Maintenance" And if nothing happens then, put a SBA.

I know there are guide lines, but they are kinda "not clear" I also know if you hide a cache, you need to take care of it. I only have 3 hides and will have 5 soon and that should be about it for now.That way I can manage my hides. But why hide 189 caches if you cant take care of them?

There seems to be alot of new cacher's in our area. I dont think its fare to go find a soaked cache. Kinda ruins the fun.

Just looking for an oppion......

Thanks

Edited by Happy Bubbles
Everyone is entitled to an opinion regardless of their find or post count.

The reason I linked to that thread is because it was suggested that the less experienced may have unrealistic expectations which may lead them to complain more.

FWIW I was sympathetic to the OP until post #6.

Edited by Chrysalides

The reason I linked to that thread is because it was suggested that the less experienced may have unrealistic expectations which may lead them to complain more.

Which is why we answer every cacher's question with respect that they are new and might have unrealistic expectations.

Shoot me, but i get what the OP is trying to say- i think.

Wet logs may be the norm but that doesn't make them acceptable. A little moist- sure. But a wet mess, that's not so cool.

Be careful with the SBA's. You may bring the wrath of local cachers. I posted a SBA for a cache where the owner was no longer caching, the cache was a clear violation and it was most likely without permission and located by no trespassing signs behind a vacant building and located on utilities equipment. It was archived but it upset some other cachers.

Just because you post it does not mean that anything will happen either. I found a cache filled with water and clearly not maintained. The owner had not logged in for at least a year. It had a needs maintenance for probably a year too. I posted an SBA and nothing happened. People just kept discovering a mushy crap cache. If i would have been back by and had supplies i would have fixed it, but it came up missing eventually.

It takes time to fix things. Keep caches that you want to find-not mushy rusty ones.

And if you archive pick up your geo-junk. After alerting a cacher of a problem with the cache they archived it because they said it was too far away to remedy. I stopped by the next time it was I was in the area a few months later and retrieved our [geocachers] trash. :blink:

I will think long and hard about posting any more SBA's. It seems to be a live and let live attitude. Just try and be forgiving.

While being unrealistic it is totally reasonable. Briansnat nailed it when he said this:

Perhaps it's because novices come into this sport with unrealistic expectations. For instance, they believe that cache owners should take care of their caches.

Once they've found their 5th full logbook, in their 20th leaky film canister that wacky notion is gone.

It sure is a valid reason to be irritated.

This owner has 189 hides. And I would say the last 15 finds out of 50 were by this owner. And 10 of those were just soaked and in bad shape.

Hi redjada - we're wondering what you meant by this statement in your initial rant. It sounds like you are trying to say that 15 other caches of ours are soaked. I took a look at your cache finds and noticed that out of your whopping 80 finds, you found 5 of our caches, 2 of which you mention are soaked, the other three you say the caches are in good shape. What do you mean about 15 finds out of 50 by this owner? And 10 of those were just soaked and in bad shape? Huh???

Yes we do have 189 hides, but gee, not all of them are still active. I'm sure nothing we can say will make you happy, but we are responsible cache owners. Yes, from time to time a cache sits in need of maintenance for a bit, but we do fix all of our caches up eventually. We always wait until at least two DNFs or Wet Log posts to check on things because in our six years of caching we have learned that one person's idea of "soaked" is another's "damp".

We always wait until at least two DNFs or Wet Log posts to check on things because in our six years of caching we have learned that one person's idea of "soaked" is another's "damp".

That is so true.

I haven't found very many of SerenityNow's caches but of the six we have found two were definitely memorable in a good way.

I re-read your post and you said you contacted them again. I can understand watching it out of curiosity, but i wouldn't contact anyone twice. It really serves no purpose. They already know what you thought plus they have the needs maintenance attribute on the cache. I am trying to take a more laid back attitude. Do what you can for the cache when you are there. Report what you think should be reported to the owner and forget it. Logs will get moist because they are what soaks up any moisture in the caches.

I have found that the caches that are in need like that are the ones where the owner has quit caching. And of the ones i watched that had needed maintenance, they are usually taken care of.

As i was admonished: Live and let live. True dat.

I will start here GCXCFB. I logged the find along with a "Needs Maintenance" I also sent an email to the owner. Got a reply back saying,"thanks for the heads up". That was a good month ago. Still not taken care of.

If you know it's still not taken care of, then you must have stopped back to check. It appears that you're "checking up" on the cache owner. That would earn the tag of cache cop...

If you want to take the trouble to check up on a cache you've already found, perhaps you could bring along what's needed to fix up the cache...

Did I spell everything correctly?

Well, I guess for now on if I find a cache that is full of water or is in bad shape. Ill just leave it alone and move on Don't need to log caches that are in bad shape. If people cant take care of their hides then maybe they shouldn't be hiding them. That's all I have to say.

Well, I guess for now on if I find a cache that is full of water or is in bad shape. Ill just leave it alone and move on Don't need to log caches that are in bad shape. If people cant take care of their hides then maybe they shouldn't be hiding them. That's all I have to say.

I understand what you are thinking but think about it like this. It surely is possible that the finder before you did not seal up the cache properly. Or maybe a critter knocked the lid off a little. Who knows?

Always remove trash from a cache. If it's dirty, rusty, soggy, or broken- toss it.

Carry a cache repair kit. Dry the cache out if possible. Sometimes you can use duct tape if needed. Carry plastic baggies with you and use if necessary. Extra log sheets or sometimes an entire log book can be left if the log in unuseable. This way if it is not repaired before the next finder comes, it is at least a little nicer.

If you found it and are a person that logs finds online- then log it as a find. Report maintenance if necessary.

You're batting 0 for 2.

Sorry if I overreacted, but this is the second forum thread you've started on the same subject: When Or Do you Request, A Cache be archived? Sorry if it bothers you that some cache owners take more than the week or two that you require for them to perform maintenance. Sorry that people are not allowed to disagree with you. Perhaps, you'd be best off to follow your own advice to pass on caches in disrepair.

And, if one is going to blast another's typing skills, there shoud be a comma between "Kiss off" and"mate".

Have fun caching. Maybe that's the problem? You're not having fun caching?