"RANT"

GIDEON-X

This thread prompted me to go back to my own caches and rethink the hints I provided. Especially the early ones when I was a newbie. Never gave a thought then of the task of decrypting them in the field and they really didn't provide any "hint". I've rewritten some of them and eliminated several that were pointless.

Thus, this thread has served me well.

That was my reaction exactly... When I've got a little more free time I'm going to do the same thing, go over my old clues.

-Roz

This thread prompted me to go back to my own caches and rethink the hints I provided. Especially the early ones when I was a newbie. Never gave a thought then of the task of decrypting them in the field and they really didn't provide any "hint". I've rewritten some of them and eliminated several that were pointless.

Thus, this thread has served me well.

That was my reaction exactly... When I've got a little more free time I'm going to do the same thing, go over my old clues.

-Roz

How about those hints that use "left" and "right" for direction? :laughing: It's rarely obvious what that means. ...or maybe it's just because we usually approach from an unexpected direction.

East & West are much better indicators.

Others I have seen go something like "near the large tree" or "close to a big rock". Ok, now define "near", "close", "large", and "big".

I have a cache hidden in the end of a round hollow log, and the hint is "famous oceanographic institute" - a reference, of course, to "Woods Hole", MA.

Half the finders say "awesome clue" - "thanks for the chuckle", etc. The other half say "have no idea what the clue meant".

So maybe I should change it something more easily recognized - but, hey, its fun to see who gets it. :laughing:

Edited by mommio

See my post two above.

Well, I just found out what "unkwatchas" means via google.

It is CREE for SQUIRREL.

That really helped me a lot while I was out trying to hunt down the cache.

Recently we found a cache where the hint was "arribe." Had no clue what it meant. Read it aloud and my seven year old grandson looked up at me and said "Grandma, that means up." I asked him how he knew that. His reply: "I learned it from Dora, the Explorer."