Cemetery caches.

Hey - Members here is an idea.

I love geocaching as I am sure most of you do (as you are reading this forum).

I'm going to tell my wife and put in my will that I want a geocache IN MY HEADSTONE!!! I hereby grant all of your permission to visit.

Does this solve the issue about hallowed ground - or whatever. IF the dead guy WANTS you to vist his cache then you have permission.

Anybody that beats me to the grave - feel free to use my idea - I'll come find you.

Already been done.... and the COs still walk among us. click here

I just knew there had to be some zombie cachers out there! :unsure:

Back O/T- I've found many cemetery caches that were well placed and brought me to an interesting and sometimes historical location that I probably wouldn't have visited if not for the cache.

I've also found a few that I thought were poorly placed, and didn't show appropriate respect to the grounds on which they were placed. Those should be moved to a better spot, and I have contacted CO's in the past about this.

There aren't many places in a park or forest that can be considered disrespectful by non-cachers. But there are those who think that cemeteries are no place for a game. While we may not agree with their position, we certainly should respect it. Otherwise we run the risk of them pushing for a policy that will affect other caches in the area.

There aren't many places in a park or forest that can be considered disrespectful by non-cachers. But there are those who think that cemeteries are no place for a game. While we may not agree with their position, we certainly should respect it. Otherwise we run the risk of them pushing for a policy that will affect other caches in the area.

Well said.

I just wanted to add how much I also enjoy cemetery caches. We just hid our first cache right by an older historic cemetery. When speaking to the man in charge of upkeeping the cemetery, he was VERY excited about the possibility of BRINGING geocachers in to discover historic parts of the town, and he highly recommended I place one there. I am fortunate enough to have my reviewer publish it without putting up a stink about it.

I like cemetery caches (as long as they are respectful), but then I have always enjoyed visiting cemeteries. They are very peaceful, beautiful places that hold much history. Geocaching has taken me to cemeteries that I may not have otherwise found or visited. Cemeteries are also a great place to view very old trees that show their typical growth form. I can respect someone who chooses to avoid these caches for personal reasons, but I really do enjoy the beauty of cemeteries and personally have no problem with caches placed in them.

Just visited a local, rural cemetery this evening to photograph some stones. There were 3 other couples there walking around like it's a routine after dinner. Point is... one of them led to us to the gravestone of Daniel Boone's nephew & gave us a little history lesson of Daniel Boone and his sister living in our area long, long, time ago. Okay, a bit off-topic, but wanted to tie this in with the history one can learn by visiting a cemetery. Don't be scared. :o

You guys sure make a big deal over a change in wording! Just keep following the rules (which haven't changed) and you will be fine.

Sheesh...

What change to what wording where? :D

Sounds to me like a reference to the change in wording in the guidelines re: cemetery caches. (link)

Edited by knowschad

You guys sure make a big deal over a change in wording! Just keep following the rules (which haven't changed) and you will be fine.

Sheesh...

What change to what wording where? :D

Sounds to me like a reference to the change in wording in the guidelines re: cemetery caches. (link)

Oh that. Did I miss where the guidelines clarification came up in this thread? Where are my contact lenses? Who are you people? Why am in my pajamas?

A new cache just went active in our area (S.W. Virginia) and the driving dirictions showed it to be on the roadside near a public cemetary but when I got to the cache site it was inside the cemetary. (Placed with permission of the grounds keeper) I knew that the cache was hard to find according to other logs and the bush that it is in looked like it had been muggled. I thought it was inconsiderate and disrespectful to place a cache inside a cemetary so I did not attempt to find it but I did post a note stateing that I thought it was a poor place for a geocache. I have found/logged geocaches near cemetarys, along the fences & ect. but I don't know of any that are inside of a cemetary. Then I got some emails (not from the cache owner) suggesting that I delete my note, which I did. I would like to hear input from fellow geocachers on this matter, thanks. :(

NO. I just don't like tromping over others peoples graves. My Mother was creameated and buried in the family plot. I watched and they only put the urn about 4 inches down. I would be upset if I found you stomping all over her. This plot is the private property of the family for over 250 years. Go walk on your own plot. Just the feelings of one individule but they ar feelings.

jj_snafu

I recently placed my first cemetery cache. Its part of a series based on the history of the small town that I was raised in. One of the more recently famous people was an olympic medal winner. I placed the cache off the edge of the cemetery in the woods. The cache description included a description of the Olympian's achievements and directions to his gravestone. The stone is of interest because it has a copy of his Olympic medal on it.

A new cache just went active in our area (S.W. Virginia) and the driving dirictions showed it to be on the roadside near a public cemetary but when I got to the cache site it was inside the cemetary. (Placed with permission of the grounds keeper) I knew that the cache was hard to find according to other logs and the bush that it is in looked like it had been muggled. I thought it was inconsiderate and disrespectful to place a cache inside a cemetary so I did not attempt to find it but I did post a note stateing that I thought it was a poor place for a geocache. I have found/logged geocaches near cemetarys, along the fences & ect. but I don't know of any that are inside of a cemetary. Then I got some emails (not from the cache owner) suggesting that I delete my note, which I did. I would like to hear input from fellow geocachers on this matter, thanks. :(

NO. I just don't like tromping over others peoples graves. My Mother was creameated and buried in the family plot. I watched and they only put the urn about 4 inches down. I would be upset if I found you stomping all over her. This plot is the private property of the family for over 250 years. Go walk on your own plot. Just the feelings of one individule but they ar feelings.

jj_snafu

3 Points...

1. I'd get your money back for the burial. 4 inches depth for an urn is ridiculous.

2. I don't hunt/place in private plots without permission.

3. I don't walk on graves.

Just my thoughts...

3 Points...

1. I'd get your money back for the burial. 4 inches depth for an urn is ridiculous.

Just my thoughts...

Counter points

1) Urns aren't buried only 4 inches deep unless it's a bargain basement cemetary.

2) I ask the residents for permission. If they don't speak up, I assume it's OK. If they do speak up, I wet my pants while running away.

3) I try not to walk on graves but assume that the caretaker isn't as careful while mowing the grass.

Just my thoughts.

(note, I didn't disagree with you)

3 Points...

Just my thoughts...

Counter points

1) Urns aren't buried only 4 inches deep unless it's a bargain basement cemetary.

2) I ask the residents for permission. If they don't speak up, I assume it's OK. If they do speak up, I wet my pants while running away.

3) I try not to walk on graves but assume that the caretaker isn't as careful while mowing the grass.

Just my thoughts.

My wife swore she heard a resident speak up at one today and beat feet out of there. As far as caretakers, a lot (maybe 75%?) of the cemeteries we cache in are well cared for. Of course, YMMV.

Then again, when it's time to put me in the pine box, I want a cache on my grave. Walk all over me all you want.

3 Points...

Just my thoughts...

Counter points

Just my thoughts.

My wife swore she heard a resident speak up at one today and beat feet out of there. As far as caretakers, a lot (maybe 75%?) of the cemeteries we cache in are well cared for. Of course, YMMV.

Then again, when it's time to put me in the pine box, I want a cache on my grave. Walk all over me all you want.

Are there plans for your mortal remains to be placed into a hole in the ground in a cemetery shared by others?

A new cache just went active in our area (S.W. Virginia) and the driving dirictions showed it to be on the roadside near a public cemetary but when I got to the cache site it was inside the cemetary. (Placed with permission of the grounds keeper) I knew that the cache was hard to find according to other logs and the bush that it is in looked like it had been muggled. I thought it was inconsiderate and disrespectful to place a cache inside a cemetary so I did not attempt to find it but I did post a note stateing that I thought it was a poor place for a geocache. I have found/logged geocaches near cemetarys, along the fences & ect. but I don't know of any that are inside of a cemetary. Then I got some emails (not from the cache owner) suggesting that I delete my note, which I did. I would like to hear input from fellow geocachers on this matter, thanks. :P

Yes

IMHO, I dont see any problems with cemetery caches, as long as they are done in good taste. Meaning Good taste as in not near a headstone (the cache container itself) itself. Along with the cache being maintained too.

My wife & I both enjoy cemetery caches, because you never know what/who you find in a cemetery. We did a cemetery cache in the Pgh Pa area a few years back once we found the cache, we walked around the cemetery checking the headstones out. I found a long distance relative of mine buried there, whom my step dad was named directly after. (This person was in the war of 1812). We have found some very old headstones with some interesting information on them & so forth.

As long as a person or cacher is respective to the area & cemetery I have no problem with it.

I think it's all in how you feel about it. I personally love cemetaries. I enjoy walking around them, without worrying about traffic and often take my boys out to ours here. My mother and grandfather are both there and we go visit them. My oldest son remembers my grandad but my mom passed on before they were even a thought in my mind. I hid one there that is up for review. It gives people an opportunity to see something special. Ours is a very old one and really is nice to walk around. Like I said before, with the lack of traffic or speeding traffic it can give kiddos an opportunity to get out and not make parents a nervous wreck. They even allow dogs as long as you clean up after them. So I guess it's all in your personal feelings.

I love graveyard caches, I especially love doing them in the middle of the night, it adds a little fun to it

Not a good idea. That's when the vandals are there. Most cemeteries around here are closed dusk to dawn... :)

Vandals are there because normal folks aren't. Vandalism isn't yet an activity done under full observation (in most places). Ironicly the reason they have nigh time closures is to prevent vandalism yet since vandals don't care and honest folks do it merely gives vandals more free time to go about their business. Not all laws are based on actual logic.

jj_snafu

What provisions have you made for when you or your prodgeny sell the land? At some point in the fullness of time, those ashes will be scattered as some scatter them now and thus have no one final resting place. We no doubt 'tromp' on them from time to time and as I have no dobut that all organic matter is recycled that some of us have eaten some of what used to be someone else at some point. Personally I'd like that bit to be Einstein and not so much Jack the Ripper but there is no way to know.

People usually know what's in front of their nose, but step back a bit and it's a bigger world. You have tromped on and eaten your share.

Food for thought.

Well said.

This is exactly why geocaching is an activity. It's not and has never been a game. Battleship and Football are games. Walking, Hiking, Seeking on an ongoing basis is an activity and a fun harmless family activity at that.

I have no dobut that all organic matter is recycled that some of us have eaten some of what used to be someone else at some point. Personally I'd like that bit to be Einstein and not so much Jack the Ripper but there is no way to know.

People usually know what's in front of their nose, but step back a bit and it's a bigger world. You have tromped on and eaten your share.

Food for thought.

That would indeed be food for thought!

Forgive me if I'm rehashing something that's already been said... this thread is really long and my net connection is pretty slow, so I haven't read the whole thing.

Around here, there are several caches that, in my humble opinion, handle this very well. They are cemetery caches, but the cache is not in the cemetery.

They are puzzle caches. To solve the puzzle, one must visit the cemetery and gather data from certain grave markers. This data is used to calculate the coordinates for the actual cache, which is nearby but not in the cemetery.

I am from IL and my in-laws are from a small town in WI. My mother-in-law has rode along with me to look for caches in her town. I had told her about Geocaching and she knew our destinations. At each cemetery she pointed out family (including her own mother and father) and friends and gave me history for each of them. We also rited flowers and flags that we passed. We noticed some beautiful and old headstones as well. We all know that geocaching is as much about the destination as it is about the find. I am fairly certain that the vast majority of geocachers is respectful to their surroundings and would not disturb mourners or the grounds themselves. It's much like CITO. But instead of picking up trash you are picking up and fixing flowers and flags. And that in itself is paying respects.

I like the cemetery caches.

Around here a high percentage of caches are in Cemeteries . Just about every cemetery around here has a geocache in it. they are part of the Spirit Quest series here in the midwest. Why not use cemeteries for geocaches? It is not like they have alot of other uses. I do feel that they should always be done in a respectful manner though, you know not real close to anyone's head stone or anything like that. They should be on a fence or in a tree or something of that nature. I don't much care for ones that lead you to some poor guy's headstone to use his date of death to solve a puzzle and find the cache. Those a far and few between thankfully and are usually an early hide of that particular user. I mean really it is just a container hid on the grounds. It is not like someone removed all the stones and put a Walmart on it. Once a cemetery gets old enough sometimes the stones are removed and they are used for a business, home or farm. that might be considered disrespectful. If anything caches respectfully placed in cemeteries increase awareness of those that lived before us. There seems to in genera, be a totally different mindset on caches in Cemeteries depending on where people live. Why is it people in Virginia tend to be most against them? Is it the media there? I wonder if it has something to do with the famous Arlington cemetery?

Edited by Matt_B_Good

It's illegal in the state of Tennessee to place a cache in a cemetery. I have been to a bunch of caches in them though. My family and I enjoy them for the history, I believe if they are placed they should be easy to find to keep folks from destroying the area.

Unless something has changed recently, there isn't a law specifically restricting placing caches in cemeteries in Tennessee- only a law against "games".

I think at one point around 2008 all the TN cemetery caches were grandfathered and new cemetery caches were being submitted to a higher degree of scrutiny; explicit permission vs. adequate permission.

But go with what ever guidance the TN reviewer gives you. (TN and Alabama sometimes share reviewers.)

On a side note - it used to be a popular practice to have picnics in the cemeteries. Families would spend an afternoon there. It's amazing how much things change over the years.

years ago we tried to have a picnic in a cemetary and the state troopers that patrolled the area threw us out. :( Generations in my family had no problems like this and picniced with Great Great Grandad... This country has adopted too strict of Politial correctness since the time of our grandparents..

In mexico they do it every year on the Day of the Dead...

I personally thought at the time that the spirits of the people burried there would not mind the company... still do... :)

I love cemetaries and I think they are great places to bring your children and teach them about history, life and death and there is always a story somewhere to be told. Caching in a cemetary is a way to bring people experince and remember those who lived and died that we may live a better life.

Besides most people who enjoy GeoCaching love and respect the areas they visit. They are higher thinkers up for a challenge of wit and adventure.

On a side note - it used to be a popular practice to have picnics in the cemeteries. Families would spend an afternoon there. It's amazing how much things change over the years.

years ago we tried to have a picnic in a cemetery and the state troopers that patrolled the area threw us out. :( Generations in my family had no problems like this and picnicked with Great Great Grandad... This country has adopted too strict of Political correctness since the time of our grandparents..

In Mexico they do it every year on the Day of the Dead...

I personally thought at the time that the spirits of the people buried there would not mind the company... still do... :)

I love cemeteries and I think they are great places to bring your children and teach them about history, life and death and there is always a story somewhere to be told. Caching in a cemetery is a way to bring people experience and remember those who lived and died that we may live a better life.

Besides most people who enjoy GeoCaching love and respect the areas they visit. They are higher thinkers up for a challenge of wit and adventure.

I think you're misusing the term "political correctness", but that's besides the point. It could have been that your problem was the particular state trooper you ran into, or some problem with vandalism or a request from the land owner to remove people.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they were "right" in booting you out, but there may have been a reason or even a local ordinance in place.

Edited by Castle Mischief

It's illegal in the state of Tennessee to place a cache in a cemetery. I have been to a bunch of caches in them though. My family and I enjoy them for the history, I believe if they are placed they should be easy to find to keep folks from destroying the area.

Unless something has changed recently, there isn't a law specifically restricting placing caches in cemeteries in Tennessee- only a law against "games"....

Geocaching is an activity, and a fun, harmless family friendly one at that. It doesn't fit the defintion of game, but some insist on using the words and the words create a perception and the (wrong) perception creates it's own harm.

years ago we tried to have a picnic in a cemetary and the state troopers that patrolled the area threw us out. ...

That was more common in the days when travel was more difficult and took more time. If you were going to pay your respects it wasn't a quick jaunt in the buggy. It was a long treck.

In other words a picknic in a cemetary isn't unheard of, isn't disrespectful, it's just not as common today as before.

The trooper clearly hasn't come to an appreciation of the people in the world around him and was suck on his narrow perception and projected authority he didn't have like he has been trained to doo.

The trooper clearly hasn't come to an appreciation of the people in the world around him and was suck on his narrow perception and projected authority he didn't have like he has been trained to doo.

Or perhaps he could have been in the right and was only doing his job. Kind of hard to tell without all the facts.

Edited by Castle Mischief

That was more common in the days when travel was more difficult and took more time. If you were going to pay your respects it wasn't a quick jaunt in the buggy. It was a long treck.

In other words a picknic in a cemetary isn't unheard of, isn't disrespectful, it's just not as common today as before.

The trooper clearly hasn't come to an appreciation of the people in the world around him and was suck on his narrow perception and projected perceived authority he didn't have like he has been trained to doo.

I fixed it for you.

I doubt the trooper had the authority to eject people from the cemetary when they were just visiting the graves (even if they were having a picnic at the time).

Or perhaps he could have been in the right and was only doing his job. Kind of hard to tell without all the facts.

Facts always help. However in most cemetaries this would be allowed because of it's long historica/cultural history, even though a trooper found it distasteful enough to spring to action.

There are always exceptions.