Cemetery caches.

A new cache just went active in our area (S.W. Virginia) and the driving dirictions showed it to be on the roadside near a public cemetary but when I got to the cache site it was inside the cemetary. (Placed with permission of the grounds keeper) I knew that the cache was hard to find according to other logs and the bush that it is in looked like it had been muggled. I thought it was inconsiderate and disrespectful to place a cache inside a cemetary so I did not attempt to find it but I did post a note stateing that I thought it was a poor place for a geocache. I have found/logged geocaches near cemetarys, along the fences & ect. but I don't know of any that are inside of a cemetary. Then I got some emails (not from the cache owner) suggesting that I delete my note, which I did. I would like to hear input from fellow geocachers on this matter, thanks. :)

A new cache just went active in our area (S.W. Virginia) and the driving dirictions showed it to be on the roadside near a public cemetary but when I got to the cache site it was inside the cemetary. (Placed with permission of the grounds keeper) I knew that the cache was hard to find according to other logs and the bush that it is in looked like it had been muggled. I thought it was inconsiderate and disrespectful to place a cache inside a cemetary so I did not attempt to find it but I did post a note stateing that I thought it was a poor place for a geocache. I have found/logged geocaches near cemetarys, along the fences & ect. but I don't know of any that are inside of a cemetary. Then I got some emails (not from the cache owner) suggesting that I delete my note, which I did. I would like to hear input from fellow geocachers on this matter, thanks. :)

Here is a link to 15 previous cemetary caching discussions.

Me personally, I wouldn't place a geocache in a cemetary, but I have placed numerous cache near sites where American Pilots lost their lives in crashes.

Three plane wrecks, 16 dead Americans (both Army and Air Force)

Four American firefighters died in this wreck.

The pilot of the P-38 died at this double crash site.

Edited by Kit Fox
I thought it was inconsiderate and disrespectful to place a cache inside a cemetary so I did not attempt to find it but I did post a note stateing that I thought it was a poor place for a geocache.

I think it is a you say this I say that thing. Some people think of a cemetery as hallowed ground where no foot shall trod for reasons other than to mourn or pay respect to the dead.

Others think of a cemetery as a gathering place where the opportunity to remember the dead keeps them "real", a place to bring life to.

It's a very modern concept that cemeteries are sterile, solemn places. I think they are fascinating - they expose so much about the people who bury their families there. I learn about people's cultural history and customs, I see incredible creativity, I see imagination being used to express love and grief, and I see traditions that maybe even the people who bury there don't know about.

I enjoy a cache at a cemetery - they take me to graves that I would never see otherwise. I get a chance to think about the people there, to imagine their lives, and to wonder about their deaths. I think of it like this - are you really dead and gone when people still think about you?

Both opinions are valid - and should be respected.

I don't think that anyone other than the cache owner should be asking you to remove a post.

On the other hand, I don't know that your choice of posting that a cemetery is a "poor place" for a cache is really appropriate, either. If you were expressing "I choose not to do these" there shouldn't be a problem for anyone but it sounds like your post could have been taken as a bit judgmental or accusatory.

Edited by Gimpy13

Yes, many people think it's disrespectful to cache in cemeteries. I know of an old-timer (and have heard of a couple of others) who won't do it. So you're definitely not alone, believe me. Me, I generally like cemetery caches, and have found probably a couple of hundred, and only stumbled upon maybe 2 I thought were not placed in a respectful manner.

Would I do place one? I dunno, I placed one in February that takes you to a headstone to gather information, but has the final on wooded City property outside the cemetery. I was thinking about doing another one, and it would be the same deal, cache outside the actual cemetery. It seems the reviewers like these ones the best. :anicute:

Edit to add, I have seen several "series", where I believe the cut-and-paste cache descriptions inspire people to seek out, and place caches in cemeteries, just because "hey, here's a cemetery that doesn't have a cache". These tend to all be micros as well. Just an observation on my part. If anyone else has noticed this, please comment.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Where we live it is hard to pass a cemetery without a cache in it. To us geocaching is about peace and serenity. I like caches in cemeteries where you can reflect and things are quiet. Well, there was this one that someone hid up in a tree that you had to climb- i did not like that one.

I found a cache that was 10' from my grandparents headstone. I did not place it, but i found it. Not a memorable cache, but a memorable location.

The only other problem with caches like that are the people. They're all a bunch of stiffs.

We have found a few in cemetaries but they were all tastefully done. Usually in some trees or near a building or bench. I would be very uncomfortable with a cache on or very near a headstone. Caches along the edges of cemetaries are common and many are well done. Cemetary caches are usually very historic.

Cemetery caches are my favorite caches. I love swag but I still like them even though they're usually small. I haven't seen one placed disrespectfully (yet).

The one's I've been to either bring attention to a smaller, little known cemeteries, historical cemeteries, or military graves. I think they're super cool, they remind us to tread softly, and not disturb muggles.

Cemeteries are usually full of history. Geocaching is a great way to get people to visit and think about that history. Unless a geocache requires me to actually step on a grave to retreive it (which I have come across once), I dont think there is anything wrong with cemetary geocaches. I respect your alternative point of view.

I think its completely subjective. However, one would hope the cache was placed in such a way as not to disturb anything and the cachers searching do nothing to desecrate the area.

Unfortunately there are a lot of cachers that seem to have to rip things a part to get to the cache.

Mer personally? I don't like cemeteries at all, but have been taken to a few cemeteries that held interesting history: Babe Ruth, the Gardiner family plot, all in the Metro NY area.

I thought it was inconsiderate and disrespectful to place a cache inside a cemetary so I did not attempt to find it but I did post a note stateing that I thought it was a poor place for a geocache.

I think it is a you say this I say that thing. Some people think of a cemetery as hallowed ground where no foot shall trod for reasons other than to mourn or pay respect to the dead.

Others think of a cemetery as a gathering place where the opportunity to remember the dead keeps them "real", a place to bring life to.

It's a very modern concept that cemeteries are sterile, solemn places. I think they are fascinating - they expose so much about the people who bury their families there. I learn about people's cultural history and customs, I see incredible creativity, I see imagination being used to express love and grief, and I see traditions that maybe even the people who bury there don't know about.

I enjoy a cache at a cemetery - they take me to graves that I would never see otherwise. I get a chance to think about the people there, to imagine their lives, and to wonder about their deaths. I think of it like this - are you really dead and gone when people still think about you?

I don't think that anyone other than the cache owner should be asking you to remove a post.

On the other hand, I don't know that your choice of posting that a cemetery is a "poor place" for a cache is really appropriate, either. If you were expressing "I choose not to do these" there shouldn't be a problem for anyone but it sounds like your post could have been taken as a bit judgmental or accusatory.

I think that you are right. I was going to delete my post anyway, that's when I saw the email from the other person suggesting that I delete my post. I changed my post to something similar to what you suggested "that I choose not to do this type of cache" then the reviewer that posted the cache sent me an email explaining that the person who placed the cache had permission to do so and asked if that had been included on the cache page would it have made a differance. Then I deleted my post. I love old historic cemetarys and visit them often and take pictures of the headstones, I have a really nice photo collection of them. I like to walk in this cemetery and the trimmed shrub that the cache is in looked different, as if peolpe had been spreading it open to look inside of it. I'm O.K. with the cache being in the cemetary, I just think in the shrub behind the statue was not such a good place for a small hard to find cache. There is another cache in a wooded area that has been there for a long time. I love to place caches, but I will not place one in a cemetary.

I love cemeteries due to their history, serenity, and beauty. I think if one does hide a cache there it needs to be respectful and done in a way not to damage anything. If you are seeking in a cemetery also be respectful.

I know that cemetery caches are banned (whether officially or unofficially, i don't know) in SC due to a series of unfortunate events that nearly led to the demise of geocaching in many places throughout the state. News Article The House billThe bill died but hiders here are still very careful with placement and gaining permission.

I think it's important to keep in mind what outsiders witness and perceive. A majority of us have no problem doing the right things, but we all carry the weight of those who don't do the right things.

They say "Never say never!" - but I'd say, no, never.

I dunno, prolly it's the way I was raised, but cemetaries in my not-so-humble opinion aren't places for the general public to be playing games. You can "love cemetaries" and "appreciate the history" all you want to, & visit them for those purposes.....without being there in a game-playing role.

Imagine how you'd feel if you were visiting the grave of some dearly loved family member or friend, maybe recently departed, paying respects, praying, or whatever.....and a van pulls up nearby, parks & a band of yahoodies burst on the scene yukking it up & creating enough disturbance to rival a 76-piece brass band. Extreme comparison? Remember, this is Geocaching!! -- where "all's fair in love & glory"!!

But mostly, I'd never place one there simply because I have witnessed what Geocachers are willing to do....make that, WILL do, to a place - all for the sake of putting one more digit beside their 'name', on a website 99% of the world will never see. Yes, these same fine, upstanding, "Salt Of The Earth" people - who can be trusted to be on their VERY best behaviour, & never wreck nor disfigure public or private property, just beause they're Geocachers!! -- and their Guidelines say so!!!

No, thank you.

~*

Cemetery caches go on my ignore list. They are disrespectful, and should be banned.

Thank you for trying to force your opinion on everyone. I'm glad you're not running the site.

WOW! That was incredibly rude! OP asked opinions. Only opinions that agree with you are permitted!

When I said I know an old-timer who disagrees with cemetery caches, and ignores them, I wasn't talking about Harry Dolphin! I also know of (but never personally met) a geocacher who was killed in a tragic car accident who was said to disagree with cemetery caches, and ignored them. Please respect all opinions. None of which are being forced upon anyone, best I can tell.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I have done several caches in cemeteries. One was placed by a cacher whose pioneer relatives were interned there.

Yes someday I will likely place a cache in a cemetery, or actually my wife will when I die and she plants me.

Unless I am cremated and them I will have some cachers take me to my favorite mountain top and let me loose in the wind!

My feelings exactly. Unlike some posters, I think it should be up to the person hiding and hunting to make their own personal decision and others should respect their opinion.

Where we live it is hard to pass a cemetery without a cache in it. To us geocaching is about peace and serenity. I like caches in cemeteries where you can reflect and things are quiet. Well, there was this one that someone hid up in a tree that you had to climb- i did not like that one.

I found a cache that was 10' from my grandparents headstone. I did not place it, but i found it. Not a memorable cache, but a memorable location.

The only other problem with caches like that are the people. They're all a bunch of stiffs.

I'm also from NE Ohio and, yes it is very true that virtually every cemetery in the area has a cache in it or one planned for it (unless someone beats me to it).

Cemetery caches go on my ignore list. They are disrespectful, and should be banned.

I support you having a differing opinion from me and your right to have it, but I will not support them being banned. Recently I placed a cache in a cemetery and the reviewer made very certain that the cache was placed in a respectful location before they would approve it. I agree and support their continued effort to make sure caches are placed correctly.

I guess I can also expect you to ignore the cache I plan on having incorporated into the headstone I am designing for when I need to become a resident of a cemetery.

Edited by DiamondDaveG

Thank you for trying to force your opinion on everyone. I'm glad you're not running the site.

WOW! That was incredibly rude! OP asked opinions. Only opinions that agree with you are permitted!

Sorry. It was the way you worded it. Just flat-out saying "They should be banned." That makes me think you want to take away something other people enjoy.

On another side note - one of my all-time faves:

As most of you are prolly aware (especially post-Katrina), New Orleans & its surrounds are, basically speaking, below sea level. What you might not be aware of is - since the water table is so high, that's the reason for the various above-ground burial vaults & crypts, etc in cemetaries there, which you've doubtless seen in many photos, movies etc, if not in person.

Anyway, as the tale goes, an LSU sophomore has a Saturday night date with a frisky Loyola coed -- they go barhopping on Bourbon St, "painting the town", & by the end of the evening are pretty much 'toxon stinko'. As they're passing one of these cemetaries, she admits to a long held fascination to make love atop one of the crypts. The guy eagerly offers to fulfill her fantasy....and so .........

By mid-week, the coed starts feeling awful - very feverish & achy, thinking she might've caught a cold or flu from exposure while lying atop the cold granite of the tomb, so decides to visit the campus health clinic. The nurse tells her to disrobe, & gives her a quick physical exam....and basically confirms it's a bad cold.

As the coed is dressing, the nurse asks, "By the way, how old are you?"

"I'm twenty-one. Why?" she responds.

"Oh....I was just wondering. It says across your butt that you died in 1907."

And now back to your regularly scheduled program!

& no, Vinny.....not 'Tails from the Crypt'!! :blink:

~*

Edited by Star*Hopper

Sorry. It was the way you worded it. Just flat-out saying "They should be banned." That makes me think you want to take away something other people enjoy.

The person that suggested that I delete my post also stated that cemetary caches are banned in the state of Tennessee which is about ten miles from where I live at in the state of Virginia. I know for a fact that the state of Tennessee has a "hold" on any new cache placements in state parks because of people placeing caches without permission on park property. There is some paper work that you have to fill out first and then the cache placement is only good for six months then must be renewed or removed. I try to be a good geocacher and tread lightly but I also have saw the damage left from other geocachers that we all get blamed with. I don't want to see any cache types banned. I just never ran across a cache placement inside of a cemetary, usually they are along the fence or just info on the headstones. I made the mistake to assume that there were some kind of guide line or rule about placeing a cache inside a cemetary, it seems that the cache hiders were just being respectful, and I thank them for being so considerate. Hind sight tells me that I should have not posted my opinion because it only upset someone and they will tell all their geobuddies what a big person they are because they "made" me delete my post. I don't care, they are not my friends anyway. I don't get mad easy but I can hardly wait until the caches that they placed in the park where I work come up for review, thats where my input does count. Seems they are not maintained very well, maybe someone else can have a chance to place a few caches, someone like my uncle. It's not a good idea to send a nasty email to someone that you don't know anything about. Their realailty check is in the mail along with my uncles new cache placement requests.

I don't care, they are not my friends anyway. I don't get mad easy but I can hardly wait until the caches that they placed in the park where I work come up for review, thats where my input does count. Seems they are not maintained very well, maybe someone else can have a chance to place a few caches, someone like my uncle. It's not a good idea to send a nasty email to someone that you don't know anything about. Their realailty check is in the mail along with my uncles new cache placement requests.

Whoa. Your caches have been showing up on my "nearest list" for a while but I reckon I might dodge 'em now. Who's your uncle so I can avoid his, too?

As for caches in cemeteries, depends on how they're done, Ive seen good ones and bad ones.

A new cache just went active in our area (S.W. Virginia) and the driving dirictions showed it to be on the roadside near a public cemetary but when I got to the cache site it was inside the cemetary. (Placed with permission of the grounds keeper) I knew that the cache was hard to find according to other logs and the bush that it is in looked like it had been muggled. I thought it was inconsiderate and disrespectful to place a cache inside a cemetary so I did not attempt to find it but I did post a note stateing that I thought it was a poor place for a geocache. I have found/logged geocaches near cemetarys, along the fences & ect. but I don't know of any that are inside of a cemetary. Then I got some emails (not from the cache owner) suggesting that I delete my note, which I did. I would like to hear input from fellow geocachers on this matter, thanks. :blink:

We placed several caches in a subdivision in our area about 1 month ago. This subdivision is all million dollar homes. We had no idea there was a cemetery there until we drove around to the other side to check out the remaining part of the wetland that sits in the center of the subdivision.

There stood maybe 8 headstones, 3 intact and readable, the rest either broken or so worn we couldn't make out the engravings. There are 2 huge mansions overlooking the plot. We would NEVER place a cache in or immediately next to this or any other cemetery. We walked approximately 1,500 ft. and placed our cache almost in the road.

On the way in and out I took photographs of the graveyard and when we got home I started my research. Turns out one grave is that of a Civil War soldier, another is that of the first settler of the township and another is that of the infant son of the township's Justice of the Peace.

In my quest for information, specifically about the Civil War soldier, I purchased a 1 year membership to a Civil War site just to find out how he died . The story is long and extremely intriguing and the cache page has taken me about 3 weeks to create. When I'm done it will tell the story of each individual who lays at rest in what was once, "Round Grove Cemetery." Hours and hours of research.

Long story short...This is the right way to do it if you're going to place a, "cemetery cache." Show respect for those who are at rest there. Our cache titled, "My Soldier," will be published this week.

How ironic that I placed my very first cache just yesterday, and it's in a cemetary that I used to live right across the street from. http:// http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8a-6353a250d028

Not surprisingly, I have no problem with cemetary caches as long as they are done tastefully. Keep them off of headstones and don't make it so that one has to climb any trees to log a find, and I'm OK with it. As has been stated, cemetaries contain a lot of history, and I think that anytime you have a chance to educate yourself or your children about history, then it's a good thing.

In fact, my main reason for hiding my first cache is because there is an unknown soldier buried there. He was a Civil War veteran, and (being that it is Wisconsin) there are not too many Civil War vets entombed in Wisconsin, so I thought it was rather unique and worthy of attention.

This is also the oldest cemetary in this town and there aren't too many available plots left, so I rarely see mourners there, and I think that's rather sad. If my cache can bring even just a few seekers out to this particular cemetary and will let people discover some of the history there, then I think it's a worthwhile hide. Otherwise that cemetary would just die like it's occupants.

Lastly, I think each cacher is entitiled to his or her own opinion, but mine is pretty basic: If you don't enjoy searching for caches within a cemetary, then simply don't do them; but don't criticize those of us that DO enjoy and appreciate them.

Hind sight tells me that I should have not posted my opinion because it only upset someone and they will tell all their geobuddies what a big person they are because they "made" me delete my post. I don't care, they are not my friends anyway. I don't get mad easy but I can hardly wait until the caches that they placed in the park where I work come up for review, thats where my input does count. Seems they are not maintained very well, maybe someone else can have a chance to place a few caches, someone like my uncle. It's not a good idea to send a nasty email to someone that you don't know anything about. Their realailty check is in the mail along with my uncles new cache placement requests.

Wow. I rescind my previous balanced and conciliatory posting. You're just nuts.

Hind sight tells me that I should have not posted my opinion because it only upset someone and they will tell all their geobuddies what a big person they are because they "made" me delete my post. I don't care, they are not my friends anyway. I don't get mad easy but I can hardly wait until the caches that they placed in the park where I work come up for review, thats where my input does count. Seems they are not maintained very well, maybe someone else can have a chance to place a few caches, someone like my uncle. It's not a good idea to send a nasty email to someone that you don't know anything about. Their realailty check is in the mail along with my uncles new cache placement requests.

This is a highly moderated message board. You're not allowed to tell someone "You're just nuts." :blink:

I did find it unusual the Original Poster didn't realize there were many caches inside cemeteries, and all their previous finds were outside the actual cemetery itself. Me, probably 95% of my cemetery finds have been inside the cemetery. Just a personal observation, some reviewers seem to strongly encourage the cache being outside the cemetery "in the woods", so maybe his local reviewer is such a reviewer.

They say "Never say never!" - but I'd say, no, never.

I dunno, prolly it's the way I was raised, but cemetaries in my not-so-humble opinion aren't places for the general public to be playing games. You can "love cemetaries" and "appreciate the history" all you want to, & visit them for those purposes.....without being there in a game-playing role.

Imagine how you'd feel if you were visiting the grave of some dearly loved family member or friend, maybe recently departed, paying respects, praying, or whatever.....and a van pulls up nearby, parks & a band of yahoodies burst on the scene yukking it up & creating enough disturbance to rival a 76-piece brass band. Extreme comparison? Remember, this is Geocaching!! -- where "all's fair in love & glory"!!

But mostly, I'd never place one there simply because I have witnessed what Geocachers are willing to do....make that, WILL do, to a place - all for the sake of putting one more digit beside their 'name', on a website 99% of the world will never see. Yes, these same fine, upstanding, "Salt Of The Earth" people - who can be trusted to be on their VERY best behaviour, & never wreck nor disfigure public or private property, just beause they're Geocachers!! -- and their Guidelines say so!!!

No, thank you.

~*

I like this, you lump ALL cachers into a group of disrespectful, uncaring rowdies when that's not even close to how most of us go about it! Sorry, but that's not right!

When my best friend Tod died last year, my plan was to place a cache near his headstone so everyone could come and visit with a cacher! I've yet to do this, but am working on the specifics still! And, Tod not only expressed liking the idea of a headstone cache, he enjoyed hunting for cemetery hides...in a quiet and respectful manner!!

I like cemetery hides, they bring us to great places to see history! I have a few caches placed in cemeteries, none on top of a headston or anything...yet! Without these caches, some great history could be missed!

To those who dislike these types of hides, don't hunt them! Simple!

Do you know why they put fences around cemeteries? cause people are dying to get in, Ha Ha Ha . Oh sorry it is just that I heard that joke 30 years ago and still get a kick out of it. Here in Washington state and next door in Oregon there are lots of cem caches, we just did a great one a couple days ago. I have not yet placed one but I might, most are well done and most that we have found all said they were done with permission (how many other caches can you say that about) So lighten up, most of us will be there one day, wouldn't you like a visit from a fellow cacher? If I were to have a headstone (I don't plan to) it would definitely have my geo-name on it somewhere :-)

at play by jc

Just reiterating what I've already said in other threads like this...

I find a big pile of discarded flowers at the edge of the grounds more disrespectful than a cache near a cemetery. I'd prefer not to hunt one in the middle of the tombstones, but only for the reason that it might put a cacher in the wrong place at the wrong time. We often take rubbings and photographs at old, remote cemeteries because they offer a glimpse into the past and into the lives and histories of the people that came before us.

But I have a certain viewpoint in regards to cemeteries and burial in general that I realize most people in the country don't share. I don't understand the modern concept of preserving the dead, placing them in boxes that cost thousands of dollars and then burying them in the ground. I find this to be a needless display of the excesses of our culture and I don't think that converting acres of land into giant grass-covered lawns to be a purposeful use of natural resources.

Do you know why they put fences around cemeteries? cause people are dying to get in, Ha Ha Ha . Oh sorry it is just that I heard that joke 30 years ago and still get a kick out of it.

at play by jc

That one's so funny the last time I heard it, I laughed so hard I fell off my Dinosaur. :blink:

On a side note - it used to be a popular practice to have picnics in the cemeteries. Families would spend an afternoon there. It's amazing how much things change over the years.

It still happens. Just a week ago my wife and I were out caching, and she had brought some sandwiches and stuff so we wouldn't have to buy lunch. A few minutes after noon, we happened to find a cache in a cemetery and there was a picnic table just a few feet from the bush containing the cache. We pulled our cooler out and sat down at the table and had a nice lunch.

Years ago when I used to work, I would spend many a lunch hour going through a drive-thru to get food, then driving to a nearby cemetery to eat my lunch there, on a picnic table.

Cemeteries are wonderful, peaceful places. As long as caches (and cachers) are not disrespectful, I love caches in cemeteries.

Yes, it is an extreme comparison. And unfair. People that will act this way in the presence of grieving relatives will do so without caching as an excuse. Some people are jerks. Some people are cachers. Sometimes the two groups overlap.

Have you actually witnessed such a display?

Cemetaries can be some of the best spots for geocaches. Cemetaries are places that were intended to be visited -- remember that Memorial Day used to be called Decoration Day -- a day for families to pack a picnic and spend the day sprucing up family grave markers after winter.

Too often, these little plots are forgotten and neglected. Sometimes the only time they get any attention is when a cacher stops by. To avoid cemetary caches is to deny our own mortality.

The rules for cemetary caches should be common sense.

Be respectful. These are moms and dads, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, often lost in great sadness. Remember, if YOU plan on being buried, you will spend substantial time in a place like this.

Read the markers. Some are simple, some are elaborate. Some are touching. Some are actually pretty funny. Ponder the shortness of life, and the eternity that stretches before us.

Don't litter (CITO).

Don't steal or mess up the decorations (prop them up if they are in distress.) Watch where you step -- many markers are even with the ground. Be gentle with the landscaping.

Finally, come back another day if there is a burial service going on. (I think I would also avoid holidays where lots of people will be visiting.)

We placed several caches in a subdivision in our area about 1 month ago. This subdivision is all million dollar homes. We had no idea there was a cemetery there until we drove around to the other side to check out the remaining part of the wetland that sits in the center of the subdivision.

There stood maybe 8 headstones, 3 intact and readable, the rest either broken or so worn we couldn't make out the engravings. There are 2 huge mansions overlooking the plot. We would NEVER place a cache in or immediately next to this or any other cemetery. We walked approximately 1,500 ft. and placed our cache almost in the road.

I have no experience with your hides and I'm just judging them by your description above, but I'd be much more likely to seek out one that I knew was near a cemetery than look for caches in a subdivision full of million dollar homes. Much less chance of getting the Neighborhood Watch in a tizzy.

Wow, so know you want to insult me with name calling? I was just having fun venting off because the other person does have three caches in the park and I was upset by their email suggesting that I delete my posted opinion. It shows their lack of respect for others, seems like the two of you have that incommon along with geocacheing. I do keep check on their caches and they are very well maintained. The naturalist here is not geocache friendly, he sees us geocachers as a bunch of distructive thugs stomping down the bushes and scareing the wildlife, he wants them placed at the edge of the trails so no one has to bushwack. The young man (newbie) that buried a cache on the property really upset him, I think that was the last straw. I do have an uncle, but he does not place geocaches. And as far as cache placements in Tennessee State Parks, there is a "freeze" in effect and the person that was in charge of granting permission has retaired and no one in Nashville even knows where to direct my calls about geocaching. Keep in mind that I am a geocacher that likes to place hides of different levels more than I enjoy finding caches. Sad but true, if geocachers would have used the guidelines and been less distructive the State of Tennessee would not have placed a "freeze" on any new cache placements in State Parks, and I really wanted to place an ammo can cache in the back country of our Park. And as far as me being a nut? Well I am a geocacher, Duh....... :blink:

I would like to hear input from fellow geocachers on this matter

I suspect the answers you receive will be as diverse as the cachers you'll find wandering about in here.

My take? If I could acquire proper permission, (explicit rather than implied), I would certainly hide caches in a few cemetaries I know of. The ones I'm thinking about are very old cemeteries, bristling with history. Back before I discovered this game, these are places I would frequent often for other activities/hobbies. Sadly, (for me at least), all three of these cemeteries have opted against giving their permission, so, unless they have a change of heart, I will not be hiding any caches there.

I don't believe that hiding a cache in a cemetery, in and of itself, is in any way disrespectful. If I hid a cache that required you to knock over someone's Aunt Edna's tombstone to make a find, that would be disrespectful, however, a multi, where visitors get dates off of graves, using these to get the coords to a final hidden somewhere away from the actual graves doesn't seem disrespectful.

A new cache just went active in our area (S.W. Virginia) and the driving dirictions showed it to be on the roadside near a public cemetary but when I got to the cache site it was inside the cemetary. (Placed with permission of the grounds keeper) I knew that the cache was hard to find according to other logs and the bush that it is in looked like it had been muggled. I thought it was inconsiderate and disrespectful to place a cache inside a cemetary so I did not attempt to find it but I did post a note stateing that I thought it was a poor place for a geocache. I have found/logged geocaches near cemetarys, along the fences & ect. but I don't know of any that are inside of a cemetary. Then I got some emails (not from the cache owner) suggesting that I delete my note, which I did. I would like to hear input from fellow geocachers on this matter, thanks. :blink:

Looks like both you and the cache owner did your homework. Your note would have been better served as an email to the owner. Noting that the finders are having an impact on the area is important information for the cache owner (and groundskeeper) to have. That way they can adjust the hide or archive it if needed.

That said there is nothing whatsoever inherently disprespectful about a cache inside of a cemetary. Some cachers have mentioned having a cache on their market when they pass. Reality is we bring our own thoughts and ideas to the table. When I watched the movie "Australia" I was suprised to see a note for Aboriginies saying the names of the dead were mentioned. They explained it in the movie and I understood. Jews will place a stone on a grave as a sign of respect. That doesn't strike me as something I would do to be respectful. I'm more inclined to pause in thought, but both are respectful.

Something to ask yourself. Where does the edge of the cemetary begin? I dont like stepping over someone if I know they are under ground. 2' over I don't mind. Thats my 'edge' and it has nothign to do with a fence. Our local cemetary has fenced off about 2 acres of open space for expansion. The fence is an artifical line that doens't have a lot to do with where sacred or respect starts. However in your case it does appear to be where your personal line starts.

It would pay some dividends to search your soul and better understand why you feel the way you do. Then when you are out in the world where you may be passing near, over, or on top of where someone died and it was unmarked lost in the sands of time (like at your fishing hole) you can at least understand why it's ok that you are not paying your respects there, where you do when you know and why that's ok.