How do I change, or add aunit ID in mapsource?

I just bought a new Garmin GPSMAP 60CX a little while ago, and today I brought it back for an exchange because I had an issue with it and they just exchanged it for me. Now the problem I have is that the old serial number, or ID number is in my topo canada and I can't upload any maps to the new unit. How do I change the ID or add another ID to allow me to add maps to the new GPS?

Thanks, 1Woodsman

I just bought a new Garmin GPSMAP 60CX a little while ago, and today I brought it back for an exchange because I had an issue with it and they just exchanged it for me. Now the problem I have is that the old serial number, or ID number is in my topo canada and I can't upload any maps to the new unit. How do I change the ID or add another ID to allow me to add maps to the new GPS?

Thanks, 1Woodsman

I would ask Garmin to switch the codes for the units, after explaining what happened. It might take a couple days for them to get back to you, but they're pretty good about working with their customers.

I had to do that with a Legend HCx after it ended up at the bottom of a canyon with my 60Csx. I asked them if they could do it so I could get my maps back on my GPS, about 2 days later, I got a reply and the code switched (actually a new code).

Thanks, 1Woodsman

I would ask Garmin to switch the codes for the units, after explaining what happened. It might take a couple days for them to get back to you, but they're pretty good about working with their customers.

I had to do that with a Legend HCx after it ended up at the bottom of a canyon with my 60Csx. I asked them if they could do it so I could get my maps back on my GPS, about 2 days later, I got a reply and the code switched (actually a new code).

I'm not sure how they can do that without having my GPS and the old ID number from the one I returned. I just want to be able to have this new GPS recognized by the map program so I can put the maps from the one I returned onto the new unit, so how would they be able to help with that without sending them the new unit?

Thanks, 1Woodsman

Topo Can is not a locked mapset, as such does not require an unlock code.....

If you transfer the map to an sd card, it should work in any garmin device...

Thanks, I do know I can do it that way, and as a matter of fact I think it;s even faster to go about it that way, but as it stands with the new GPS I can no longer use my GPS connected by a USB cable and link it with my mapsource program for any reason. Is there any way to get rid of the old number and have this new one instead?

Thanks, 1Woodsman

Perhaps there is an issue with your new gps unit, as mapsource doesn't care what unit is connected to it.

I use one mapsource, and regularly connect any of 2 blue legends, colorado 300, nuvi 205, and nuvi 350.

Is there is a setting on your 60cx, you may need to enable? Such as spanner mode? Are you running a current build of mapsource?

Well then in light of the responses here, my problem may lie with the fact that I also have City Navigator North America V8 installed,now I know that one is locked, but I rarely even use that, but I have and that may just be the problem. I am using current versions of mapsource, version 6.15.4 I also installed the waypoint manager that came with the GPS. I also have the Ibycus maps that were posted on this forum in one of the posts. These are the topo maps that are supposed to, and really do work with any mapsource product. Either way, does anyone know how or even if I can get the old ID out and the new one in, or if I can have more than one number in there and just not use the old one as it's not needed anymore anyway.

Just an afterthought here, but I wonder if I just deleted both the programs ans reinstalled them? I think though that it's more than likely a windows registry issue and reference that would only show up again on a reinstall if I did that. Any help at all oul be greatly appreciated. I don't se any reference to it at all in the garmin support site of even FAQ

Well, as I suspected, that wouldn't work. I deleted both the mapsource programs and only reinstalled Topo Canada and I got the same issue and I'm now in the process of running the upgrade again because it reverted the program back to the version mine was, 5.4, but wouldn't take out the unit ID which is what is preventing me from connecting my GPS by way of a USB cable.

Thanks, 1Woodsman

Edited by 1Woodsman
but wouldn't take out the unit ID which is what is preventing me from connecting my GPS by way of a USB cable.

As stated earlier, mapsource doesn't care about your unit id. If you cannot connect to the gps in mapsource there is some other issue..not related to unit ID.

In general when you plug the gps into the usb, does it show up in windows as a mass storage device?

I have it working now. I just built the mapset that I wanted and sent it to the unit. Even though the old number came up it still sent it to the unit just the same anyway. So, no issues now and all is working well.Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Thanks, 1Woodsman