High School Geocaching Klub

Hey geocachers, a newbie from Kingston, Ontario (Canada) here. My name is Jay Miller and I'm working with the geography head of my high school to start a cool club for geocaching, environmentalism, geography, and the like. It's called the Geographical and Environmental Ethics Klub (G.E.E.K.) and we're starting up this week. I'm very excited to start different environmental/geocaching missions each week, and we've purchased 5 GPSes so that we can accept anybody, even those without GPSes. Anywho, I suppose I'm just here to break the ice on the forums, but I suppose I am open to your ideas and suggestions! I'll post more about it later, but I may be setting up a blog for this klub.

EDIT: I have found more than one geocache before, but I hadn't tracked my visits, as I was with my dad and he was scoring the visits. He inspired me to create this club. :) Hi, Dad!

Edited by snpmiller

Sounds like it would be fun, In my opinion I would not tie environmentalism too closely to the "klub" as it would be a turn off for some. I consider myself to be extremely concerned for the environment but tend to avoid the situations where it is force fed down my thought in LARGE quantity's. just imo...

Good Luck!

Thank you all for the replies, it seems we're all on the same track. Great advice, these are things I've already followed. I am planting caches on the school yard this weekend and I've got another teacher on board with us who is enthused. The teachers haven't geocached before but are quite enthusiastic about doing it which is brilliant. The club will be announced over the PA for a lunch time pre-lim meeting coming this week and we'll try to arrange our first outing.

Since you mentioned the hides at your school I just wanted to make sure you've read the guidelines on placing a cache. The following are off-limits:

Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

We have a local cacher who has placed a hide at her school, but assured everyone that the school administrators know all about it so there was no need to worry.

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted! :)

Very nice! I tried this year to not really make a club but to get a show of hands and names of who cached at my school. I wanted to get kind of a group together but i never found the time to get it organized. The one thing i got worried about was at another school there was a club that formed, cept they didnt stress that you had to leave the "treasure" where you found it and lots of caches started getting muggled.

Just be careful that everyone in the club understands the do's and don'ts of caching! Let me know how it goes!