DeLorme PN-40: not so positive

aud78

If an owner of PN-40 could kindly measure actual current drawn by device in various conditions using ammeter, we could compare apples to apples. 60CSx draws 88 mA with no backlight and WAAS disabled. What’s the PN-40 number?

Garmin numbers are here.

Aud

If I manage to get an extra day to goof off, I could rig up some jumper leads and run a votage/current discharge graph in order to compute actual power usage, but to be honest, I don't really see much use in doing so. In the end, the only thing that really matters is the amount of time the unit will run on any given type of batteries. That said, I can say for certain that the PN-40 with the backlight off eats through a set of NiMh batteries quicker than my vista-C does with the backlight on the whole time.

If I manage to get an extra day to goof off, I could rig up some jumper leads and run a votage/current discharge graph in order to compute actual power usage, but to be honest, I don't really see much use in doing so. In the end, the only thing that really matters is the amount of time the unit will run on any given type of batteries. That said, I can say for certain that the PN-40 with the backlight off eats through a set of NiMh batteries quicker than my vista-C does with the backlight on the whole time.

Exactly, it's a science project without a merit badge at best. It's like putting your car on a dynamometer to detemine gas mileage to four decimal places. Just fill 'er up when the gauge gets to 3/4 empty.

Exactly, it's a science project without a merit badge at best. It's like putting your car on a dynamometer to detemine gas mileage to four decimal places. Just fill 'er up when the gauge gets to 3/4 empty.

It's more like measuring how many miles you make with one gallon so you can calculate how many you'll make with 20 gallon tank. See embra's post - measurement was already done and result is very clear. PN-40 draws 200 mA while 60CSx draws 88 mA. With identical batteries you will get 227% more time on 60CSx than on PN-40, assuming backlight is not used on either.

Assuming we all here want to help people make informed buying decisions, this is quality information unlike "I love it" or "I just hate it". This is just a plain fact - PN-40 consumes 2x+ more energy than 60CSx. For somebody it does not matter at all because they geocache for couple hours per trip. For others it matters a lot because they do 5 day backpack trips (for go to north pole :blink:).

Aud

Assuming we all here want to help people make informed buying decisions, this is quality information unlike "I love it" or "I just hate it". This is just a plain fact - PN-40 consumes 2x+ more energy than 60CSx. For somebody it does not matter at all because they geocache for couple hours per trip. For others it matters a lot because they do 5 day backpack trips (for go to north pole :blink:).

Aud

Here's a technical term for you Aud....I LOVE IT!!!!! It eats batteries like they're candy, but you know what? I love it anyways...go figure!! But then, I didn't know that was a secret!!

See, I would hope that any serious 5 day backpacker would be capable of doing his/her own homework and figure this out on their own...or shouldn't be going on a 5 dayer? Most of the people hanging out in the forums are geocachers, using the GPS for caching purposes much like many of us PN-40 lovers use it! Sure, there's the occassional serious user who's asking questions, but how many have stated they're looking for a unit to take them on 5 day treks? Compared to those stating they're first time cachers or buying first upgrade or something to that extent?

Of course, there's almost certainly a way to get along with the PN-40 on a 5 day trek or longer...if one were wanting to do so! :blink::D

Aud

Here's a technical term for you Aud....I LOVE IT!!!!! It eats batteries like they're candy, but you know what? I love it anyways...go figure!! But then, I didn't know that was a secret!!

See, I would hope that any serious 5 day backpacker would be capable of doing his/her own homework and figure this out on their own...or shouldn't be going on a 5 dayer? Most of the people hanging out in the forums are geocachers, using the GPS for caching purposes much like many of us PN-40 lovers use it! Sure, there's the occassional serious user who's asking questions, but how many have stated they're looking for a unit to take them on 5 day treks? Compared to those stating they're first time cachers or buying first upgrade or something to that extent?

Of course, there's almost certainly a way to get along with the PN-40 on a 5 day trek or longer...if one were wanting to do so! :blink::D

Actually, I got the PN-40 specifically for doing a 5 day hike across the Olympic Peninsula. I stated that early on. The sway? The imagery. I knew this was going to be a battery eater going into the purchase. I'm a MeriPlat owner so "carry extra batteries" has always been my mantra anyway.

Aud

Of course, there's almost certainly a way to get along with the PN-40 on a 5 day trek or longer...if one were wanting to do so! :blink::)

Actually, I got the PN-40 specifically for doing a 5 day hike across the Olympic Peninsula. I stated that early on. The sway? The imagery. I knew this was going to be a battery eater going into the purchase. I'm a MeriPlat owner so "carry extra batteries" has always been my mantra anyway.

I applaud you, my friend!! And a man with a plan at that, we think a bit alike here! Yes, carrying a few extra batteries can be a bit heavier, but we all make our choices!! Personally, I would look into carrying a light-weight solar generator so I could charge the batteries, but like I said, there's ways one can figure out to make things work for them!

Did you already do this trek?? If so, any pics??

ETA: I'm making plans for something pretty trying for battery usge as well, a bit loftier a goal, but I still think more than doable! It'll be a bit longer a trip than my planned mountain bike ride from Yellowstone N.P. to Addison MI (which failed misreably due to extended bad weather...ended in Cody WY instead), just to give you an idea!!!! :D:)

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Just to clarify on the track recording stopping when full, it's a design feature. There are options in the track settings menu to stop recording when full, begin overwriting the current track, or to automatically save the full tracklog and start a new one. That last option would probably be a better default that what you must have had yours on (presumably the factory setting).

Ah well...at least you're making an informed choice. Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

Actually Max, this one is a bug. I have observed it myself in the field with the unit set to auto-switch. I think the problem may (and I stress may) have something to do with also being set to prompt for trip statistics reset when switching. I observed exactly the reported symptoms. Stopped logging track, track log was on but remained 0% full, the automatically stored track was not visibile in the list. When I manually saved the current track, the automatically stored track appeared in the list. I did not try to upload it, so I have no idea whether it was valid or corrupt. I have, however, also observed the corrupt track upload problem separately.

Aud

I applaud you, my friend!! And a man with a plan at that, we think a bit alike here! Yes, carrying a few extra batteries can be a bit heavier, but we all make our choices!! Personally, I would look into carrying a light-weight solar generator so I could charge the batteries, but like I said, there's ways one can figure out to make things work for them!

Did you already do this trek?? If so, any pics??

ETA: I'm making plans for something pretty trying for battery usge as well, a bit loftier a goal, but I still think more than doable! It'll be a bit longer a trip than my planned mountain bike ride from Yellowstone N.P. to Addison MI (which failed misreably due to extended bad weather...ended in Cody WY instead), just to give you an idea!!!! :P:D

Sorry to create a misunderstanding. I bought it with the plan to do the hike. It will be in 2010 when Square Bear retires from his active service and we will make the trek together. That being said, when my MeriPlat did a factory reset on its own out in the field last Mother's Day, I was also provided the greenlight to purchase a new GPS. I was actually within a week of making the purchase when I caught wind of a rumor of a new DeLorme GPS coming out and that's when you saw me make inquiries on it. I decided in August, to wait for the PN-40's release as this had the advertised funtions I was looking for. I had put some serious research into the likes of the Bushnell Onix 400 and the Garmin Oregon 400t. In retrospect, I'm glad of the purchase I made inspite of other's misgivings and subsequent returns. I was asked once in #geocache if money was no object, would I make a different choice. My answer was absolutely not.

-=-=corrected the IRC name=-=-

Edited by TotemLake

Went out during lunch today to make a quick (I hoped) geocache find in the nearby arroyo. Took the PN-40 and Garmin GPSmap 60Cx. Turned them both on at the same time, and the 60Cx was the first to lock onto a satellite, beating the PN-40 by quite a bit. But, the PN-40 got a good, solid 3D fix about 20-30 seconds before the 60Cx was able to obtain a reliable fix. (p.s. I did not use a stop watch, so these are seat-of-the-pants measurements.)

Edited by volosong