How do you prepare your Ammo Can?

Also, when you start painting, point the spray nozzle away from the object you're painting.

I pointed the nozzle away from the object I was painting. Now, how do you remove spray paint from your face without the use of harsh caustic chemicals????? :unsure: I cannot go to work looking like this!

Edited by geoing nuts
Also, when you start painting, point the spray nozzle away from the object you're painting.

I pointed the nozzle away from the object I was painting. Now, how do you remove spray paint from your face without the use of harsh caustic chemicals????? :unsure: I cannot go to work looking like this!

Don't worry about it. You're camouflaged. You will blend right in.

I've been kinda inspired by Coyote Red to try my hand again at creating a covering or bag.

I'm thinking of buying some generic camo cloth as a starting point, then affixing something like these to it:

sneakyleafs350.jpg

On another note; I found one of my old cans which I pulled after about a year and a half. This is what the moss degredation looks like:

9b71a26d-c9a5-4455-896d-7d488d8985a2.jpg

Though I haven't done it, I have advocating painting cans hot pink to avoid having them mistaken for bombs.

Almost everyone seems to be missing an easy shortcut: isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) removes the military markings. They are just some kind of ink, not real paint.

I use the green stickers, but agree that a well done stencil would be better. The stickers are quick and they work, but are not very well laid out.

I've mostly painted mine with the Rustoleum Stone line of spray paints. These are highly textured, with multiple colors in the grainy stuff, and seem to blend well with many kinds of rock. Downside, they take several hours to dry and need two or three coats. These hides have been in places where I wasn't really trying to hide the cache at all. Still, I've led large (10-15 people) groups of muggles within ten feet of two of these, and none of them noticed.

Edward

My ammo can paint jobs are ok by my standards but not compared to the high standards shown in this thread. Anyway:

stackof4x.jpg

What I have found very effective for micros is printing a digital camo pattern onto label sheets then sticking them directly on the filmcan. I use the 'vinyl' label sheets that hold up reasonably well in the wild.

Here's a good camo image generator that could be tiled onto a sheet for color printing..... and 30 minutes later I still can't find the file image I used. Dangit.

Other sample:

urban_example.jpg

The digital camo pattern is an interesting form: the pixel squares help to break up the outline and trick the eyes. Sitting by itself the pattern looks waay obvious, but in the wild it work brilliantly.

Google MARPAT and CADPAT for some interesting reading. Here's a how-to for umm, other objects.

Hi, I will be hiding my first ammo can pretty soon and would like to no some quick easy ways to get your ammo can prepared to go. are there any good stencils out there that i can use to put on my can? How do you guys prepare a can to go outside? And do you guys have any tips or advice on anything to do with ammo cans that could be handy to know?

I'd recommended placing these inside

I tried making a burlap bag, into which I sewed bumps and other non-straight lines. I wove branches, needles and leaves into the fabric. It looked great as I left, but a week later it had all kinds of chew marks on it and two weeks later some critter took it for nesting. The can was left in the open and was eventually muggled.

Hi, I will be hiding my first ammo can pretty soon and would like to no some quick easy ways to get your ammo can prepared to go. are there any good stencils out there that i can use to put on my can? How do you guys prepare a can to go outside? And do you guys have any tips or advice on anything to do with ammo cans that could be handy to know?

Please don't do that! Unless they have trash bags in them for CITO, don't encourage people by leaving those.

Edited by Knight2000

Please don't do that! Unless they have trash bags in them for CITO, don't encourage people by leaving those.

I suspect that suggestion was in jest.

One suggestion I haven't seen...

The ammo cans I hide don't necessarily have to have much camo. They've been far enough away from anything that I'm not worried about folks seeing it. I usually just pick a flat paint similar to the surroundings and paint the whole can a single color. Then I print up the Stash Note with the geocaching logo, the cache name, my name and phone number, and have it laminated at the local Kinkos. Then, using 3M double-sided tape, I put it on the outside of the cache.

Here's one of my caches, photo taken by a finder:

352d6995-1d22-4456-b4c9-760589500ee8.jpg

And another cache, the pictures from the cachecamera.

861f510d-af9c-4ab6-9474-6d1ba31e5e88.jpg

6ed17e47-db73-4c25-b418-b2a8b43f9c01.jpg

You'd be surprised how well it holds up. Several years so far, and hardly any degradation.

Jamie

I like to paint mine camo, then stencil "Danger High Explosive" on it and also paint one of those radioactive symbols. Then I hide it in plain site near a government building or hospital.

Then I turn on the local news channel and wait :rolleyes:

That brings me back to my high school days and seeing the school evacuated cause a fan of the hardcore band Biohazard put some Biohazard stickers on the trash cans.

I would love to see pics of your guys Ammo cans!!!!!!! Or any kind of geocache that you would like to share.

Why does everyone seem to think that an ammo can has to be cammo'd and hid in the woods? Anyone can hide a cammo'd can. The real trick is to hide on that is bright pink. :)

pigcache001.jpg

Actually, military forces, in particular the SAS (which has a long history of desert combat, stemming from its origins as the Long Range Desert Group during WWII), have used pink as desert camo.

PinkPanther.jpg

The Pink Panther

Edited by Dwoodford