Appalachain Trail - VA to PA

JakeInPA

I have a question for any A.T. vets.

Some cousins and I want to take a 4 day weekend this year to hike part of the A.T. My fiance's family lives in Winchester, VA, so we're thinking about starting down there and hiking back up to PA. I see there are 41 miles in the MD portion of the trail, but I'm still working on finding out how many miles there are between Winchester and MD.

My question is, what's feasible for us to hike in a 3-4day weekend? is 40-60 miles easy enough for 4 young guys?

It sounds like you are planning to hike north so starting at Snickers Gap would be your best bet from Winchester. Bears Den is a nice place to set up a secure shuttle. To be honest though if you only have 3 to 4 days consider Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar. There is so much to see in this section that it would be ashamed to blow through it.

For through hikers it is tradition to complete this (MD) section within one day.

Backpacker magazine May 2007 edition has an article specifically covering this section of the AT. The articles title is Best dadgum Weekend Ever: Walk Across MD on the AT where they also recommend 3 to 4 days for this 41 mile section.

If you have time I would suggest taking a second trip southbound from Harpers Ferry to Snickers Gap. Get a late start on a Friday and make the brutal climb out of Harpers Ferry to the top of the ridge and camp on the ridge overlooking Harpers Ferry. Spend Saturday and Sunday traveling south to Bears Den. Hint, There’s a small bar near snickers gap that caters to hikers. It’s a great place to get a cold one and a bite to eat after you get off the trail…Open Sundays. It’s on Pine Grove road which you cross just before RT 7. The AT sign board at the Snickers Gap trailhead has directions.

It sounds like you are planning to hike north so starting at Snickers Gap would be your best bet from Winchester. Bears Den is a nice place to set up a secure shuttle. To be honest though if you only have 3 to 4 days consider Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar. There is so much to see in this section that it would be ashamed to blow through it.

For through hikers it is tradition to complete this (MD) section within one day.

Backpacker magazine May 2007 edition has an article specifically covering this section of the AT. The articles title is Best dadgum Weekend Ever: Walk Across MD on the AT where they also recommend 3 to 4 days for this 41 mile section.

If you have time I would suggest taking a second trip southbound from Harpers Ferry to Snickers Gap. Get a late start on a Friday and make the brutal climb out of Harpers Ferry to the top of the ridge and camp on the ridge overlooking Harpers Ferry. Spend Saturday and Sunday traveling south to Bears Den. Hint, There’s a small bar near snickers gap that caters to hikers. It’s a great place to get a cold one and a bite to eat after you get off the trail…Open Sundays. It’s on Pine Grove road which you cross just before RT 7. The AT sign board at the Snickers Gap trailhead has directions.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Is there a website or a good source of info/maps for these areas? I hiked a small portion of the AT back in school (about 15 years ago) so I'm not familiar with any of it really. I know how to get to Harpers Ferry, and I've heard of the other areas, but I'm just wondering if there is a site with a well-labeled map? I'll start searching myself too, but I figure people with experience probably know this stuff. Thanks again!

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is your source for everything.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqL...k.BFA3/Home.htm

This link within their site is good for planning your hike. You can get information about shuttles and parking.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqL...e_the_Trail.htm

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is Headquartered in Harpers Ferry So if you can plan your first hike to depart from Harpers Ferry I Highly recommend stopping there first.

Before you start planning your trip I recommend picking up this book.

Appalachian Trail Data Book (2009): $5.95

It's available through the Conservancies On line Store

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemi...26&compid=1

or I purchased mine at Barnes and Noble.

Heres's the description which I copied from the link above.

“Thirty-first edition. A consolidation of the basic information from all 11 A.T. guidebooks into a lightweight table of distances between major Appalachian Trail shelters, road crossings, and features--divided according to the guidebook volumes and updated each fall to account for relocations, new or removed shelters, and other changes. Also keyed to maps.”

Then for the two sections that you want to hike you should purchase the following Topo Maps.

Maryland Map

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemi...37&compid=1

Retail Price: $8.50

Six-color map covering the A.T. from Pen Mar on the Pennsylvania line to Harpers Ferry, W.Va. Contour intervals of 100 feet; scale, 1:62,500. Revised 1998.

and

Northern Virginia Map - North

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemi...38&compid=1

Retail Price: $8.50

Six-color map covering the A.T. from Harpers Ferry, W.Va., to Va. 7. (Snickers Gap) Contour intervals of 10 meters; scale, 1:50,000. Revised 1998.

These maps hold a wealth of information, fold up nicely, and are coated to protect them from the elements. You may be able to find something that you can print out on the Internet somewhere but I recommend purchasing the maps instead.

Another quick question...

I'm sure this is just a matter of opinion, but as far as hiking the whole trail goes...

I see on the link you provided, you can log a "complete hike" in sections. What I'm getting at is, until I retire, I'll never have 5-9 months to do a thru-hike. As much as I'd love to, it's just not going to happen. (maybe I'll hit the lottery?) Anyway, as a AT vet, would you count a "complete" sectional hike as a "complete hike"?

Is it basically split

"sectional completes"

"thru-hike completes"

Does that make sense? I'd love to knock at least one or two sections out each year just to say I did it, but I'm sure there's a much larger sense of accomplishment to be able to do it in one trip.

This is a matter of personal preference. I prefer short trips where I can plan each section and see everything there is to see.

Through hikers are driven by a need to accomplish a different goal and that is to claim that they through hiked the trail which brings a certain level of respect within the backpacking community. It is a respectable feat but I, like you don’t have the time and resources consider a through hike.

The AT Conservancy in Harpers Ferry keeps records of all through hikers and anyone that has hiked it or plans to hike it in sections. Which ever way you decide your accomplishments can be preserved by the Conservancy.

Just a word of advice when you start your planning: Know the rate at which you hike. It makes it easy to plan your trip when you go through the data book. I factor in a 30 minute mile pace which gives me enough time to see the overlooks. Also don’t rely on shelters being available, make sure you have a tent with you.

About Water: This is a ridge top trail so water is usually a short hike some distance down the side of the mountain. Make sure your filter is in good working order and you take plenty of bottles when you. We usually drop the packs and a couple of us will head to the watering holes with all of the bottles which we need to fill leaving someone back to watch the gear.

I hope to see you out there sometime.

Wow, I didn't even think about having a water filter and gathering water like that. Total newb to "real hiking" anyway. Thanks again for the info. I'm going to start looking into this hard for the next few weeks, because we'd really like to try this section in June. I'm taking a couple younger cousins (15, 17) and it would just work best if they're out of school.

We had already planned on taking a tent, because I told them, the two times I was on the AT, the shelters were being used. I think we'll take your advice though and let them know we plan on doing the entire thing in sections. I would still love to say I've hiked/seen the whole thing, sections or not! :blink:

Since it sounds like you are very new to backpacking I would suggest starting with the route from Harpers Ferry to Bears Den (Snickers Gap). At 20 miles it’s about ½ of the distance of the MD section. It will give you a good feel for what it’s like to be out on the trail.

You could do something like this.

Park one car at Bears Den Trail Center. This is the end point of this hike.

http://www.bearsdencenter.org/the

Drive your other shuttle car to Harpers Ferry National Historical Park where the Park offers extended parking for AT Hikers. They will tell you how to register at the gate. If someone is dropping you off better yet. From the Park there is a Shuttle Bus that will take you down into Harpers Ferry. From there you climb up an old stone staircase to Jefferson Rock which overlooks the Shenandoah River. Somewhere there is a side trail that will take you to the ATC Headquarter Building which is about 0.2 miles off of the AT.

When you return to the trail continue southbound across the US340 Bridge. And the AT passes under the bridge on the opposite side of the river. Next is a rigorous climb out of the River Valley to the top of the Ridge taking your time and have plenty of water with you. When you get to the top you will find fire rings scattered around. This is a great place to camp the first night. There’s something about camping while overlooking Harpers Ferry that I really enjoy.

The next day if you start at about 8:30AM you should make it to the David Lesser Memorial Shelter by about noon. You can have lunch here and refill your water bottle. This is your first real chance at getting good water and by this point you will likely need it.

From here it’s about another 3 miles to the Blackburn Trail Center where you can set up camp and get additional water. There’s a hostel there which is first come first serve, On your way there you will pass the tent camping are. Either one is fine.

This leaves the Sunday Hike out to Bears Den Trail Center which is about 8 miles from this point. Normally this would be about four hours for me but there are a few cool overlooks and neat rocky climb, you may want to plan a little more time for this section.

Make sure you all have walking sticks I guarantee it will keep you from falling somewhere along this ridge. If you have a friend that backpacks run your equipment list past them to make sure you are not missing anything essential.

Back to the Water: I carry a 70 oz camelback bladder in my backpack and I also carry 2 32 oz Nalgine Bottles.

Well this is one example of how you could plan your trip. The hiking days may look a little short but it’s probably best to go this route for your first trip since you aren’t sure of everyone’s level yet. And even the most physically fit person could be done in by bad footwear.

This sounds like it would be perfect for us. It will be all younger guys/older teens going. We're all in fairly good shape, but like you said, I'm sure none of them have the greatest footwear and I doubt that all of them will be able to purchase the right footwear by the time we go. So, we probably will just stick with a small section like this and enjoy the views. I don't know of any personal friends that backpack or hike, but I'm sure there are people in our area. I'll look into it and make sure we're set to go before we try to just go out and do it.

Thanks again!

Wow, I didn't even think about having a water filter and gathering water like that. Total newb to "real hiking" anyway. Thanks again for the info. I'm going to start looking into this hard for the next few weeks, because we'd really like to try this section in June. I'm taking a couple younger cousins (15, 17) and it would just work best if they're out of school.

We had already planned on taking a tent, because I told them, the two times I was on the AT, the shelters were being used. I think we'll take your advice though and let them know we plan on doing the entire thing in sections. I would still love to say I've hiked/seen the whole thing, sections or not! :laughing:

If you are relatively new to hiking you might want to roll back your distance goals somewhat. It isn't fun to be totally exhausted and still have 6 miles to go to reach your destination. You are far better off having extra time to take in the sights.

I'm not familiar with this specific section, but the AT in general involves a lot of ups and downs. Throw on a 30 lb pack and it can really slow you down. A veteran backpacker in great shape can knock off 15-25 miles and more a day on the AT. But that is hiking from dawn to dusk and not spending much time enjoying the sights.

I think 10 miles a day is a reasonable goal, unless you are in really good shape.

If you live in Pennsylvania, why not start out from PenMar and go south about half way through Maryland to the Rt. 70 overpass? Or start start at Rt. 70, and go south to Harper's Ferry. Both are very good sections with interesting waypoints along the way. The whole MD section can be done in 3 days, but is a strenuous walk, especially if you are not accustomed to hiking with a full pack. Remember, you'll have to do car shuttles to be able to get home, so that will eat a at least a day of your long weekend.

Coming up from north from Harper's Ferry has a steep, steep climb from the start to Weverton Cliffs and an incredible view, while the southern route from PenMar has more ups and downs -- no real steep climbs, but still some great views from Black Rock and Annapolis Rocks and other spots. PenMar - Rt 70: 18 miles-- Harper's Ferry - Rt 70: 23.5

Having done this section several times from both directions alone and with groups, if you're new to it, I'd suggest the PenMar - Rt 70 section. Second choice, the Rt 70 - Harper's Ferry. Don't make it an endurance run, but rather a timed ramble. You'll enjoy it more.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that section as well. I think we'll definitely start with a small section as many of you have suggested. I haven't had time to really dig into anything yet, but I should have some spare time this weekend.

Anyway, here's my other question. I know there's a separate "hiking boot brand" thread, but my question is, does anyone use just a hiking shoe? I know the disadvantage to these is not being able to keep feet dry or having objects getting in them easier, but they don't seem that bad of an option for me. Figured I'd ask the vets again though....

It's great to hear all the references to Snickers Gap, Harpers Ferry, and Bear's Den. When I was younger, say from the 3rd grade into college, I lived along that part of the AT. Matter of fact, if you make the climb up from HF and get to Route 9, (or what ever they are calling it now) you will be on the edge of the West VA/Virginia state line. Look for a white house with a long white wooden fence. You will see a TENNIS COURT in the yard. It's the only tennis court around..... That was my boyhood home. Happy Hiking!

This is a matter of personal preference. I prefer short trips where I can plan each section and see everything there is to see.

Through hikers are driven by a need to accomplish a different goal and that is to claim that they through hiked the trail which brings a certain level of respect within the backpacking community. It is a respectable feat but I, like you don’t have the time and resources consider a through hike.

<snippage with very good advice about the ATC and water>

Not to be overly picky, but we through hiked in 1990 because it is the ONLY way we would have been able to hike the entire A.T., not because we wanted bragging rights and some sort of "respect" in the hiking community. Please don't assume every through hiker has some sort of ego-driven agenda.

To keep going back and forth and doing a section hike is MORE difficult in my estimation, BTW.

And I and my husband are Life Members of the A.T., so we give back, too.

Another quick question...

I'm sure this is just a matter of opinion, but as far as hiking the whole trail goes...

I see on the link you provided, you can log a "complete hike" in sections. What I'm getting at is, until I retire, I'll never have 5-9 months to do a thru-hike. As much as I'd love to, it's just not going to happen. (maybe I'll hit the lottery?) Anyway, as a AT vet, would you count a "complete" sectional hike as a "complete hike"?

Is it basically split

"sectional completes"

"thru-hike completes"

Does that make sense? I'd love to knock at least one or two sections out each year just to say I did it, but I'm sure there's a much larger sense of accomplishment to be able to do it in one trip.

The ATC does not distinguish between those who did it in one shot, thru-hikers, and those who do it in sections over any period of time, section-hikers. I've been sectioning the trail for 3 years now and plan to complete it next summer. I've had a blast so far, and I really don't care if somebody thinks It's not a "complete hike" because it took all 4 years of college for me to complete it.