Tooo Many Hides !

ervind

Presently i have 75 hides and i seem lately to be interested in unique hides,imagitave hides,kids fun -loving hides....i can maintain my hides cause i've put them close to home....When should i stop hiding ????

When you are tired of it...or you just want to find them. :)

Presently i have 75 hides and i seem lately to be interested in unique hides,imagitave hides,kids fun -loving hides....i can maintain my hides cause i've put them close to home....When should i stop hiding ????

When you cannot take care of them anymore, or when hiding is no longer fun for you. For some that will ne zero, for others it could be dozens or hundreds.

A) When it stops being fun.

:) When maintaining your caches takes up all the time you had to place them it's self limiting.

Only you can answer that.

At one time I thought 40 would be my max. I'm now over 270 with over 200 of them currently active. Most are not a quick maintenance trip, but I can handle that number fairly well. I'm usually on a problem within 2 weeks, though once in a while one slips a bit longer.

We have some people that won't even disable their cache after 7 DNFs in a row over a month ago on an easy cache. IMHO, they have too many caches. To me it's all about how many caches can you responsibility maintain. I don't think they should let some people have more when they can't even maintain what they have.

Edited by TrailGators

We have some people that won't even disable their cache after 7 DNFs in a row over a month ago on an easy cache. IMHO, they have too many caches. To me it's all about how many caches can you responsibility maintain. I don't think they should let some people have more when they can't even maintain what they have.

I totally agree with that and, I might add, that to maintain a cache doesn't mean that when there is a problem you automatically archive it. Plus if you do archive it, you should check on it to see that all of the contents, if the cache is destroyed, are picked up/cleaned up so it doesn't become litter.

What I do is just when i hide a cache i tend to make sure that i do not need to go back for much. For ex) I will keep a big log sheet in the cache, or i will make sure muggles cant see them and that they can last the weather that they will be in. I plan on hiding my first ammo can hide pretty soon!

I am in complete agreement with you. I currently have a cache close to home that because of the location of the hide(it's on the ground, and most DNFs literally walk right on it), tends to be high-maintenance. I have tried to contact the owner (who does not respond) that I would be interested in adopting the cache, in order to prevent some of the maintenance issues (e.g. outdated online descriptions, full log books, compromised containers, etc), but no luck.

Looking at this person's hides, they have 42, but over half have been archived/disabled. So I'm thinking that this person has succumbed to the "no longer fun and too hard to maintain" stage of their geocaching careers. Of those that are still active, many have similar maintenance issues.

So does anyone have advice on how we can help these poor souls, or is there a formalized process to "adopt" a cache (or caches)? Due to the number of caches in my home area it's hard to find a new location to hide my own but I'd love to take over some of the neglected ones and maintain both the listings and the physical caches themselves.

Just thought I would share that I was able to contact the cache owner. He is an older gentleman, and is finding it hard to keep up with them (the majority were placed 3+ years ago).

I have now formally adopted the cache, which was actually a really easy process. To do this, the owner needs to log on to www.geocaching.com/adopt and enter the required information (cache code, new owners name, etc), which sends an adoption request email to the new owner.

Once the new owner clicks the 'accept' link, it is now theirs to edit as they see fit.

You should stop when you get to the point that you admit that you have a problem. (step 1). Next, seek professional help! (step 2). Then take up another addiction/hobby like star counting. (step 3). After all, numbers count! :o

It's not about the numbers - it's about the value. If the caches are truly creative, unique, in interesting places, perceived positively, fun to find, or offer some form of adventure to find/access, then they are legitimate caches. If you would describe any of your caches as mediocre, boring, same as many other caches, or generic, then you've got too many. I may be in the minority, but I think that every so often you should critique your caches and eliminate the lower quality ones, and before placing a cache consider whether you're adding to the quality of geocaching with it. Extremely creative people may be able to place 50+ caches, and less creative people may not be able to place more than a couple. Ask for feedback, and listen to what people say about them, and that will tell you whether you've got enough/too many.

As long as you can do the maintenance on them, then more power to ya!!! :rolleyes: