What Datum point do I Use

Mr Ben

I recently bought a Magellan Triton, and it's fantastic, easy to use, has a map etc... only a couple of problems, one is that it seems you can't download caches for paperless geocaching... But the BIG problem is i have such an array of datum points to use i don't really know where to start. As I live in the UK i assumed i'd need to use the 'GBR36' option, rather than 'EUROP' or any of the others - incliding variously the west coast USA, NSW Australia etc...

Any Ideas?

I have seen that a lot of Cachers suggest the WGS84 - will that still hold true over the pond in the 'Old World?'

Edited by Mr Ben

I have a Triton 400. You cannot download gpx files directly from the website, do this...

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files.

You can use either step 2a, 2b or 2c to get the caches from the website in VP.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx)

2a. Upload the .gpx file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the library tab, select Import to import the file into VP; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

2b. To import multiple gpx files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx files and open VP; click the library tab, then select geocaches(reasure chesat icon). Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want; then drag them into VP

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb; then from VP, click the MyGps tab. Then Click Transfer From PC to My GPS on the left where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton is…

1. Name

2. Cache Type

3. Coordinates

4. Distance from current location

5. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

Edited by SkellyCA