Are these sites a put-on?

Nashota

I am brand new to geo-caching and have had nothing but disappointment on my first adventures . I live off of I-5 in Northern CA and every geo-cache site I've visited has either been trash ridden, private property, or the neighbors are too scary for me to get out of my car and investigate the area for fear of them calling the cops, sicking their dog on me, or pulling out their shotgun.

I need advice from experienced cachers in the areas from Sacramento CA to Yreka and beyond (you who now the mentality) to advise me on where the reliable areas are for caching. I live in the Redding area.

Thank You

Unfortunately, some people hide caches in less then desirable areas without thought as to whether the area is conducive to Geocaching. I've seen caches hidden in trashy areas, sometimes right next to a smelly dumpster. Not the place a mother and her daughter would want to go looking for their first geocache. However there are caches out there just like that, and it is sometimes difficult to filter out those ones. Thankfully those caches are usually the exception rather then the norm.

Do you have any nice parks or hiking trails in the area? There might be some caches already placed in those ares. Use the geocaching google maps to look around some of your favorite areas to see where there are caches.

You might also look at contacting some local members and see if they have any suggestions on good places to cache in the area.

Hello from Burney Ca. I have been caching since 2001. There are lots of caches out there. I have never had a problem with anyone. Try some more and don't worry so much. Four days is not much time to spend on this sport to get so down. Get out there and enjoy.

One thing you could try is having a more experienced cacher take you out and find a few....Then you'll get a better idea of where things are hidden etc...

Another idea would be to look for 'regular' sized caches that are rated at a low difficulty....Small or micro can be hard, but usually 'regular' that are rated low difficulty/terrain are very easy to find...

Good luck and stick with it!!!

I'm sure there are more than a few cachers in your area who would love to show you the ropes.

Here are a couple in Redding:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...dc-65a45a653c84

That one is a 30 cal. ammo box, by a golf course...someone found it a couple days ago, so it should be there

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...77-84649c05f736

Thats another ammo box sized one, recently found

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...g=&numlogs=

That one is a band-aid sized container, but should be easy to find...

If you continue to have bad luck , try posting in the regional forums to see if you can link up with someone who will show you the ropes...Good luck man!

Edited by mantis7

I am brand new to geo-caching and have had nothing but disappointment on my first adventures . I live off of I-5 in Northern CA and every geo-cache site I've visited has either been trash ridden, private property, or the neighbors are too scary for me to get out of my car and investigate the area for fear of them calling the cops, sicking their dog on me, or pulling out their shotgun.

I need advice from experienced cachers in the areas from Sacramento CA to Yreka and beyond (you who now the mentality) to advise me on where the reliable areas are for caching. I live in the Redding area.

Thank You

Geocaching brings you to many wonderful places. Unfortunately in some areas caches such as the ones you found are the norm rather than the exception. My advice is to start researching. Look for the kinds of areas you want to visit and see if there are caches there. The days of simply plugging in cache coordinates and discovering fascinating places are over. You need to spend a lot of time wading through the chaff, but there are many gems out there. So pick your spots wisely and you will find a great deal of enjoyment. (at one time it wasn't this much work).

When I was geocaching in the Sacramento area about 6 years ago there were a lot of great caches. They are probably still there, but now you have to u research. I recall a linear park that followed the American River that had some nice caches. There were also some excellent ones around Folsom Lake. Actually I didn't find a single disappointing cache when I was there. Sad how the situation has changed so drastically in 6 years.

Edited by briansnat

Thank You

We're down in the Sacramento area and might be able to help. We prefer getting out into the country side for caching and have found some pretty nice spots. Let me know what kind of things you'd like to do for caching (hiking, easy drive, 4x, etc.) and I'll see what I can do for ya! (sent you a message as well)

Ky

Edited by kyoteh

Just like everything else I do ... I expect to be an expert on the first try, and when I fail, I get discouraged. That's where my stubborness becomes an asset because I won't give up and eventually I'll find my very first cache! Thanks for all of encouragement.

Unfortunately, some people hide caches in less then desirable areas without thought as to whether the area is conducive to Geocaching. I've seen caches hidden in trashy areas, sometimes right next to a smelly dumpster. Not the place a mother and her daughter would want to go looking for their first geocache. However there are caches out there just like that, and it is sometimes difficult to filter out those ones. Thankfully those caches are usually the exception rather then the norm.

Do you have any nice parks or hiking trails in the area? There might be some caches already placed in those ares. Use the geocaching google maps to look around some of your favorite areas to see where there are caches.

You might also look at contacting some local members and see if they have any suggestions on good places to cache in the area.

I agree with the park suggestion.

One trick I use is when I find a cache that I like I pay attention to who hid it. Then I will go find more of their caches. The reverse is true. If I find a trashy cache I won't find any more caches placed by that hider.

Edited by TrailGators

Just like everything else I do ... I expect to be an expert on the first try, and when I fail, I get discouraged. That's where my stubborness becomes an asset because I won't give up and eventually I'll find my very first cache! Thanks for all of encouragement.

When you are looking at the list os Caches nearby, take a good look at the names of the Caches, and choose a few that have names you think match up to places you recognize(parks, monuments, etc.). the first one I found was named after the ballfield where my niece played softball. Best of Luck.

There are a ton of caches in the Redding outskirts area that are nice areas. There is also the Dunsmier (spelling) and Shasta area's that have some very awesome areas to cache in. Keep on trying and the best thing I have found is the google maps with the caches so I can find the areas that I want to check out. Keep on caching. Lassen