Michigan Geocachers

cachensfun

Lets talk geocaching in Michigan. Stuff you think is cool :) . Something that happened to you while geocaching :anitongue:B):anibad::(:blink::anitongue: ...

If your new say hi and we all will try to get to know you. So here we go let's talk Michigan Geocaching.

Hello!

I found my first cache on St. Patty's Day. My friend told me all about it, so I had to try it. Now I'm hooked! I can't wait to find my next one!

hey there....anyone in Muskegon?

I was wondering if anyone knew any cachers in Muskegon that might adopt a cache? I grew up in Muskegon, and travel there frequently, but it seems smarter to have a cache owner in the same city as the cache for maintenance puproses etc. It is a cache form 2002. But the cache listing is not up to date. Even the construction he/she warns of was done a while ago. The swag they list is not there, and the cache itself is pretty dirty. I cleaned a bunch of junk out. Also, the cache owner has not logged in to Geocaching.com since Jan 1, 2006. It is GCBBCA "OLD SAWMILL". I will adopt, although I have never done it, if need be. I am just trying to use the netwok we have as fellow cachers. Any ideas?

Lets talk geocaching in Michigan. Stuff you think is cool :D . Something that happened to you while geocaching :laughing::D :D :D:laughing::laughing: ...

If your new say hi and we all will try to get to know you. So here we go let's talk Michigan Geocaching.

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I just got started caching this past weekend (April 18,09) and found both that we had set out to find. I love this and wish I had found geocaching a long time ago!!

Anybody in or around Livonia, MI that might like to go along with us on a search or two or just get together? Is there a club around here?? I would really love to meet with others who enjoy geocaching.

Kathy

I'm from Holland MI and just recently got into caching on my 6 month anniversary with my boyfriend. To this date we have found 7. I love it. It is soooo fun. A great way to get out and about :D I LOVE to geocache. It's the best thing since sliced cheese.

I'm in Ann Arbor, and my office is in Allen Park -- always up to cache with others as long as they don't mind my GeoCaching dog, Mugsimus, coming along!

Lets talk geocaching in Michigan. Stuff you think is cool :laughing: . Something that happened to you while geocaching :anitongue::laughing: :laughing: :laughing::huh::laughing: ...

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I just got started caching this past weekend (April 18,09) and found both that we had set out to find. I love this and wish I had found geocaching a long time ago!!

Anybody in or around Livonia, MI that might like to go along with us on a search or two or just get together? Is there a club around here?? I would really love to meet with others who enjoy geocaching.

Kathy

I heard about the sport from my brother in Omaha. I figured I'd give a try. Started last weekend with my daughter. Now I'm hooked. It is pretty much all I think about on the weekends (well some golf thrown in as well). I have introduced some of my family to GC and they love it too. Oh, I live in Battle Creek, but I travel through and around the Detroit area for work, so I plan on finding several over there.

HI there..

new to this wondrous caching experience. Found my first two Cache this very day with my partner north of dexter. Whooopeee.. I live out Ann Arbor/Dexter way. Excited about finding my way to many more caches in the near future. I would be interested in getting to know some local folk. WE could barbecue out at Hudson Mills park before the summers out.. anyone?

peas n luv..

I was born and raised in Ironwood MI at the very western tip of the UP. I am new to GeoCaching, but I totally love it. I am in the Army, so I will be able to geocache all over the place. When I get back from Iraq, my family and I are getting stationed in Alaska :P Seeing as we only have 11 finds, we don't have a large field to choose from, but I would say my favorite cache so far is Bases N Bluffs, which is in our neighboring town of Bessemer. It is a great five part 3/4 multi that will take you to the top of two of the bluffs and some of the best veiws around. Don't let the 4 level terrain deter you. My wife and I did this with our three year old daughter. There were some times where I had to hoist her up level by level up the rock, but she really enjoyed climbing the "mountian." She is a tough little girl.

HI there..

new to this wondrous caching experience. Found my first two Cache this very day with my partner north of dexter. Whooopeee.. I live out Ann Arbor/Dexter way. Excited about finding my way to many more caches in the near future. I would be interested in getting to know some local folk. WE could barbecue out at Hudson Mills park before the summers out.. anyone?

peas n luv..

We just started this past week....we are in the Ann Arbor/Dexter area as well. I took my kids for a few hunts just this afternoon. We are totally, completely ADDICTED!!! There are some great ones out here in Hudson Mills/Delhi.

HI there wandering yoopers, we meet again (in cyberspace).

We are in Christmas, not far from Paradise, but a long ways from Hell! (how many can truly say that?)

Not a multi or a puzzle, but probably one of the best places to visit (very,very few ever have) is GCNWXP

There are a lot of deep woods ammo-can singles, not so many micros to speak of, a few multis

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Hi all. Been caching for a few years now, but this is the first time I've stumbled into a Midwest/Michigan forum. I never took the time, to be honest, to get past "Topics" in the GS Forums. But here I am. So I thought I'd introduce myself and perhaps get to know some fellow local cachers or those who wish to cache in the greatest state in the Union, Michigan.

I live in Holly, outside of Flint. I travel a bit for work - in 3 years time I have 4 countries and 20 states to my 'geo-credit'. I leave expensive swag but rarely take anything. I hate micro/nano caches or any cache in a parking lot. I love cemetary caches, caches with some historical association, and caches in picturesque areas. For me, a camera is required equipment for caching. It is my firm belief that a twisted sense of humor is the best defense against intolerance, the self-righteous, and the mindless zombies that infest positions of authority.

Thats my snapshot...

I've been caching since the summer of 2006 when our whole family was introduced to it by my brother. I had read a newspaper article about letterboxing and had printed some off to do on our camping vacation in the UP. He said, "hey, I read this about this thing called geocaching . . ." and we were off. We still do both, but lots more geocaching.

Our favorites include, Big Bay de Noc Rocky Shore (GCVNJA) in the UP's Garden Peninsula and Mouth of the Two Hearted River (GCGNGK). In the LP - PB-2 River Walk (GCNMWC) is just awesome - it's a 10 stage multi in Mecosta County (I think), near Stanwood and each stage will just make you laugh and shake your head - ANYTHING can be made into a cache!

What has been the best cache found by you in Michigan?

Ours was Nature Treasure you would love it.

Would love to try that one............. BUT it is south of da bridge. Hahahahaha! Someday, as I "occasionally" make it across the Big Mac. I/we generally work areas where micros are few and far between. It just doesn't make sense to place a micro somewhere in the 15,000 acres at the base of a 125 year old white pine, eh?

Someday -- maybe. :(:D

Lets talk geocaching in Michigan. Stuff you think is cool :P . Something that happened to you while geocaching :blink::P;):P:unsure::o ...

Hi Everyone!

Kathy

Welcome to the addiction. I'm down Taylor way so not to far from you. hope to see you on the trails on day.

Hi there! New from LA (Lansing Area :unsure: ). Just started geocaching. Made my first 2 finds today after work. I had fun and can see how geocaching can be addictive. I remember a friend mentioning geocaching several years ago, so it has always been in the back of my mind. This week I decided to finally buy a hand-held unit for hunting. Decided to look into geocaching as a way to learn how to use GPS.

PS: At one of the sites that I visited today I found a lost GPS unit. It looked so sad and abandoned that I brought it home to try and find its owner. If you lost one today let me know.

Hi there! New from LA (Lansing Area :unsure: ). Just started geocaching. Made my first 2 finds today after work. I had fun and can see how geocaching can be addictive. I remember a friend mentioning geocaching several years ago, so it has always been in the back of my mind. This week I decided to finally buy a hand-held unit for hunting. Decided to look into geocaching as a way to learn how to use GPS.

PS: At one of the sites that I visited today I found a lost GPS unit. It looked so sad and abandoned that I brought it home to try and find its owner. If you lost one today let me know.

Lucky find i just keep getting mctoys. No seriously good luck on finding the owner still cant figure out how someone could leave their GPS behind. but i guess anything can happen. Also welcome to the addiction.

Hi there! New from LA (Lansing Area :P ). Just started geocaching. Made my first 2 finds today after work. I had fun and can see how geocaching can be addictive. I remember a friend mentioning geocaching several years ago, so it has always been in the back of my mind. This week I decided to finally buy a hand-held unit for hunting. Decided to look into geocaching as a way to learn how to use GPS.

Welcome to MI (sorry it has to the Lansing area) :unsure::blink::o;):P:P

Born and raised there, left 40+ yrs ago and never looked back. Come on up to da U.P., eh!

Can't claim the GPS, my ancient one still works. So old, it is almost a manual one (think it was made sometime around the Sputnik era) :) !

Try: http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

I know Rockin' Roddy lost his unit. Check for him here on the forums and maybe you can help another great cacher.

I know Rockin' Roddy lost his unit. Check for him here on the forums and maybe you can help another great cacher.

The owner of the unit has been found and it is back home, safe and warm. Thanks. :anibad:

The owner of the unit has been found and it is back home, safe and warm. Thanks. :anibad:

EGGSELENT :laughing::anitongue::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I hate to bring up a subject that most Michiganders hate, and it is still a few months off, but I was wondering what to expect geocaching-wise come winter. Will I be relegated to mostly urban caches? Will I even be able to find woodsy caches that are on the ground? Or will they be even easier if I go in the day after someone else finds one? Any seasoned veterans that have been here through winters, let me know what to expect. I'd hate to give up my obsession for a few months.

Hey everyone. Anyone from around Flat Rock/Rockwood (metro-Detroit) area? i'm fairly new and would love to know how the pros do it!

Hey, PinkiesUp - I live out in Washtenaw County but work downriver and would love to have someone I could cache with down here once in a while. I don't do nearly enough caching since moving to Michigan!

Hello all, I am also new to this and have been having trouble finding caches...I have gone to 5 "easy park and grabs" (or so they say) and haven't been able to find anything. I would love to take my son out and have fun, but so far I'm getting frustrated. Anyone in the Bay City, Midland, Saginaw area willing to take an eager newbie out and show him the ropes??

Hi everyone, I'm a relatively new cacher and enjoy the challenge of geocaching. I got into geocaching in September of 2009. I'm a somewhat avid outdoorsman. I enjoy camping, hunting, fishing. I live in Roseville and started out locating the caches local to me, and this year plan to give a go at some further ones. I have relatives up near Cadillac, Mi. and want to try to get up there and find some wilderness caches. I can't wait to get out and enjoy this new activity. On a side note I also make chainmail and I've incorporated it into my caching addiction. This is an example of the swag I'll be placing in the caches I find. Enjoy and happy hunting.

GC%20SWAG.jpg

Hi Everyone!

Kathy

Hi Kathy, my husband and I live in Livonia :) There is also http://www.mi-geocaching.org/ which is a great group of people!

Roberta

K9 Royale

Edited by K9 Royale

Hello! Near the Grand Rapids area in Kentwood. Found my first cache over the weekend and two more since. Definitely a motivator to keep me physically active, as I normally find any excuse not to go outdoors. :/

Regardless, it looks like it will quickly turn into a hobby I can enjoy, and I'll be sure to bring my wife along and many excursions!

Hi all you Michigan cachers! Just a PA cacher here, BUT we are on our way to the UP for a week of vacation starting on Friday. We head out about 9 am, and will stop at Marblehead Lighthouse in Ohio (Lake Erie) to do the Earthcaches there, and a few others close...picnic lunch and head to the W. Bloomfield area to stay at SILs for the night. Might grab one or two close to her house while we are there. Heading out Saturday to cross the bridge..planning to get a few right across it, while we sight-see and take pics.

Off to Naubinway to check in, and enjoy the week. Plans for lots of caches in fun fun areas. (Castle Rock. Cut River Bridge, Seul Choix Lighthouse and caches in that area, The Big Spring Earth cache, maybe throw in some Bigfoot series caches since I am a BF fanatic and many others thrown into the mix) It looks like an awesome place to visit! See you all soon!!

Next Saturday we'll check out, and head back across the bridge to SIL's house again, but stopping along the way at Indian River to see the Cross in The Woods, and do the caches there.

Staying the night, and heading out in the morning, but going to PA by way of Cabelas. (and getting a few caches in that area that we didn't get on other trips there)

Gee, the husband siad we'll do 4 or 5..I'm thnking we're getting a few more then that! lol

(we're actually caching close to home tomorrow, because there is a cache that we didn't do yet that has a few TB's in it..one wants to go to Canada...gee...we can almost take it there..another wants to see how many miles it can get in a year...we can give it a big boost...like 500+ miles in one hop!! lol)

Edited by FourRiverRatz

Hi Everyone-

I am new to this forum (though not to geocaching). I live in ann arbor and am looking for suggestions of a good area to geocache in on a free day I have coming up. Not to far (say no more than 2 hours away).

Thanks,

abdobrusin

Little late to post up for this seeing as it is from May but have to always throw in Roseville (48066 area code). We have A LOT of active cachers and hiders in this area. I only cache local and can never get a 7 mile radius under the 500 mark for traditional caches.

I am trying to find a partnet to go caching with.

My girlfriend is pregant and unable to do any real geocaching with me.

I live in Riverdale (near Mt. Pleasant/Alma), so I am pretty close to the corner where the 3 southern regions meet.

If anyone is interested email me at dbourg1975@yahoo or respond to this post.

Thanks

well hee it goes. my husband and i are just getting started in the geocahing experiene and mg we are having a blast . we only have 5 now and we are starting with small ones in our are and working outward but we need to start somewhere. by the way we live in Durand MI. we dont know anyone in our are that we can talk to about this but i look online and get a lot of information. like whae caches look likeand you dont really relize all the creativity that goes into these things untill you see them.

i do have a few questions like... i took a pic of the spot where the cache is and my husband took a pic of me putting it back. is it ok to put those kind of pics in here as long as it isnt said exacly where its at?

beforewe were into geocaching and we drove around these places and by these places and also hung out at some of the places ,you dont relise that there are these little notes or trinkets and things like that somtimes so very close to you and you dont even know it. no my husband and i see things and we say to each other" maybe thats a geocache or if it isnt.. that would be a great spot." ithink thats starting an addiction...lol its fun for the family and it s awesome to see the things and places you go.

please let me know if you have any suggestions for me being a newbe or you might be able to answer my question. this one that we took a pic of is so far our favorite and we wold like to show it but i would like to know if it was ok to do so . thank you and you can email me if you like and i will return a message back . thank you and i hope to hear from somone soon thank you.

reneenadrihites@yahoo.com .... thats my email[/b]

I was in Grand Rapids today with my son at a sporting camp hosted by a local high school. While he was doing drills and honing his skills I was wandering around killing time. I was shocked when I stumbled across a hidden cache. I opened the box and signed the log book and took one of the three candy bars. One of the candy bars was opened so I took it and tossed it in the trash. I like to log my finds right away so I turned on my phone. I was surprised to find that the cache did not show up. I was the first to sign the log. This could be my FTF cache. I will have to wait and see if someone puts this cache up on the web site. I could have used this kind of luck on a few other caches. Ok that is my unusual story.

Hey, from Lake Orion!

I actually learned about Geocaching in school. My science teacher was offering us extra credit at the end of the year if we were able to find and log a few. Well, we didn't have a GPSr at the time, and the three or four my teacher had on hand sometimes had two-week waits on them.

Well, the premise of Geocaching that my teacher had offered piqued my interest to the point that I purchased a GPSr for myself, and my dad and I have been caching ever since. Well, admittedly, we took a year-long break, but we're back now!

Our adventures have brought us to countless local areas that we didn't even know existed. And inside places we were already familiar with, our caching has brought us to the most amazing little copses, streams, and hollows off the beaten path.

I enjoy doing deep-forest traditionals, multis, and Earthcaches with my dad. The more urban micros and mystery caches I prefer to do with a goofy group of friends. Just because it's not as fun to act a fool in public without them LOL. :ph34r:

When we took a year-long break from caching, I realized, when we returned to the sport, that I had little memory of all the cool places we had been in the past. I now make it a point to carry a camera with me whenever I cache. :wub:

Hi everyone, I'm a relatively new cacher and enjoy the challenge of geocaching. I got into geocaching in September of 2009. I'm a somewhat avid outdoorsman. I enjoy camping, hunting, fishing. I live in Roseville and started out locating the caches local to me, and this year plan to give a go at some further ones. I have relatives up near Cadillac, Mi. and want to try to get up there and find some wilderness caches. I can't wait to get out and enjoy this new activity. On a side note I also make chainmail and I've incorporated it into my caching addiction. This is an example of the swag I'll be placing in the caches I find. Enjoy and happy hunting.

GC%20SWAG.jpg

Cool swag! Can you leave some in Marquette, MI

buddyandlola

GC%20SWAG.jpg

Cool swag! Can you leave some in Marquette, MI

buddyandlola