Garmin Maps - what are the options

pinelvr

I just bought a Garmin Astro - it is similar to other higher end Garmins in that you can use map source or minisd cards for mapping.

1) I'd like to purchase detailed topo maps but I'm confused about the options and what to do. I don't understand why I would want mapsource versus minisd card ; what's the difference.

2) can i use non garmin maps like National geographic or google or anything else & if so how or should I only buy garmin.

3) Has anyone seen 1:100000 versus 1:24000; is it a big difference in the field?

I am not familiar with the model you have, but Garmin's in general are restricted to Garmin maps. If you have a GPS for vehicle use, I think they only work if you have the maps preloaded onto a memory card. If you can load your own there is one map sources that is free and will work for topo maps. It is

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps

These are high quality state topo maps.

I am not familiar with the model you have, but Garmin's in general are restricted to Garmin maps. If you have a GPS for vehicle use, I think they only work if you have the maps preloaded onto a memory card. If you can load your own there is one map sources that is free and will work for topo maps. It is

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps

These are high quality state topo maps.

Would you recommend these over the Garmin Topo ones? What do experienced users prefer to use for a topo program?

I've traveled all over the forums and found this out. 24K maps are much preferred over 100K maps. Oftentimes, the free maps on the link listed in reply above are preferred for not only free price but for detail of lines and features. I also found out if you buy the DVD version instead of the SD card version, you can use them with your mapsource software on your pc where you can load tracks back and forth etc to your Garmin unit if it supports that. I'm not sure if MAC/Windows so look for that. Some of the Garmin 24K maps that are not yet on DVD, are "due" to be released to not only SD but to DVD soon by Garmin; this only appears to have happened so far (3/09) for two regions in the US.

As my state, pennsylvania, does not have Garmin DVD nor is it listed in the free ones, I have gone ahead and purchased the US topo one for 100K size. I found it at a reseller online for $30 less than Garmin's price (I even had a discount coupon for the Garmin one - which they gave me online when either I registered my GPS product or with setup of a mygarmin account - I forget which).