Does a TB always have an object attached?

Penguin_ar

I am going to release two TBs, one for each of my 13 months old twins. They'll be released into the same cache, but I'll ask that different geocachers take them and the TBs won't have a mission other than to travel far and wide, and see who gets more mileage and travels to more interesting places :D

I am having difficulty coming up with suitable items to attach to the TBs. I don't have any young baby stuff as we moved house and threw lots away, and everything I still have the twins either use or is very cute, and thus not a good TB item as someone might detach it from the TB. So I am considering just attaching the TBs to laminated cards- one side will explain the mission of the TBs, the other side will have a photo of the child whose TB it is. Will this be considered boring/ against etiquette? Do you think a lack of TB traveller object will make it less likely for people to move it from cache to cache?

I am going to release two TBs, one for each of my 13 months old twins. They'll be released into the same cache, but I'll ask that different geocachers take them and the TBs won't have a mission other than to travel far and wide, and see who gets more mileage and travels to more interesting places :)

I am having difficulty coming up with suitable items to attach to the TBs. I don't have any young baby stuff as we moved house and threw lots away, and everything I still have the twins either use or is very cute, and thus not a good TB item as someone might detach it from the TB. So I am considering just attaching the TBs to laminated cards- one side will explain the mission of the TBs, the other side will have a photo of the child whose TB it is. Will this be considered boring/ against etiquette? Do you think a lack of TB traveller object will make it less likely for people to move it from cache to cache?

I think your idea of laminated photos is just fine. I'd be happy to move them along if I found them in a cache. But if you're looking for other ideas, I've found lots of $1.99 keychains that make good travelbugs.

One time we actually found & retrieved a TB that had nothing at all attached to it... just the tag & chain. :mellow:

It didn't appear as if an object was lost off it because it was just beginning its journey.

That's never really not a good idea. Too small and it's easily lost

I hope that bug is still on the move!

One time we actually found & retrieved a TB that had nothing at all attached to it... just the tag & chain. :mellow:

It didn't appear as if an object was lost off it because it was just beginning its journey.

Yep, it appears to still be on the move.

487.2 miles since July of last year.

One time we actually found & retrieved a TB that had nothing at all attached to it... just the tag & chain. :blink:

I found one like that in a Cache of mine, and thought the tag had come off of it's traveler. I disabled my Cache, and took the whole thing home to see if the TB owner would help me determine which item in the Cache was supposed to be attached. I felt silly when they told me there was NO ITEM attached to the bug.

Edit to address the Question...You can attach whatever you like to a TB. A laminated card would be fine, and works great for flat/small/stuffed Caches. I have at least 5 that are "laminated card types" (my 5 Crazy Frogs). When I had them laminated I used the thickest I could get (10 mil). This will allow them to hold up better to the abuse of travel.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I think this is a good inexpensive way of setting off a TB ( if you have a laminator! ) with the added benefit of being able to combine the theme of the TB with the mission all in one.

I've done this with a couple of mine, This Sceptered Isle and Wha's Like Us

Only thing to be aware of is the laminated coating breaking down or being pierced and letting water in - this happened with This Sceptered Isle, making the info a bit unreadable - I've yet to fix.

Cheers.

La Fifi

Thanks for all your input. I've decided to release the twin's TBs with just a laminated card, having a photo of the twin on one side and the mission of the bug (simply to travel widely) on the other; I used the "laminate yourself" stuff from Staples, basically business-card sized sicky plastic that you can put paper in the middle.

If anyone is interested, Robyn's TB is TB2HRVC and Wilbur's is TB2HRV3.