Maps are Good, Right?

vistaman

OK, I just purchased a Garmin Oregon 400t to replace my eTREX Vista, which I adored. The new unit has all the topo maps included.

But I still like topo maps in my hand.

So, this inquiry is about what is the cheapest way to get good quality, inexpensive topo maps (good for day-hikes) in printed form into my cheap hands before I go afield?

Assume I have a Vista high-end PC and a Geocaching premium account, am willing to spend some cash, and demand high quaility. What would you suggest?

My usage would be state/local parks, some state monuments/parks, and certainly on-the-street sites.

Where should I go first? Assuming costs are reasonable, where is the best quality? Are software programs (with latest on-line updates) the best way to go, or are Government sites the most reliable?

All thoughts are welcome.

John

I still like topo maps in my hand.

Where should I go first? Assuming costs are reasonable, where is the best quality? Are software programs (with latest on-line updates) the best way to go, or are Government sites the most reliable?

Topos are a good thing. Good topos are a better thing. They don't run out of batteries either :D I've found two downsides to watch out for with software maps. 1) Even printed on good paper, they don't tend to last long and 2) you'll need to print them with a laser printer if there's any chance they'll get wet (and there's always a chance. There's also the fact that 99.9% of us can only print 8.5x11 so you often need to print multiple maps if you want any detail. If you're caching in the same neck of the woods for the most part, it's a good idea to go ahead and get the real McCoy. I've seen some good software sites though if you want to look into them...

1)Trails.com

2)Topozone.com (I think they've now been aquired by Trails though).

3)Google maps now has topo, but they're not as detailed... they are free though and you can get both photo and topo of the exact same area simultaneously.

4)http://terraserver-usa.com (part of microsoft) is free, too.

5)maptech has both digital printables and they can custom print any area you mark out for them for about $10

I now have a Magellan Triton 400 which uses NG Topo and their propriatary Vantage Point. NG Topo is the map manager and Vantage Point in the geocache manager

Prior to that I used Topographix Expert GPS ($49.95). I use it for caching & hiking. I am a BSA Scoutmaster so hiking is my primary consideration. Expert GPS retrieves USGS maps from the Topographix server and load them to your PC. The only thing that I do to the map is draw in the declination diagram.

They also have a package called GEOBUDDY http://www.geobuddy.com/ for $49.95. It is obviously more attuned to caching.

Both programs have a 30 day free trial period.