Your FTF Experience

We're also not into FTFs and generally avoid going to new caches in our area. Most of the few we have happen by accident. But this recent one on a puzzle cache several hours from our house was nice. It was published February 28, we found it March 7, and no one has found it again yet although that will surely happen soon. (March 7th was also one of the first beautiful spring-like days here so everything we did that day had a special shine to it.)

GC1N5CD

GC1MR5G - TH Trickery

No doubt this was more work than it was worth!

Revisited the site today to retrieve the feet from my ladder, that I lost in the mud the last time I was there in the dark with wildflower1. I did not intend to find the cache today, but as luck would have it, I just happened to look in the right direction, and I saw what I thought might be a cache container. Tree climbing is much easier in the daytime. With no risk to life or limb, I claimed my prize.

The original posted coordinates sent me off in the wrong direction. Had I used the revised coordinates, I would have failed too. In retrospect, using Google Earth as my reference, I actually found the cache at about 34 15.335 118 53.394. Although my GPS is relatively stable near the GZ, I do trust the confirming visual with Google Earth.

So, TFTC! @#$%^ and thanks for the silver bison tube too.

The Infinity Gauntlet. The most fun I've ever had caching.

This week has been like living inside the Myst computer game. There was the top of the sheer cliff with a view for miles. The thundering waterfall. The forest of trees so tall their tops disappeared in the mist. The alpine snow field glistening in bright sunshine. The field of rolling pumice rocks on the slopes of an active volcano, where fierce winds ballooned our clothes and try to fly us like kites.

China near Macau. Got the taxi driver to follow my direction though he could not speak English, or I speak Chinese. Wandered into someone's (apartment building) back yard and searched under, in, up etc until I realized I had punched in the coords wrong. Then 1.9 Km away found a nice park/shine and made the FTF. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC14VJ2

Sarawak - At a great waterfall where I did some swimming http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Middle of winter in the dark just inside Minn. in the middle of no where cache wise. Look up "nearest caches" on the blackberry and find one published that day is the closest cache. No one else attempted it for months. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1HFJE

And for total amusement check out Free The Bench http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1B45F

My son and I have yet to have the experience here in West Michigan. There are 5-6 retired (must be) people that get them within minutes of published time. There are posted stories of two or three of these people arriving at the same exact time. One drives in, looks in his/her rearview and sees so-and-so cacher pulling in behind him (they all know one another) I think there are even a few cops that, somehow, seem to find them first....tax money..well spent. :0)

I gave up on the FTF hunts. I will let the half a dozen obsessed ones reach beyond their already tallied 190+ FTF each. They have kind of killed the thrill..or would be thrill, for me and my 4 year old son. Sad, really.

BUt nice stories above.

My son and I have yet to have the experience here in West Michigan. There are 5-6 retired (must be) people that get them within minutes of published time. There are posted stories of two or three of these people arriving at the same exact time. One drives in, looks in his/her rearview and sees so-and-so cacher pulling in behind him (they all know one another) I think there are even a few cops that, somehow, seem to find them first....tax money..well spent. :0)

I gave up on the FTF hunts. I will let the half a dozen obsessed ones reach beyond their already tallied 190+ FTF each. They have kind of killed the thrill..or would be thrill, for me and my 4 year old son. Sad, really.

BUt nice stories above.

Points of clarification:

1) Yes I work in Law Enforcement, but in the jail, so there is no way for me to cache while working.

2) Making accusation about caching while on duty (spending tax payer's money) can have bad ramifications for the person being accused, especially if its not true.

3) Accusations should be check to make sure they are correct before making them.

My first FTF was Bent and Busted (GC1RKJD, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c-a5f83f2b2afd)

I live in a rural area with a very low cache density within 10 miles of my home coords. As a result I really never expected to have a good opportunity for an FTF but I did want to try to get at least one FTF sometime.

Sitting at home at about 11:30pm I checked e-mail to find that there were new caches published - - - yeah, yeah whatever - they are always 25-45 miles away (I have a 50 mile radius setup for notifications).

Then I saw it - Bent and Busted is only 2.7 miles away? Really - must be a type-o or I'm just getting too sleepy I thought. A click of the link showed it was truly very near by (well under a mile from my office). I'm not dedicated enough to head out in the middle of the night, and the cache is adjacent to or in a local park based on the map which is closed at dusk so I packed up my swag bag and put it by the door with plans for a quick pick in the morning on the way to work.

I'm not a morning person (at least until about 11:30am anyway) but I managed to get up a little early to allow for about 20 minutes to hunt and log my first FTF. I arrived at the cache site and started toward the cache but approached from the wrong side and found myself it some tall grass and weeds. The dew that morning was very heavy and I was starting to get soaked - I had to go to work and failed to plan for the heavy dew. I resigned myself to the fact that I would have to return later after work and get dirty then.

Only a 1/2 day today at work anyway since we close early so at high noon I returned with less excitement. The cache had been published for over 12 hours now and I was sure I would be too late for the FTF. Approached from the correct side this time and found my way to the cache. WhooHoo! I had made it! My first FTF. Most of the regional cachers were already on their way to Geowoodstock I would later find out giving me a little leeway. Having forgotten my pen in the truck I bushwhacked my way out of the hide site, back to the truck to sign the log and returned the cache to its hiding spot.

Fun Fun - - - now I was ready to start getting my ducks in a row for a few hides of my own.

BUt nice stories above.

Points of clarification:

1) Yes I work in Law Enforcement, but in the jail, so there is no way for me to cache while working.

2) Making accusation about caching while on duty (spending tax payer's money) can have bad ramifications for the person being accused, especially if its not true.

3) Accusations should be check to make sure they are correct before making them.

When we see a new cache come up in our area, us and our 4 CHILDREN are out of the house in under 90sec (btw, our kids are 10, 9, 7, and 10 months) because it is a COMPETITION to get FTFs and we know we have to cruise to get them. Last week we arrived at a cache 9 min after it was posted and were still beat out by tourists caching here from K-Zoo. No hard feelings, because the whole fun of caching is just in the challenge and adventure of finding a cache. My suggestion to all is to try to enjoy just finding the caches and spending time with your family doing it(much better than TV or video games) don't make it a competition unless you are ready to compete. BTW, Johngie, Sfly, and all the other cachers we have met are helpful, kindhearted people that are far more concerned with having fun and helping other cachers than they are about snatching a FTF. Please don't spread false rumors about others, even careless, frustrated words can cause big trouble for others-as Johngie said. Also, good caching friends of our who have loads of FTFs go out with their children who are even younger than ours!

~Jason

P.S. Geocaching is meant to be a fun and interactive community, we know many local cachers, participate in some of the meet n greets(which are open to all) and even have get togethers. While we are all friendly with each other, we don't form any "survivor" type alliances, or clue each other in to upcoming FTFs, its a game of honor, and none of us would corrupt that.

GC1QXY0 is mine, the story goes like this: Day 1: published. Day eight: still not found (considering there are about 3 active [in the extreme sense of the word] premium members in driving distance, maybe more, this was very unusual), so I decide to go after it. I look for about 45 minutes, and am thouroughly wet and muddy by that point (the area was literally drenched with rain the night before, and several other nights in the week, and it was a dirt road), so I decide to give up. That evening I decide to give it one more shot. So I go and look for another 5 minutes (oh, by the way, this was a 1 star difficulty and 2 star terrain) and decided to call up my good friends, the owner of the cache, who lived up the road about 30 seconds. They got down there, and low and behold, were the cache had been it was obvious that it had been hit very hard, and the container was gone. We concluded that someone who was a trifle tipsy came driving along and knocked the cache loose, and then it was washed away by the heavy rain. So the owner ( Davis Warrior) went back home and got a replaicement container, came back placed it in a more secure position. I signed the log and got my first FTF. Next morning: One of the previously mentioned active premium members (oblander4cachers) emailed me to this affect: Saw you got the FTF on the cache. We went looking for an hour and looked in every possible location were it could be, but no find. the gps continually took us to the sw corner of the bridge [where the cache was originally]. Please give us a hint, yes we're desperate! So I emailed the about the previous nights experience and they eventually found it.

Thus concludes the story of my memorable first FTF. :)<_<:yikes::lol:

BUt nice stories above.

Points of clarification:

I agree with johngie telling the whole world that "YOU THINK" a cop is caching on the clock using tax payer money could be grounds for a serious law suit..You might want to rethink before you post about a fellow cacher........Especialy a good friend of mine!!

Stop your whining and start caching.

BUt nice stories above.

Points of clarification:

I agree with johngie telling the whole world that "YOU THINK" a cop is caching on the clock using tax payer money could be grounds for a serious law suit..You might want to rethink before you post about a fellow cacher........Especialy a good friend of mine!!

Stop your whining and start caching.

BUt nice stories above.

My best FTF experiance is now any cache that I beat WHO-DEY to.

BTW did it ever occur to you when you went to find your precious FTF in the parking lot of Gentex-----I WORK AT GENTEX OF COURSE I WILL BEAT YOU THERE.

Stop your whining and start caching!

Edited by Super Fly

GC1NVVN Because it was my first FTF and is responsible for my enthusiasm for the persuit of FTF's. I got the FTF for GC1NVTV about 20 minutes later.

GC1VGYV because it is over 300 miles away from my home. Its also in the upper peninsula of Michigan. There is somewhat of a rivalry between the people who live in the U.P. (Yoopers) and those of us who live in the lower peninsula (Trolls). It was satisfying to be a Troll and claim a Yooper FTF.

BUt nice stories above.

BTW did it ever occur to you when you went to find your precious FTF in the parking lot of Gentex-----I WORK AT GENTEX OF COURSE I WILL BEAT YOU THERE.

well...you will enjoy them all because between you and the other four men in the area, my son will never have a FTF. Simply, I do not try any longer for FTF. Nor am I putting any prize in my own caches for a FTF any longer. Why pad the same mens pockets? You four can beat eachother up for the FTF's. think about it..You were at 180 ftf's in May...now you are at 209. You, as you say it "work harder than most" So enjoy your obsession....

And, please correct me if I am wrong, but you work in another GENTEX facility, not this one. Please do make it sound like you walked out of the back door after punching out....or you were next door.

See the log I pasted below on the same cache for the narrative on the FTF houndfest that ensued in search for a FTF. Nice try. :ph34r:

from Johngie.

"Find #1859. I was woken by my phone chirpping and when I looked at it I saw some new caches in the area. I got up and got dressed and jumped into the Geo-blazer and headed off for this location. On the way I hear a horn honk and see Superfly in my rear view mirror. We pull into one location and we find out that we are close by not close enough. As we enter the second location we see Absophoto pull in a head of us. After a short search we found the container. We open the log book and find it blank. FTF #148 shared with Absophoto and Superfly. First cache found using the iphone geocaching app. TFTCSL"

Grace and Peace

-WHO-DEY

BUt nice stories above.

Points of clarification:

Johngie,

I never accused you. That was not a reference to you. We have never met nor do I know anyone who knows you or your career choice. Perhaps a new paragraph would have seperated the two thoughts and eliminated your assumptions. If you notice. I said "a few are even cops" not "one of them". And you are not a cop...so nuff said. Sorry for the confusion...

Grace and Peace

-WHO-DEY

BUt nice stories above.

Points of clarification:

When we see a new cache come up in our area, us and our 4 CHILDREN are out of the house in under 90sec (btw, our kids are 10, 9, 7, and 10 months) because it is a COMPETITION to get FTFs and we know we have to cruise to get them. Last week we arrived at a cache 9 min after it was posted and were still beat out by tourists caching here from K-Zoo. No hard feelings, because the whole fun of caching is just in the challenge and adventure of finding a cache. My suggestion to all is to try to enjoy just finding the caches and spending time with your family doing it(much better than TV or video games) don't make it a competition unless you are ready to compete. BTW, Johngie, Sfly, and all the other cachers we have met are helpful, kindhearted people that are far more concerned with having fun and helping other cachers than they are about snatching a FTF. Please don't spread false rumors about others, even careless, frustrated words can cause big trouble for others-as Johngie said. Also, good caching friends of our who have loads of FTFs go out with their children who are even younger than ours!

~Jason

P.S. Geocaching is meant to be a fun and interactive community, we know many local cachers, participate in some of the meet n greets(which are open to all) and even have get togethers. While we are all friendly with each other, we don't form any "survivor" type alliances, or clue each other in to upcoming FTFs, its a game of honor, and none of us would corrupt that.

well said AbsPhoto.

IF I GET ONE MORE EMAIL FROM YOU GUYS ABOUT "BEING CAREFUL ABOUT SAYING THINGS ABOUT FELLOW CACHERS" I MAY EXPLODE!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

That post was from APRIL and it did not accuse anyone in particular of anything. I did not know Johngie was a jail worker...it was not about or referencing him, as he seems to assume. The facts remains that 4 men get 95% of all FTF's in Ottowa County. ICARED ABOUT GETTING A FTF FOR A FEW MONTHS FOR MY SON. I DO NOT CARE ANYMORE. I DO NOT DO FTF ANYMORE. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!! STOP EMAILING ME WITH BEHAVIORAL TIPS!!!! Man, you guys are taking this WAAAYY to seriously. This is a fun hobby, not a sacred thing. Let's move on! Like SuperFly said...go find a cache! wow.

Grace and Peace,

-WHO-DEY

BUt nice stories above.

well...you will enjoy them all because between you and the other four men in the area, my son will never have a FTF. Simply, I do not try any longer for FTF. Nor am I putting any prize in my own caches for a FTF any longer. Why pad the same mens pockets? You four can beat eachother up for the FTF's. think about it..You were at 180 ftf's in May...now you are at 209. You, as you say it "work harder than most" So enjoy your obsession....

And, please correct me if I am wrong, but you work in another GENTEX facility, not this one. Please do make it sound like you walked out of the back door after punching out....or you were next door.

See the log I pasted below on the same cache for the narrative on the FTF houndfest that ensued in search for a FTF. Nice try. :ph34r:

from Johngie.

"Find #1859. I was woken by my phone chirpping and when I looked at it I saw some new caches in the area. I got up and got dressed and jumped into the Geo-blazer and headed off for this location. On the way I hear a horn honk and see Superfly in my rear view mirror. We pull into one location and we find out that we are close by not close enough. As we enter the second location we see Absophoto pull in a head of us. After a short search we found the container. We open the log book and find it blank. FTF #148 shared with Absophoto and Superfly. First cache found using the iphone geocaching app. TFTCSL"

Grace and Peace

-WHO-DEY

We went from 180 to 209 because we try, also dont hang out here dripping tears of pity for ourselves.

The only reason that your son will never get an FTF is because of YOU and YOU alone, YOU are the one giving up, and for that your son can thank YOU.

Dont call me 40 either, another fact that is incorrect.

Is there any part of your post that has any truth???? I dont see any!!!

IF I GET ONE MORE EMAIL FROM YOU GUYS ABOUT "BEING CAREFUL ABOUT SAYING THINGS ABOUT FELLOW CACHERS" I MAY EXPLODE!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

That post was from APRIL and it did not accuse anyone in particular of anything. I did not know Johngie was a jail worker...it was not about or referencing him, as he seems to assume. The facts remains that 4 men get 95% of all FTF's in Ottowa County. ICARED ABOUT GETTING A FTF FOR A FEW MONTHS FOR MY SON. I DO NOT CARE ANYMORE. I DO NOT DO FTF ANYMORE. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!! STOP EMAILING ME WITH BEHAVIORAL TIPS!!!! Man, you guys are taking this WAAAYY to seriously. This is a fun hobby, not a sacred thing. Let's move on! Like SuperFly said...go find a cache! wow.

Grace and Peace,

-WHO-DEY

MMMMMMMMM POP is that an explosion I just heard????

If you dont want email then stop sending email to me!!!!

BTW if johngie put a cache on your front porch I could still beat you too it, you know that superman is faster than a speeding bullit. :ph34r:

Edited by Super Fly

Never had the joy of a FTF :ph34r: , but came home from work one day to find that my partner had! That was just as good. I was given the scratch and win ticket (FTF gift) as a consolation prize and won..............nothing! Maybe one day, maybe not, but each cache is a first for me...and I can live with that. And hearing the tales of how the FTF was achieved is great. Thanks for sharing.

Okay first and foremost:

Who-Dey isn't ENTIRELY to blame for his/his son's lack of a FTF. the simple undeniable fact is, some people can't just say "hey, there's a new cache I'm going to go get it." and if you're in a city with multiple FTF hounds, then the statistical odds of picking up a FTF are slim.

That said, I believe every single individual involved in that 'discussion' needs to grow up a little bit. :ph34r:

I, as of this moment, only have a single FTF, why? Because 1: I don't drive. 2: I don't care.

The FTF I have infact, in my log I am heckling all the FTF hounds out there >.>

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5d-df35165000ba

Oddly this cache is frelling 2 months old, and has still only been found by myself and Team Redsky (my parents)

IF I GET ONE MORE EMAIL FROM YOU GUYS ABOUT "BEING CAREFUL ABOUT SAYING THINGS ABOUT FELLOW CACHERS" I MAY EXPLODE!!! :ph34r::P:ph34r:

Grace and Peace,

-WHO-DEY

Ah yes, the Groundspeak forums. Can you feel the love in the room?

IF I GET ONE MORE EMAIL FROM YOU GUYS ABOUT "BEING CAREFUL ABOUT SAYING THINGS ABOUT FELLOW CACHERS" I MAY EXPLODE!!! :ph34r::P:ph34r:

Grace and Peace,

-WHO-DEY

MMMMMMMMM POP is that an explosion I just heard????

If you dont want email then stop sending email to me!!!!

BTW if johngie put a cache on your front porch I could still beat you too it, you know that superman is faster than a speeding bullit. :wacko:

1. I replied to the first email, and only that one out of respect.

2. You are right. You would get that FTf before I would. Especially if Johngie palced it...because if he placed it, it would likely be a Micro. My son and I do not look for micro's or nano's. My son like SWAG, not lazy Micro's. So that FTF would be yours, of course, as it would be Ottowa County. Enjoy your fantasy FTF on my front porch. Can you count that as #210? B)

-Grace and Peace

WHO-DEY

Edited by WHO-DEY

BUt nice stories above.

from Johngie.

Grace and Peace

-WHO-DEY

We went from 180 to 209 because we try, also dont hang out here dripping tears of pity for ourselves.

The only reason that your son will never get an FTF is because of YOU and YOU alone, YOU are the one giving up, and for that your son can thank YOU.

Dont call me 40 either, another fact that is incorrect.

Is there any part of your post that has any truth???? I dont see any!!!

My son and I do not care about FTF's any longer. Really, how many times can I say this. He did at one time. for about a month. IMHO We cache for more important, more fun reasons than FTF's. We do it for the walks, the drives to new places, the lunches and "bug juice" we enjoy together, just for the daddy time together...and he likes SWAG. Do not try and say it is my fault for my son not getting what he wanted at one time. That is simply childish. You do not know me or my family. FTF's are just not worth the price of being as obsessed as the hounds of West Michigan. Thanks...I will take enjoyable time with my son over that.

and.....huh? where did I call you 40? you lost me.....

grace and peace,

WHO-DEY

Edited by WHO-DEY

Grace and Peace,

-WHO-DEY

Ah yes, the Groundspeak forums. Can you feel the love in the room?

usually I can feel the love. This place has helped my go from "noob" to wherever I am now. there is some serious knowledge and some very kind people here.

But then there is that ticket to ride...that you did not pay for....and do not want. but it is part of the deal..I guess.

Normally, we would say take the side argument to emails. At this point, my advice is to agree to disagree and move on. For email abuse, send a message to the contact at geocaching email address and forward the messages. Time to move on.

Its a game. You are suppose to have fun. Give that a shot. It is worth it.

I've been fortunate that Muskegon, MI doesn't seem to have the same voracious FTF-hounds that you describe, Who-Dey. I've been able to get 3 FTF's this year, the last of which was today, and was my favorite.

I got to the cache site at 11:30 with my 17-month-old daughter, wandered around for half an hour, and gave up. Logged my DNF when I got home. Check back in the afternoon. Another person had DNF-ed just before me. Got an email at 5:00 saying the coordinates were entered wrong, and had been fixed. An hour later, went back again, this time with 3-year-old daughter, and found the cache relatively quickly.

In the greater scheme of things, I shouldn't have had the FTF, because if the coordinates were right the first time, I would have been second. But, due to a stroke of luck, I got my third FTF and my 3-year-old got a very cool bracelet, which was the FTF prize!

Mike (Mike & Kate)

GC1V5P1

Easy choice as it was my F FTF. Had the day off work and just logged in to check the area. A few I hadn't seen before popped up, so I DL'd to my Garmin and shot out the door on my bicycle. Grabbed first FTF and then spent some time recording hermit crabs as the tide was out. Met a couple other cachers while on the run, too.

FTF is a little nice, but I won't break my leg to do them. Now I have a few I could care less about being FTF.

Funniest was me as the CO. I hid a nano the night before and at 5:37 AM it still hadn't been published. I pulled on some clothes and went out the door with a tube of superglue and a tiny magnet, because I wanted the cache to be a little 'sticky' about where it was, so it would be less likely to fall out. As I was replacing it someone came down the the trail with a GPSr. (within 30 minutes of it not being published yet!!!) Horrors! He turned back and waited while I re-hid it.

Fun watching him look for it, then a 3rd person shows up while we're talking and he can't find it. (though it was indeed there and he did find it on another day.) I must say, I'm staying well away from future caches I hide until the FTF Brigade have swept through.

Edited by DragonsWest
Its a game. You are suppose to have fun. Give that a shot. It is worth it.

More good material for a t-shirt (the other one is "If you don't like it, don't find it").

Normally, I'm all for FTF seekers having their fun. But the discussion here is far from fun. At least no one is threatening geocide yet...

My most memorable FTF was also my first FTF, and my 300th find: GCYRYH

It was a suburban puzzle cache, and I got FTF two days after it was published. It had a simple puzzle to get the coordinates of the first stage. That puzzle was repeated to get the coordinates of ground zero. But there was an additional physical puzzle to find the cache at ground zero. Others had found the "decoy" at ground zero, but I was the first to figure out how to find the cache itself.

I've been fortunate that Muskegon, MI doesn't seem to have the same voracious FTF-hounds that you describe, Who-Dey. I've been able to get 3 FTF's this year, the last of which was today, and was my favorite.

I got to the cache site at 11:30 with my 17-month-old daughter, wandered around for half an hour, and gave up. Logged my DNF when I got home. Check back in the afternoon. Another person had DNF-ed just before me. Got an email at 5:00 saying the coordinates were entered wrong, and had been fixed. An hour later, went back again, this time with 3-year-old daughter, and found the cache relatively quickly.

In the greater scheme of things, I shouldn't have had the FTF, because if the coordinates were right the first time, I would have been second. But, due to a stroke of luck, I got my third FTF and my 3-year-old got a very cool bracelet, which was the FTF prize!

Mike (Mike & Kate)

I love Muskegon!