What to take with us

cpttango30

We are pretty new too. I carry a backpack with the water, snack, pens, spare batteries, cache listings (we are not paperless yet) and swag. We went to the dollar store to pick up some things to trade that are kid friendly. I have also found neat stuff to trade at the local discount tool store.

Edited by fishindaddy

My family and I are new to geocaching but we have found enough now to comment. Our personal rule is that as adults we only take and leave trackable items (we also take pictures - have a camera). We also have a rule for our two children, they must leave something to take something. Before going out on a trek the kids pack their backpack with small old toys that they no longer play with. Sometimes they find things that they would like to have so they trade items. And if there is nothing they want they still leave two items for the next child to come along. Sometimes they leave items which they took from previous caches once they are done playing with them.

Good Post, I am anxious to see how others comment.

It totally depends on the kinds of caches you are doing. If you are into suburban or urban park n grabs, all you need is your GPS, some trading items and money for gas.

If you want a bit more out of your caching experience, you might want to take along water, lunch and some sunscreen and insect repellent.

If you prefer caches that require longer hikes, then take anything you would bring along on a hike. My geocaching pack looks something like this (a photo of everything I bring along in the summer):

26f969a4-ed83-480a-810a-da08d1fccffd.jpg

A writing instrument is always a must have because sometimes even the regular size containers are missing them. Having a few small sheets of extra writing paper comes in handy in case you come upon a cache with a wet/ruined logbook. A small multi-tool (one with needle nose pliers or tweezers) is very nice to have when you come across a micro or nano container that doesn't want to release its log.

Edit to add: A small first aid kit if caching in the woods or on rough terrain. I've gotten a few ouchies from big thorns and falls on rocks. Antiseptic and bandaids where nice to have.

Edited by Pax42

For "SWAG" the dollar stores are a good bet. Yard sales can be a real treasure trove, a lot of stuff for the money.

My "Geo-bag" has extra logs, pens, batteries, swag, first aid kit, snacks, water, spare GPSr, compass and a survival kit. Everything I would need to be comfortable if I would have to spend a night in the woods. For urban caching it stays in the car and I throw some swag in my pockets. Once I hit the countryside and head into the woods, if I'm going to be more than 10 minutes from the car I will take the "Geo-bag".

The most useful tool I've ever used caching is a compact mirror used for looking under benches, around corners and inside tops of things that you can't reach.

Thanks for the great idea! I've got a bad neck and short of laying on my back and looking up it's almost impossible to find some caches. I guess I'll be going shopping for a mirror so I can enjoy myself better. Thanks again!!!! :unsure:

It's easy to get carried away with stuff you load into your geocaching backpack. It's a lot like packing for a trip - most people overpack. I've read some descriptions that defy all reason :unsure: Some pack blankets, emergency food, even a cook stove with pots and pans :D That's fine for an overnight campout or that 5-star hide on top of Everest, but get real. You'll never need it for a typical caching outing.

Here's what I bring. 99% of the time it's enough, and since I usually walk 5 or 6 miles on a typical hunt, it's light:

Water (cooler weather -one 22 oz. bottle, warm weather - two bottles)

GPSr

Cell phone w/camera

Reading glasses

Spare logbooks and pencil stubs

Spare zip-lock bags in various sizes

Notebook

Several pens

First Aid kit

"Tool" kit containing black Sharpie, Swiss Army knife, double-sticky tape, string, magnetic telescoping wand, dental floss, 2 spare fresh AA batteries, sm. spool of wire.

Small swag bag

Anything more than that is excess baggage for me. The backpack weighs about 5 pounds - easy to carry on long geocaching "death marches" :D

We have neat mirrors on handles (automotive dept) which are great for looking round and under, and we don't often take anything, but leave polished pebbles. First Aid kits (minis from dollar stores), eyeglass repair kits, pens on a lanyard (and keyrings), games.

We have a neat store near us, a science emporium, and pick up some neat stuff there - frogs, dinosaurs and the like. We try to leave things that we wouldn't mind getting if we were the kids/adults.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here, (I might have just missed it) is a pair of gloves. I can't imagine poking in and around things looking for a cache, without gloves on.

I once reached into a little hole to see if the cache was in there (it wasn't), and came out with a handful of baby rats. :(

A pair of gardening gloves helps me feel a lot better about the spiders and other creepy crawlers you may run into. :huh:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here, (I might have just missed it) is a pair of gloves. I can't imagine poking in and around things looking for a cache, without gloves on.

I once reached into a little hole to see if the cache was in there (it wasn't), and came out with a handful of baby rats. :(

A pair of gardening gloves helps me feel a lot better about the spiders and other creepy crawlers you may run into. :huh:

A good idea. I don't bring gloves, but I should .....

This was near a cache close to home. It's the open end of a railing:

play_with_jacks_2.jpg

the picture above reminds me to pack my EPI-Pen!!!!!

Wow, the thought out being out on a hike and not having that with me is worse than not having water!

For short walks in a local city park our backpacks contain: water, swag, pens, TP (port-a-johns don't always have it), My EPI-Pen, first aid kit.

For longer walks in a state park our backpacks contain: the above plus snacks, matches, emergency blanket, disposable rainjackets.

We just have the extra stuff in a small stuff bag and toss it in one of our backpacks before we leave the truck.

We always have water since we are using hydration packs.

I once reached into a little hole to see if the cache was in there (it wasn't), and came out with a handful of baby rats. :unsure:

A pair of gardening gloves helps me feel a lot better about the spiders and other creepy crawlers you may run into. :lol:

Oh, how I second the gloves. I left mine at home yesterday and had a too-close-encounter with some stinging nettles. OUCH.

I bought a cache-bag recently, and here's what I take:

-flashlight ($4.99 Dorcy LED light at Target. LOVE it)

-GPS

-two pens/pencil

-Extra ziplocks

-Logs if I have any

-A ziplock of swag

-1st Aid

-GLOVES, lol

-a battery pack for my iPhone

-Leatherman

As for swag, I have gone two routes, with a third underway. I've bought carabiners and other useful items at the dollar store and use those. Also, I've found random cool items at flea markets or whatnot. Lastly, we're about to start making our own swag- epoxy/resin bottle caps with designs, as well as small jewelry items. I can't recall the name of the cacher who posted instructions on the resin, but his stuff is AWESOME.