Major Announcement Re Psycho Urban Cache #13

Vinny & Sue Team

ALERT! MAJOR NOTICE!

---------------------------------------

This post will likely be primarily of interest to members of Team Psycho and other folks interested in really extreme geocaches. Here goes:

Groundspeak has been approached by a major TV channel which wants to film a special TV show on extreme geocaching, featuring several extreme geocaches across the USA and across the world. The show would literally be seen by dozens of millions of people during each showing. Our Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now! was among two or three extreme caches that Groundspeak suggested and approved for the project, and Groundspeak has asked me to try to find a team willing to tackle PUC #13, while being filmed, on any of certain date windows (soon to be finalized), all of which are in March or April.

Aside from the date limitations of March or April only, there is also the additional specification -- agreed unanimously among the producers, Groundspeak admins and myself -- that the find MUST ONLY be done either using climbing gear (including rappelling techniques and rope ascenders, much as Woodlit did, and much as Indy-MD also did) or by helicopter or airship. Obviously, this decision was made in order to make the footage more striking, more breathtaking, more extreme, and more wild! And yes, it will be fine to use a bow and arrow to shoot a monofilament lead line over the piling!

No one involved in the project seems to mind whether the team filmed tackling the cache is one which has already tackled the cache in the past, or if it contains at least some members who have found this cache in the past, or whether the team consists only of newbies. (And, yes, I am bearing in mind the offer by certain members of Team Psycho and the Extreme Team to help future seekers.)

I have been appointed the point person on this project for Groundspeak, in terms of finding a qualified team willing to tackle the cache while being filmed. Remember, the viewing audience will be dozens of millions of persons worldwide per viewing.

I am already in contact with several of the six out-of-state teams that have already announced plans to tackle PUC #13 this summer, and I am also rachig out to local geocachers in Maryland and surrounding states who may wish to get involved. I am hoping also that some of the Team Psycho folks will still be happy to help any team that may attempt this with support and basics (including getting an arrow over the top of the pier!)

If you wish to contact me about this, please DO NOT use PM, as it is too clumsy, and, rather, please contact me at vinny111@mindspring.com or you can call us at our phone number (in the Contacts list at MGS, also on my Facebook account; all the locals in MD/PA/WV/NJ already know it...!)

I hope we get some qualified volunteers -- the folks at Groundspeak HQ are very excited about this possibility, and they, and we, are very proud of this cache.

Thanks!

Is there a chance that the Psycho Urban caches could be opened up for public viewing? At the moment the #13 cache, and a bunch of the others too, are members only listing.

:blink:

Agreed, us lowly non-members cannot view these caches.

$30

If its only $30 bux then you can buy me a Gift Membership :) J/K - I really dont want one. Purpose of my post was to indicate that if you want to get interest in the cache and make the documentary a success you may want to open it up to all members. Are you looking to promote the sport of geocaching or just premium membership sales?

I know times are hard but you have to admit a lot of effort goes into this site and why not reward those who help support it with a few caches reserved for them. Anytime anyone anywhere tries to "sell" you something there has to be incentive for you to buy and if you don't want to buy this product don't but don't be bitter about it.

For me its the query function that I pay for so I can down load info into my palm ,as this it easy and saves tons of ink , paper and time. I don't care about the subscriber only caches as there are a host of other features for your $ 30.00. I if I were a betting man I'd say that those individuals that are really into this hobby enough to have the gear ,take the time and even try something like # 13 are probably premium members anyway.Good luck with finding the right people to represent us to the world.

Edited by tomflushing

I know times are hard but you have to admit a lot of effort goes into this site and why not reward those who help support it with a few caches reserved for them. Anytime anyone anywhere tries to "sell" you something there has to be incentive for you to buy and if you don't want to buy this product don't but don't be bitter about it.

For me its the query function that I pay for so I can down load info into my palm ,as this it easy and saves tons of ink , paper and time. I don't care about the subscriber only caches as there are a host of other features for your $ 30.00. I if I were a betting man I'd say that those individuals that are really into this hobby enough to have the gear ,take the time and even try something like # 13 are probably premium members anyway.Good luck with finding the right people to represent us to the world.

I hear you but I also agree with polskikrol that for this cache because it's going to be on TV, etc. it may make sense to make "public".

That is very cool Vin, congrats! Are you at liberty to say what network? :)

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Is there a chance that the Psycho Urban caches could be opened up for public viewing? At the moment the #13 cache, and a bunch of the others too, are members only listing.

;)

No. For many very good and important reasons, the vast majority of the Psycho Urban Caches (and also a few of the Psycho Backcountry caches), can never be removed from Premium Member Only status.

You know, this sounds like just one more reason for you to become a Premium Member, if only for a month or two or three! :):anicute:

:)

Agreed, us lowly non-members cannot view these caches.

$30

It need not even be $30. Anyone can join for a month-to-month subscription, via Paypal subscription, for the insanely and ridiculously low price of $3 per month, and they are free to cancel the subscription whenever they wish! What a gift! How cheap can membership get?

I hear you but I also agree with polskikrol that for this cache because it's going to be on TV, etc. it may make sense to make "public".

That is very cool Vin, congrats! Are you at liberty to say what network? :)

For a number of very good reasons, this cache, along with most of my other PUCS and some of my PBCs, can never be removed from Premium Member-only status.

And, no, we are not, at this time, disclosing publicly what TV network is involved in the documentary show.

And thanks to everyone for the well wishes!

And... I remain amazed that some folks are still asking/suggesting that the listing be removed from Premium member-only status. The price of a monthly membership is less than the price of mug of cheap beer, and about the price of one gallon of gasoline, for God's sake! :anicute:;)

Update:

As of this afternoon, the core team which will be tackling the cache for the film crew will be a team that had notified me months ago of their intent to tackle this cache this spring, and they will do it sometime in April. The core team has been formed, and currently numbers 7 qualified geocachers. The two team leaders, located in PA and NJ, are currently picking from among about 18 applicants (many of whom had contacted them or me via PM or email) to fill three more positions on the team.

I will continue to post updates as applicable!

I have also noticed that the notification from Groundspeak about the TV shoot came only four hours after a Nebraska cacher posted a rather cryptic and ambiguous note about Chubb Chubbs (along the lines of "...The ChubbChubbs are coming!" on the cache listing page. Very strange!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team
And... I remain amazed that some folks are still asking/suggesting that the listing be removed from Premium member-only status. The price of a monthly membership is less than the price of mug of cheap beer, and about the price of one gallon of gasoline, for God's sake! :):anicute:
I agree. The cost of the gear, transportation, gas, etc. one would need to do that psycho cache makes the measly membership fee an after-thought. Edited by TrailGators
And... I remain amazed that some folks are still asking/suggesting that the listing be removed from Premium member-only status. The price of a monthly membership is less than the price of mug of cheap beer, and about the price of one gallon of gasoline, for God's sake! :):anicute:
I agree. The cost of the gear, transportation, gas, etc. one would need to do that psycho cache makes the measly membership fee an after-thought.

Yes, and, from another perspective, we can also look at it in the following ways, as well:

• let's consider how much it costs the owners of Groundspeak to run the site, in terms of salaries, bandwidth, servers, programmers, etc.
  • the Otter Box container and associated hardware cost me about $28.
  • you know, I could continue, but better to put the rest of my points in a thread dedicated to this topic (that is, of requests to remove the PMOC status) that I will shortly start in the "Geocaching Topics" section...

That is very cool Vin, congrats! Are you at liberty to say what network? :blink:

For a number of very good reasons, this cache, along with most of my other PUCS and some of my PBCs, can never be removed from Premium Member-only status.

And, no, we are not, at this time, disclosing publicly what TV network is involved in the documentary show.

And thanks to everyone for the well wishes!

And... I remain amazed that some folks are still asking/suggesting that the listing be removed from Premium member-only status. The price of a monthly membership is less than the price of mug of cheap beer, and about the price of one gallon of gasoline, for God's sake! :anitongue::anitongue:

Hi, I read your "irritation" forum thread about what it takes to maintain this cache and I confess naiveity and now agree with you on this one. See my post in that thread for more details. Sorry and good luck with it all!

By the way, I was in your state this weekend, it looks like $3 will actually buy almost 1 1/2 gallons of gas there :anibad: (wow, your prices were as cheap as Jersey's......here in NY some places are actually creeping back to $2.50/gallon, though in my exact town they're still in the $2-2.19 range).

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Vinnie,

I agree the PUC cache's should not be made public. If for no other reason than safety. I'd hate to think someone would try them that isn't properly prepared. I'm not saying that paying members are safer than non, but if anyone and everyone can try them the sheer numbers of people attempting these will just beg for someone being hurt.

Hi, I read your "irritation" forum thread about what it takes to maintain this cache and I confess naiveity and now agree with you on this one. See my post in that thread for more details. Sorry and good luck with it all!

Thanks for your note, and I enjoyed your longer post on this topic in the Geo Topics section of the forum.

By the way, I was in your state this weekend, it looks like $3 will actually buy almost 1 1/2 gallons of gas there :blink: (wow, your prices were as cheap as Jersey's......here in NY some places are actually creeping back to $2.50/gallon, though in my exact town they're still in the $2-2.19 range).

Yes, I often pay well below $2 per gallon for gasoline nowadays, and, with my Giant Eagle supermarket discount card, I often pay just $1.20 per gallon. Weird!

BTW, sorry about the sneaky trick that we played on you wherein we hacked into the Groundspeak server via a back door and hid the cache listings for all of the 314 caches in Druid Hill Park in Baltimore, save one that we accidentally overlooked. We were just tryina be funny and pull your leg by hiding those 313 caches! Really!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I find it sort of funny when somebody posts a major event about his/her cache like being featured on TV. Which in imho is a major honor. And the only replies are complaints about "premium" caches.

People... this is MAJOR and very COOL. The CO is obviously very excited (as he should be) and put a lot of effort into this cache and now its being "officially" recognized. How about giving the guy some probs? :antenna:

I find it sort of funny when somebody posts a major event about his/her cache like being featured on TV. Which in imho is a major honor. And the only replies are complaints about "premium" caches.

People... this is MAJOR and very COOL. The CO is obviously very excited (as he should be) and put a lot of effort into this cache and now its being "officially" recognized. How about giving the guy some probs? :antenna:

I agree.

Way to go Vinnie! :antenna:

Edited by TrailGators

Folks, just a quick update, as the primary purpose of this thread was to help to ensure that a good and workable team -- and preferably with one of the teams that had already announced to me that they were planning to tackle this cache this spring or summer at the core -- coalesced that would be willing and able to tackle the cache for the film crew before the end of April. In other words, this was largely a recruiting and organizing thread to help form/coalesce the team that would tackle the cache for the film crew. And, here then, is the latest update:

Much as I announced a few days ago, the two team leaders (Linuxxpert and Gipsie) and their core team had been formed by that time, consisting of about five persons in total. The two team leaders have now notified me that they have picked additional team members from among 24 applicants to bring the team membership up to 12 or 13, and they have now finished their assessment of the skill level and equipment (i.e,. boats, FRS radios, climbing gear, rope gear, binoculars, handguns, anti-Sioneva spray) contributed by each team member, and finally, they have agreed on a few candidate dates -- all in April -- for the effort that will be submitted to Groundspeak and the production company for finalization.

Once the filming date has been finalized, we may or may not choose to announce the actual date for the team attempt on PUC #13 while being filmed. If we are quite sure that prospective geocacher-spectators will fully understand that they will not be allowed by the two team leaders to join the team willy-nilly at the last minute, and that they also understand that they will not be allowed to log a find just because they "watched" (believe me, I have seen this happen before on really extreme geocaches....), then we will likely announce the date so that folks can come watch the effort, which will likely last from 6 to 10 hours.

I wish to extend my thanks to the folks who volunteered, and to the folks who contributed to the thread to date.

Folks, just a quick update...

Dwight, aka Snurt, one of the members of the FTF team on this cache and also a member of the current team headed by the team leaders Linuxxpert and Gipsie, sent each of us an email this morning advising us of the following sobering news:

At 07:06 AM 4/1/2009, dwight, aka Snurt wrote:

Hi Vinny and team leaders,

While observing the PUC#13 pylon from the Rumsey Overlook on Sat, Dutch, DJ, gipsie and I were surprized to see nesting geese, at least we concluded they are local-type canadian geese, on the first and third pylons. This is a new development as I don't remember seeing denizen on any of these piers over the years.

We also noted what appeared to nest of sticks and other detritus on the PUC#13 pier, but didn't give it any thought as we didn't see fowl of any type alight there. Visiting again yesterday morning, I was dismayed to see what appeared to be an eagle atop the aforementioned stick pile. A telephone call to NCTC upriver (site of eagle cam) quickly confirmed that eagles are indeed present on the rostrum at PUC#13. This does not bode well for the efforts and media event that we all have been anticipating so much.

First the white-nosed bats at PUC#14 and now this. Needless to say we are all crestfallen. I have held off sharing until I was sure, and until I had consulted with Dutch and gipsie.

with care,

Dwight/Snurt

I was quite delighted to receive this news, and sent the following post in reply to Dwight/Snurt, with ccs to the team leaders:

Hi Dwight:

Thanks for your note. This is an interesting development, and a very good one. First, let me remind everyone that it is against federal law to harm eagles, so you are not allowed to harm the eagles.

Next, this development is GREAT news from the viewpoint of the producer and the film crew, because it will give them GREAT footage, much along the following lines:

...as each climber crests the top of the pier, they will be attacked viciously by the adult eagles, resulting in horrific damage to their faces, arms and hands, after which they will fall to their death, screaming and dripping blood all the while, while the camera crew catches it all on film. Please remember to advise all climbing crew members to fall only on the WV side or the downstream side, to all the camera crews the best shots, and to scream loudly and clearly, horrific writhing is also recommended, as this sells TV time in a MAJOR way!

I am busy today, but I will inform Groundspeak admins and the film crew of this exciting development tomorrow morning. Gipsie, please be sure that your will names me as a beneficiary of your sizeable estate. Thank you for doing the needful.

Dwight, thank you for this wonderful news! Today is indeed a glorious first day of April! What a beautiful way to greet the springtime!

with care,

--Vinny

On closer inspection you will also note that the 6th pylon is being used as a staging area to transport alien grays through the Alpha 6 Wormhole to earth. As everyone knows by being that close to a wormhole a person risks transportation into an alternate universes.

Just wondering - is it classed as "harmful" to throw Hamsters to the eagles in order to distract them from attacking the caching crew ?

Yes, it is illegal, as ANY activity that might distract the eagles could have the undesirable effect of reducing the amount of damage done by the eagles to the climbers, and then the amount of highly-desirable blood, gore and screaming would be reduced and that would be a very bad thing, from the viewpoint of maximum visual effect for the cameras.

On closer inspection you will also note that the 6th pylon is being used as a staging area to transport alien grays through the Alpha 6 Wormhole to earth. As everyone knows by being that close to a wormhole a person risks transportation into an alternate universes.

I am very disappointed at your post. You know, and have known, darn well that none of us are allowed to talk about that phenomenon, that is, the wormhole portal (Alpha 6 type), in public. Because of your gross and fragrant, I mean, flagrant violation of the rule, I was forced yesterday to report the content of your very unwise written communique to the Interdimensional Transport Council. You may wish to steel yourself, I mean, prepare yourself for a 3 AM visit from the Men In Black.

In retaliation for your transgression, the Council has all but decided to commandeer the somewhat rusted steel lattice TV antenna tower located on the northern side of your garage for use as a 24-hour-per-day portal for reptoid reptilians arriving on our earth from alternate dimensional worlds. They send their apologies in advance about the noise and intense flashes of light that will occur throughout the day and night as the portal field alternately expands and then quenches, and also about the alien reptoid reptilians that will end up queuing up on your front lawn.

Thank you in advance for complying with the needful.

I am guessing from the lack of posts over the years that this never happened? Would love to see the show on extreme geocaching.. Was a "dope on a rope" us army, and wanting to tackle a few repelling caches..

IIRC, that group did access some of the caches, but only saw a couple of youtube vids.

Their site's been down for some time...