Geocoin Graveyards?

teamhaynes

I have had the first and only coin I released, a 2008 Volunteer Coin, recently go missing :ph34r: after a 600 mile journey. I moved it to missing, but then I have come across several geocoin graveyards (GC1MGDW) for example.

Do any of you folks ever place your missing coins in these, and what do you think of this option for missing coins.

Thanks

I have had the first and only coin I released, a 2008 Volunteer Coin, recently go missing :ph34r: after a 600 mile journey. I moved it to missing, but then I have come across several geocoin graveyards (GC1MGDW) for example.

Do any of you folks ever place your missing coins in these, and what do you think of this option for missing coins.

Thanks

I think it's a good option, I would consider it. If the coin is ever found, it can always be Grabbed by whoever finds it. I haven't moved a Coin into one, but I can't remember if I've put a TB in any.

Thanks

The Mark Missing option was put in place because of the graveyards. Graveyards are no longer necessary. Sorry about your coin, but if it is found it can put back in play just by grabbing it from the missing location, and it won't add any false mileage to it. You can always hope for its safe return.

Thanks

The Mark Missing option was put in place because of the graveyards. Graveyards are no longer necessary. Sorry about your coin, but if it is found it can put back in play just by grabbing it from the missing location, and it won't add any false mileage to it. You can always hope for its safe return.

I did mark it missing about 2 months after the last log and after several cachers reported that it was not in the cache...I am hoping someone grabbed it and will eventually log it. I won it at an event about 3 weeks after I started Geocaching (actually my daughter did) Now that I am paying more attention to coins, I realize that the volunteer coins are a little more special/rare and I probably would have kept it in a collection if I had known.

Oh well

I'm a bit surprised a graveyard cache was approved so recently. Makes me wonder.

People complain about mileage not working right and then....this?

And logging a Found it log?

Backdoor Virtual cache if you ask me.

Edit: Excuse me, Backdoor Armchair Virtual cache if you ask me.

Edited by BlueDeuce

<rant>

I have a real problem with so-called "graveyard caches".

Some of my missing travelers have been moved to these....places...by persons unknown to me, who have not communicated with me and have no stinkin' business messing with my travelers on-line.

How do they know that they are gone forever? Unless they have stolen them or destroyed them, they do not know if they are riding in the bottom of some one's swag bag.

I don't use these...places...My answer is KEEP your hands off MY travelers.

Short answer? They ought to be gotten rid of.

How reviewers justify these things when it is clearly described as a graveyard cache in the write up is beyond me.

</rant>

Thanks for all of the input folks, I appreaciate your thoughts and ideas. I wasn't thinking of the mileage logging when I put this topic up and had no idea of the history behind these type of caches.

I thought that if a coin was gone it would be fun to have its final resting place be somewhere else (in another country, at sea....), but it seems that the general consensus is that these caches should be prohibited since they are essential virtual or armchair caches.

At this point, I figure it is too early to write off my coin, although I honestly think it has become a permanent part of someones collection. I will leave it as missing and hope for the best.

We have put 2 coins in a Virtual graveyard, rules are notes only, it's not a find it log. we did sent a TB there, but it was found i n the bottom of a bag several months after it went MIA, I don't see a problem as long as it is the owner that does the placing and there is no find log. 2c from South Australia.

cheers

Gayle & Mark

Mark As Missing. You can't get any simpler than that. There is no need for graveyards and false mileage and false visits. That is why there is a Mark As Missing option.

To retrieve a trackable item from the "Unknown Location" (or the graveyard, where it needn't be), you just log a "grab it from somewhere else".

Mark As Missing. You can't get any simpler than that. There is no need for graveyards and false mileage and false visits. That is why there is a Mark As Missing option.

To retrieve a trackable item from the "Unknown Location" (or the graveyard, where it needn't be), you just log a "grab it from somewhere else".

This no workie, I get this message:

The listing has been locked and is not accepting new log entries.

Any other suggestions

This no workie, I get this message:

The listing has been locked and is not accepting new log entries.

Any other suggestions

The trackable listing is locked? That only happens when there has been an abuse of the system, ie: the owner allowing virtual logs from people who never saw the item. Please send me a link to what you are talking about, so I can look into it. You can send me a PM with it.