FTF Hogs

Do you think there is such a thing as a FTF Hog. :( in our area there are several that go right after them (I'm included) if the opportunity presents itself. I know a lot of None FTFers get mad :ph34r: saying that all the new caches are FTF Hogged by just a few people. One cacher went so far as to post on his bio page that people that target FTFs on a regular basis are practicing "Poor Sportsmanship" and should do something better with their time, such as Volunteer for Community services.

Just thought I would see what some of you thought about the subject. Thanks in advance for your response.

Scubasonic

Sorry to say but yep, there are FTF hogs out there. I can only say I am half a hog. Sometimes I go for the FTF, sometimes I dont. Depends on how I feel. But there are others out there (and I know a few around here that get under my skin) that basically sit on their computer and wait like vultures. Then when one pops up, off they go in a hurry. Just got deal with it I guess. It is a little irritating, but what ya gonna do about it?

All is fair in Love, War and FTFs. :ph34r:

If someone else has the gumption to get off their butt in the wee hours of the night or ~gasp~ morning, to go get a FTF, well more power to them!

Unless the FTF "Hounds" (as we call them 'round here) are deflating the tires on your cachemobile, or nailing your door shut so you can't get out, then they are doing nothing wrong. There is nothing to stop anyone from going for a FTF, except their own unwillingness to go for it. I really don't understand the folks who whine about losing the FTF to someone else, just because they got there first. :(

Edited by team moxiepup

All is fain Love, War and FTFs. :ph34r:

If someone else has the gumption to get off their butt in the wee hours of the night or ~gasp~ morning, to go get a FTF, well more power to them!

Unless the FTF "Hounds" (as we call them 'round here) are deflating the tires on your cachemobile, or nailing your door shut so you can't get out, then they are doing nothing wrong. There is nothing to stop anyone from going for a FTF, except their own unwillingness to go for it. I really don't understand the folks who whine about losing the FTF to someone else, just because they got there first. :(

That's kinda what I felt If I get beat to a FTF then "GOOD FOR THEM" the thing I like most is I neet so many cachers doing FTFs.

Scubasonic

I love doing FTF's as most of the time they come out in the evening. I enjoy the night caching aspect of it as well.

Yeah I used to rush out the door and try and get the FTF, most of the time I did. Most of my FTF's where in woods and in the middle of nowhere, with just the moon and a torch to light my way. I have had a few day light one's. The night one's are really great I find.

However, I have taken a slight step back from rushing to a potential FTF (well I had two yesterday morning, just to prove to myself I can still do it). Just to build up some nice caches in the area I can do with the family.

All in all I don't mind people rushing out to do one, just as long as they do not hurt anyone.

Do you think there is such a thing as a FTF Hog. :( in our area there are several that go right after them (I'm included) if the opportunity presents itself. I know a lot of None FTFers get mad :ph34r: saying that all the new caches are FTF Hogged by just a few people. One cacher went so far as to post on his bio page that people that target FTFs on a regular basis are practicing "Poor Sportsmanship" and should do something better with their time, such as Volunteer for Community services.

Just thought I would see what some of you thought about the subject. Thanks in advance for your response.

Scubasonic

First, for complete disclosure as required by federal law, neither Sue nor I are into FTFs, although we have gotten a few accidentally. Now, moving on:

Sure, there are geocachers who are FTF hogs, but, to me, that is not necessarily a derogatory term, unless the so-called "FTF Hog" has killed numerous or maimed numerous other geocachers in pursuit of the FTF.

And, I notice that the OP is someone who has complained in the past on other threads about FTF-related issues. Methinks that there may be some sour grapes here, that the OP may be feeling disgruntled about the fact that he does not have more FTFs than he does.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

If FTF = the first person to go out and find a cache at that location

then

why don't they go out and try to find caches a little faster?

As long as no one is injured and no animals are harmed and no laws are broken - the only way to be a FTF is to head out the door and get them. Are they seriously saying that you should stay home and not Geocache and wait a few days so they can find time on a weekend to go out after them??

Scubasonic

I have No desire to grab the FTF and have no problems with other that do.

To play devil's advocate, it can be annoying to see the same 3 or 4 cachers scoop up all the FTFs. I love seeing a log from a new cacher's first FTF - they're always so thrilled, much more so than the cacher that has 400 FTFs. Newer cachers don't know all the tips and tricks to get the FTFs, and the "hounds" don't generally share their secrets (teleporting, rocket packs, occult hands, etc.)

Traveler's tip: if you like to get FTFs while visiting the Dallas / Fort Worth area our caches are published in the middle of the night, so put on a pot of coffee and try and stay awake. :ph34r:

Sorry to say but yep, there are FTF hogs out there. I can only say I am half a hog. Sometimes I go for the FTF, sometimes I dont. Depends on how I feel. But there are others out there (and I know a few around here that get under my skin) that basically sit on their computer and wait like vultures. Then when one pops up, off they go in a hurry. Just got deal with it I guess. It is a little irritating, but what ya gonna do about it?

I think it is ok...not a lot of people are even vultures, there is a way to have new emails about caches being published pop up in the corner of your screen if you have Yahoo email. Just saying, they aren't necessarily all vultures...a lot probably are though.

Folks, I missed you all for exactly these discussions.

After just getting into geocaching, we found ourselves in a very similar and very time consuming activity. You drive around searching for locations that you have printed out information for, get to ground zero, look around and often sign a log ... only that this isn't about containers in the woods, but called House Hunting. We found our new home last year and found ourselves just as busy renovating and imitating Tim Taylor (spent tons of money on power tools ... harrharrharr). Most of the dust has settled and we even unpacked most of the boxes, so it's time to get back to the outdoors.

About FTF's ... let me think about it. Uhm, no, I don't think I find it particularly important to be the first at a newly placed cache. It's not the cache I am after, it is the location. If I'd wanted to be first, I'd be sitting with my laptop in the car, engine running.

I don't mean the OP with this, but I wonder if those, who come up with this sort of name calling (like FTF Hog), actually ever really tried to WIN fair and square, or if they think like in Kindergarten, someone who already won a game 2 times should stop playing so others can WIN too? By that logic, Michael Phelps should have gone home after winning 2 Gold Medals, right?

Jan

I think it is ok...not a lot of people are even vultures, there is a way to have new emails about caches being published pop up in the corner of your screen if you have Yahoo email. Just saying, they aren't necessarily all vultures...a lot probably are though.

If someone doesn't like the fact that the same people are getting all the FTFs, then they need to learn the art of getting out of the house faster! If we can do it with three kids, anyone can! My favorite FTFs are in the middle of the night, using a flashlight. I do mean the middle of the night, searching for a cache and getting the heebie jeebies every time you hear a noise. The kids don't come with me to those caches.

I also think it is so much fun to watch others get their first FTF. Those logs are priceless. When I see those logs come in I'm really glad that someone else got the opportunity to enjoy the fun. Just have fun doing it and don't get disappointed if you get there second. :ph34r:

This topic has arisen in the forums a few times and it always amazes me that there are people out there who think it's unfair that others get most of the ftfs.

If a cache is published then it's up for a ftf to anyone who has the desire to get it. Of course there are situations that help, proximity, being at the computer at the right time, setting your cellphone to receive notifications, being retired, etc, that play a role in getting them. These situations certainly help those who want them but they still do not make for an automatic ftf for those people. Bottom line is that anyone can get a ftf,,, if they want it bad enough. They need to stop whining and put some effort into getting them. :ph34r:

Edited by Mudfrog

As a newbie still looking for my first FTF (I've been first on the scene but DNF - aarrrggghh), I have to say it wouldn't be nearly as much fun if I knew others were holding back to give me or others the opportunity. When I finally get one I'll exult that I beat out all those crazy folks who jump in their trucks and rush through the drizzle in the pitch black to grab it. It just wouldn't be the same if I knew the old pros were throwing me a bone. Kind of like beating my dad at chess when I was 15 after ten years of defeat - wouldn't have meant anything if he had let me do it somehow.

I know there are some folks who love an FTF. That is just part of the game. I got my first one a few weeks back, and it was fun to mark the milestone, but it didn't trigger any great urge to always be first. I guess I just learned the right lessons in kindergarten. It's nice to take turns with others. :ph34r:

I also set my first cache a few weeks back. I made it a point to ask that it be released on a Saturday or Sunday morning, in order to give the "Family" cachers a better than average chance at the FTF. As it turned out, it didn't go to a kid after all, but a grown adult. That is just the nature of the game. I feel ok about it, as I did my part to make the game as fair as possible. The man that found it is a part of a family, and it likely gave hime some joy in making the find.

The swag that I start my caches out with is designed primarily for young kids, but I also include stuff that is fun for adults too. I have a few more caches in the works, but have to find time to set up the permisions etc. Maybed some tike will get the FTF on one of them. For the most part, I don't even know if that is important to little kids. They get a thrill out of the cheap swag items and the adventure of the find. Maybe that is enough for them while they are young and innocent. They can always get competitive when they get a bit older and the great victory of an FTF is more of a thrill.

As for the real hard core FTF'ers . . . I guess everyone needs a goal in life. For some reason I don't feel the inner drive that propels one to always need to be first. I got one, and that's enough for now. I do however, understand the old saying about sleigh dogs though . . . "If your not the lead dog, the view is always the same, and it ussually stinks!"

LOL - Have fun!

Despite the penchant for claiming "Geocaching's not a competitive game", FTF sure as heck is!!

I used to kinda feel that way (as OP suggests), when I was first starting. It just amazed me how the same few always got them.....but then I learned a few tricks of the trade. More later.......

Sparticus06:

"...(and I know a few around here that get under my skin) that basically sit on their computer and wait like vultures."

Not necessarily. Just to make sure you know, you can get e-mail on your cell phone these days. I know a guy who sleeps with his cell in his pocket, set on vibrate & ring to wake him up!

And collectively --

team moxiepup:

"Unless the FTF "Hounds" (as we call them 'round here) are deflating the tires on your cachemobile, or nailing your door shut so you can't get out, then they are doing nothing wrong."

StarBrand:

"As long as no one is injured and no animals are harmed and no laws are broken - the only way to be a FTF is to head out the door and get them..."

Motorcycle_Mama:

"It seems to me that that person who finds the cache first is the FTF. No restrictions.

As for it being "poor sportsmanship", I fail to see how that would apply. ..."

gstiglitz:

"..Anyone who has the desire and ambition can be the FTF."

Max and 99:

"If someone doesn't like the fact that the same people are getting all the FTFs, then they need to learn the art of getting out of the house faster! "

Mudfrog:

"This topic has arisen in the forums a few times and it always amazes me that there are people out there who think it's unfair that others get most of the ftfs. "

"...anyone can get a ftf,,, if they want it bad enough. They need to stop whining and put some effort into getting them. "

One premise missing from all these 'conclusions'. I've told the tale in here before, so won't re-hash all the details, but basically I got to a cache site just after dawn & sat there 20-25 minutes waiting for the rain to slack off - and not another soul came into that empty lot - and trust me, I was watching, ready to spring out if anyone arrived, in full view 40' away from the only possible host object. Rain finally slacked, I got out & dashed straight to it, pulled out the log & saw it'd already been signed; time, 4 minutes prior to my find. Fast forward -- I later found out the logged "FTF" was the hider's brother.

So......missing premise - and to all the "all's fair in love, war & FTF" claimants -- how're you & all your gumption & effort gonna beat out a stinkin' cheater?

The experience, & seeing what some will do to make the claim turned me absolutely off about FTFs. Since then, I cache at my own pace....have actually gotten a few (without trying), but have never mentioned it in any logging -- and never will.

~*

But there are others out there (and I know a few around here that get under my skin) that basically sit on their computer and wait like vultures. Then when one pops up, off they go in a hurry.

That was quoted. But seriously, I do think it would be a little more fair if some of the people that get FTF would stay home for a while and just let the other people get once in a while. Especially if the person who usually gets FTF has hundreds of finds on their profile, and 15 or more of them are FTF. The people who want to get just one once in a while have to basically sit at the computer and wait for a cache that they can get FTF on or at least have a chance atwhenever they want to get it. It is very annoying especially when work doesn't allow them at work. But all in all, I am not saying thatr everyone should give FTF to the person with only 20 or so finds. I believe that they should be able to get some, but that they should wait until they have about 50 or more finds so that they know how to cache. Those are my remarks. Think on them please. Hey, thanks and have a great day. gwf :wacko::(:ph34r::unsure::blink:

I've gotten two FTFs in the short time I've been caching. I fondly remember them both. I can take 'em or leave 'em. And if and when I try to grab one, I pretty much know who I'll be up against. This adds to the fun of it for me.

While I won't debate whether to seek a FTF or not, I'll offer some "fairness" options I've seen in my area. A very popular series here is "The Curse of the FTF (Richmond edition)". We specify Richmond because they've got the same series going on in the Fredericksburg area and also in Northern Virginia I believe. I won't mention all the rules, but will mention a couple.

1. The FTF of any particular cache in the series must hide another in the series within two months or be "cursed" from ever having a FTF again.

2. Someone can only have a FTF in the series ONCE.

At last count, the latest Richmond edition was on #21.

For another unique fairness option, the hider specified there was a 15th to find prize in the cache. Of course this depended on the previous 14 finders to leave that one in the cache, which they graciously did.

I'm sure there are other ways of thwarting the "FTF Hogs". But like the old adage goes, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

We are still fairly new cachers, over a year but only 65 finds so far. I am really looking forward to the happy occasion where a cache...near our house....released in the last hour....and we can go straight out ....and we get our first FTF!.

But if someone handed it to us on a plate then I wouldn't have the joy of snatching it from the clutches of one of our local FTF hounds.

I'm about 83.95% HOG :o:ph34r:

:unsure::wacko::blink:

Log from someone that gave me a call the other night:

This is a CO FTF with several after being shut out at Where'd The Highway Go? Wife saw both pop up so I called TFF and asked if I had a chance or was he already on the way. He was kind enough to let us cache with him. So grabbed all the family and flashlights and GPSrs and away we went. No drunken bee dance on this one. Quick find.

I may be 83.95% but I share. Well sometimes :(

But seriously, I do think it would be a little more fair if some of the people that get FTF would stay home for a while and just let the other people get once in a while.

Right, and if we all played Backgammon instead, the ones with the best score should let others "choose" instead of rolling the dice every once in a while?

You really meant to interpret the word "fair" like that?

Jan

Edited by JanniCash

Scuba, Scuba, Scuba,

I have had to endure your impressive string of FTF's for the last two months. Here I am, on my 120 mile round trip to school each day, passing within minutes of those very same caches. For some darn reason they seem to pop up while I am in class. Grrrr!!! I have seen your logs and know that you worked for each one. I really liked your log for this one. GC1MRYD :blink::blink::laughing:

If I was an FTF hound, I would have to say you bite. :D I am not a hound but do not mind an occasional one. Keep up the FTF's. Cannot begrudge a single one. You earned them. It's fun watching you guys scramble and I am quite impressed and amused.

Thanks.

Edited by gonegeofishing

Yeah after you get a first to find you shouldn't be able to log another one until everyone

in the area has logged one, yep that sounds like a good idea.

Terrible idea. Not nearly socialist enough!

There should be a balance check on GC.com that does not allow ANY SINGLE cacher world wide to log more than 1 FTF more than any other cacher in the world.

Except maybe for premium members?

Jan

:D

Edited by JanniCash

From reading these posts, I am beginning to realise how intrinsically unfair the current system of FTF really is.

Up and until now, I had totally overlooked the fact that some Geocachers were being denied the opportunity to "claim" a FTF due to the bothersome and trivial details of other Geocachers having visited the cache before them. Clearly, in this enlightened age of entitlement, the current system of first-past-the-post represents a scandalous and unacceptable practice. I have a proposal.

For those owners who wish to more fairly distribute the FTF honours, we should implement a randomised award system. The owner could, for example, specify the bounds that are to be considered as being "first" with that number being stored in a database for later use. For example, the owner could specify first to be between 5 and 15. Remember, it's a secret that not even the owner knows.

Up until the designated "first" log is received, the cache page would show "A First To Find is still available on this cache". Once the designated log entry is made (12, for example), a nice shiny star gets added to the log, trumpets will sound, a choir of angels will descend from the heavens, and a post congratulating the finders will be made in their regional forum. Naturally, the cache page will be amended to show "No first to find is available on this cache" so as to not waste the time for future visitors.

The advantage to this system is that it will more fairly distribute FTF honours amongst the community, whilst not discriminating against anyone that plays the game for the strange and odd practice of visiting geocaches.

Discuss.

Edited by poohstickz

From reading these posts, I am beginning to realise how intrinsically unfair the current system of FTF really is.

Up and until now, I had totally overlooked the fact that some Geocachers were being denied the opportunity to "claim" a FTF due to the bothersome and trivial details of other Geocachers having visited the cache before them. Clearly, in this enlightened age of entitlement, the current system of first-past-the-post represents a scandalous and unacceptable practice. I have a proposal.

For those owners who wish to more fairly distribute the FTF honours, we should implement a randomised award system. The owner could, for example, specify the bounds that are to be considered as being "first" with that number being stored in a database for later use. For example, the owner could specify first to be between 5 and 15. Remember, it's a secret that not even the owner knows.

Up until the designated "first" log is received, the cache page would show "A First To Find is still available on this cache". Once the designated log entry is made (12, for example), a nice shiny star gets added to the log, trumpets will sound, a choir of angels will descend from the heavens, and a post congratulating the finders will be made in their regional forum. Naturally, the cache page will be amended to show "No first to find is available on this cache" so as to not waste the time for future visitors.

The advantage to this system is that it will more fairly distribute FTF honours amongst the community, whilst not discriminating against anyone that plays the game for the strange and odd practice of visiting geocaches.

Discuss.

Ahh a joke post... must be....

Because if it isn't: :laughing:

Fairly distribute.... :blink: WTH! :blink::blink: Is 'poohstickz' a the geonick of Hillary Clinton? :blink:

Now, FTF isn't my drug of choice, but I enjoy a hit of FTF now and then.....

That said if you want an FTF get up EARLIER and stay out LATER. Get all the connectivity gadgets that pump the coords straight to your cerebral cortex and get out there and GET SOME for yourself.

Anyone that whines about not getting FTF isn't doin' it right. Who the heck wants to be handed FTF? :D

53161596-3f52-4573-b86b-3286b8207566.jpg

b37217ae-cd63-4472-ac9b-4739c973a950.jpg

We usually end up having an FTF party in the woods in the middle of the night. At one or two caches last summer, I was going to post an "Attended" log.

There are some local cachers who gripe a bit, but when I look back at their logs from before we started, these same cachers were getting the FTFs.

I'm more likely to try for FTF on a good puzzle than a traditional lately.

For the most part, I don't even know if that is important to little kids. They get a thrill out of the cheap swag items and the adventure of the find.

I've gone out caching with little kids and I can tell you from my experience, they didn't give two hoots about whether we found the cache first, second or 300th. They loved digging through the "treasure", didn't bother acknowledging the logbook even existed.

For myself, I'll go after a FTF, but only if the mood strikes me. I'm awake through the night and that is when many new listings come through...so, if it's close and I feel like it, I'll load up and go. Make it sort of a middle of the night adventure. Otherwise, it can wait.

Bruce

"... But seriously, I do think it would be a little more fair if some of the people that get FTF would stay home for a while and just let the other people get once in a while. Especially if the person who usually gets FTF has hundreds of finds on their profile, and 15 or more of them are FTF. The people who want to get just one once in a while have to basically sit at the computer and wait for a cache that they can get FTF on or at least have a chance atwhenever they want to get it. It is very annoying especially when work doesn't allow them at work. But all in all, I am not saying thatr everyone should give FTF to the person with only 20 or so finds. I believe that they should be able to get some, but that they should wait until they have about 50 or more finds so that they know how to cache. Those are my remarks. Think on them please. Hey, thanks and have a great day. gwf :blink::laughing::D:blink::blink:

But....but....but..........

That would mean while you're sittin' around stabbing buttons on yer calculator, comparing profiles & trying to remember your calculus 101, somebody else is gonna beat you to the cache!!

It all boils down to one immutable fact. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

:blink:

~*

The other day I was driving to Home Depot to by some fresh batteries for my smoke alarms (true story) and some guy was driving fast down the middle turning lane to bypass traffic at the stop lights and I thought, 'Man, he better be trying to get someone to a hospital because if he's going for a FTF I hope a cop pulls him over and busts his @ss'

He didn't turn at the hospital.

:D:laughing::blink:

You all are pretty darned funny!!

I have had a couple FTFs, but only by accident. I am a mother of 4 and I go to school, online, full time. I see the FTFs pop up and am rarely able to go out and try for them at those times. There is a team here who is retired and live for caching. When a FTF pops up, I know they will go out and get it. I don't mind, though. It's kind of fun to see how many minutes (not kidding) it will take them to actually log the find!! :blink:

The last ones that popped up were in a park, after hours, with 7 foot tall gates. I was thinking of getting up early and being there when they opened. I also pictured this team and I in a foot race for the cache. (they are quite experienced and I am not) As it turned out, I slept in and got 2nd to find to someone other than this team. BUT this retired team did take FTF on the other one. After somehow getting into the park after hours and logging their find the night before. Power to ya' TS!! :blink:

Nah....everyone plays this game their own way...some just love piling up FTFs. A local cacher (N. Virginia) came up with a novel idea to "spread" the FTFs out...do a GC.Com Hide & Seek search on YOGOFTF (You Only Get One First To Find)...they are simple/easy caches for the most part, but have given quite a few locals the opportunity to score their First FTF.

Bill

After witnessing our caches being FTF'd by the same 2 or 3 cache teams over and over, we simply fixed the problem by introducing bigger multis with longer hikes and a few puzzle caches. Suddenly a whole new bunch of people were FTFing our caches. Later, looking back, we realized it wasn't really a "problem" at all, but merely some cachers are merely more motivated to hurry to find them. The real problem was that we had a habit of listing multiple caches on one day and typically the same day of the week each time. Alternating when we activated a cache and doing them one at a time of the course of a few days also changed up who would find them. A FTF hound can only call in sick so many days in a week! :D

After witnessing our caches being FTF'd by the same 2 or 3 cache teams over and over, we simply fixed the problem by introducing bigger multis with longer hikes and a few puzzle caches.

we added some 'special' FTF prizes :laughing: and 2TF :blink: and 3TF :D tuned to the local FTF specialists

to spread the love around we also add a special request in the reviewers notes to make the release times more random, not all at midnight

But there are others out there (and I know a few around here that get under my skin) that basically sit on their computer and wait like vultures. Then when one pops up, off they go in a hurry.

That was quoted. But seriously, I do think it would be a little more fair if some of the people that get FTF would stay home for a while and just let the other people get once in a while. Especially if the person who usually gets FTF has hundreds of finds on their profile, and 15 or more of them are FTF. The people who want to get just one once in a while have to basically sit at the computer and wait for a cache that they can get FTF on or at least have a chance atwhenever they want to get it. It is very annoying especially when work doesn't allow them at work. But all in all, I am not saying thatr everyone should give FTF to the person with only 20 or so finds. I believe that they should be able to get some, but that they should wait until they have about 50 or more finds so that they know how to cache. Those are my remarks. Think on them please. Hey, thanks and have a great day. gwf :blink::blink::laughing::blink::blink:

But seriously, would you really get that "good feeling of accomplishment", "i won, i won, yippee feeling", if everyone else stayed home so that you could get the ftf?

Ftfs don't mount to a hill of beans for the most part but they are a fun offshoot of geocaching that alot of people enjoy. I'm just not sure how it could be fun if we "took turns letting others get them" or if some "stayed home so that others could have a chance". The friendly competition between cachers is the whole idea and that competition shouldn't include taking a dive to give others their turn... :D