What Happened to "Free"?

Dabo

I've been away from geocaching for a while, but last time I was on this site (less than a year ago), I did not have to PAY to see the coordinates for a cache. Now, the coordinates are only available to PREMIUM (ie. PAYING) subscribers? WTF?

How does Groundspeak or Geocaching.com even begin to justify COMMERCIALIZING the coordinates to caches? How do you justify making a profit on the most basic information element of finding a geocache?

I'm ALL FOR making money by selling merchandise, having an ad-based site, or having a PREMIUM level for truly value-added functions, but to take away the coordinates is to take away the opportunity to cache even at the most basic level.

I'm appalled. I'm outraged. I'm seriously considering building an alternative caching site that I pledge will NEVER make users pay for the simple coordinates to caches that others have, out of good faith and fun, hidden for all others to hunt, find, and enjoy. Shame on you, Geocaching.com and Groundspeak.

By the way, on the various "how to" pages on this site, you still say you can see coordinates on the "free" level. You're lying. Please fix this.

I've been away from geocaching for a while, but last time I was on this site (less than a year ago), I did not have to PAY to see the coordinates for a cache. Now, the coordinates are only available to PREMIUM (ie. PAYING) subscribers? WTF?

How does Groundspeak or Geocaching.com even begin to justify COMMERCIALIZING the coordinates to caches? How do you justify making a profit on the most basic information element of finding a geocache?

I'm ALL FOR making money by selling merchandise, having an ad-based site, or having a PREMIUM level for truly value-added functions, but to take away the coordinates is to take away the opportunity to cache even at the most basic level.

I'm appalled. I'm outraged. I'm seriously considering building an alternative caching site that I pledge will NEVER make users pay for the simple coordinates to caches that others have, out of good faith and fun, hidden for all others to hunt, find, and enjoy. Shame on you, Geocaching.com and Groundspeak.

By the way, on the various "how to" pages on this site, you still say you can see coordinates on the "free" level. You're lying. Please fix this.

You might want to check again, I don't think the free membership went anywhere! Are you sure the cache you were trying to look at wasn't a PREMIUM MEMBER ONLY cache??

But thanks for the rant, was fun to read! :ph34r:

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Really, you should be the one fixing something. You can see almost everything, except the coordinates for PREMIUM MEMBER ONLY CACHES.

I don't know the exact percentage of that kind of caches, but I assume they represent a tiny minority among all the others, the ones you call "free".

Please, then, help me! Here's what I did: I went to zip code search, entered 72959 (Winslow, Arkansas), and the page came up with MANY caches. When I click on a cache name for ANY of those caches, this statement is featured at the top of each cache info page:

Greyed out links are only available to Premium Members.

N/S ? ??.??? W/E ??? ??.??? []

Is there some other way to see the coordinates? I don't have a GPS that allows for direct download of the coordinates from files, so manual entry is my only option. If I can't see the coordinates, I can't enter the info and therefore, can't look for the cache.

Wow, the OP should win an award for the best, most awesome and outrageous first forum post.

Misguided and factually inaccurate, but awesome nonetheless.!! Bravo!! :ph34r::(

To the OP, if you have been away for a while chances are that you simply need to re-validate your account.

Try this link.

www.geocaching.com/v

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Wow, the OP should win an award for the best, most awesome and outrageous first forum post.

Misguided and factually inaccurate, but awesome nonetheless.!! Bravo!! :ph34r::(

To the OP, if you have been away for a while chances are that you simply need to re-validate your account.

Try this link.

www.geocaching.com/v

I'm using the account as we speak. It's not invalid. I'm just trying to figure out WHY geocaching.com hides coordinates to caches.

I downloaded the .loc file and viewed it with wordpad, and the coordinates are IN THERE, so they're not actually preventing me from finding the cache, but they ARE making it hard to just SEE the coordinates. Why? What good purpose does this serve?

Try this link.

www.geocaching.com/v

Yup - And you do have to be logged in even on the Free accounts to see the coords.

But I give you a 9 on the rant!!

Email Address: The "send message" feature is disabled because this email address has not been validated by the user.

Validate it (free), log back in (free) and look at the cache co-ordinates (free).

OK Thanks. I revalidated and all is well. However, what threw me was the statement on the top of the listing:

Greyed out links are only available to [b]Premium Members.[/b]

That would lead the clueless (such as me until just now) to believe that they had made the cache coordinates only available to Premium Members, huh? It say so right there in black in white. Nothing about "validating your account" which, since I logged in and am shown as 'logged in' would also make me think that the account is valid.

Confused but now happy that I can introduce others to the joys of 'caching.

Thanks and sorry for the rant, but it served its purpose - you fine folks answered my distress signal.

Ciao!

:ph34r:

"I'm appalled. I'm outraged. I'm seriously considering building an alternative caching site that I pledge will NEVER make users pay for the simple coordinates to caches that others have, out of good faith and fun, hidden for all others to hunt, find, and enjoy. Shame on you, Geocaching.com and Groundspeak. "

Give it a Shot........and see how many folks will change over. (For-Free)...................... Just Joking Stay Well, Enjoy! :(:unsure:

"I'm appalled. I'm outraged. I'm seriously considering building an alternative caching site that I pledge will NEVER make users pay for the simple coordinates to caches that others have, out of good faith and fun, hidden for all others to hunt, find, and enjoy. Shame on you, Geocaching.com and Groundspeak. "

Give it a Shot........and see how many folks will change over. (For-Free)...................... Just Joking Stay Well, Enjoy! :(:unsure:

LOL Yeah, that was something of an empty rant, however, geocaching.com is the purest form of monopoly. I know of NO other alternative sites such as this for geocaching enthusiasts. A little competition might do them good. Nothing requiring anyone to "switch over" but offer a 2nd site for posting coordinates, forums, etc.

Nah - more trouble than it's worth. If there were more need, sure, but now that I've been "straightened out" about the "premium membership" misunderstanding, I'll leave it to some other, more industrious sole to set up the alternative site.

:wacko:

LOL Yeah, that was something of an empty rant, however, geocaching.com is the purest form of monopoly. I know of NO other alternative sites such as this for geocaching enthusiasts. A little competition might do them good. Nothing requiring anyone to "switch over" but offer a 2nd site for posting coordinates, forums, etc.

Nah - more trouble than it's worth. If there were more need, sure, but now that I've been "straightened out" about the "premium membership" misunderstanding, I'll leave it to some other, more industrious sole to set up the alternative site.

B)tuaaly

This is are alternate sites, and there is not many Cachers using them, and it is way harder to us than GS. See Topic just below yours.

Edited by BrrrMo

Email Address: The "send message" feature is disabled because this email address has not been validated by the user.

Validate it (free), log back in (free) and look at the cache co-ordinates (free).

OK Thanks. I revalidated and all is well. However, what threw me was the statement on the top of the listing:

Greyed out links are only available to [b]Premium Members.[/b]

That would lead the clueless (such as me until just now) to believe that they had made the cache coordinates only available to Premium Members, huh? It say so right there in black in white. Nothing about "validating your account" which, since I logged in and am shown as 'logged in' would also make me think that the account is valid.

Confused but now happy that I can introduce others to the joys of 'caching.

Thanks and sorry for the rant, but it served its purpose - you fine folks answered my distress signal.

Ciao!

Thanks for the laugh :ph34r:

Your world turned all the way around in an hour and a half.

I'm appalled. I'm outraged. I'm seriously considering building an alternative caching site that I pledge will NEVER make users pay for the simple coordinates to caches that others have, out of good faith and fun, hidden for all others to hunt, find, and enjoy.

I'm glad you were able to figure out why you couldn't get access but... there is one point in your (admirable) rant that maybe has been missed..

Not all caches are places for "all others to hunt". For a variety of reasons, premium members sometimes DO place caches they intend only for other premium members. Maybe the swag is of a higher quality and they don't want um... uncommitted?... cachers to find them? Maybe the cache was hidden for a specific group of friends... there are a lot of different reasons.

So even though you have been validated (Isn't that satisfying? To be valid?) doesn't mean you can get to every cache.

Just being picky here... :ph34r:

I'm appalled. I'm outraged. I'm seriously considering building an alternative caching site that I pledge will NEVER make users pay for the simple coordinates to caches that others have, out of good faith and fun, hidden for all others to hunt, find, and enjoy.

I'm glad you were able to figure out why you couldn't get access but... there is one point in your (admirable) rant that maybe has been missed..

Not all caches are places for "all others to hunt". For a variety of reasons, premium members sometimes DO place caches they intend only for other premium members. Maybe the swag is of a higher quality and they don't want um... uncommitted?... cachers to find them? Maybe the cache was hidden for a specific group of friends... there are a lot of different reasons.

So even though you have been validated (Isn't that satisfying? To be valid?) doesn't mean you can get to every cache.

Just being picky here... :D

or people that are very committed to the game, just don't have the money to spare.

Just being picky here... :D

Certainly in this area many caches are placed for premium members only for the first week or so, its seen as rewarding premium members with the chance of the FTF. Then again others have had caches muggled or coins stolen so make them PM only to try to reduce the 'risk' not sure if they are then safer, but, each to their own. :laughing:

Yep, makes sense. You spend $400 on a unit and cannot spare $30 a membership? Darn, go figure. :laughing::blink::D

My Blackberry is work furnished. Geocache Navigator has a free 60 day trial. And Geocaching.com has a free membership. I have all kinds of stuff around the house for swag. So far I haven't spent a dime except for gas and time. And have very much enjoyed this with my boys. My wife is not onboard though. And our money is tight.

So, I'd love to have a premium membership. And I wonder what will happen when my free trial expires on the Geocache Navigator app. I'm gonna have to do some begging and pleading so that I can be a real subscriber to the Navigator app. I doubt I'll be able to talk her into letting me be a premium member too.

Anyway, this wonderful hobby can be done cheaply.

Given there are hundreds of thousands of FREE caches around the world, it's really not the biggest deal if you can't access some that are Premium Member only. I joined so's I could download the full instructions onto the GPS rather than make endless printouts.

Boy, it's addictive. Does anyone find they polarise opinions when they mention they do it? A lot of people look at me as though I'm from Mars and say it's not for them, but a few wise souls see the light, especially when I tell them how much I'm learning of the nooks and crannies of my part of the world.

:)

Given there are hundreds of thousands of FREE caches around the world, it's really not the biggest deal if you can't access some that are Premium Member only. I joined so's I could download the full instructions onto the GPS rather than make endless printouts.

Boy, it's addictive. Does anyone find they polarise opinions when they mention they do it? A lot of people look at me as though I'm from Mars and say it's not for them, but a few wise souls see the light, especially when I tell them how much I'm learning of the nooks and crannies of my part of the world.

:blink:

So true! The 100% available cache listings allowed me to sample the various flavors of caches for as long as I liked. It didn't take too long to realize this was just plain fun and in many cases, educational.

One day the friend who introduced me to the Geo world offered an explanation about why she became a premium member. "Where else can you get a year's worth of entertainment for $30?". Realizing that I easily spend more than that on fast food and movie rentals, I had to agree. Have you ever seen an unlimited movie rental plan for $2.50 a month? :)

And yes, polarity doth appear when you share with friends and family. The best way to reduce potential negative feedback is to do the introduction (if possible) while out and about doing routine activities. With GPS in hand you then ask, "Did you know that geocaches are hidden in this area?"

Granted, you may still be labeled as hopeless. :blink: But more people are apt to 'get it' if they see just how easy and fun it can be. Little do they know just how much fun!!! :rolleyes: