I have a Garmin nuvi but what else might I get?

OK. I bought a Garmin Nuvi 260W around Christmas because I'm a contractor who has to find customers etc. but now I'm into GeoCaching. I just might want to buy a hand held that does topographic maps. Since I already have a Garmin, the Colorado is an obvious choice. If I decided that price was no object. Like I take the stash of money that I would spend on my next computer and buy a really nice GPS, what other units should I consider? Consider that I'm using GSAK to do paperless caching so I'd not like to give that up.

OK. I bought a Garmin Nuvi 260W around Christmas because I'm a contractor who has to find customers etc. but now I'm into GeoCaching. I just might want to buy a hand held that does topographic maps. Since I already have a Garmin, the Colorado is an obvious choice. If I decided that price was no object. Like I take the stash of money that I would spend on my next computer and buy a really nice GPS, what other units should I consider? Consider that I'm using GSAK to do paperless caching so I'd not like to give that up.

I prefer the Colorado myself. I don't really care for the display on the Oregon. I do like the Oregon's touch screen, but have gotten used to the Colorado's click wheel. I guess what I'm saying is that it's a matter of personal choice. I've also heard good things about the DeLorme PN-40, but have never used one. If you don't need paperless, the GPSMAP-60CSx is another great unit.

I'm been caching with a Nüvi since I started caching (august last year) but and since the Nüvi allready does such I great job keeping the cache descriptions and spoiler pics I just teamed it up with a Garmin Legend HCx. Been using the Legend for the last 7 caches and the combo works great.

For the Legend I use another GSAK macro called 60CSxPOI and I configured it to only export the most important stuff like the status of the last 4 logs and the hint.

But if you want everything in just one unit and want the paperless to be as good as with the Nüvi then your options are Colorado, Oregon or the Delorme unit.

Edited by kallt_kaffe
I just might want to buy a hand held that does topographic maps.
Your Nuvi and all other Garmin mapping GPS receivers will display Topo maps. Do you have a true 260W, or a 255W branded as a 260W? If the + - touch keys are on the right like this, then you have a 255W in 260W clothing.

SpoutLake.gif

Your Nuvi and all other Garmin mapping GPS receivers will display Topo maps. Do you have a true 260W, or a 255W branded as a 260W? If the + - touch keys are on the right like this, then you have a 255W in 260W clothing.

SpoutLake.gif

No kidding about the maps?

The plus and minus on mine are on the right like you suggest. So what's the difference?

I'll have to look into that.

I wound up buying a Oregon 400T which shipped as a 400i due to a screw up with Buy.com but all is happy in the end. The price I got it at, plus the topographic maps wound up being the same price as the lowest price I could find for a 400T anyway. So I got a waterways base map, plus the topo for the same as a 400T.

So now I'll see if I can put the topos I have now on the nuvi, that would be nice. If not, oh well.

OH! A bit of a review here... I'm really loving that Oregon. The built in caching features are great, and after the nuvi, having that compass with the bearing to target... wonderful!! Not to mention being able to log your finds then upload them. As for the claims that the screen is bad in the sun? If the sun is bright, you can turn the backlight completely off and if you angle it to the sun right, it's the same as the backlight full up.

There are so many features in there that after almost a week I'm still finding new stuff. I was pleased to note that although the MapSource manual said that the maps don't layer, they sure seem to on the Oregon.

SpoutLake.gif

Ahahhahahah!!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you... I just uploaded the topo maps to my 260w or whatever the heck it is and I got both roads and topo!!! Yes, yes, yes... OK... I'm a bit calmer now. But you've done your good deed for the day. Thanks muchly for the info.

Just goes to show you can't always believe what the manufacturer publishes.

You know this makes my recent "ordeal/opportunity" that much better. If there hadn't been the screwup on the part of buy.com miss linking to a 400i for $399 I'd never have wound up with the Oregon + the topo maps, I'd have just the 400T. So now both of my units are better for it. I knew God was looking out for me, now I see it was even better than I knew. Thanks again.

OH! It doesn't look like the picture above with the lines. It has the same shading as the Oregon.

Wonderful!

Edited by WRWhizard