Reavealing Cache coords before they are published?

Do I care?

Certainly not more than giving my opinion about it. Make it a habit and then we'll talk.

I don't really care because it's a game and there are plenty of caches that allow for fair play for the FTFers.

Not sure why you quoted me.

Because I was agreeing with you...

Great, thanks.

Just when I think I have it figured out you have to pull this carp. I wouldn't be posting if people agreed with me. :)

If I wanted a ((hug)) fest I'd go post in Cheers. :anicute:

Edited by BlueDeuce
Do I care?

Certainly not more than giving my opinion about it. Make it a habit and then we'll talk.

I don't really care because it's a game and there are plenty of caches that allow for fair play for the FTFers.

Not sure why you quoted me.

Because I was agreeing with you...

Great, thanks.

Just when I think I have it figured out you have to pull this carp. I wouldn't be posting if people agreed with me. :anicute:

If I wanted a ((hug)) fest I'd go post in Cheers. ;)

OK then post something I don't agree with... :)

Technically, before the "cache" is reviewed and published, it is not a "cache".

We don't have a review process for nothing. I think any cache should go through the proper review process first.

It needs to go through the proper review processd for it to be listed here. This is simply a listing service. You're saying if I hide a geocache in the park and post the coordinates on my geocaching Blog then it's not a geocache? Very strange reasoning.

We don't have a review process for nothing. I think any cache should go through the proper review process first.

It needs to go through the proper review processd for it to be listed here. This is simply a listing service. You're saying if I hide a geocache in the park and post the coordinates on my geocaching Blog then it's not a geocache? Very strange reasoning.

I think I understand what BigFurryMonster is saying. A cache listed on this site is a geocache and it follows those guidelines. A cache listed on Terracaching is a terracache. A cache listed on Navicaching is a navicache. A cache listed on just a blog is none of those. Perhaps it would be called a bloggocache. I think most people use the term geocache the same way we used to use the term "xerox," because "geocache" has become the standard.

I think I understand what BigFurryMonster is saying. A cache listed on this site is a geocache and it follows those guidelines. A cache listed on Terracaching is a terracache. A cache listed on Navicaching is a navicache. A cache listed on just a blog is none of those. Perhaps it would be called a bloggocache. I think most people use the term geocache the same way we used to use the term "xerox," because "geocache" has become the standard.

Geocaches existed before this site did. Branding doesn't give validity to a geocache. A geocache just is.

Is a trail not a trail because it's not listed on trails.com? Is a business not a business because it isn't listed on business.com? Is any activity or hobby not valid unless it is listed on a website with the same name?

No cache needs to be listed anywhere to be a geocache.

Geocaches existed before this site did. Branding doesn't give validity to a geocache. A geocache just is.

Is a trail not a trail because it's not listed on trails.com? Is a business not a business because it isn't listed on business.com? Is any activity or hobby not valid unless it is listed on a website with the same name?

Is a new virtual or locationless a geocache? At one time they were. They can still become terracaches. Widespread usage of a term makes something the standard. If terracaching had won the battle we'd all be calling them terracaches. I still use geocache and terracache independently to describe two different things listed on two different sites. They are similar but they also have some differences.
If your goal is to have your friend merely find and log the cache first, then go ahead and give them the coordinates prior to publication. But if the goal is for your friend to win the FTF race, then by giving them the coordinates prior to publication they are merely a spectator walking the course.

Just what I was thinking. If they were hoping for a FTF, they might feel a lot better about it if they had to wait till it is published. If they just want to find it and don't care about FTFs, then it seems it would be OK.

I was spending a couple nights up in the mountains when I hid one of my caches. I had no way to submit them until the weekend was over and I returned home. However, I met some cachers from out of state that were passing through. I mentioned that I had hid a new cache, and hadn't submitted it yet, I offered them the coordinates.

They thought about it but realized they didn't have time to go look for it. Neither one of us thought about the FTF at all.

A geocache doesn't have to be listed on any site but the majority do end up getting listed here at gc.com. Gc.com of course is just a listing service where the cache is published and where the cache can be logged. So the way i see it, if you want to log a cache here, then it needs to be listed here. To me, this same rationale applies for a cache that hasn't yet been published on the site. Sure you can find it before it's published, but imo, it's not proper to ever log it using the services of this site, since at the time, it wasn't yet listed on this site ...