Garmin custom POI's and Mapsource

FanMan

I used POILoader to create a bunch of custom POI's. If I save it as a file,

then copy that file to my GPS in mass storage mode, or use POILoader to send it

directly to the GPS, it works fine (I usually use the former method as I can

rename them and then have multiple poi files without overwriting them when I add

a new one).

POILoader also has a third option, "send to Mapsource". If I try that, I can't

see how to get them to show up in Mapsource. I see that it creates a .gpi file

in c:\documents and settings\user\application dat\Garmin\CustomPOIs, but I see no option

to load that file into Mapsource.

Oddly, too, the file created by this method is slightly larger than the one

created by either of the first two methods.

I used POILoader to create a bunch of custom POI's. If I save it as a file,

then copy that file to my GPS in mass storage mode, or use POILoader to send it

directly to the GPS, it works fine (I usually use the former method as I can

rename them and then have multiple poi files without overwriting them when I add

a new one).

You're doing it the hard way. Are you aware that the POI loader works on a specific FOLDER, not a file. You can put all your POI files in the same folder, and the POI loader will load all of them to the unit. The file name becomes the POI database name.

Just keep all the files you want in your GPS in the folder, and only update the files that have changed.

Edited by Prime Suspect

You're doing it the hard way. Are you aware that the POI loader works on a specific FOLDER, not a file. You can put all your POI files in the same folder, and the POI loader will load all of them to the unit. The file name becomes the POI database name.

Just keep all the files you want in your GPS in the folder, and only update the files that have changed.

That's not the issue. I have no problem with getting the POI's to the GPS, and I have reasons for handling individual files the way I'm doing it. But that has nothing to do with the issue of getting them into Mapsource, which I can't seem to do at all.

Even though that option exists in POI Loader, MapSource has no ability to read GPI files which is what POI Loader produces.

It would seem that the POI Loader programmers and the MapSource programmers haven't been eating the same M&Ms. :ph34r::(

The only way to view Custom POIs in MapSource would be for them to be in GPX format. Pocket Query files and other Custom POI files that are already in GPX format can be opened directly in MapSource. Files that are in CSV format need to be converted to GPX first.

Even though that option exists in POI Loader, MapSource has no ability to read GPI files which is what POI Loader produces.

It would seem that the POI Loader programmers and the MapSource programmers haven't been eating the same M&Ms. :ph34r::(

Alas, confirmed by Garmin today:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Currently, sending POI's

to mapsource does not work correctly. This is currently being worked on

and hopefully will be fixed in a newer version of POI loader and/or

mapsource.

Unfortunately, the only way that we are able to assist with or support

is by transferring said file via mass storage mode. I apologize for any

inconvenience this may have caused.