Coordinates off completely

procell

:) We are new geocachers and have found about 14 caches so far no problem. We are trying to find a second location of a cache and every time this happens it sends us about 26 km to Cape Vincent. We found a cache tonight which gave different coordinates such as N44.15.781 and W076.34.520 I inputted it into my Magellan 1500 as a waypoint being 44.15781N and 076.34520W and it takes me to the Cape Vincent location which I know is not right.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Procell :)

This is an easy multi cache so it says. The GC that was given was N44.15.781 and W076.34.520. When I come home and put the coordinates in on Vantage software it then shows the waypoint next to the multi cache I got the coordinates from but on the GPS the coordinates of the waypoint changed to N44.26302 and W 076.57533. I do not know how this is happening.

:)

Alright now I am confused :)

When someone writes the coordinates on a cache how do I know without coming home and inputting the waypoint through Vantage to let me know what the proper coordinates are?

The Geocaching standard is Degrees, Minutes, Decimal Minutes (DDMM.mmm)

Somehow your GPS got set to Degrees, Decimal Degrees (DD.ddddd)

There is also a third option: Degrees, Minutes, Seconds (DDMMSS.s)

The differences are obvious as soon as you look at the layout of the numbers

If the coords are part of a Geocache they should be in the GC standard

There are 60 Minutes in a degree.

60 times .26302 = 15.7812 (rounds to 15.781)

60 times .57533 = 34.5198 (rounds to 34.520)

N44.26302 = N44 15.781

W076.57533 = W076 34.520

See the equal sign. They mean the same thing, but you have enter them the way your GPS is set when you are entering them. If you change the GPS display format later, the numbers will automatically display in the converted form.

Change your GPS display to Degrees, Minutes, Decimal Minutes (DDMM.mmm) and you won't have to worry about converting formats.

This is an easy multi cache so it says. The GC that was given was N44.15.781 and W076.34.520. When I come home and put the coordinates in on Vantage software it then shows the waypoint next to the multi cache I got the coordinates from but on the GPS the coordinates of the waypoint changed to N44.26302 and W 076.57533. I do not know how this is happening.

:)

I am not sure I follow this completely, but it appears that you are mixing up units in Degrees-Decimal Degrees (hdd.ddddd˚) and Degrees-Minutes-Decimal Minutes (hdd˚mm.mmm’). Simply put N44˚15.781’ and N44.26302˚ are the same. Also W076˚34.520’ and W076˚57533 are also the same. Please check this out.