What's the British pronunciation?

That's a funny link... which takes you to another funny link of a couple of year's back...

I don't think I've ever actually spoken the word CITO out loud but, mentally, I think of it as sigh-toe.

Should we bring up the whole toe-mah-toe/ toe-mate-toe debate over there?... just to confuse the issue further? :)

MrsB

Reminds me of my mainframe computer days, a product abbreviated to CICS; the British always pronounced it as Kicks, the Americans always spelt it out C-I-C-S. Fair enough I thought, but then another product was installed: NCCF. The British spelt it out N-C-C-F, but the Americans pronounced it as Nck-F.

Not sure why I should remember that after over 20 years (or even if it was worth mentioning).

Reminds me of my mainframe computer days, a product abbreviated to CICS; the British always pronounced it as Kicks, the Americans always spelt it out C-I-C-S.

Don't you mean CISC :) a bit like RISC

That's Complex or Reduced Instruction Set Computer if anyone really wanted to know :)

Edited by hawkeye81

[Don't you mean CISC :ph34r: a bit like RISC

That's Complex or Reduced Instruction Set Computer if anyone really wanted to know :(

Nope, Customer Information Control System or "See-Ahhh-See-Ess" to give its proper US pronunciation :unsure:

I've always thought it as C-I-T-O

I have also been a CICS (KICKS) man rather than C-I-C-S

and an S-Q-L rather than SEQUEL person