Magellan 500LE Software

Does anyone know what the difference is between version 1,2 and 3 with Mapsend Direct Route North America? Also can i use a different mapping software for streets with my magellan explorist 500LE? The software from Magellan is just too expensive.

Thanks.

As far as I know Direct Route is the only mapping that will work with the 500. I've used it for about three years now and wonder how I ever got along without it. If you like your 500 and plan to keep using it for a while, you need to just take a deep breath and shell out the $159 or whatever it costs now. Really about the only alternative is to just get a new gps altogether, and even then you'll have to pay extra for street mapping, unless you get the Delorme PN-40.

Imagine how angry you would be if you bought it, then found out most people easily download it over the internet and then crack the copy protection.

"Most people?" I don't know ANYONE who has done that. But then, I'm just a nobody. Your reply might actually be helpful if you gave the OP some idea of how to acomplish this easy solution.

Does anyone know what the difference is between version 1,2 and 3 with Mapsend Direct Route North America? Also can i use a different mapping software for streets with my magellan explorist 500LE? The software from Magellan is just too expensive.

Thanks.

To answer the first question, please take a look at Skramblr's review of Direct Route V3 <http://www.mtgc.org/robertlipe/DirectRoute3/>. Robert's FAQ (link at the top of this forum) also provides some information. Based on Skramblr's review, I bought Direct Route V2 two years ago, and has been very happy with it. However, the major selling point of DR is auto-routing. Given the dramatic price drop of dedicated in-car GPS units, you may want to investigate whether DR is still worth buying. There is no doubt that you will enjoy your Explorist 500 much more if you have detail maps in it. The question is which one.

As for your second question, the other mapping software with street information (but not auto-routing) are the Topo 3D USA or Topo 3D Canada. Only Magellen software can generate maps for the Explorist 500.

If you are worried about Magellan software being too expense, you can made your own maps. Please see Yahoo's MobileMapper2 group for more information. But, only do it if you enjoy the challenges of making maps. In terms of saving money, you will be saving may be a few cents for every hour you put into making the maps.

Imagine how angry you would be if you bought it, then found out most people easily download it over the internet and then crack the copy protection.

"Most people?" I don't know ANYONE who has done that. But then, I'm just a nobody. Your reply might actually be helpful if you gave the OP some idea of how to acomplish this easy solution.

I believe the popular method is to use a peer to peer torrent network. A quick search of google yields

http://www.google.com/search?q=directroute...lient=firefox-a

It would be illegal to use a program like utorrent to download one of those torrent files. It would also be illegal to use the instructions included in the files to bypass the copyright protection.

Be advised many of these illegal downloads include trojans and viruses. Often there are comments regarding a particular torrent on whether it is safe or not.