My first cache - you couldn't get worse than this!

After downloading a geocache application to my Windows Mobile phone, I thought I'd give this a go. I'd heard of geo-caching, but didn't really know the "ins and outs" as it were.

Using the application and logging on here, I found a cache very close to my home, so this afternoon I took a little walk. I'm getting over an ear operation at the moment, so despite this being a warmish spring day, I had to wear a black wooly hat to keep it protected - a detail that becomes important later :D

I get to the first cache location, but I can't find it for the life of me, and after about five minutes of searching, I move onto the next one, about a 1/3rd of a mile away. The path I walk down is a very quiet and pleasant path beside a river, and it's not long before I'm rummaging around the undergrowth trying to find the second cache. So there I was, not really thinking about what's around me, when I find the cache! Great stuff! :) I pick it up, and start to walk back to the path again when there's two policemen looking at me! "Is everything alright, sir?" they ask.

Well, I had to explain what I was doing, and they said that there had been a burgulary just up the road about an hour beforehand and they were looking for anything suspiscious. They thought the sight of a man in dark clothes, wearing a black hat rummaging around the undergrowth warranted investigation! :D:D

I wasn't arrested or anything (!), but I now know to by ultra cautious so that these (what I've since learned are called) "muggles" don't see what you're up to!!

As it happens, I didn't have a pen or a pencil, so couldn't "officially" find the caches - that's a job for tomorrow.

Just thought you'd all like to know anyways, as a way of introduction to the clan! :PB)

MrP.

After downloading a geocache application to my Windows Mobile phone, I thought I'd give this a go. I'd heard of geo-caching, but didn't really know the "ins and outs" as it were.

Using the application and logging on here, I found a cache very close to my home, so this afternoon I took a little walk. I'm getting over an ear operation at the moment, so despite this being a warmish spring day, I had to wear a black wooly hat to keep it protected - a detail that becomes important later :D

I get to the first cache location, but I can't find it for the life of me, and after about five minutes of searching, I move onto the next one, about a 1/3rd of a mile away. The path I walk down is a very quiet and pleasant path beside a river, and it's not long before I'm rummaging around the undergrowth trying to find the second cache. So there I was, not really thinking about what's around me, when I find the cache! Great stuff! :P I pick it up, and start to walk back to the path again when there's two policemen looking at me! "Is everything alright, sir?" they ask.

Well, I had to explain what I was doing, and they said that there had been a burgulary just up the road about an hour beforehand and they were looking for anything suspiscious. They thought the sight of a man in dark clothes, wearing a black hat rummaging around the undergrowth warranted investigation! :D:D

I wasn't arrested or anything (!), but I now know to by ultra cautious so that these (what I've since learned are called) "muggles" don't see what you're up to!!

As it happens, I didn't have a pen or a pencil, so couldn't "officially" find the caches - that's a job for tomorrow.

Just thought you'd all like to know anyways, as a way of introduction to the clan! B):D

MrP.

Thanks for posting your story here. Excellent reading! I've had several occasions when I have been spoken to by the police. Sometime you just can't be stealthy enough. I hope you enjoyed it anyway, and that you stay this side of the bars next time too :)

Good to hear that I wasn't the only rookie cacher to get pulled by plod!

My first cache find was on my birthday in December 2007, in the rain, and I had a the honour of being searched by 2 of the Mets finest (NOT!!).. What a great way to start an obsession!!

But you do get used to Mr and Mrs Plod popping up from time to time. One even let me use his torch to find the cache, and his pen to sign the log.. :D