Fonts and Color

redjada

I see a lot of bold, fonts, size and color on text on cache page listings. Do I need to be a PM in order to do this or am I missing something? I have tried to use MS word and copied/ past it, but it comes out just like this post. Thanks for the help.

The last thing you want to use is Word. If you use Firefox, try installing the Xina Here! add-on. Otherwise, try using a basic HTML editor, like Nvu. And don't forget to check the Use HTML box on the edit page.

I see a lot of bold, fonts, size and color on text on cache page listings. Do I need to be a PM in order to do this or am I missing something? I have tried to use MS word and copied/ past it, but it comes out just like this post. Thanks for the help.

The last thing you want to use is Word. If you use Firefox, try installing the Xina Here! add-on. Otherwise, try using a basic HTML editor, like Nvu. And don't forget to check the Use HTML box on the edit page.

What he said. Cache pages with fancy fonts, colors, pictures, etc., are coded in HTML. You can use an HTML editor or hand-code, and be sure to check the descriptions below are in HTML box on the Editing Cache page.

Open a page you like, and click (I think) Veiw, Source.

Find the part that is the cache description and copy it. If you like comic sans, you may copy mine.

Paste it into your cache page and leave everything inside the "< >" brackets. write your own description, publish and see what needs work. It will take some fiddleing, but you will soon get it. BR means break, HR means line, align=center, and it goes on.

Or find a basic HTML guide and enter the code yourself. Thats how I do it.

Keep in mind that if you use the <font> tag to change the font on your page then the person viewing the page will also have to have that font on their computer or else they won't see it. This is usually not a problem if you're using one of the standard fronts that come with most computers (Arial, Book Antiqua, Courier New, etc.), but if you've found a really neat font that you want to use it might be better to make a graphic instead of using text. That way everyone will see the same thing.

I added this on yesterday have been playing with it. So far is seems to work pretty good. But it only has a handful of fonts. Anyway to add more?

I added this on yesterday have been playing with it. So far is seems to work pretty good. But it only has a handful of fonts. Anyway to add more?

It has only a handful of fonts because it still needs to be readable for most browsers. So it pretty much sticks to a set that the many different kinds of browsers and operating systems can handle. :ph34r:

That being said, if you want to imagine what most first time HTML coder's pages look like, look no further than myspace. Ick! So be careful out there. A little simplicity and readability goes a long, long way!

Tony

It has only a handful of fonts because it still needs to be readable for most browsers. So it pretty much sticks to a set that the many different kinds of browsers and operating systems can handle. :D

That being said, if you want to imagine what most first time HTML coder's pages look like, look no further than myspace. Ick! So be careful out there. A little simplicity and readability goes a long, long way!

Tony

Agreed. I was around when HTML was first created and witnessed many a web page that seemed to use every font and color (and the infamous marquee tag) because they could. Using color, different fonts, or making text bold or italic should be used sparingly.

One of the best approaches to learning HTML is to learn by example. Find some web pages that look nice, clean and readable then use the "View Source" controls in your browser (typically right click, then select "view source" or some varient from the drop down menu) to see the raw html used to produce the formatting. Then use those same techniques on your own web pages.

Agreed. I was around when HTML was first created and witnessed many a web page that seemed to use every font and color (and the infamous marquee tag)

Oh, ows ows ows! the marquee tag, it burns!!!!!!

Yup, started hand coding way back in the day (if you can remember the old vegas.com site, and a certain Kerry Rogers, you get bonus points). I remember sitting on my modem the day the first version of Pagemill released so I could see what all the hubalaboo was about. :D

To be fair though I do build any tables in Excel. It's a great tool for that.

Agreed. I was around when HTML was first created and witnessed many a web page that seemed to use every font and color (and the infamous marquee tag)

Oh, ows ows ows! the marquee tag, it burns!!!!!!

Yup, started hand coding way back in the day (if you can remember the old vegas.com site, and a certain Kerry Rogers, you get bonus points). I remember sitting on my modem the day the first version of Pagemill released so I could see what all the hubalaboo was about. :)

To be fair though I do build any tables in Excel. It's a great tool for that.

I used to work at Atari building the first home version of Pong.

My first email address did not have an @ sign in it.

I set up the first TCP/IP network at Hewlett Packards workstation division.

About a year after I started working for HP I turned down an offer to go interview for an electronic technician position at a small startup company. Had I gone to the interview and taken the job I would have been Cisco Systems employee #9.

consider not using fancy fonts and colors.

many of us really prefer the one standard look. it's nicer for cut/paste, and it's easier to deal with on a PDA.

I wasn't planning on using HTLM on standard cache pages. I'm working putting together an event cache. I thought the event page would look alot nicer in HTLM rather than the normal plain text.

consider not using fancy fonts and colors.

many of us really prefer the one standard look. it's nicer for cut/paste, and it's easier to deal with on a PDA.

I wasn't planning on using HTLM on standard cache pages. I'm working putting together an event cache. I thought the event page would look alot nicer in HTLM rather than the normal plain text.

It sure does! Compare geo-events GC1GXVQ WWFM-4 non-html with GCPQEZ WWFM-3 with html to see a visual difference.

cantuland