old people trying to archive my cache.

I saw all this hub bub so this old 48 year old and his 14 year old daughter took a little trip and FTF'd the cache this afternoon. It is a fine cache in a super big container with lots of trade goodies. It's located on public property and didn't cause us any concern, either for safety reasons or due to the Groundspeak listing guidelines. We enjoyed our visit to Shreveport today to find this cache and a bunch of others.

You can either debate caches in the forums or you can go out and actually find them. Even us old people. :)

Yay! Lep and Little Lep save the day. :P

I think the part that irked me the most is this experienced cacher suggested a cache be archived simply due to the perceived danger level. Even if his perceptions are accurate, and bodies are piling up all around it, I would not consider that a reason for archival. As an adult, I am fully capable of evaluating a situation/location for myself, and determining from this evaluation whether or not I am likely to survive the hunt. I don't need someone else acting as my nanny, deciding this for me, nor do I appreciate someone attempting to do this for the caching community at large.

If this becomes a standard practice, most of my caches will probably end up on the archived lists, as the majority of them have the potential for leaving the unwary kwickly assuming room temperature.

about the old people thing. its not as seriouse as i ment to be. its not really old people as it is one old dude. old people from the south are alot different from the north. and im not saying they are all the same.

as for bears. bears are lame unless they are real :)

as for diverting the flow. its made to flow into the drain. but there are alot of big rocks that have just broken the path of the water and made it spill all over the place includeing the drain and the ground below. so i just made it so the they aim the water JUST into the drain and not all over the ground where it fills up and makes mosquito infested stagnant pools. if anything i did a service.

and thank you lerper-con (i forgot how to spell it) atleast you can clear up that its not dangerous in anyway.

and to everyone that may be offended about the old thing im sorry. i suck with people. i speak my mind too much.

im tottaly a young punk. i mean.. not like most. ive only got a detention once in my life... i dont smoke or drink or go to partys... but i do have that teenage defiance. I am the average highschool nerd. but that dosnt stop me from speaking out. and deffinatly dosnt stop me from being stupid and not thinking before i get angry n stuff

Edited by Crab_Soul

about the old people thing. its not as seriouse as i ment to be. its not really old people as it is one old dude. old people from the south are alot different from the north. and im not saying they are all the same.

as for bears. bears are lame unless they are real :P

as for diverting the flow. its made to flow into the drain. but there are alot of big rocks that have just broken the path of the water and made it spill all over the place includeing the drain and the ground below. so i just made it so the they aim the water JUST into the drain and not all over the ground where it fills up and makes mosquito infested stagnant pools. if anything i did a service.

and thank you lerper-con (i forgot how to spell it) atleast you can clear up that its not dangerous in anyway.

and to everyone that may be offended about the old thing im sorry. i suck with people. i speak my mind too much.

im tottaly a young punk. i mean.. not like most. ive only got a detention once in my life... i dont smoke or drink or go to partys... but i do have that teenage defiance. I am the average highschool nerd. but that dosnt stop me from speaking out. and deffinatly dosnt stop me from being stupid and not thinking before i get angry n stuff

:)

Hi again Crack Soul,

We pretty much stopped trading swag about 3000 finds ago. For us, it's all about the discovery of new locations (like Shreveport today) and the hunt for the container itself. We will occasionally trade for a unique item. But, as we traveled by plane and packed light, we had no swag to exchange for any of the nice items in your cache. I am sure that a container that big will promote decent trading by those who enjoy doing so.

Regards,

Lepersean

Hi again Crack Soul,

We pretty much stopped trading swag about 3000 finds ago. For us, it's all about the discovery of new locations (like Shreveport today) and the hunt for the container itself. We will occasionally trade for a unique item. But, as we traveled by plane and packed light, we had no swag to exchange for any of the nice items in your cache. I am sure that a container that big will promote decent trading by those who enjoy doing so.

Regards,

Lepersean

weird. who put the hamster in my box then?

Hi again Crack Soul,

Regards,

Lepersean

weird. who put the hamster in my box then?

Man, you don't know who your dealing with? Why good ol' Lep is the inventor of hamster caching. I would really like to get one of his sig items, but alas, unless he forage up in my area I'll probably never get one.

Jim

You can either debate caches in the forums or you can go out and actually find them. Even us old people. :)

Yes! On both counts.

I scanned the entire topic to see if what I am about to say has been said and I didn't see it. It was a fast scan so naturally that means that it has already been said:

In the spirit of the above Leprisch comment I would go one step further and delete every log on your cache page except the find log(s). A cache page is no place for a forum discussion. This stuff junks up the page and it isn't cache history.

The SBA could be considered history but, really, what purpose does it serve now? It was a mistake, a misconception of where the cache was. It is just no big deal to remove that kind of log.

As a veteran offering advice to a new cacher, I would recommend letting the heat of anger pass before making comments on the cache page and in the forums too for that matter. Especially in the forums. And while we are at it, be extremely careful before you email anger to anyone.

Your comments might make you feel better for a brief moment in time but the backlash will pour ice water on that satisfaction, usually very quickly as you might be finding here.

edit:grammar

Edited by Team Sagefox

Yes! On both counts.

I scanned the entire topic to see if what I am about to say has been said and I didn't see it. It was a fast scan so naturally that means that it has already been said:

In the spirit of the above Leprisch comment I would go one step further and delete every log on your cache page except the find log(s). A cache page is no place for a forum discussion. This stuff junks up the page and it isn't cache history.

The SBA could be considered history but, really, what purpose does it serve now? It was a mistake, a misconception of where he thought the cache was. It is just no big deal to remove that kind of log.

As a veteran offering advice to a new cacher, I would recommend letting the heat of anger pass before making comments on the cache page and in the forums too for that matter. Especially in the forums. And while we are at it, be extremely careful before you email anger to anyone.

Your comments might make you feel better for a brief moment in time but the backlash will pour ice water on that satisfaction, usually very quickly as you might be finding here.

Good advice!

You can either debate caches in the forums or you can go out and actually find them. Even us old people. :P

Yes! On both counts.

The SBA could be considered history but, really, what purpose does it serve now? It was a mistake, a misconception of where he thought the cache was. It is just no big deal to remove that kind of log.

Good advice!

I say to leave all of the notes. They are indeed a part of the cache history and will quickly fall to the bottom of the pages and not be seen by the vast majority of cachers who hunt the cache. The thought that it junks up the page simply does not make any sense. That is like saying a DNF junks up the page or that a lame TFTC log junks up the page and they should both be deleted. SAVE the lame notes and logs! :)

This is better than watching TV, just not enough smilies for all the ups and downs. I hope the Leprechauns (how ever it is spelled), will be able to stop by Virginia on their way home. There is an especially difficult 1.5X1.5 that nobody has found in five days and maybe they can point out the correct way of finding it. :):P

I'm watching this cache from afar and I was delighted to see that The Leprechauns took time out from their St Patrick's day duties of burying caches of gold coins to go and actually find a different sort of cache.

But I am worried about that hamster. :)

In view of Crab bowl's derogatory comments about bears, is it wise to put any small furry creature into his cache? I'm not sure he's ready for the heavy responsibilities of hamstercaching yet.

Just my opinion.

MrsB

about the old people thing. its not as seriouse as i ment to be. its not really old people as it is one old dude. ...

"The ignominy of age is decrepitude -- the ignominy of youth is ignorance. If you prefer agility and ignorance to decrepitude and wisdom you sentence yourself to misery half your life." ~Ed Whitney

~*

Personal responsibility plays into this a lot as a finder. It also does as a hider.

Regarding posting a satellite shot of an area and declaring it safe? I give you this photo.

Looks innocent enough, right? Some bushes behind the building good enough for an ammo box? Yeah, right.

This is a shot of an area of Washington DC just about a mile from the Capital Dome. This is just about the most dangerous location I've ever had to work. I've been there by myself at night no less, but I knew I was crazy. You cannot leave your car unlocked and have to keep all possessions not in your car in sight at all times. I've had minor items stolen that were just out of sight. I won't work there at night any more, nor will I allow anyone we contract work with to work there by themselves unless the area is busy and only during the day. The police fliers that were posted all over one time paying a reward for information regarding the murder of the owner of the gas station just to the east of the building in the picture above sort of drove the point home.

Just two blocks to the west is the corporate office and main studios for XM Satellite Radio. Just a few blocks away there are very upscale neighborhoods and Gallaudet University.

A picture doesn't always tell you everything. Personal knowledge of the area probably does.

And that is, as many of us "old" folks say, "the rest of the story".

If I went on the above information about DC, I would be very scared to try and find caches in the Bronx! it is the personal responsibility of the finder for his/her safety

Simply placing an SBA because this person thinks the neighborhood its too dangerous is ridiculous-who made him the cache police?

I have cached in many sketchy areas of the NE and South; did I drive away and DNF a cache every now and again when I felt unsafe? Yes- as a woman and caching alone I have to ensure my own safety.

But what really separates this from 5/5 caches in the wilds on a rock ledge? Because some one deems this part of town not so good? To whom is it not so good?

I am taking a bit of umbrage to this, because I grew up in an area deemed "not so good"-primarily because of the racial makeup.

The issue here is between the CO and the SBA poster.

Yes, CO has rubbed people the wrong way, he pretty much admits to being immature.

The SBA poster is an adult and instead of posting the SBA he should have posted a DNF, however it looks to me that this would ruin a perfect find ratio for the area.

Now that, my friends, is immature.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, my daughter and I felt perfectly comfortable strolling down the road in Crab Sole's neighborhood to find his cache. We could see it from the street as we drove past, because the box is huge, but there was no safe parking right at the cache site. It's on a narrow road with little to no shoulder.

I wanted to add, though, that we abandoned the hunt for two other caches in the Shreveport area where we did not feel comfortable. We are not daredevils. When a disturbed person approaches you during an urban cache hunt spewing a string of expletives in a loud voice, it's time to call DNF and leave. That was in a landscaped flower garden that normally would be a "nice" place to search for a cache. The other cache we turned away from was near an active temporary construction/maintenance site.

It is all in the situation of the moment, and one's personal comfort level. I respect the fact that others have differering comfort levels. I would not dream of logging SBA on a cache because a deranged person approached me. I log SBA when a cache does not meet the Geocaching.com listing guidelines. Nowhere in the guidelines is "safety" mentioned.

Yeah, my daughter keeps asking for a rat, but I think I'd rather have a hamster.

go with a rat. they're smarter and more affectionate.

the hard part for most people is getting around the tail, but it think they're cute. i used to have a rat who was obedient to both voice and hand commands.

khalil.jpg

this little guy was named khalil, an arabic name meaning "friend".

so if you actually recognize this, then you have a responsiblity to make a change so it doesn't keep happening. Wait a few hours before you post something, try to put yourself in the other persons shoes, count to 10....whatever it takes, then make your post or arguement. Jumping the gun on something and throwing out insults just will turn people against you even if you are in the right. And seriously, although it may seem like a big deal at the moment, nothing dealing with this site demands immediate action. Unless someone states that they put a cache in an ammo box on some governmental facility, nothing dealing with caching is a life or death situation that cannot wait a day. Even if your cache had been archived there still would have been a way to appeal it. Jumping the gun or even leading an attack when you are in the right always seems to turn out badly for the one doing it. this time you were justifed and it seems all is well with the cache, however, as people pointed out, they remembered you from another time where there were problems. take the steps need to rebuild your credibility by learning patience and thinking the best coarse of action over before acting on something.

Cache actually looks kinda cool and I was surprised to see The Leperchauns got FTF, they are closer to my neck of the woods and I have seen their name around on things. Thanks alot guys, next time you are going on a major caching trip, how about calling me! :)

Good luck Crab and hope things go well with the cache.

Yeah, my daughter keeps asking for a rat, but I think I'd rather have a hamster.

Rats are smarter, nicer, and all around better except for the cute factor. Amazing what folks put up with for the sake of pretty...Now that I think about it this seems to apply to people too. Hmmm.

i think they're cuter, too. their faces are more expressive and their little front paws are dexterous and, well, cute.

so if you actually recognize this, then you have a responsiblity to make a change so it doesn't keep happening. <SNIP>

Reminds me of:

Q. How many teenage therapists does it take to change a light bulb?

A. Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change.

..I'll be here all week folks-the seafood buffet is great.

But what really separates this from 5/5 caches in the wilds on a rock ledge? Because some one deems this part of town not so good?

Bravo! There is a fairly new cacher around my area who has made it his mission to hide a cache in every Seminole County park. As a Seminole County deputy, I know that two of those parks he's hidden caches in are places we respond to on a daily basis for all manner of violent crimes. Should these two caches be archived? Of course not. Will I go hunt for them? I think I'll pass. :)

No problem crabby-stool (I forgot how to spell it). I'm happy to vouch for your cache. We had a nice stroll in your neighborhood. We parked a block up and walked down the road to the cache.

-- lerper-con

I am very impressed and touched by this FTF find in a city located over a thousand miles from home, and by the great notes and log find note!

To my great chagrin, I just logged a DNF on this cache.

I must say that that I am now considering filing an SBA on this cache, since I am disappointed that I had to file this DNF today. I figure that if I had to DNF it, then the cache might as well be archived. You know what I mean? Besides, I hear the cache is owned by some mean punk kid, you know?

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

To my great chagrin, I just logged a DNF on this cache.

I must say that that I am now considering filing an SBA on this cache, since I am disappointed that I had to file this DNF today. I figure that if I had to DNF it, then the cache might as well be archived. You know what I mean? Besides, I hear the cache is owned by some mean punk kid, you know?

<snip>

Now I have to report Vinny for filing fake DNFs! What is this world coming to? :)

Now I have to report Vinny for filing fake DNFs! What is this world coming to? :)

So what you're sayin' is you tryin' to archive Vinny?!?

Gonna have to think on that one for awhile.

(Dunno whether to file it under alien abductions, doin' the needed, or doin' the needy.)

~*

He's obsolete. He's been in that spot too long. He should be archived, to make way for a new Vinny that looks better and doesn't leak as much. Besides, he's getting in the way of the new puzzle cache I want to place.

Just another note, the application on the 3G states this

"Please be advised: Geocaching can be dangerous! You assume all risks arising in connection with seeking a geocache and/or using the Geocaching Application:

Think that about sums up GS stance

thats useful to have.. maby i shoulda just put that there instead of makeing this thread... but then leperconan the barbarian probubly wouldnt have looked for my cache.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefSVgcFJUrcA...weird-thumb.jpg

Edited by Crab_Soul
Just another note, the application on the 3G states this

"Please be advised: Geocaching can be dangerous! You assume all risks arising in connection with seeking a geocache and/or using the Geocaching Application:

Think that about sums up GS stance

thats useful to have.. maby i shoulda just put that there instead of makeing this thread... but then leperconan the barbarian probubly wouldnt have looked for my cache.
Even more useful to have: The Geocaching.com Disclaimer!
Geocaching, hiking, backpacking and other outdoor activities involve risk to both persons and property. There are many variables including, but not limited to, weather, fitness level, terrain features and outdoor experience, that must be considered prior to seeking or placing a Cache. Be prepared for your journey and be sure to check the current weather and conditions before heading outdoors. Always exercise common sense and caution.
It's linked right from every cache page, in the box that says:
alert-on.gifPlease note: To use the services of geocaching.com, you must agree to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.
When you say "that's useful to have.. maby i shoulda just put that there instead of makeing this thread..." it makes me wonder if you read the disclaimer in the first place.

BTW: That's one disturbing teddy bear!

Teddy%20Bear%20bad%20evil%20mean%20big%20weird-thumb.jpg

I read the logs on the cache page but i did not see an SBA. I'm assuming that this was deleted and if so, i'm not sure why. Anyways, filing the SBA in the first place just didn't seem to make any sense. Titus states in a note that he was afraid to get out of the car at the cache site. I'll admit that i've had that same feeling myself a time or two but i still never felt inclined to file an SBA on a cache for that reason. If the facts have been presented correctly, then the SBA should have never been posted...

I read the logs on the cache page but i did not see an SBA. I'm assuming that this was deleted and if so, i'm not sure why. Anyways, filing the SBA in the first place just didn't seem to make any sense. Titus states in a note that he was afraid to get out of the car at the cache site. I'll admit that i've had that same feeling myself a time or two but i still never felt inclined to file an SBA on a cache for that reason. If the facts have been presented correctly, then the SBA should have never been posted...

hm i guess an admin deleted it i didnt.

but honestly i tottaly didnt read the disclaimer. i r be lazy.

Edited by Crab_Soul
hm i guess an admin deleted it i didnt.

but honestly i tottaly didnt read the disclaimer. i r be lazy.

It's possible that the (ummm) 'old guy' deleted it.