New GPS help oregon200?

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, and sorry if I’m breaking the rules, but I would like a little advice on a handheld system to replace my old Vista that I bought back in 2002. I’m sad to let it go as it’s been all over the world with me, but the thumbstick finally cracked off… a non duct tape fix. It kept working even after a multiple dips in the ocean.

3 Options:

1) I’m trying to stay below the $300 threshold. And I’m looking at the Garmin oregon200 for geoaching with my kids now that they’re old enough. I can get one from Amazon for $250 after rebate.

The main reason I like it is the option of paperless caching. I used to carry a binder of possible cashes with hints etc. when I’d travel, and I would prefer to not do that if I can just download all cache information to the unit including descriptions. My 2 concerns are durability of a touchscreen and visibility in daylight. It also looks good. ($250 at Amazon)

2) Another option is something from the Garmin GPSmap60 series these are more rugged and daylight visible, but I lose the ability to download cache text to the unit. ($200 Amazon)

3) The last option is to buy a base model etrex, and do what I’ve always done ($100), small and now have a very long battery life. I was lucky to get 2hours out my last system on 2AAs.

Would the touchscreen durability and visibility be a deal breaker for anyone? Anything I get will be better than what I had before simply because of antenna quality. I’m just curious what people who own these things think.

Thanks in advance

If you guys have seen cheaper places to get these things in the next few days please let me know.

1) I’m trying to stay below the $300 threshold. And I’m looking at the Garmin oregon200 for geoaching with my kids now that they’re old enough. I can get one from Amazon for $250 after rebate.

The main reason I like it is the option of paperless caching. I used to carry a binder of possible cashes with hints etc. when I’d travel, and I would prefer to not do that if I can just download all cache information to the unit including descriptions. My 2 concerns are durability of a touchscreen and visibility in daylight. It also looks good. ($250 at Amazon)

2) Another option is something from the Garmin GPSmap60 series these are more rugged and daylight visible, but I lose the ability to download cache text to the unit. ($200 Amazon)

3) The last option is to buy a base model etrex, and do what I’ve always done ($100), small and now have a very long battery life. I was lucky to get 2hours out my last system on 2AAs.

Would the touchscreen durability and visibility be a deal breaker for anyone? Anything I get will be better than what I had before simply because of antenna quality. I’m just curious what people who own these things think.

I am very happy with the Oregon 400t, (suspect other models are similar) The touch screen is 'WONDERFUL' as is 'PAPERLESS' caching, this is my first experience with both. Previously had a Garmin GPS V and loved it too. I am having good BATTERY LIFE and use the rechargables, like 6 hours or so. I am at a loss as to why there are those who can't see the screen, I have never had a problem even in full sun light, a slight tilt and with no back light at all, it is very VISIBLE and easy to see (unless I have my glasses off?!?!?) ANTENNA QUALITY is the best there is as far as I know. Best Buy had a special on the 400 at about $315, don;t know if is still running, call and see.

I have an Oregon 300 and love it. I have finally retired my 60csx. The paperless caching is awsome. I don't have any problem with the screen, seems very tough, easy to read, and touch screen is very accurate. The menues are very logical and easy to navigate. I was worried about accuracy after reading the forums but It's as accurate as the 60csx. No trouble at all caching. I feel like I can trust it in the woods. I've had the 60csx for years and I had no trouble moving to the Oregon.

The barometer? I'll admit to being surprised by this comment, I wasn't even worried about missing that feature - do you use it much for caching - or more for hiking?

Thanks for the comparison link, I read the wiki pretty thoroughly already. I'm mostly looking for someone with hands on experience with the 200 to see if they have any caching concerns with it.

Of course, I'm replacing a 10 year old eMap, so just about anything will be a big step up :)

I had a barometer and compass on my old etrex that I'm replacing, and I never used them. I would have preferred to shut it off and use the GPS elevation, but the etrex wouldn't let me do it. The compass always had to be recalibrated on that unit, so I figured it was more of a pain than anything.

I have used the 60CSx (and my wife currently uses a 60Cx). I have also used a Colorado 300 and ow an Oregon 400t. I can tell you that if you are caching with your kids, you might consider option 4...

You might consider getting 2 of the "little yellow etrex" GPSr's and a cheap PDA. That combination would give you paperless caching and it would do something else for you that you might not realize immediately. The kids (and anyone else for that matter) will have much more fun getting started in geocaching when they can hold the GPSr in their own hands. We have seen this over and over again (as well as hearing it from others). The other nice thing about this option is that it's just as cheap (or cheaper) than getting the Oregon 200.

I have nothing against the newer models, as they are great to have, but if you are looking for "best bang for the buck" and family enjoyment this new idea might be worth your consideration. Now, if money is not a worry for you, then I would suggest getting the Oregon 300 or 400t over the 200, just because of the extra features included. Remember that not only do you lose the compass and barometer in the 200, but you also lose some internal memory, and the ability to transfer data between units wirelessly. I never thought I would really use this last part until I started caching with others and quickly discovered that it is very handy when one of the group doesn't have a particular cache in their GPSr. Using the wireless transfer, they have it in less than a minute and that's more than just the coordinates and possibly the GC number/name.

I have used the 60CSx (and my wife currently uses a 60Cx). I have also used a Colorado 300 and ow an Oregon 400t. I can tell you that if you are caching with your kids, you might consider option 4...

You might consider getting 2 of the "little yellow etrex" GPSr's and a cheap PDA. That combination would give you paperless caching and it would do something else for you that you might not realize immediately. The kids (and anyone else for that matter) will have much more fun getting started in geocaching when they can hold the GPSr in their own hands. We have seen this over and over again (as well as hearing it from others). The other nice thing about this option is that it's just as cheap (or cheaper) than getting the Oregon 200.

That option has been in the back of my mind becasue the kids like to fight over stuff. I could get 2 PN20s for $260 total at Amazon... do they have (or will they in the future) the option to easily go paperless like the PN40? Are they as accurate under foliage as the new high sensitivity etrex ventures?

-snip-

... Now, if money is not a worry for you, then I would suggest getting the Oregon 300 or 400t over the 200, just because of the extra features included. Remember that not only do you lose the compass and barometer in the 200, but you also lose some internal memory, and the ability to transfer data between units wirelessly....

-snip-

Is the memory issue really a big deal? I'm seeing differences in price of over 100 bucks between the 200 and 300. I don't have much interest in the wireless or compass/barometer....so could I buy the 200 and add my 1 gig microsd card and done? I will be buying the maps on DVD.

The only feature I think you will miss is a speaker. The Oregon 200 has no speaker therefore no beeps for autorouting. It’s a real shame Garmin didn’t put one in. I can’t believe it would cost much more than $10 to have put one in. Seems like a small price to pay when someone gets into an accident because they had to watch their GPS since it had no audible warnings then turn around and sue Garmin for negligence. Imagine my surprise when I’ve owned over 50 GPS’s and buy an Oregon 200 to find out it’s my first GPS without any sound! If you do the comparison between the Oregon 400t, 300 and 200 on Garmin’s website and not a word about the 200 not having a speaker. The only place you’ll find any mention of it is the owners manual.