Statistics - bend it anyway you like!

Carbon Hunter

Highest percentage active caches found:

There are currently 6415 active caches in South Africa. The following cachers have found the most of these (taking into account their own caches):

1. iPajero: 3578 found, 105 own caches: 56.7% found

2. Danie Viljoen: 2117 found, 26 own: 33.1% found

3. MadSons: 1966 found, 56 own: 30.9% found

4. Leon St: 1948 found, 46 own: 30.6% found

5. cownchicken: 1945 found, 22 own: 30.4% found

Although the find percentages may still rise, I believe the absolute number of unfound caches will only go up from here - new caches are published at an exponentially increasing rate. During the past year 2426 new caches have been published in South Africa - not even MadSons could keep up!

Edited by Danie Viljoen

May I ask how you managed to generate pocket queries for the whole of Africa? Is this also done by grouping caches into pocket queries by date interval?

No, you can get the whole of the rest of Africa in two PQs - there are currently about 1008 active caches. To generate a PQ which covers more than one country, keep CTRL pressed while you select the African countries one by one. (This is a trick I learnt from Jors!)

Brilliant! Done... works like a charm! :) And here I was multiplying a 10th of SA's total by 51 (last time I checked) to get an estimate of how many days the PQ would take to run! Thanks...

Busiest caching days:

The days with the most finds logged:

1. 2011-07-23: 6777 finds

2. 2011-08-09: 1626 finds

3. 2011-08-13: 1447 finds

4. 2011-03-26: 1315 finds

5. 2011-08-06: 1099 finds

3022 cachers have logged 95663 finds during the last year, for an average of 262 finds/day, 1835 finds/week or 7972 finds/month. 38% of all finds have been logged during the last 365 days. The average number of active caches during the last 365 days is 5429, which implies that the average number of finds per cache for the last year was 17.6

Since the beginning, 6952 cachers have logged at least one cache in South Africa. 1925 Cachers (28% of the total, more than 5 new cachers per day) have logged their first cache during the last 365 days. This means that 64% of the cachers who have logged a cache during the last year have less than one year experience!

Finds per day of the week:

Sunday: 66415, 26.2%

Monday: 23875, 9.4%

Tuesday: 22458, 8.9%

Wednesday: 20619, 8.1%

Thursday: 21380, 8.4%

Friday: 26680, 10.5%

Saturday: 71795, 28.4%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCbA1CpUXoo

Geocaching in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa

From 2005 until 2011

I don't believe it! Just yesterday I had finished my own visualization of 10 years of geocaching in South Africa... was going to publish it today...

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-IPkPi9v5c

It's of the whole of South Africa, with caches and logging activity shown. There are also zoom-ins to a few areas of interest over the 10 years, including the Gauteng Power Series right at the end.

Edited by FollowThatRainbow

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fCbA1CpUXoo

From 2005 until 2011

I don't believe it! Just yesterday I had finished my own visualization of 10 years of geocaching in South Africa... was going to publish it today...

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=r-IPkPi9v5c

It's of the whole of South Africa, with caches and logging activity shown. There are also zoom-ins to a few areas of interest over the 10 years, including the Gauteng Power Series right at the end.

Awesome!!! Love it!

I wrote my own scripts to do mine, but yours is awesome! Love the way it zooms in when there is lots of activity!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCbA1CpUXoo

From 2005 until 2011

Here it is:

Great stuff! Nice presentation!

Awesome!!! Love it!

I wrote my own scripts to do mine, but yours is awesome! Love the way it zooms in when there is lots of activity!

:) Thanks - I had a lot of fun making it. And thank you to DamhuisClan, Danie Viljoen and others on this forum for inspiration on how get all the geocaching data for South Africa.

I'm intrigued by the simultaneity of our visualizations - accessing something in the zeitgeist, now's the time for these things - 10 years is a great milestone for looking back and getting a sense for how things have evolved.

It's interesting to me to see how the cache placing seems like unorganised, incoherent activity, but slowly the underlying substrate that is shaping the placement is revealed - coastline, roads, urban centres and as seen in Jacques' video, the topography. But there are a few places where you can sense the presence of a controlling "overmind" - for example the 100+ caches of the Shipwreck Series published in a single day in the Western Cape, and very obviously, the Gauteng Power Series - caches now not placed just for themselves, but making up part of a higher level of organisation.

Here it is:

Very Very Cool. Well Done.

Here it is:

Absolutely briliant, both ones! Love the last ones sparkles :D

Here it is:

LOVE IT!!

AWESOME. I love the SS series appearing, and the PTs look pretty cool getting published and found. Amazing work. I'd love to see a version of the cape peninsula by itself ;)

I second that!!

:) Who can resist such a literal seconding of Mr Panda's wish... here it is:

It's zoomed in to show only the Cape Peninsula; unlike in the original video, there is no further zoom-in action; the map orientation has been rotated so that North is now to the right, to allow for greater zoom; log count, cache count, and cache-of-the-month displays have been updated for only the area of interest; a bug has been fixed where white sparkles sometimes showed only very briefly; the named cache-of-the-month text now appears on the date of the cache being placed instead of at the start of the month (this means that sometimes two cache names will be shown at once); the ending is just a little different.

Thank you... as I told a geocacher, I feel this is my love-letter to geocaching and the community who've given me so much fun these past few months :)

:) Who can resist such a literal seconding of Mr Panda's wish... here it is:

It's zoomed in to show only the Cape Peninsula; unlike in the original video, there is no further zoom-in action; the map orientation has been rotated so that North is now to the right, to allow for greater zoom; log count, cache count, and cache-of-the-month displays have been updated for only the area of interest; a bug has been fixed where white sparkles sometimes showed only very briefly; the named cache-of-the-month text now appears on the date of the cache being placed instead of at the start of the month (this means that sometimes two cache names will be shown at once); the ending is just a little different.

Thank you... as I told a geocacher, I feel this is my love-letter to geocaching and the community who've given me so much fun these past few months :)

Love it!

I sent the rainbow's original to Groundspeak, to let them know of it and they wrote back:

Hello Mr Panda,

Thank you for sending in this awesome video- we have posted it on our Facebook page!

Have a wonderful day and happy caching!

Kelly Ranck

Marketing Assistant

:D

Different Version:

Cool! Putting the caches on a map certainly gives more information than just having them blossom in the beautiful black void of space. And sweet the idea of showing a growing bar graph of caches placed - originally in my version I experimented with polygraph-like tracings of caches placed per week, geocachers active per week, and logs written per week, but it got a bit too much. I like the informative non-obtrusive display of it here.

Edited by FollowThatRainbow

Different Version:

Cool! Putting the caches on a map certainly gives more information than just having them blossom in the beautiful black void of space. And sweet the idea of showing a growing bar graph of caches placed - originally in my version I experimented with polygraph-like tracings of caches placed per week, geocachers active per week, and logs written per week, but it got a bit too much. I like the informative non-obtrusive display of it here.

Rainbow I am beyond impressed! These vids of your are so special - I was almost overwhelmed with a flood of memories after having watched your first. I cannot wait to see my other half's response!

Thanks so much man... :)

That was some awesome visualisations.

Where to next?

Can you maybe create one of iPajeros cache finds only? I think that will be impressive.

Maybe with two colours. Once as caches become available in a dull colour, and then the colour changes as they find it.

There cant be many left for them in SA,

Can you maybe create one of iPajeros cache finds only? I think that will be impressive.

Maybe with two colours. Once as caches become available in a dull colour, and then the colour changes as they find it.

There cant be many left for them in SA,

Yes, I've also been thinking of a variety of ways to visualize an individual Geocacher's Odyssey... there's a lot of possibility there. I've been experimenting a bit, but haven't found a sweet spot. Maybe DRDM & Raider also want to give it a go.

One issue: I feel it should be with permission of the geocacher involved. It feels edgy in a privacy kind of way - it's true that all the data for individual teams is anyway available on the geocaching.com site, but it's another thing to bring all that data together into a single point of public focus.

Perhaps not quite what you had in mind, but here is a video of iPajero's finds in SA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE0wxKRmyWI

View On YouTube

Very cool! Something to be said for just doing it :) The data itself reveals the sweetness - as said on the comments, like wild fire... I can see every geocacher wanting their own logs visualized like this. It would be a nice feature for geocaching.com, or a third-party site.

How about a making of video?

I'd be interested to see how you do it?

Trev

For mine:

1. Wrote a PHP script that:

a) Get's the data out of GSAK

B) Generates 1000's of images (The latest version now generates into and credit sequences with fading effect)

2. Use VirtualDub to put the images into a AVI

3. Upload to youtube

I am constantly uploading new sequences, see the youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bothaj1977

How about a making of video?

I'd be interested to see how you do it?

Trev

And on my side, as I wrote to another cacher:

1) implemented an automated browser in good old Delphi to siphon off the archived caches and logs for all caches directly from the geocaching.com website

Isn't the above (mining the GS database) totally against the Groundspeak TOU?

PT

Fastest 1000 African finds:

1. iPajero: 20 days

2. MadSons: 97 days

3. Happy Hunters SA: 130 days

4. NotBlonde: 137 days

5. B and C Inc: 174 days

6. Leon St: 190 days

7. gerhardoosMPsa: 211 days

8. BAKGAT: 225 days

9. Danie Viljoen: 227 days

10. Wormgeocash: 233 days

Fastest 2000 African finds:

1. MadSons: 299 days

2. iPajero: 368 days

3. Leon St: 710 days

4. Danie Viljoen: 794 days

5. gerhardoosMPsa: 908 days

6. Tricky Vicky & Mickey: 1532 days

7. cownchicken: 1757 days

8. cache-fan: 1771 days

Most African finds in the last 12 months:

1. MadSons: 2145 finds

2. iPajero: 1984 finds

3. Leon St: 1564 finds

4. B and C Inc: 1514 finds

5. HeinG: 1211 finds

6. Wormgeocash: 1199 finds

7. Elsies: 1171 finds

8. gerhardoosMPsa: 1145 finds

9. Happy Hunters SA: 1140 finds

10. Danie Viljoen: 1124 finds

WOW. Looks like the stats have gone to a new level.

But I agree, we should get permission from the owners first.

As it stands the DrDm & Raider / FlyingSyringe videos are now crediting the outside sources and we are contacting cachers to get their permissions to show videos where there may be interest. iPajero have given consent, but as they are currently busy with another long and fruitful caching journey we will hold off a short while so that we can show the most current stats.

Further tweaks and enhancements are being considered, but as work gets in the way it may be a while for the newer "blinger" version to appear.... all we can say is watch this space B)

Number of active caches per province:

1. Western Cape: 1389

2. Gauteng: 1277

3. Kwazulu Natal: 1011

4. Eastern Cape: 611

5. Mpumalanga: 547

6. Free State: 364

7. Limpopo: 257

8. North West: 220

9. Northern Cape: 101

Rest of Africa: 1009

Municipalities with the most active caches:

1. City of Cape Town: 792

2. City of Tshwane: 520

3. City of Johannesburg: 439

4. eThekwini: 403

5. Ehlanzeni: 395

6. Amatole: 218

7. Motheo: 188

8. Overberg: 178

9. Cacadu: 175

10. Cape Winelands: 161

Danie (and others)- could we get a bunch of the stats you normally publish please?

It would be good to see how things are looking again at the moment. Always enjoy reading these.

Updated Gauteng Power Series statistics:

• Of the 655 caches, one is archived and 14 are temporarily archived. Three caches have never been found and should probably be archived as well.
  • 179 cachers have found at least one of the series.
  • 13 cachers have found more than 600 of the series.
  • There have been 16391 finds, for an average of 92 finds/cacher and 25 finds/cache. To put this into perspective - since 23 July 2011, 48% of all finds in South Africa have been on this series.
  • The most found GPS cache is GPS - Solidarity, with 66 finds.
  • Except for 3 caches which have never been found and which are probably missing, GPS - World Cup Soccer Fan has only been found once. The next least found cache is GPS - Bouganvilla, with 6 finds.
  • Three caches top the list with the most DNFs: GPS - World Cup Soccer Fan, GPS - Birch, and GPS - Princess Leia needs visitors, with 12 DNFs each.

Most active cachers:

The ten most active cachers in Africa, for the year ending 19 Oct 2011:

1. iPajero: 2228 finds

2. MadSons: 2072 finds

3. Leon St: 1511 finds

4. B and C Inc: 1441 finds

5. Danie Viljoen: 1188 finds

6. Wazat: 1156 finds

7. Wormgeocash: 1126 finds

8. gerhardoosMPsa: 1124 finds

9. HeinG: 1097 finds

10. BAKGAT: 1071 finds

2696 new caches have been published during this same period. (2445 in South Africa.)

Edited by Danie Viljoen

Fastest 2000 finds:

The fastest 2000 African finds ever:

1. iPajero: 247 days

2. MadSons: 292 days

3. Leon St: 710 days

4. Danie Viljoen: 779 days

5. gerhardoosMPsa: 908 days

6. Wormgeocash: 1313 days

7. Tricky Vicky & Mickey: 1532 days

8. cache-fan: 1668 days

9. cownchicken: 1757 days