Signature Items are not a Signature...

My sources say that Write Shop Robert is slightly mentally unbalanced.

:rolleyes:

Just a little curious...do I know you, and should understand that as some kind of familiar joke? Or are you running a secret experiment on whether you can get some random thread shut down by making personal insults?

The smilie indicates it's a joke. I have observed you to have a sense of humor. I figured you would be willing to take the joke.

Perhaps I have overestimated your good nature. If so, I apologize.

Edited by bittsen

Only slightly? I think your sources might have some stale Data.

:anibad:

Just a little curious...do I know you, and should understand that as some kind of familiar joke? Or are you running a secret experiment on whether you can get some random thread shut down by making personal insults?

My sources, based on the above quotes, suggest that WSR may have about the same number of personalities as bittsen :D

The smilie indicates it's a joke. I have observed you to have a sense of humor. I figured you would be willing to take the joke.

Perhaps I have overestimated your good nature. If so, I apologize.

I can take a joke fine, if it doesn't cut too close to the truth. I've been trying to hide that about myself since I got here, so seeing it out in public was a bit of a shock!! My secret's out. I have Tootsie Rolls for Brains!!

I also believe that sig items can be taken without trade.

I disagree with this one point - a lot of effort has gone into some sigitems, and I believe in trading up or trading even.

Well I disagree. I don't see my sig items as swag or trade items and I don't expect anyone else to either. Some might even consider them cache filling trash. :) This perhaps colors my view toward other sig items.

Now if you disagree with me I will be down there soon and I'll make sure I find each and every one of your caches. B)

Jim

Well I disagree. I don't see my sig items as swag or trade items and I don't expect anyone else to either. Some might even consider them cache filling trash. :smile: This perhaps colors my view toward other sig items.

Now if you disagree with me I will be down there soon and I'll make sure I find each and every one of your caches. B)

OK, you win :)

But, hey, I traded for your sigitem! :P

I disagree with this one point - a lot of effort has gone into some sigitems, and I believe in trading up or trading even.

If anyone wants to take one of my sig items out of a cache they can as long as they don't have one already. No need to "trade" for it.

Even though I believe the opposite that you do, I leave items in caches even if i don't take anything. My cache swag Karma is evened out over the course of my caching, I'm sure.

i often leave signature items in caches without taking anything in trade; i do not intend for them to be taken without leaving something in trade.

if i take the time and (significant) expense to make something decent (and i am NOT talking about cheesy business cards) i expect them to be treated as regular swag and not as free gifts because they happen to have my name on them.

likewise when i find a sig item in a cache, i leave a trade item for it. you can make all the excuses you want for taking things without leaving anything in return, but it still leads to the same cache degradation that everyone seems to think is bad.

if i wish to leave something as a gift, i will label it "this is my gift to you; please leave nothing in return."

Huh! Don't need to trade for signature items? That's news to me.

I always thought it was a item that someone always left. Instead of leaving various items in a cache one would always leave the same item. On cacher around here always left a civil war era bullet. Another left a business card sized magnet with various pictures.

Additionally, these were always treated as trade items. You want it, you traded for it.

I've taken to leaving P-38s or P-51 can openers. If that's all that I leave then it becomes my signature item. I might get upset if I knew that folks think it perfectly acceptable to simply take it because it's my signature item.

I think folks got confused when more and more cachers started making things with their names on them. New cachers saw these signature items and thought these were collectibles--which they can be. Then confused that with not having to trade for trackables.

IMHO, the only thing you don't have to trade for are trackables which are meant to move from cache to cache.

If anyone wants to take one of my sig items out of a cache they can as long as they don't have one already. No need to "trade" for it.

Even though I believe the opposite that you do, I leave items in caches even if i don't take anything. My cache swag Karma is evened out over the course of my caching, I'm sure.

'Tis true......I've spent around $500 on trade items/sig items in the year and a half I've been caching. I think I rank up there on "time spent" also because my shrinky dink sig items and bottle cap sig items take a lot of time to make. And, yes, I do leave them in MANY caches without trading for anything. An ammo can always gets a pathtag (for the Cache Owner as a "reward" for the ammo can or the next cacher). I just made 150 ink jet shrinky dink sig items to flood the area with. Cachers love them and they appreciate me making them. I don't expect anyone to trade for my sig items. I also give them away in person.

Huh! Don't need to trade for signature items? That's news to me.

I always thought it was a item that someone always left. Instead of leaving various items in a cache one would always leave the same item. On cacher around here always left a civil war era bullet. Another left a business card sized magnet with various pictures.

Additionally, these were always treated as trade items. You want it, you traded for it.

I've taken to leaving P-38s or P-51 can openers. If that's all that I leave then it becomes my signature item. I might get upset if I knew that folks think it perfectly acceptable to simply take it because it's my signature item.

I think folks got confused when more and more cachers started making things with their names on them. New cachers saw these signature items and thought these were collectibles--which they can be. Then confused that with not having to trade for trackables.

IMHO, the only thing you don't have to trade for are trackables which are meant to move from cache to cache.

Agreed.

I've been looking for a thread to post this question in where it would be slightly on-topic and I think this one is the closest thread I can find without having to start a new one.

I have bought several Mother of Pearl gemstones from where I work. I plan on putting them in a little plastic bag with a sticker that has my user name and maybe my hometown.

My question is: Is is acceptable to also include the name of the company where I work and maybe the website as a little bit of free advertisement..?? I see business cards and pens with company names so I'm assuming this would be looked at as kinda the same thing.

On topic: I do also plan on signing the log..

I've been looking for a thread to post this question in where it would be slightly on-topic and I think this one is the closest thread I can find without having to start a new one.

I have bought several Mother of Pearl gemstones from where I work. I plan on putting them in a little plastic bag with a sticker that has my user name and maybe my hometown.

My question is: Is is acceptable to also include the name of the company where I work and maybe the website as a little bit of free advertisement..?? I see business cards and pens with company names so I'm assuming this would be looked at as kinda the same thing.

On topic: I do also plan on signing the log..

When this has been discussed previously, we were advised that this would be fine for trading in caches.

What would you all think if you found a nicely embroidered patch with a business card attached in your cach ??

I do machine embrodery work and love to do patches (something to do with geocaching) as give aways. Would this be an acceptable signature item ?? Or would the business card make it less acceptable ??

I would f course still sign the log and log my find online.

One more question. What technology makes a TB or geocoin trackable ?? I see that you have to use an approved vendor to make your coins, etc. Why can we not do them ourslves ??

What would you all think if you found a nicely embroidered patch with a business card attached in your cach ??

I would love it, with or without the business card.

One more question. What technology makes a TB or geocoin trackable ?? I see that you have to use an approved vendor to make your coins, etc. Why can we not do them ourslves ??

Anyone can make a TB or geocoin, and if you know a little web programming, you can make it trackable. But you have to work with Groundspeak or one of their approved vendors if you want it to be trackable on geocaching.com.

I do machine embrodery work and love to do patches (something to do with geocaching) as give aways. Would this be an acceptable signature item ?? Or would the business card make it less acceptable ??

i would snap that puppy up so fast you wouldn't see anything but a blur.

Anyone can make a TB or geocoin, and if you know a little web programming, you can make it trackable. But you have to work with Groundspeak or one of their approved vendors if you want it to be trackable on geocaching.com.

Thank you for the information and thanks for the feedback on the patch idea. I wanted something personal to me, and I figured that patches would be a popular item-lucky they are easy for me to make my own.

:P

You do not have to use an approved vendor. As long as Groundspeak approves the design of your coin, you can have it made any way you like. That list is way out of date, and just a starting place to find people who have experience making geocoins(which is very helpful). You can even make the coins yourself.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Anyone can make a trackable item, using whatever technology they like(build your own website, or use an existing one...there are several, but I don't want to name them. You can email me if you like)

If you want your trackable item to be OFFICIALY trackable at THIS website, and therefore show up on Cache pages and the profiles of those who find it...you'll need to get your tracking codes from Groundspeak. You can learn a lot about this in the Geocoin forums.

Anyone can make a trackable item, using whatever technology they like(build your own website, or use an existing one...there are several, but I don't want to name them. You can email me if you like)

If you want your trackable item to be OFFICIALY trackable at THIS website, and therefore show up on Cache pages and the profiles of those who find it...you'll need to get your tracking codes from Groundspeak (at $1.50 minimum each). You can learn a lot about this in the Geocoin forums.

If you want your trackable item to be OFFICIALY trackable at THIS website, and therefore show up on Cache pages and the profiles of those who find it...you'll need to get your tracking codes from Groundspeak (at $1.50 minimum each). You can learn a lot about this in the Geocoin forums.

I think the $1.50 is pretty mich set in stome, I've never heard of any volume discounts for tracking codes. Any minimums I've heard of are for the number of codes you have to buy, I think it's 50 right now.