City Maps

1. Is the City Maps NT the only choice for the 300?

2. Where is the best place to get the maps and the best price?

3. New or used?

1 Yes, if you want them to auto-route. No, if you just want the street detail without auto-routing. Free very good street detail for US here http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ called Ibycus USA.

2. Are several good discount places online. Amazon, gpscity.com, thegpstore.com, and several more.

3.All City Navigator Maps on DVD require an unlock code that locks them to one and only one GPS... therefore no such thing as being able to get used City Navigaor maps on DVD. On the other hand if they are on the Micro SD card from the factory then the memory card can be used in multiple GPSs. Generally it is recommended for someone buying new CN maps to buy them on the DVD for the added versatility of being able to view, create routes/tracks, and preplan trips on your computer. Maps bought on the memory card can no be viewed on computer.

1. Is the City Maps NT the only choice for the 300?

2. Where is the best place to get the maps and the best price?

3. New or used?

1 Yes, if you want them to auto-route. No, if you just want the street detail without auto-routing. Free very good street detail for US here http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ called Ibycus USA.

2. Are several good discount places online. Amazon, gpscity.com, thegpstore.com, and several more.

3.All City Navigator Maps on DVD require an unlock code that locks them to one and only one GPS... therefore no such thing as being able to get used City Navigaor maps on DVD. On the other hand if they are on the Micro SD card from the factory then the memory card can be used in multiple GPSs. Generally it is recommended for someone buying new CN maps to buy them on the DVD for the added versatility of being able to view, create routes/tracks, and preplan trips on your computer. Maps bought on the memory card can no be viewed on computer.

I have the city navigator maps on mine, and I just love it to death, they're terrific and work really well.

It's unfortunate that it's locked down so tightly, but that's just a fact of life.

Garmin DvD is 1 computer only, for the Us/Can see at gpsfiledepot (2nd posting)

- i do not know why but I can install on 2 places with the same CN_NT dvd: my laptop and desktop but for only the same one gps. I can use it when i'm on the road with my laptop. At home, i plug my nuvi to the desktop.

Edited by shivia
For the unlock code, can you install the DVD, and use it, on multiple computers? Say install on a desktop and then on laptop to use while on vacation etc. and still only using it on one GPSr.

Yes, you can install City Navigator DVD on multiple computers, and the maps can be transferred from multiple computers, to the one and only one GPS that the maps are unlocked to.

Garmin DvD is 1 computer only, for the Us/Can see at gpsfiledepot (2nd posting)

- i do not know why but I can install on 2 places with the same CN_NT dvd: my laptop and desktop but for only the same one gps. I can use it when i'm on the road with my laptop. At home, i plug my nuvi to the desktop.

No "why" needed. Splashy is just incorrect. The DVD map data is locked to a specific GPS unit, not a specific computer.