What? Wait a Minute? Did I See that Right ? It Can't Be !

A lot of people play differently. have you ever played a card game at a friends house and you have to play by their "house rules". Everybody has their own little set of rules and I don't criticize other cachers for how they play. I just ask that when they play in my "house" they play by my rules.

I personally don't long finds on my caches but that is how I play.

If GC didn't want people to log finds on their own caches they would make it so you can't.

Have you ever played a card game at a friend's house and the guy sitting next to you peeks at your cards and cheats ?

Also, to say, "If GC didn't want people to log finds on their own caches they would make it so you can't," is so completely ridiculous, I'm rendered speechless....which takes a lot !

If 7-11 didn't want customers to steal their deli sandwiches they would lock em' up ! You can steal their sandwiches right ? They're not locked up ?? Why don't you steal them...after all, you can !!! Because IT'S WRONG that's why !!!

I wouldn't log my own caches, but there is nothing to stop anyone from doing so. Vinny....you have one heck of an overactive imagination to come up with the stuff you type. I enjoy reading it but wonder where it comes from.

TOOOOOO MUCH COFFFFFFEEEEEEEEEEE!

But still always fun to read.

May be every one needs a coffee break now and then, instead of stressing over something that will not affect their lives in any way other then giving them selves a heart attack.

I have never logged any of my own caches. My kids have their own accounts. I have logged some of their hides that I did not help with and the ones I did help with are just that. Ones I helped hide, so no smiley. As for the way others log. Why waist so much time and energy on how some one else lives their life or in this case plays a GAME. Will it give you a bigger paycheck? Will it change your life and how you live? (well in this case in may change your life by shortening it) I have hidden a lot of caches and I could care less if you log a bogus find on it. It’s your life and if that is how you wish to live. O Well! It won’t change mine or stop me from having the fun I HAVE GEOCACHING with my kids.

That’s what this game is about.

I wouldn't log my own caches, but there is nothing to stop anyone from doing so. Vinny....you have one heck of an overactive imagination to come up with the stuff you type. I enjoy reading it but wonder where it comes from.

No. I do not drink coffee, and never have. I belong to that small percentage of the population that gets blinding headaches from ingesting anything with caffeine in it (i.e., coffee, chocolate, some teas) and from ingesting wine or beer and some types of hard liquor. And I do not smoke. And, because I am a health nut, I do not ever take prescription meds or over-the-counter meds (or, of course, street meds!), ever.

Have you ever played a card game at a friend's house and the guy sitting next to you peeks at your cards and cheats ?

Also, to say, "If GC didn't want people to log finds on their own caches they would make it so you can't," is so completely ridiculous, I'm rendered speechless....which takes a lot !

If 7-11 didn't want customers to steal their deli sandwiches they would lock em' up ! You can steal their sandwiches right ? They're not locked up ?? Why don't you steal them...after all, you can !!! Because IT'S WRONG that's why !!!

This quite possibly takes the lead in my on going attempts to find the most asinine post in existence.

First you break out the "C" word.

Cheating implies that rules have been broken. In most card games, looking at hidden cards would constitute a rules violation.

Logging a find on your own cache, however quirky it may sound, does not constitute a rules violation.

Ergo, it cannot, by even the strictest definition, be considered cheating.

Then you attack the most reasonable post in this mass of foolishness.

Writing software is a fairly easy task, especially for the geniuses at Groundspeak. As such, this begs the question, "Why didn't Groundspeak prohibit this obviously sinful behavior?" Lets pretend for the moment that no one at Groundspeak was capable of writing a script which would prevent this heinous activity. If they had a problem with it, surely they could add something to that effect in their Guidelines. Yet, they have not. Why is that? I'm betting that it's because Groundspeak recognizes that folks will play this game in the manner best suited for them, rather than taking on the ideals of others.

Lastly, you compare a perfectly legitimate, (though admittedly odd), logging practice with a criminal act. The reason you cannot steal a sandwich from 7-11 is because there are specific laws against doing so. These laws govern behavior, and spell out the consequences for those who choose to break them. These laws were written in the attempt to reduce victimization. Stealing a sandwich from 7-11 costs the store owner money. If I were to suddenly log finds on all my caches, how much money would that cost you? How much money would it cost anyone? I'm thinking the number would be really low.

I believe you mentioned the phrase "completely ridiculous". That perfectly describes your entire rant.

Logging your own caches is WRONG for you.

Fortunately, you are not the arbiter of all that is moral and right in the Geocaching world.

A lot of people play differently. have you ever played a card game at a friends house and you have to play by their "house rules". Everybody has their own little set of rules and I don't criticize other cachers for how they play. I just ask that when they play in my "house" they play by my rules.

I personally don't long finds on my caches but that is how I play.

If GC didn't want people to log finds on their own caches they would make it so you can't.

Ummm, none of those analogies are actually analogous to this situation.

Logging a find on your own cache(s) isn't the worst thing. I've come close to logging a DNF on my own cache(s) during maintenance visits. That'd be worse.

Logging a find on your own cache obviously isn't," the worst thing," but it is totally lame, sad, hilarious and pathetic.

I would like to know more about this DNF potential log posting during maintenance of your own cache ?? Are you saying your cache was moved so far from where you left it you couldn't find it ?

Repeating the same rant over and over is...(please see the boldended part above). Thinking that others cheat because they do things differently is...(please see the boldended part above). Wanting people to stop having fun doing their thing merely because you disagree is...(please see the boldended part above). Not being able to open one's mind and actually grasp reality is...well, just sad!

I would like to know more about this DNF potential log posting during maintenance of your own cache ?? Are you saying your cache was moved so far from where you left it you couldn't find it ?

Yep. It's actually a combination of cache-rehide-migration and fading memory over time. For example, I just did maintenance on my Sheepshead cache while placing a new cache nearby. Went right to the spot where I left the Sheepshead cache five years ago, and found nothing. Argh. Thought I'd misremembered the location. Decided to check the nearby summit-register cairn, and found the cache some distance away lying in a shallow pit in the granite. Some climber-muggles had signed the log and left the cache out, I guess. No harm done this time, but on other occasions I've had a real search on my hands...

I agree that logging your own cache is a faux-pas, but don't get too exercised about it. Heck, I guess I've even done it, in that I've adopted some caches that I previously found. To my mind, it'd be worse to adopt a cache I hadn't previously found.

I truly thought I had already stated my logging of one of our hides, guess I didn't (maybe another thread). When Tod died, we were working on a cache which would have been a 5/5...this was the last cache Tod had worked on with us before his departure.

A group of us decided to finish the hide, we made it a LOT easier and shortened it to around 3 miles total, placed the container and then all logged our finds making us FTF as well as hiders! Was this bad form? maybe to those who can't grasp that this is a GAME, but we did it for only one reason:

Respect for our friend and my caching partner! We signed the log, we put in our memories and we then left. The next cacher didn't even log a find, only a note saying he found it and took nothing but the meories of Tod! Sure, we could have left it and not logged a find, not our plan and not what we did! You can sit there and bellow how wrong we are, I don't care and really, you're opinion means zilch to me anyway!

if this were a game where the numbers really mattered, it might be different. However, it's a fun activity where everyone has their own idea of what is fun...live with it or go on crying! I will continue to laugh at how I percieive your rants!

To my mind, it'd be worse to adopt a cache I hadn't previously found.

I recently did this. A local legand asked me to adopt a handful of his caches, and I was both honored and delighted to accept.

I found some of them prior to this, but I still haven't found the others.

When I do, I reckon I'll log them as finds, since I'll certainly be finding them.

To my mind, it'd be worse to adopt a cache I hadn't previously found.

I recently did this. A local legand asked me to adopt a handful of his caches, and I was both honored and delighted to accept.

I found some of them prior to this, but I still haven't found the others.

When I do, I reckon I'll log them as finds, since I'll certainly be finding them.

Pre-adoptive find is better, but soon after is fine, too. My side-point was only that an adoptive owner ought to have visited his adoptees so as to be knowledgeable enough to answer questions, perform maintenance, etc. This was the nut of an issue that arose locally wherein some old, backcountry caches came up for adoption. A cacher who had never visited some of these caches nonetheless wanted to adopt them and rely on others to do maintenance, etc.

Pre-adoptive find is better, but soon after is fine, too. My side-point was only that an adoptive owner ought to have visited his adoptees so as to be knowledgeable enough to answer questions, perform maintenance, etc. This was the nut of an issue that arose locally wherein some old, backcountry caches came up for adoption. A cacher who had never visited some of these caches nonetheless wanted to adopt them and rely on others to do maintenance, etc.

If someone asked me to adopt caches which were rich in history, I'd also be honored and delighted to do so regardless of whether I found them or not! I would then make a point to go and find them and log the finds, but I'd still do the honorable thing and adopt!!

I agree this could make for some interesting times until I found the cache, but at least the cache is still in play. This would only really matter (to me) on a handful of caches!

If someone asked me to adopt caches which were rich in history, I'd also be honored and delighted to do so regardless of whether I found them or not! I would then make a point to go and find them and log the finds, but I'd still do the honorable thing and adopt!!

I agree this could make for some interesting times until I found the cache, but at least the cache is still in play. This would only really matter (to me) on a handful of caches!

Me, too. We're in complete agreement. Suppose the caches were offered instead to an equally responsible cacher who had found them. you wouldn't object to that adoption, I'm guessing. That's the weird situation that cropped up here--sort of a dog-in-the-manger scenario.

Me, too. We're in complete agreement. Suppose the caches were offered instead to an equally responsible cacher who had found them. you wouldn't object to that adoption, I'm guessing. That's the weird situation that cropped up here--sort of a dog-in-the-manger scenario.

Yep!! While I would be honored, I'd rather the more knowledged person adopted the cache (unless it was a really cool cache, then I might be all greedy like and want it merely for prestige lol)!

Either way, there have been plenty of examples of why logging your own cache is far from absurd, ridiculous etc!!

I also am one of those people that adopted caches that I have found and haven't found. In fact I asked the people here on the forums if it would be prudent to log the ones I haven't found yet as finds. I asked this because I wanted to go out and check the caches that I had adopted to ensure they were ok.

The general consensus of the replies were that they thought it would be ok to log finds on the 2 I hadn't found as long as I stated in my log as to why I am logging them as finds. So that is what I did.

No. I do not drink coffee, and never have. I belong to that small percentage of the population that gets blinding headaches from ingesting anything with caffeine in it (i.e., coffee, chocolate, some teas) and from ingesting wine or beer and some types of hard liquor. And I do not smoke. And, because I am a health nut, I do not ever take prescription meds or over-the-counter meds (or, of course, street meds!), ever.

OK, that leaves the magic mushrooms and alien rays being beamed directly into your brain.

May be every one needs a coffee break now and then, instead of stressing over something that will not affect their lives in any way other then giving them selves a heart attack.

I have never logged any of my own caches. My kids have their own accounts. I have logged some of their hides that I did not help with and the ones I did help with are just that. Ones I helped hide, so no smiley. As for the way others log. Why waist so much time and energy on how some one else lives their life or in this case plays a GAME. Will it give you a bigger paycheck? Will it change your life and how you live? (well in this case in may change your life by shortening it) I have hidden a lot of caches and I could care less if you log a bogus find on it. It’s your life and if that is how you wish to live. O Well! It won’t change mine or stop me from having the fun I HAVE GEOCACHING with my kids.

That’s what this game is about.

Corrections: Maybe......everyone....themselves....waste....someone else....and it's not, "I could care less," it's, "I couldn't care less..." and in closing it's, "Oh well," not, "O Well."

Well, as has been stated, it's not anyone's business what finds I allow or disallow on my caches. If you look, you will find a few find logs on our own caches, but they all have an attached log text that I (BC) hide the caches almost exclusively without the attendance of MsKitty. Believe it or not, sometimes I don't tell her anything at all about the cache, and she actually hunts for and finds it without any input at all from me.

OK, sure, we could have just logged a note for this, to satisfy those that think their judgment about what its "right and what is lame" but since it is our cache, and since the numbers really don't mean anything, to anyone but us, we decided to log these finds as finds!

Be careful about passing judgment on something you really know nothing about, that has many different possible scenarios.

Oh yeah .. we don't want to have seperate accounts either, and that too is our choice to make or not.

If you want "HILARIOUS AND ONE OF THE MOST RIDICULOUS, ABSURD, LAUGHABLE things", it's someone who sees only their own viewpoint and makes judgments based on that without any thought that there might be some legitimate reasons for doing something.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Have you ever seen someone log their own cache as a find ??

Have you ever seen someone/both people, log a cache they hid together as a find ?

This is HILARIOUS AND ONE OF THE MOST RIDICULOUS, ABSURD, LAUGHABLE ;) Geocaching nonsense practices I've seen to date. Gimme a break !

(Edit: I think we'll go log all of our own caches tomorrow and get ourselves 67 more points. Then I'm gonna go play hide and seek by myself. I'll hide myself and then see if I can find me !)

I place a really nice FTF prize in all my caches. Usually a Garmin Colorado 400t GPSr or 6 $100 bills. I make sure to mention the FTF prize online on the cache page. Then I wait until the first online log is made for the cache before I make my FTF log online saying that I was the true FTFer and because I was the true FTFer I took the FTF prize for myself. :laughing:

If I actually placed the cache, then I would definitely not log a find. However, I recently adopted 3 caches that I'd never seen. I wanted to preserve the hiking caches in the outback that I love so much and it was either adopt them or watch them get archived and replaced with nano's in the woods.

I went to do a maintenance check on the first one last week, and I did claim a find on that one, because it was hidden by someone else and I hadn't found it yet. Next week, I'll do the same on the next one. Since each cache requires a good hour to 90 minutes to hike out and back, I'm doing them when I get time.

There would be no point in logging a find on a cache I placed myself. I know where it is, there's no challenge, and no looking for it. Finding implies you didn't know where it was.

Have you ever seen someone/both people, log a cache they hid together as a find ?

This is HILARIOUS AND ONE OF THE MOST RIDICULOUS, ABSURD, LAUGHABLE :D Geocaching nonsense practices I've seen to date. Gimme a break !

(Edit: I think we'll go log all of our own caches tomorrow and get ourselves 67 more points. Then I'm gonna go play hide and seek by myself.)

I am somewhat insulted by your words above, but I forgive you because you are a relative newbie to this sport, having started in only July of 2007. I have logged many dozens, and sometimes hundreds, of finds on each of our 30-odd caches, and particularly on our several archived caches.

In fact, I did this ONLY because God and the Archangel Gabriel commanded me to do so. You see, there was a time, way back when, in the Dark Days, when Sue and I would go to events or show up on the forums, and other geocachers would point at us and laugh at us, saying "What? You have been geocaching for 6 months and have fewer than 500 finds? Why, I had 5,000 finds at my 6-month marker!"

I finally got tired of hearing these put-downs, and so I consulted with two image consultants, two public relations specialists, three psychotherapists and two certified life coaches, and also Oprah, and finally, Dr. Phil, and they each unilaterally suggested that we increase our find count the easy way, by logging multiple finds on our own caches.

However, I resisted this advice, and initially, I did not follow it, because somehow it did not feel right to me.

Then, one day, as I grew more and more unhappy and more and more despondent over the obvious fact that the geocaching world had turned into a numbers game, and that Sue and I were objects of ridicule for our low find count.

Finally, on one of my darkest days, as I was walking to town, God appeared to me, along with Archangel Gabriel, and God ordered me to start logging dozens of finds on each of our caches in order to improve our find count, and I remember that His final words to me, before he and Gabriel disappeared in a flash of light, were:

"There are no rules in geocaching, nor in life -- do whatever it takes to build your self-esteem! I also order you to log hundreds of finds/attendeds on each event which you attend! Remember, Vinny, there are no rights and wrongs, and there is only moral relativism!"

Well, I was quite humbled by this Divine Experience, and so I immediately started logging dozens of finds on each of our caches, and my self-esteem improved, and I stopped kicking the dog, and geocachers began to accept us! Life is great now, we have plenty of geo-friends, we are accepted in the geo world, and best of all, our finds count is up in the stratosphere, thanks to the intervention of God!

POSTSCRIPT ADDED VIA LATE EDIT:

I should also add that my old car is an oil-burner, and we need to add a quart of oil to the crankcase every 200 miles. Every time I add a quart of oil to the car engine, or perform other maintenance on the car, I immediately log another find on one of my archived caches, as a way of rewarding myself!

An awesome confidence-building idea I MUST use the next time I really feel depressed!

This quite possibly takes the lead in my on going attempts to find the most asinine post in existence.

First you break out the "C" word.

Cheating implies that rules have been broken. In most card games, looking at hidden cards would constitute a rules violation.

Logging a find on your own cache, however quirky it may sound, does not constitute a rules violation.

Ergo, it cannot, by even the strictest definition, be considered cheating.

Then you attack the most reasonable post in this mass of foolishness.

Writing software is a fairly easy task, especially for the geniuses at Groundspeak. As such, this begs the question, "Why didn't Groundspeak prohibit this obviously sinful behavior?" Lets pretend for the moment that no one at Groundspeak was capable of writing a script which would prevent this heinous activity. If they had a problem with it, surely they could add something to that effect in their Guidelines. Yet, they have not. Why is that? I'm betting that it's because Groundspeak recognizes that folks will play this game in the manner best suited for them, rather than taking on the ideals of others.

Lastly, you compare a perfectly legitimate, (though admittedly odd), logging practice with a criminal act. The reason you cannot steal a sandwich from 7-11 is because there are specific laws against doing so. These laws govern behavior, and spell out the consequences for those who choose to break them. These laws were written in the attempt to reduce victimization. Stealing a sandwich from 7-11 costs the store owner money. If I were to suddenly log finds on all my caches, how much money would that cost you? How much money would it cost anyone? I'm thinking the number would be really low.

I believe you mentioned the phrase "completely ridiculous". That perfectly describes your entire rant.

Logging your own caches is WRONG for you.

Fortunately, you are not the arbiter of all that is moral and right in the Geocaching world.

Thanks CR, your post is on-target.

I am only concerned with how and if other's log my owned caches.

While I may loose respect for someone who logs their own cache multiple times, it is truly none of my business. But the cited example is indeed not a log by a cache owner on their own cache...is it?

Just one of many potential scenarios is that perhaps Cacher B used his awesome 4WD to drive Cacher A to the hide location. Cacher B never got out of the vehicle while Cacher A hid the cache, but Cacher A was so thankful to Cacher B that he was named as co-owner, and ostensibly the heir-apparent should Cacher A 'go missing'. On a subsequent maintenance visit, Cacher B was allowed the find because he 'found' the cache he never saw being hidden.

In any case, the OP should probably spend more time out in the woods, and less time at the computer stirring the pot. (waaayyy out in the woods...)

And in closing, if this is the biggest injustice in the OP's world...they are living a charmed life. :)

This is HILARIOUS AND ONE OF THE MOST RIDICULOUS, ABSURD, LAUGHABLE :) Geocaching nonsense practices I've seen to date. Gimme a break !

(Edit: I think we'll go log all of our own caches tomorrow and get ourselves 67 more points. Then I'm gonna go play hide and seek by myself. I'll hide myself and then see if I can find me !)

I've not logged one that I hid and own, but I do have finds on caches I own because of adoption, etc..

A lot of people around here DO log finds of caches they hid and own, I guess they want their find count to go up, since its just a game I don't look down on them or tell on them, I want my finds to go up too, so I understand... I just wouldn't do it that way.

I think it's a juvenile act to log your own hide as a find, but I don't see how it effects me in any way; so what difference does it make?

There is (was, they just moved) a couple here that logs their owns caches and each own caches and the cache that their parents hid with them while they were visiting them. They not only did it once for each cache, but did it multiple times per cache. The rest of the caching community around here knows they do it, but they still hunt for caches the couple hides. The two of them log finds on others' hides. They are even welcome to all the local events.

Their logging of their caches doesn't in any way take away from anyone else's caching pleasure. Is it silly for them to do? Yes. Should I worry about it? No.

what about someone who has placed a challenge cache? They might have completed the challenge of finding 40 something caches but since they placed the final, what do they do? I'm thinking of doing my first delorme challenge. Guess the placer might not ever get a smiley but they do have my gratitude for placing it.

what about someone who has placed a challenge cache? They might have completed the challenge of finding 40 something caches but since they placed the final, what do they do? I'm thinking of doing my first delorme challenge. Guess the placer might not ever get a smiley but they do have my gratitude for placing it.

I have no idea where my DeLorme challenge is hidden. I didn't hide it my co-owner did. So maybe this summer I might claim a find on that one.

More that likely I'll just post a completed note and leave it at that.

I think that challenge cache owners should be welcome to log there cache as a find once they complete the mission. After all, for these caches, the challenge is the thing. The box at the end truly is of secondary importance.

Edited by sbell111
I think that challenge cache owners should be welcome to log there cache as a find once they complete the mission. After all, for these caches, the challenge is the thing. The box at the end truly is of secondary importance.

I agree with sbell here. I see nothing wrong with logging your own challenge caches, as the challenge is the thing.

I still don't know if I will log my own. My count number is the caches that I have found that I have not hidden. However, that is what my count number is, not yours. You do what you think is right so that your number reflects what you want it to.

My personal opinion should not be used as a guide for your caching experience. Now if you ask for my opinion I will give it to you, but that doesn't mean you have to accept it or even like it. That's one of the things that caching fun.

(It's also the reason I'll never be fully accepted into the ranks of the Puritans or the Heretics. :blink::blink: )

I am the co-owner of two Challenge Caches -- the Pennsylvania DeLorme and All Counties Challenges. One reason for setting them up was that I wanted to complete the challenges. So, I did that, driving all over the State over the course of a year. I arrived home after completing the last little corner on the opposite end of the State, and read this thread. Somewhat to my surprise, the majority of opinions offered by people whose opinions mattered to me said that they would not log a find on their own challenge cache. So, I didn't. I still had a good trip, and I have a very pretty map to look at on my profile page.

This is HILARIOUS AND ONE OF THE MOST RIDICULOUS, ABSURD, LAUGHABLE :blink: Geocaching nonsense practices I've seen to date. Gimme a break !

Have you found yourself or are you still looking?

Corrections: Maybe......everyone....themselves....waste....someone else....and it's not, "I could care less," it's, "I couldn't care less..." and in closing it's, "Oh well," not, "O Well."

Attacking minor grammatical errors instead of discussing content is a fantastic way to win your argument, no?

I am the co-owner of two Challenge Caches -- the Pennsylvania DeLorme and All Counties Challenges. One reason for setting them up was that I wanted to complete the challenges. So, I did that, driving all over the State over the course of a year. I arrived home after completing the last little corner on the opposite end of the State, and read this thread. Somewhat to my surprise, the majority of opinions offered by people whose opinions mattered to me said that they would not log a find on their own challenge cache. So, I didn't. I still had a good trip, and I have a very pretty map to look at on my profile page.
I remembered that thread a little differently, so I took a harder look at it.

It's true that the majority of opinions were against logging one's own challenge cache, but this is because those dissenters logged lots of opinions. The numbers actually came down like this: 20 cachers favored logging one's own challenge while 17 cachers were against the practice. Two of those voting 'Against' would support the idea of the cache owner hid the cache using a sock account (go figure).

That being said, I'm not in favor of altering my practices based on majority rule, so I think that you should do what you think is right no matter how many people believe differently (at least in this case).

Edited by sbell111

That might work for something big like a Delorme or All Counties, but if someone with 100 virtuals found places a challenge requiring you to have found 20 virtuals, it won't seem very special. Especially when the next week they place a challenge requiring you to have found 25 virtuals. :blink:

This is HILARIOUS AND ONE OF THE MOST RIDICULOUS, ABSURD, LAUGHABLE :) Geocaching nonsense practices I've seen to date. Gimme a break !

you obviously log your own caches.

you obviously log your own caches.

This is HILARIOUS AND ONE OF THE MOST RIDICULOUS, ABSURD, LAUGHABLE :) Geocaching nonsense practices I've seen to date.

I'd disagree with "one of the most". Not by far. But if they had actually placed it, it is sad.

Thanks to Starbrand for pointing out how it can be perfectly normal.

I did come across a log once where someone said they are logging a cache after they recently adopted. I'm not sure if they knew where it was before adopting it, but it does seem a little unusual.

I actually did that, I adopted a bunch of caches back when I first started that were in my area because they were all under the weather and threatning archive. So I adopted, went and found, then performed maintenance... I see no problem with that, nor is it absurd IMO. I've also found caches and then adopted.

Guess I never thought about finding my hides, although, with cache migration, sometimes a maintenance run turns into a full blown search because people replace caches where they felt was a better place.

This is HILARIOUS AND ONE OF THE MOST RIDICULOUS, ABSURD, LAUGHABLE <_< Geocaching nonsense practices I've seen to date. Gimme a break !

I Have several like that. I adopted them well after finding them.