Recommendations for Scottish Visitors

Firth of Forth

FoF... fancy finding you here! :)

If you want to take a 95 min scenic journey through the Gulf Islands (maybe see some orca, porpoises, eagles, kayakers, sailboats), hop on a BC Ferry and come to Victoria for our Victoria Day celebrations!

We have an incredible selection of caches from urban to rural to long scenic ocean-view hikes and all points in between.

You're welcome to stop by LSHQ - we'll be here for sure that weekend... busy with out-of-town cachers coming by and getting ready for our trip to Tennessee (GeoWoodstock) the following week.

We have some Bookmark lists that you could use and I'll make sure they're freshly updated if you think you'll be over on the Island.

If you want to take a 95 min scenic journey through the Gulf Islands (maybe see some orca, porpoises, eagles, kayakers, sailboats), hop on a BC Ferry and come to Victoria for our Victoria Day celebrations!

We have an incredible selection of caches from urban to rural to long scenic ocean-view hikes and all points in between.

You're welcome to stop by LSHQ - we'll be here for sure that weekend... busy with out-of-town cachers coming by and getting ready for our trip to Tennessee (GeoWoodstock) the following week.

We have some Bookmark lists that you could use and I'll make sure they're freshly updated if you think you'll be over on the Island.

Now that sounds like a great idea. Just a few questions, though. When is Victoria day? From the map it looks like the ferry goes to Swartz Bay, or is there one to Victoria. What's transport like on the island? Or are there some caches accessible from the ferry port? Questions, questions!! We have most of a weekend free before Jack has to work, then I'll carry on the caching for another 3 days so I should have time to explore a bit.

Edited to add: Just seen a link on your website to ferry schedules, so can ignore at least one of those questions! I suppose a better question is which would be the best ferry route/island to visit that I could pick up some nice caches on foot on a day tour?

Edited by Firth of Forth

Well, a trip to Canada wouldn't be complete without finding one of my caches. Now that sounds a little immodest but I mention it because you've already found one of my caches in Dundee. If I had to pick one to recommend during your visit, I think I'd go with GC178KP. May should make for a pleasant outing - and a bit of exercise too!

Well, a trip to Canada wouldn't be complete without finding one of my caches. Now that sounds a little immodest but I mention it because you've already found one of my caches in Dundee. If I had to pick one to recommend during your visit, I think I'd go with GC178KP. May should make for a pleasant outing - and a bit of exercise too!

Hi there Couparangus. Yes, a very long time ago, I did you cache in Angus - and if I remember correctly, nearly broke my ankle putting my foot down a rabbit hole trying to get to it! :)

I will put your Toronto cache on the list and see if it's close to where we are staying. Thanks

If your driving?

This is a must do

GC80CB Othelo Tunnel

This is right in Hope

GC12PG Home Gold Mill

A litle way up the Fraser Canyon but worth the trip

GCA288 Crossing the Fraser

What's your route and geomobile?

Hi I should have explained that we are travelling from Vancouver to Banff by train (stopping in Kamloops overnight). But we are hiring a car to travel between Banff and Jasper, so lots of caching is possible on that route.

....But we are hiring a car to travel between Banff and Jasper, so lots of caching is possible on that route.

Lots is a relative term... That is all within national parks and placing caches in a national parks is quite difficult. Thus the amount of caches is limited.

The train is nice, but if you had time, driving leaves a lot more room for interesting places to visit. After the train are you driving to Calgary and then flying to Toronto?

....But we are hiring a car to travel between Banff and Jasper, so lots of caching is possible on that route.

Lots is a relative term... That is all within national parks and placing caches in a national parks is quite difficult. Thus the amount of caches is limited.

The train is nice, but if you had time, driving leaves a lot more room for interesting places to visit. After the train are you driving to Calgary and then flying to Toronto?

Yes - I have seen that there are not hundreds of caches in the National parks, but more than enough to keep us busy for a few days. We are going by train (again) from Jasper to Toronto. We are a bit short on time, and trying to pack a lot in a few weeks.

Now that sounds like a great idea. Just a few questions, though. When is Victoria day? From the map it looks like the ferry goes to Swartz Bay, or is there one to Victoria. What's transport like on the island? Or are there some caches accessible from the ferry port? Questions, questions!! We have most of a weekend free before Jack has to work, then I'll carry on the caching for another 3 days so I should have time to explore a bit.

Edited to add: Just seen a link on your website to ferry schedules, so can ignore at least one of those questions! I suppose a better question is which would be the best ferry route/island to visit that I could pick up some nice caches on foot on a day tour?

Victoria Day is May 18th but it sounds like you'll be too early for the festivities. Its a bank holiday here but everything else will be open Sunday hours 11am-5pm).

Sidney, BC is absolutely divine and a very short city bus ride from the ferry. I can spend all day there, caching, shopping, going for coffee, baked good, book stores, beaches, etc.

Victoria is 30 mins from the ferry and there are regular buses from the ferry to downtown and back again that align with the ferry schedule. PM me if you need an specifics.

FoF... fancy finding you here! :(

Victoria Day is May 18th but it sounds like you'll be too early for the festivities. Its a bank holiday here but everything else will be open Sunday hours 11am-5pm).

Sidney, BC is absolutely divine and a very short city bus ride from the ferry. I can spend all day there, caching, shopping, going for coffee, baked good, book stores, beaches, etc.

Victoria is 30 mins from the ferry and there are regular buses from the ferry to downtown and back again that align with the ferry schedule. PM me if you need an specifics.

That's great, thanks for the information. And thanks to everyone else who has posted here with useful tips too. :ph34r:

"Jack Aubrey" what an awesome caching name. Did you hide a cache at each stop on your voyage, I read all the books but couldn't bring myself to read the "Unfinished Voyage". I've been to Edinburgh (BC - before caching) and crossed the bridge over the Forth, wonderful city and the BEST vacation for my both my wife and I. My parents are from Scotland, emigrated to Canada in 1930. :)

Edited by Runaway46

Hi there Couparangus. Yes, a very long time ago, I did you cache in Angus - and if I remember correctly, nearly broke my ankle putting my foot down a rabbit hole trying to get to it! :P

I will put your Toronto cache on the list and see if it's close to where we are staying. Thanks

Ah, yes. That sounds a lot like the Coupar Angus Was Here Geocache. I've since decommissioned that one due to lack of visits. Squeakieboots and I did the running of the bulls last summer to retrieve the container which hadn't been visited in over a year. I guess Coupar-Angus is a little off the beaten track for Britcachers. The Binn Tower, Kinnoull Tower and Dundee Law seem to be more popular. They're all virtuals so maintenance is easy. :)

Hopefully you'll have a hire car in Toronto as I think most cachers will agree the best finds are outside of the city. If you do find yourself downtown a worthwhile trip is to Toronto Island. There are enough caches there that you'll see the whole island. Bicycles are available for rent to.

FoF, enjoy your time in Canada! My family descends from your area, roughly.

As for caches to visit, I would recommend a couple of earthcaches, Moneyed Waters (GC16HB4), Johnston Canyon Lower Falls (GC1BAPY) both in Banff. Moneyed Waters gives a great history tour of how Banff came to be a park and very interesting geological information. The lower falls is a short (1.1 km one way) hike and can be busy so it's best to be there early if you want to avoid crowds. I am trying to get my own EC approved further up the trail from the lower falls and that would be an 11 Km hike round trip.

Another neat one that's west of Banff is the Paint Pots (GCG1TR), one of my favourites. if you're doing that one, may as well grab a virtual at the Great Divide (GC8160).

Jasper is a beautiful area, I'll even say I prefer it over Banff but I haven't been there since I started caching. I would probably recommend GC1JTPJ though as it gives you a bit of a tour of the townsite. There is also a guided walk (not caching related) that is run out of the visitor centre. Last time i was there it was only two or three dollars. Well worth it to me.

As for Vancouver/Victoria, I'll be there in July myself so maybe you could recommend some to me after you visit. I will be going to Stanley Park for sure and doing a few there.

again, enjoy your stay.