Members Only...what do they offer exactly?

greywynd

I may not have the title exactly the best...what I'd like to know is what the owner of a members only cache sees or doesn't see. I know that it shows a list of the visitors to a cache page. Does it also show who has a watch, who has ignored it etc?

I'm not looking for any debates, just looking for some clarification on what it does exactly, I haven't been able to find this out.

Greywynd

I am a PM, simply for the PQ feature if nothing else. (Well, and to support the site too!)

I'm really wondering whether or not another cache owner, particularly of a MO cache would see it if I put a cache on ignore? It's something that I've wondered, and others have asked me as well, and I simply didn't know. I tried searching both the GC site and guidelines, and also the forums, but hadn't really found that out.

I am a PM, simply for the PQ feature if nothing else. (Well, and to support the site too!)

I'm really wondering whether or not another cache owner, particularly of a MO cache would see it if I put a cache on ignore? It's something that I've wondered, and others have asked me as well, and I simply didn't know. I tried searching both the GC site and guidelines, and also the forums, but hadn't really found that out.

No

No, there is no way that a Premium member, via perusal of their PM cache logs, would be able to discern that you had put their cache on Ignore, save for the minor fact that they might notice that you never visit the cache page. More importantly for me, however, might be the question of why would it matter to you if a cache owner were to find out that you had put their cache on ignore?

I was mostly just curious. There are a couple cachers in areas I cache that list all their caches as members-only, because of an issue a while back with what appeared to be malicious cache removal. One cache that they own a couple people have thought about putting on ignore, simply because it's a cache that isn't to their personal liking, but knowing the owner, they don't want to offend them either.

might be the question of why would it matter to you if a cache owner were to find out that you had put their cache on ignore?

Actually I wouldn't want the owner to know I had placed it on my ignore list becaue he would probably email me and want to know why. Given how much I use the ignore list I would find that annoying.

Besides I have people in black suits tell me that the aliens have tried to access the ignore list to look for discriminating cachers as opposed to the "I have to get all the caches" proleteriat types.

might be the question of why would it matter to you if a cache owner were to find out that you had put their cache on ignore?

Actually I wouldn't want the owner to know I had placed it on my ignore list becaue he would probably email me and want to know why. Given how much I use the ignore list I would find that annoying.

Besides I have people in black suits tell me that the aliens have tried to access the ignore list to look for discriminating cachers as opposed to the "I have to get all the caches" proleteriat types.

Are you sure you don't mean "white suits"? You may need to up your meds... :)

Are you sure you don't mean "white suits"? You may need to up your meds... :D

:)

The "Ignore" option got me thinking.

For cachers who don't care about statistics, the problem with not logging a find means that the cache doesn't disappear from your PQ etc. because you haven't told gc.com you have found it.

Wouldn't "Ignore" be a solution to the issue? If a cacher marked a cache as "Ignore Listing" once he had found it, it would no longer show up in his PQ's and there would be no statistcs showing his number of finds.

Edited by Tequila

More importantly for me, however, might be the question of why would it matter to you if a cache owner were to find out that you had put their cache on ignore?

I'm not the OP, but I find the question interesting. In my almost four years of caching, I have been fortunate to meet a lot of great people. More importantly, I have been fortunate to have never had a bad encounter with another Geocacher. In general, I tend to take a non-confrontational attitude towards life. If I did have a major problem with another local cacher, my response would be to ignore their caches. The last thing that I would want is to have Groundspeak send that person an email that basically said, "Hey Butt Head, Don_J is ignoring your stupid cache". In other words, why throw fuel on the fire?

Now, on the other hand, I wouldn't mind if under the "11 people are watching your cache", it told me that 15 are ignoring it. If the numbers were lopsided as such, it would indicate that the locals did not enjoy my hide.