Oregon mSD Capacity?

What is the largest size card you can use, or that it recognizes?

What are people's average card size?

And...Loading ALL of the street maps and part of the US topo, understand you can't really put it all on the card, what size card is recommended?

I have the Oregon 300 to fill the picture out.

I use a 2Gb in my OR 300. I have a good chunk of City Navigator NT on the internal memory (I believe that the whole of the USA + Canada plus routing info is about a 1Gb?) , and as much of Topo 2008 on the card (whole of USA is about 3Gb?), plus the new 24K free Topo of North Carolina . I also have a chunk of the CN NT UK for emergency travel. I can do a better breakdown later on.

Edited by Maingray

I have an 8GB SDHC Class-4 microSD card in my Oregon 400t. I store a few maps on there, plus lots of GPS data, and other info. I think I am using less than 2GB total space on the card, but it is much faster to access than the non-HC 2GB cards I have.

Interesting, I've never heard that the speed of the card matters much. Where do you see the performance improvement, map redraws?

Interesting, I've never heard that the speed of the card matters much. Where do you see the performance improvement, map redraws?

I notice it at startup time loading caches from the SD card, but most I see it in transferring GPX files (and other data) to the card from the PC.

Oddly enough, I have heard that people tend to have more problems with class-4 SDHC cards than with class-2 or class-6 but this Kingston class-4 card has been working great for me since I got this GPSr at the first of the year.