What about those silly laminated sig cards left in caches by finders?

WHO-DEY

What I find curious is the enormous popularity of the "water color" look...

Very humorously written :) But question - even the laminated ones?

The ones I encounter here are never laminated.

I haven't seen too many laminated ones. If they are clean and water proof enough to stay that way, I don't have a particular problem with them. They wouldn't particularily grab my interest as a sig item, but to each their own.

Non-laminated cards, while well intentioned, usually end up looking like trash unless traded for soon after being placed in the cache. Given the number of yucky, messy cards found in caches, there don't seem to be too many folks collecting these items. If they were as highly sought after as some here suggest, the problem wouldn't exist.

OK, I am knowingly entering this topic expecting some responders to be those who leave them. Pelase do not be mad or offended. I am just wondering if I am alone in my dislike of these little laminated space-taker-uppers.

OK. You open up a cache and inside...a dozen or two of those laminated business card size signature cards from people who found the cache. They may or, usually, may not sign the log. Just open, plop it in, and go. I never look at them anymore. They are all over. Does anyone else look at them? Are they from lazy Cachers? Does anyone else get annoyed by seeing so many in the log book bacg, or just all over? I mean really? people can totally do whatever they want...but do the people that leave thse realize that, perhaps, nobody EVER looks at them? That they just sit tehre on the bottom of the container....

My fellow cahcer and I were talking about this on Saturday when we were out caching. We are like minded...so I though maybe there were more like us. OR, MATBE I AM WAY OFF BASE, AND WRONG....it has happened before. Once. :P:)

I assume you are trying to be antagonist using words like "silly" and "lazy"? Why would you get "tired" of them? Just ignore them if you don't like them.

If you are suggesting that some people don't write logs because they leave cards then that is an entirely different issue and is the opposite to my experience.

P.S. My son likes looking at them and enjoys collecting them.

Eureka! - I just came up with my own personal sig item!!

I'm gonna start dropping in the leftovers from the 500 new business cards from my ex-employer that I received about 2 weeks before getting laid off after 19 years of faithful service, in a "sure,-you-saved-us-4-million-dollars-last-quarter,-but-what-have-you-done-for-us-lately" downsizing stratagem.

Would everyone please just remember to hate them, & not me?

(They deserve all the mold & slime the cards can collect, far's I'm concerned.)

:)

~*

Hi all just a note, and I know I have mentioned it before but, If you ever find one of these

voucher.jpg

it is not a sig card as such. Post it back to me and I'll gift you a membership. There are 3 out there.

I am looking for some one in the U.S. who will place 1 or 2 for me, so let me know via PM. Initially near the Seattle area but later on to move around the country. It would be cool to get it into every state including Alaska and Hawaii.

thanks

Edited by tttedzeins

Eureka! - I just came up with my own personal sig item!!

I'm gonna start dropping in the leftovers from the 500 new business cards from my ex-employer that I received about 2 weeks before getting laid off after 19 years of faithful service, in a "sure,-you-saved-us-4-million-dollars-last-quarter,-but-what-have-you-done-for-us-lately" downsizing stratagem.

Would everyone please just remember to hate them, & not me?

(They deserve all the mold & slime the cards can collect, far's I'm concerned.)

:ph34r:

~*

Sounds great...Just get one of those big bold "VOID" stamps to put across the face(and maybe a sadface stamp too), and sign the back with your Caching name. Sorry to hear the bad news.

I personally cannot afford to go out and have custom coins minted just for me to give away in cache boxes. I really cannot afford generic coins to just give away since. So as an inexpensive option I chose to make some simple aka silly, sig. cards to place in caches. I think they are neat and show a little bit of personality over just scribbling a name on a log and moving on. To me it shows at least a little more dedication to geocaching since the person took the time and expense to make the cards. I do think that the log should be signed as well and the cards do not equal swag as far as trading purposes. It is just an extra colorful personal "I was here" token for others to look at and/or collect. I have only be caching a couple weeks so my experience is very limited but so far that is my take on the subject. Until I am in a position to be able to afford nicer sig. items I will make my silly cards and place them in every cache that has enough room. I visit MI every so often so perhaps some day you will even skip over one of my cards.

Sig items need not be expensive. Some of the best I have seen were probably less expensive than cards, although I'm sure they took more time and effort.

A favorite of mine is from a cacher called "Forrest Nymph", who leaves hand painted acorns. Another local cacher glues sea glass or interesting rocks to small craft magnets. I used to make my own hand made wood burned wooden nickels. A bag of plain wooden "rounds" only costs a couple of bucks. Admittedly, I don't make them as often as I used to, as it was very time consuming, but I think I'm going to start doing it again, and only leave them in caches we especially like.

I'd rather find a nice handmade sig item once in a blue moon, than to find a card in every cache. Yes, some cards are nicer than others, but if it's crumpled, damp and the colors have all run together, it has become garbage.

Go find some rocks or sticks and paint them. I'd grab those up in a heartbeat. Handmade items trump all others IMHO. :ph34r:

Edited by team moxiepup

Sig items need not be expensive. Some of the best I have seen were probably less expensive than cards, although I'm sure they took more time and effort.

A favorite of mine is from a cacher call "Forrest Nymph", who leaves hand painted acorns. Another local cacher glues sea glass or interesting rocks to small craft magnets. I used to make my own hand made wood burned wooden nickels. A bag of plain wooden "rounds" only costs a couple of bucks. Admittedly, I don't make them as often as I used to, as it was very time consuming, but I think I'm going to start doing it again, and only leave them in caches we especially like.

I'd rather find a nice handmade sig item once in a blue moon, than to find a card in every cache. Yes, some cards are nicer than others, but if it's crumpled, damp and the colors have all run together, it has become garbage.

Go find some rocks or sticks and paint them. I'd grab those up in a heartbeat. Handmade items trump all others IMHO. :ph34r:

Good point and ideas. Like I said, I am VERY new to all this so the more I read and see the more ideas I will have and eventually implement. I am not the most creative person out there so it may take me a while but someday the light will go off and I'll come up with a creative sig. item that is not a card or coin.

I do trade for these and here is mine that I leave.

Sigitem.jpg

The token is a old transportation token.

That is pretty cool. That's one of the hundreds of sig items that I've seen that would actually consider picking up to collect. Poker chips and wooden nickles, while fine for some, just don't do it for me.

We were leaving plastic rats for a while, but there wasn't anything on them that really identified it as "our" sig item. ...and we ran out of plastic rats.

my sig is usually a cd or dvd. maybe not strictly handmade, but the music or photos on them are my own. i sign and date them.

i'd like to second the thing about the handpainted rocks. anything handmade is very attractive to many of us.

origami, painted rocks, sticks, acorns (i've seen some of those); they're all cheap and much sought-after.

not-so-cheap: friends of mine make buttons, but all of their buttons are made with their cache photos. very collectible.

as for the "severance business card", that's a winner.

That's a nice one.

How do you make that little compartment for the token?

I use a hole punch for scrap booking. The hole punch cost me about $10. I make the hole then when I laminate the cards I place the token in the hole. I have a laminating machine at home. I purchase the pouches on ebay and the tokens at a local coin shop.

That's a nice one.

How do you make that little compartment for the token?

I use a hole punch for scrap booking. The hole punch cost me about $10. I make the hole then when I laminate the cards I place the token in the hole. I have a laminating machine at home. I purchase the pouches on ebay and the tokens at a local coin shop.

that is an exceptioanlly fine sig.

Thanks for the instruction. That is one sig item I'd be happy to find in a cache. Only one problem - I may not have something that I feel is equivalent or better for trade :D

In preparation for going out there again, I just found myself preparing several new pairs of CacherGloves.

They are ordinary leather palm gardening or working gloves. I find them for a few bucks at every dollar store. A children "stamp set" allows me to customize them. Every determined caching noob, who had his/her hands torn by unexpected bushwhacking, will appreciate them for the rest of the day (probably much longer).

I never intended to leave a pair in each and every cache I visit. Just the ones I really think worth it. I hate unmaintained pill bottles thrown into the bushes.

In that sense, maybe some folks should reconsider. Is it really that you want your "signature item" to be so cheap, that you may leave your "signature" just everywhere your visited? What exactly is the value in that? Is it really that you "sign off" on each and every cache you visited? Do you "owe" that to each and every "cache owner" for just throwing something in the bushes?

Don't get me wrong. I am very, very grateful for those, who have taken the time to lead me to precious places, I would have probably never seen in my life without them. Then again, I will never bother to "log" a DNF just because GZ was nothing but a place from which you can overlook a busy gas station. That sort of cache doesn't deserve my time to find it, it doesn't deserve my time to log it and it certainly doesn't deserve any trace of myself ever having been near it.

Jan

Being that I'm a graphic designer and love photography making signature cards was inevitable. :D I do not toss them in caches in the place of signing a log, nor do I trade swag for them. In fact most of my sig cards highlight other caches that I really enjoyed. On the back I give the cache number and name.

sigcardexample600.jpg

In the end I do it for my own enjoyment. I love photography, caching, and design.

It matters little to me if they end up in the trash or someones collection, I had fun making them.

The only problem I have had with sig cards is when I open a log book and a dozen or so fall to the ground. That I find annoying.

On one of my old caches, I went out and bought a small notebook that had one of those see through pockets for people to drop their cards in. It worked great! The cards did not fall out, they were contained in one area and kept clean. An all around win win situation.

Kolendath - your cards would make me want to seek out those caches just for the scenery! Very neat idea!

Edited by AstroD-Team

I'm just grateful they didn't leave soap bubbles. Beyond that, I couldn't possibly care less about it.

I hear ya on the soap bubbles. I had that in one of my caches once. That was a big mess. Having hid a few caches myself, I would say that the cards have their pros and cons. Pros - you can see a bit of personality of who's been at the cache. Con- The paper ones usually get dirty/wet faster, which means they leave a mess in the bottom of the container. I'm fine with laminated ones or other clever ones like wooden nickels or poker chips.

Here's mine. I just finished a few of these (working on more). Your looking at a plexi glass round about 2" in Dia. One side has Red and the other side has Jada. They are a major part of our geocahing team. Let me know you think.

RedJadaPathTag.jpg

Is that picture protected from the elements? If the ink runs when it gets moist in the cache then it will become trash.

Here's mine. I just finished a few of these (working on more). Your looking at a plexi glass round about 2" in Dia. One side has Red and the other side has Jada. They are a major part of our geocahing team. Let me know you think.

RedJadaPathTag.jpg

Is that picture protected from the elements? If the ink runs when it gets moist in the cache then it will become trash.

Yes, protected very well by three coats of a clear epoxy. They are almost bullet proof. :):blink::blink:

RedJadaPathTag.jpg

Yes, protected very well by three coats of a clear epoxy. They are almost bullet proof. :):blink::blink:

Super, I would take one.

Sorry if the post seemed rude. I have had a few drinks already and I get a bit harsh. Those are great trades.

OK, I am knowingly entering this topic expecting some responders to be those who leave them. Pelase do not be mad or offended. I am just wondering if I am alone in my dislike of these little laminated space-taker-uppers.

OK. You open up a cache and inside...a dozen or two of those laminated business card size signature cards from people who found the cache. They may or, usually, may not sign the log. Just open, plop it in, and go. I never look at them anymore. They are all over. Does anyone else look at them? Are they from lazy Cachers? Does anyone else get annoyed by seeing so many in the log book bacg, or just all over? I mean really? people can totally do whatever they want...but do the people that leave thse realize that, perhaps, nobody EVER looks at them? That they just sit tehre on the bottom of the container....

My fellow cahcer and I were talking about this on Saturday when we were out caching. We are like minded...so I though maybe there were more like us. OR, MATBE I AM WAY OFF BASE, AND WRONG....it has happened before. Once. :blink::)

We make the cards and leave them, also we enjoy reading the cards that are in a cache. I notice you are from Michigan (Zeeland) we are from Michigan also (McBain). Recently we cached alot in Missouri and Texas where we found very few of these kind of cards. So maybe it is a regional kind of thing.

They may or, usually, may not sign the log. Just open, plop it in, and go.

If they dont sign the logbook in the cache then delete their log entry on your cache page. That's what I plan on doing with my cache next time I run maintenance on it.

I made my path tags just for some extra swag to drop in. I think signing the log book is a big part of the game. We will always be signing.

RedJadaPathTag.jpg

:blink: LOVE 'em! I would LOVE to find these in a cache! Can you drop a few in So FL?? :)

Red, in particular, looks like he's really sniffing out the cache for you!

Back to OT, I already said I like the laminated cards. Well, I think I would, I haven't seen any down here. I haven't seen ANYthing down here.

Does anyone else get annoyed by seeing so many in the log book bacg, or just all over? I mean really? people can totally do whatever they want...but do the people that leave thse realize that, perhaps, nobody EVER looks at them? That they just sit tehre on the bottom of the container....

The cards don't bother me -- I don't collect them, but sometimes I look at them. The only thing I dislike about them is when people leave them tucked in the logbook (but not attached with tape or a staple or something) -- so that as soon as you open the book, they flutter out to the ground, and you have to chase them before the wind takes them away or they get wet or muddy on the ground.

But just now a thought occurred to me that is a way for you to channel your irritation into something constructive. It's not just a way to be able to ignore the cards; it might actually make you look forward to finding a random pile of them in a cache:

Make a signature item of your own, which is a brightly-colored ziplock bag with a sticker on it that says something like "SIG CARD BAG -- Courtesy of WHO-DEY. Happy Caching!" Gather up all the loose and messy cards you find in a cache, put them into one of those baggies, and leave it in the cache.

You could be like the Johnny Appleseed of cache-decluttering.

Does anyone else get annoyed by seeing so many in the log book bacg, or just all over? I mean really? people can totally do whatever they want...but do the people that leave thse realize that, perhaps, nobody EVER looks at them? That they just sit tehre on the bottom of the container....

The cards don't bother me -- I don't collect them, but sometimes I look at them. The only thing I dislike about them is when people leave them tucked in the logbook (but not attached with tape or a staple or something) -- so that as soon as you open the book, they flutter out to the ground, and you have to chase them before the wind takes them away or they get wet or muddy on the ground.

But just now a thought occurred to me that is a way for you to channel your irritation into something constructive. It's not just a way to be able to ignore the cards; it might actually make you look forward to finding a random pile of them in a cache:

Make a signature item of your own, which is a brightly-colored ziplock bag with a sticker on it that says something like "SIG CARD BAG -- Courtesy of WHO-DEY. Happy Caching!" Gather up all the loose and messy cards you find in a cache, put them into one of those baggies, and leave it in the cache.

That's the way ya do it!

LEMONS---------->Lemonade!

Bluegirl and I have had Trading Cards made in the theme of TOPPS Baseball Trading cards

GeoLobo

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/g..._both_Sides.jpg

Bluegirl

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/b..._both_Sides.jpg

I am also considering on making some new cards - with the Blue Line geocachers Logo on the front and some Historical information about geocaching in the Adirondacks on the back. Maybe a Historical picture of some sort

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/b...achers_logo.jpg

Bluegirl and I have had Trading Cards made in the theme of TOPPS Baseball Trading cards

GeoLobo

Bluegirl

I am also considering on making some new cards - with the Blue Line geocachers Logo on the front and some Historical information about geocaching in the Adirondacks on the back. Maybe a Historical picture of some sort

i have one each of these and they are top-drawer items.

my usual prejudice against cards does not apply here. top-flight, first class, a-number-one stuff.

We don't have a lot of money either, so yes, we've used the cards in the past. I like trading for cards. I think it's fun. I have a pretty good collection going of cards I've traded with others.

We are working on some more creative and cost-efficient sig items, but we are going to use the rest of the cards we have rather than throw them away.

I've never thought of myself as lazy... :laughing:

-Rozie

I really love this idea. I'm so glad you posted it! We want to try it now. Another idea that I love, there's a guy in Colorado who makes "CITO kits" He puts a trash bag into a film can and puts his sig on the film can, and leaves them in caches.

-Rozie

Edited by nymphnsatyr

I started my caching in Michigan and know those signature cards well...and honestly don't think they take up much space. I also know alot of cachers in Michigan who use them and I have never known one to use it as a trade item, unless they are taking another card...only as an added bonus to those who collect them. My signature cards from Michigan are actually among my prized geocaching collection since I can't get them here in Delaware. It is regional too I think...I have not seen any in Delaware or the Eastern Shore of Maryland at all...with the odd exception of the Michigan cachers who have visited..and of course I got those cards too :laughing: And yes I replaced them with something cool so I could continue my Michigan Signature Card collection.

Thanks for the compliment Flask!

Hope your doing well

Shane & Doree

GeoLobo

Bluegirl

i have one each of these and they are top-drawer items.

my usual prejudice against cards does not apply here. top-flight, first class, a-number-one stuff.

My cards were clear coated twice to ensure they lasted through time... and they did very well. In very wet locations one or two may have taken a hit and I was more than happy to give the collector one fresh off the printer when they found one in even slightly damaged condition. The first two here were my first calling cards I left behind. The third one is my latest creation and is customized to the hikes I go out on. Each hiker that joins me on the Hike of the Month gains one, and each cache gains one.

My take on this whole thing is if they are in poor shape, remove them. Otherwise you if don't like them, leave them for somebody else.

TotemLake.jpg

TLnSnickersSignatureCardlores.jpg

sigitembuscard.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

Sigitem.jpg

The token is a old transportation token.

That is a cool looking card

Drop pens in the caches the pens have my turtle on em and my caching and georging names I make sure to say I dropped it in the notes and encourage others to take it. Over the years I find I like the feel and how these pens work so wn=hen I made a siggy item this was a natural. I think one order of pens lasts a year. I keep looking for shorter pens for the decon caches out there.

CypressPointCache.jpg

above you can see one of my pens.

My fellow cahcer and I were talking about this on Saturday when we were out caching. We are like minded...so I though maybe there were more like us. OR, MATBE I AM WAY OFF BASE, AND WRONG....it has happened before. Once. :D :D

You are not alone. I'm sure the owners are very proud of their handiwork though. I'm not that easily impressed. I hate sifting through them looking for pathtags or something else of interest.

RedJadaPathTag.jpg

I have a Golden Retreiver and love dogs. However, your dog means nothing to me. Sorry.

I always wonder about people that spend a ton on geocoins honoring their dead pets too. I'm sure they loved them but I think it's a bit presumptious to think that anyone else gives a hoot.

RedJadaPathTag.jpg

I have a Golden Retreiver and love dogs. However, your dog means nothing to me. Sorry.

I always wonder about people that spend a ton on geocoins honoring their dead pets too. I'm sure they loved them but I think it's a bit presumptious to think that anyone else gives a hoot.

Like seeing pictures of pets online, I love seeing pets on trading items, geocoins, and pathtags! Especially when it is a companion that goes with the geocachers on their trips.

Honoring a pet who has passed on by putting their image on a coin or TB is pretty cool. I've seen a lot creepier things on travel bugs than a picture of dead pet.

If you do not like it, then just leave the traveler alone. Many pet lovers/geocachers love them and they hurt nothing and nobody. I think no one cares when people say they don't care about something a geocacher does, because that seems presumptuous. :D

I also have dogs and love dogs. I love seeing pictures of others dogs, and can easily understand someone making a geocoin to honor a pet they have lost.

What I think is a little bit presumptious, is for you to think, just because you don't give a hoot no one else will. From reading these forums, and talking with other cachers, there are a lot of people that care about others pets. :D

I love signature items and collect wooden nickels and cards with geologo on them but not if they say "Thanks for the cache" (because I assume those are meant for the hider). I have my own wooden nickel that I paid quite a bit of money for and which have my interests, first name, and a nice moose on them. I hope people enjoy getting them.

Frances (bigdogsrule). And I Love dogs. I'll take a dog coin any day and pass it along. They are family too.

That's the way ya do it!

LEMONS---------->Lemonade!

I like this idea! Personally I don't mind the cards, but I can see where it is a nice service to provide for the caching community. That way they'll be out of the way of those that don't care for them and easy to find for those that do like them. Ideas like this are a big part of why it's fun to hang around the Forums. It's always interesting to see what we can learn from each other. Happy caching everybody!!!! [:unsure:]

I really dislike them. We're lucky though...they haven't been a big thing in our area. When we go other places, we've come across quite a few in caches. They ALWAYS end up falling on the ground. I pick them up and stick them in the bag with the log book. And what if someone likes your card and they take it...and you haven't signed the log book. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...no signature for the log book. I think everyone with the cards should have a Tot stapler and staple them to a page in the log book! :unsure:

Our newest cards

2009 - Blue Line Geocachers (GeoLobo & BlueGirl)

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/b...radingcards.jpg

if you haven't see the 2008 version

2008 - GeoLobo

2008 - BlueGirl

The 2nd and 3rd links didn't work for me, but the first one did. Cool card! I would take one if I saw one. Looks like you have some help sniffing out those caches. LOL!

Our newest cards

2009 - Blue Line Geocachers (GeoLobo & BlueGirl)

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/b...radingcards.jpg

if you haven't see the 2008 version

2008 - GeoLobo

2008 - BlueGirl

The 2nd and 3rd links didn't work for me, but the first one did. Cool card! I would take one if I saw one. Looks like you have some help sniffing out those caches. LOL!

Sorry