What about those silly laminated sig cards left in caches by finders?

WHO-DEY

OK, I am knowingly entering this topic expecting some responders to be those who leave them. Pelase do not be mad or offended. I am just wondering if I am alone in my dislike of these little laminated space-taker-uppers.

OK. You open up a cache and inside...a dozen or two of those laminated business card size signature cards from people who found the cache. They may or, usually, may not sign the log. Just open, plop it in, and go. I never look at them anymore. They are all over. Does anyone else look at them? Are they from lazy Cachers? Does anyone else get annoyed by seeing so many in the log book bacg, or just all over? I mean really? people can totally do whatever they want...but do the people that leave thse realize that, perhaps, nobody EVER looks at them? That they just sit tehre on the bottom of the container....

My fellow cahcer and I were talking about this on Saturday when we were out caching. We are like minded...so I though maybe there were more like us. OR, MATBE I AM WAY OFF BASE, AND WRONG....it has happened before. Once. :lol::rolleyes:

Like any trade item, take it or leave it. A lot of people collect them. They take some work and expense, so I don't think it's about being lazy.

You may be right. I do not mean to say that anyone is really lazy, but a guy who has placed some caches with his son...one of the fun things as an owner, is to look at the comments in the log book. Not the cards. Maybe I am on an island on this one. Really, once i figured out what they were, after i first started cahcing, I do not even look at them, nor does my son, nor does anyone I am with. :rolleyes:

My son and I are new to this but we look at everything in a cache, and sign every log, fix every bag thats torn, repair when needed (carry a backpack full of stuff) and then come home and log into and log every cache we find on Geocache. I have not seen any laminated signature cards or such, but hey If they left it Ill look at it, I am in no rush, that half the fun is taking your time and just enjoying the walk, and time with my son. He looks at everything as "treasure" no matter what it is. LOL..

Be well and good hunting..

Like any trade item, take it or leave it. A lot of people collect them. They take some work and expense, so I don't think it's about being lazy.

You may be right. I do not mean to say that anyone is really lazy, but a guy who has placed some caches with his son...one of the fun things as an owner, is to look at the comments in the log book. Not the cards. Maybe I am on an island on this one. Really, once i figured out what they were, after i first started cahcing, I do not even look at them, nor does my son, nor does anyone I am with. :rolleyes:

Many people like sig items, and I'm one. The laminated business card is not a favorite of mine. I've seen and have in my collection many unique and niffy items. My collection of wooden nickels is increasing. Yes I leave one, a monopoly money with my avatar on the back with a "jholly was here". I always sign the log book, although I must admit I don't put much verbiage in the logbook, I save that for the online version. I find it interesting that folks might not recognize my name when we first meet, but they remember the sig item.

Jim

I collect signature items, so I love them. They actually take a bit to make, and have something of the personality of the cacher on them, which is special. I appreciate the time and consideration that goes into making these.

Actually, I almost never see these (or other sig items) in caches anymore. :rolleyes:

I don't think that it's very common for someone to leave these but not sign the log. I've usually seen them leave this and sign the log at the same time, so it wouldn't be laziness.

I do agree that it could be frustrating if someone left a dozen or so of their cards at once, instead of just one or two. Perhaps they wanted to make sure that there would be plenty to go around for people like me who like to collect them. :lol::lol:

My son and I are new to this but we look at everything in a cache, and sign every log, fix every bag thats torn, repair when needed (carry a backpack full of stuff) and then come home and log into and log every cache we find on Geocache. I have not seen any laminated signature cards or such, but hey If they left it Ill look at it, I am in no rush, that half the fun is taking your time and just enjoying the walk, and time with my son. He looks at everything as "treasure" no matter what it is. LOL..

OK, now I just feel bad. :rolleyes: No, that is what My son and I do. We are in zero hurry. Maybe it is a regional thing. I should say that here in Michigan, they are increasingly common. As I go with my son95% of the time, I ma always trading SWAG for kids, some for adults, but SWAG none the less. And we always SLT, and look through it when we are about to sign it.

And my son calls them "treasures" too!

Many people like sig items, and I'm one. The laminated business card is not a favorite of mine. I've seen and have in my collection many unique and niffy items. My collection of wooden nickels is increasing. Yes I leave one, a monopoly money with my avatar on the back with a "jholly was here". I always sign the log book, although I must admit I don't put much verbiage in the logbook, I save that for the online version. I find it interesting that folks might not recognize my name when we first meet, but they remember the sig item.

Jim

I have seen a few of those wooden nickels around here...I like those. my son does too.

...one of the fun things as an owner, is to look at the comments in the log book...

Most of the time, I've noticed that cachers don't tend to write in the log book. Just scribble a signature, and off to the next one. I'll admit that I do it, too, but I've been known to use a full page (and more) on a nice cache. Even the nice multi I found today was full of one-line logs.

Actually, a cache I found today had a few sig cards in it. I did peruse them, and even noticed a couple things about one local cacher that I hadn't known, had the information not been on the sig card.

Laminated??!!!!??

That would be a step up from most of the ones I have seen.

I like to collect various folks signiture items (even cards) but once I get one, I don't need another. For the most part they sift to the bottom of the cache and collect the dirt found there. I clean them out once in a while during maintenance runs. But they don't bother me much.

OK, I am knowingly entering this topic expecting some responders to be those who leave them. Pelase do not be mad or offended. I am just wondering if I am alone in my dislike of these little laminated space-taker-uppers.

OK. You open up a cache and inside...a dozen or two of those laminated business card size signature cards from people who found the cache. They may or, usually, may not sign the log. Just open, plop it in, and go. I never look at them anymore. They are all over. Does anyone else look at them? Are they from lazy Cachers? Does anyone else get annoyed by seeing so many in the log book bacg, or just all over? I mean really? people can totally do whatever they want...but do the people that leave thse realize that, perhaps, nobody EVER looks at them? That they just sit tehre on the bottom of the container....

My fellow cahcer and I were talking about this on Saturday when we were out caching. We are like minded...so I though maybe there were more like us. OR, MATBE I AM WAY OFF BASE, AND WRONG....it has happened before. Once. :lol::rolleyes:

I have my "business cards" that have all my geocaching info and a link to my geocaching forums on it... BUT,,, I hardly ever leave one in a cache and especially if there are ton of sig cards already in the cache.

Also, personally, I don't care if the one card I do leave is CITO'd by the next cacher.

I also sign the log no matter if I leave a card or not.

I don't look at the cards being anymore silly than a personal wooden nickels, personal "rocks", personal poker chips and etc..

I love them! You see, they are almost ALWAYS covered with the fingerprints of the person who placed the cards, along with traces of their skin cells and their DNA. I take these cards, and, using sophisticated techniques in my lab, I find and remove the traces of DNA and skin cells, and also procure high-quality images of the fingerprints. I then deposit the "evidence" onto grade 3B or better transfer tape. Then, next time I perform a high-tech robbery of a supposedly impregnable bank vault filled with cash or diamonds, I use the transfer tape to leave behind "forensic evidence" pointing to the, ahem, "evildoers". It works like a charm! It not only points investigators in a direction totally away from me and my team, but it also gets rid of the people who leave these silly cards inside geocaches! Actually, if I do say so myself, it is quite ingenious!

So, I, for one, would like to see people continue to leave their cards in geocaches!

This is me to a "T". I've only seen a handfull of cards in caches, mostly in AZ. But I'm looking at a pathtag for a personal sig item. It fun to know whose crossed the same paths. I've never seen a great log entry yet in the cache log but once I get to the GEOCACHE page I'll really look into and recall my expirence with the cache.

<snip>

I love them! You see, they are almost ALWAYS covered with the fingerprints of the person who placed the cards, along with traces of their skin cells and their DNA. I take these cards, and, using sophisticated techniques in my lab, I find and remove the traces of DNA and skin cells, and also procure high-quality images of the fingerprints. I then deposit the "evidence" onto grade 3B or better transfer tape. Then, next time I perform a high-tech robbery of a supposedly impregnable bank vault filled with cash or diamonds, I use the transfer tape to leave behind "forensic evidence" pointing to the, ahem, "evildoers". It works like a charm! It not only points investigators in a direction totally away from me and my team, but it also gets rid of the people who leave these silly cards inside geocaches! Actually, if I do say so myself, it is quite ingenious!

So, I, for one, would like to see people continue to leave their cards in geocaches!

And then he wonders why I never log any of his caches? I've found them all, but I will not log them as a matter of principle. Because I'm very fond of my signature cards, when I have the cash to buy laminating materials...

Which reminds me, the last time you did a high-tech robbery, Vinny, I never got my share of the loot. Pay up!

... I am just wondering if I am alone in my dislike of these little laminated space-taker-uppers. ...

Nope. You are not alone in your dislike. Nor are folks like me who like them and actually collect them.

If they are ruined go ahead and pull them to make space. If they are in good shape...best to leave them to the pro's.

The one thing that some finders don't get is that they can have one for everyone but that numbers less than every cache they find. There are extras out there.

They may or, usually, may not sign the log. Just open, plop it in, and go. I never look at them anymore. They are all over. Does anyone else look at them? Are they from lazy Cachers?

I don't live in your area, and don't know how the locals do it there. However, it seems you may be making some assumptions here. While I have heard of some who will leave signature cards and not sign the log, in my experience the vast majority do sign the log as well.

I do not use my signature card as a trade item for anything but another signature card. If there is anything else in the cache, a normal trade of an equal or greater item is still the rule. (although I rarely trade out for swag. Usually just sign the log and check for any signature items.) Many times I have actually added swag to caches that were getting low.

I am quite bothered when people assume anyone who does things different, must be "lazy cachers". I put a lot of work into designing, printing and laminating my card. I always sign the log in a cache, and most of my hides have been well stocked ammo cans. To wonder if I am a lazy cacher, just because you don't like the part of this game that some of us do is a little rude.

As an added note, for those that may leave a signature item and not sign the log. This really isn't a good idea. The guidelines do require a signature on the log. Also, signature items are collected, and if you leave one and don't sign, the cache won't have a record of your visit after a collector removes it. :rolleyes:

I love them! You see, they are almost ALWAYS covered with the fingerprints of the person who placed the cards, along with traces of their skin cells and their DNA...

Every time I read one of Vinny's posts, I'm reminded of one of the slogans I've seen : "Geocaching - Same Planet, Different World"

I'm surprised Vinny didn't suggest cloning the owner of the card from the skin cells. Oh, wait, I'm not supposed to talk about that, am I?

Back on topic, I think sig cards are OK, some show a lot of work being put into the design. Not signing the log and just dropping a card, however, does not sound like the right thing to do.

As for writing about my experience in the logbook, I almost never do that - I save it for the online log as well.

Vinny, you should know better. When performing a high-tech robbery of a supposedly impregnable bank vault filled with cash or diamonds, always use an occult hand from above to crack the vault and retrieve the loot. Being occult these hands leave no fingerprints or other physical evidence. Besides LEOs investigating the heist would no more be able to detect the real criminal who uses an occult hand than they could tell the difference between a geocache and a terrorist's bomb. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on this one, and yes, in our area as well, they are getting increasingly common. Some cachers even have them in regular, small, and micro varieties. And as you point out, some cachers use them as their signature rather than signing the log, so removing one would constitute removing the proof that they had found the cache.

They often fall on the ground when you remove the log, they blow around in the breeze and if I'm not careful, can become litter.

These are my feelings, obviously not everyone's.

I like finding anything in a cache that ain't mushy or moldy, these days....ever-increasingly rare around these parts! As well expressed above, some folks leave 'em - some folks collect 'em....why deny either their pleasure?!

I don't think they should be considered a trade item, per se....it's as titled, a 'signature item'...a representation you've been to that cache. I even tend to think of 'em as a token left for the cache owner; and secondarily, anyone else who does want 'em.

Which, incidentally, I do NOT consider the dropping of a 'sig item' as qualifying, technically, as a signature in the cache log, which I believe is a Guidelined requirement.

"Easy Steps to Geocaching

#7 - Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location. "

(not the best example, but there it is)

And finally if ya don't like 'em, nothing says you have to look thru 'em! (& I'm fairly sure there aren't so many as to block the gold nuggets!)

:rolleyes:

~*

I've never seen one laminated. I don't see any problem with business cards. Should they sign the logbook also, yes. I don't put too much effort into the logbooks because a cache can go missing or the log get soaked or many other things. I put my effort into online logs. They'll last forever and instantly let the owner know what you thought. Personal sig items are a great way to express yourself and add swag to a cache. I'm looking into purchasing some wooden nickles for this purpose.

I'm sorta a new cacher (Found my first cache 2 years ago but I was with someone else and didn't pick it up again until like last weekish), and I was wondering - does anyone trade MOO cards in caches? Seems like this would be a fun crossover TI, as they are generally collectable.

Think i might start a cache with a set of MOOs in to trade, sounds fun!

(for those curious, http://moo.com)

Thanks!

-Amianda

aka Kelly

Hi!

So far it seems like everyone just has their own taste on what's fun in caching. Including in my own household. I just like to sign the log for the most part and hubby looks through all the swag (he's a big kid) and also likes to see what other people write in the log. I'm in no particular hurry, I'm just not interested in that so much.

I've only recently heard of personal signature items, maybe we don't get a lot of them here in FL, but I think it's a cool idea. There's another thread with all sorts of ideas including a laminated card. I liked the cards I saw because they were pretty interesting and definitely personalized to the cacher. I'm afraid to start making my own items, though, because if no one around here is collecting them, it may be a big, fat waste of time and money. Plus, I'd want to start collecting, but if there's nothing to collect...

What I haven't been crazy about is when someone just slips their personal business card into the cache. It's just not a favorite thing for me to look at. But, like I said, there's people like my husband. He looks at everything!

Happy caching!! And when you're in So FL, drop off your signature items. I wanna see - and collect!

I need to correct something, I think.. they are the SIZE of business cards. they are not actual business cards...they are printouts, rectangular in shape..maybe you all knew that. :rolleyes:

one thing I do want to say...there have been ALL courteous, nice, respectful responses. Well done. That is why I like this hobby and this forum. :lol:

How about the homemade cardboard poker chip sig item with the person's name written around it in marker ?

OK, now I just feel bad. :rolleyes: No, that is what My son and I do. We are in zero hurry. Maybe it is a regional thing. I should say that here in Michigan, they are increasingly common. As I go with my son95% of the time, I ma always trading SWAG for kids, some for adults, but SWAG none the less. And we always SLT, and look through it when we are about to sign it.

here in michigan i collect those cards. :lol:

Im working on my own right now. I have seen some good ones out there. I'm making mine out of 2" Dia. plexi glass rounds about .12" thick. We have two Golden retrievers, Red & Jada, hince, our user name. One side of the coin will have a photo of Jada with her name and Red w/ name and www. geocaching.com on the other side. I will be using a clear epoxy to seal it all together. I will post a photo of one here in a couple days.

Edited by redjada

Mine is a laminated card that contains a Transportation Token. They cost me around $0.50 or more a piece. Many of these tokens are collectible and well worth it for someone to take.

I get many emails about my cards. They are always good. I like to collect sig items also. One of my other sig items is a DVD of me and my kids hitting caches. I also don't care much for the paper sig cards that are most likely wet when I get to the cache.

I know a number of people including myself that will collect any kind of sig items. They actually make an interesting collection when combined with other types of items.

Unlaminated paper items of any kind (sig items included) are not a good idea as they often become trash. I'm not a fan of regular business cards that dont include a way to connect the card to a specific cacher. That verges on junk in my mind.

Jim

and then people like me come along and see the dreaded jholly monopoly money and know that we didn't get an FTF! :):D

Personally, I love to see the personalized items. It's really neat to see the different things that people do.

Wow, I'm so glad that you don't like them...That explains how I can hit the jackpot when I find a handful that have been sitting in a Cache for many months/years!! I add them to my collection of sigitems, and leave a few of my own. Mine can win you prizes though!! I don't think most of them are due to laziness, since many people who leave them have put a great deal of work into making/designing them. When I get into a phase of making more, I can easily spend over 20 hours in a week doing all the steps(3-4 hours each day)

I do agree that it could be frustrating if someone left a dozen or so of their cards at once, instead of just one or two. Perhaps they wanted to make sure that there would be plenty to go around for people like me who like to collect them. :D:)

I often leave from 6-12 of my Gamecards, but that's because each one is part of varoius games(Card Matching, Raffle, and Bingo) where you can win prizes, so I like to make sure that several of the next finders will have a chance to play.

I often leave from 6-12 of my Gamecards, but that's because each one is part of varoius games(Card Matching, Raffle, and Bingo) where you can win prizes, so I like to make sure that several of the next finders will have a chance to play.

I've seen those, and it seems like a neat idea. But, alas, I don't cache much in your area so I leave them. But thanks anyway!

Jim

We actually leave a sig item which is a "Barrel of Monkeys" piece with a heart on one side and TML on the other. I had no idea others collected them until we got a P.M. saying that they loved it and took as part of their collection.

In response a sig item in good taste is cool with me. The more original the better.

I don't think they should be considered a trade item, per se....it's as titled, a 'signature item'...a representation you've been to that cache. I even tend to think of 'em as a token left for the cache owner; and secondarily, anyone else who does want 'em.

Which, incidentally, I do NOT consider the dropping of a 'sig item' as qualifying, technically, as a signature in the cache log, which I believe is a Guidelined requirement.

:)

~*

When I use the term "Sigitem", or "Signature Item" I think of it as short for "Signature Trading Item". Not as a replacement for my actual signature. I think the first people started "Sigitems" as actual Trade items that they would leave in each Cache they found(like always leaving a bag of marbles, or always leaving a keyring), and they have evolved into more of a specialized collectible.

I've seen those, and it seems like a neat idea. But, alas, I don't cache much in your area so I leave them. But thanks anyway!

Jim

HaHa, I have no "area" now. I'm driving a Big Truck all over the US(and maybe Canada soon) so I've left them all over. The newer games do not require you to find any more than one card. Look at my profile for links to the Bingo and Raffle Games(I'm hosting them on Travel Bug listings) I've toyed with another idea, where you could just collect my special "Money" and then use it to buy things from me(TB Tags, Coins, Etc)

I'm sorta a new cacher (Found my first cache 2 years ago but I was with someone else and didn't pick it up again until like last weekish), and I was wondering - does anyone trade MOO cards in caches? Seems like this would be a fun crossover TI, as they are generally collectable.

Think i might start a cache with a set of MOOs in to trade, sounds fun!

(for those curious, http://moo.com)

Thanks!

-Amianda

aka Kelly

I made up mini moo cards as a sig item using the bird design they have on their website. I figure if someone doesn't like sig cards it may still appeal to them if they like birds/animals/nature/pretty things.

OK, now I just feel bad. :) No, that is what My son and I do. We are in zero hurry. Maybe it is a regional thing. I should say that here in Michigan, they are increasingly common. As I go with my son95% of the time, I ma always trading SWAG for kids, some for adults, but SWAG none the less. And we always SLT, and look through it when we are about to sign it.

I'm a little confused here. Are these Signature trade items, or simply calling cards dropped in the cache to save the time and trouble of actually taking out a pen and signing the log? I have seen both. While not a "dozen or two", I have opened a log book and had four or five business type calling cards fall out of it. It's never been my impression that these were intended to be trade items. Wooden nickles, engraved pens, and other such items are a completely different thing.

Edited by Don_J

OK, now I just feel bad. :) No, that is what My son and I do. We are in zero hurry. Maybe it is a regional thing. I should say that here in Michigan, they are increasingly common. As I go with my son95% of the time, I ma always trading SWAG for kids, some for adults, but SWAG none the less. And we always SLT, and look through it when we are about to sign it.

I'm a little confused here. Are these Signature trade items, or simply calling cards dropped in the cache to save the time and trouble of actually taking out a pen and signing the log? I have seen both. While not a "dozen or two", I have opened a log book and had four or five business type calling cards fall out of it. It's never been my impression that these were intended to be trade items. Wooden nickles, engraved pens, and other such items are a completely different thing.

I think they have evolved down from the other items you mention, to the Collectible Cards. I wouldn't consider then Trading items so much anymore, but I also haven't seen many people leaving them as a way to skip the logbook. I think the ones placed in the logbook are there to keep them from getting destroyed in the bottom of the box. Sometimes I place them in logbooks(or in the bag with the book) and that's MY reason. I still sign the book.

next tie I go out, likely this weekend, I will take a photo or two of some. Maybe it will help in the understanding for most that may have never seen the trend I am referring to. They are like a computer printed image(s), with the name of the cacher on a 2x3 card, laminated and left6 in the cache. No coins laminated in as UNDERTREE mentioned they do, in a previous post. Just a card. Left in the bottom of the ammo cans all over Michigan. :)

What I find curious is the enormous popularity of the "water color" look, where all the colors seem to wash together. It seems that folks who choose this design are also fans of the "distressed" look, where the paper seems be textured and torn. Sometimes this design even goes so far as to incorporate living organisms... slime molds and such. I appreciate the concept of living art, but when a concept is copied, again and again, the emotional impact of the art form is lessened.

It appears that the people who choose these designs are looking to have their sig item stand out in a crowd. While this design of card isn't typical of most cards seen outside of caching, this design type does seem to be overused in the caching community. The "distressed slime mold" prototype is seen all too frequently.

:)

What I find curious is the enormous popularity of the "water color" look, where all the colors seem to wash together. It seems that folks who choose this design are also fans of the "distressed" look, where the paper seems be textured and torn. Sometimes this design even goes so far as to incorporate living organisms... slime molds and such. I appreciate the concept of living art, but when a concept is copied, again and again, the emotional impact of the art form is lessened.

It appears that the people who choose these designs are looking to have their sig item stand out in a crowd. While this design of card isn't typical of most cards seen outside of caching, this design type does seem to be overused in the caching community. The "distressed slime mold" prototype is seen all too frequently.

:D

If they've been in a cache a while, are you sure that's a design feature and not real mold/slime? :D

I collect some interesting sig items and have a bunch of the wooden nickels, but the laminated cards I usually leave alone, unless it is a cacher I know. I created a sig item by ordering some combination whistle/compass/LED lights with my handle and www.geocaching.com on them from a promotional products outfit. They ended up costing about 80 cents each and people certainly remember them. :)

:P

I like you Moxie. Well written. B):)

Edited by WHO-DEY
They are like a computer printed image(s), with the name of the cacher on a 2x3 card, laminated and left6 in the cache. No coins laminated in as UNDERTREE mentioned they do, in a previous post. Just a card. Left in the bottom of the ammo cans all over Michigan.

I'm sure most of us know exactly what kind you are talking about. That is the kind I leave.

I print out a business card size card, printed on both sides. I then use a heat laminated device to laminate the cards, and leave those for a signature card.

I'm sorry you are bothered by them being left in ammo cans all over Michigan. (after all they do take up a lot of room. :) ) However, there are a lot of us who do like them.

Rather them letting them bother you, please read through this whole thread and see that they are liked by many.

I do wish people would either laminate them or some other way protect them. Just leaving a paper card in the cache will turn to mush in time.

B)

I like you Moxie. Well written. :D:)

:P