New type of Cache

Hi, I am an engineering student of the technical University of Berlin. I am currently working on a project, that is searching for applications for a certain type of chip, that may make it possible to create a new type of cache.

The Chip can calculate the distance in meters/ feet between the chip itself and a second, identical chip. Also it can send and receive data with a rate of 1 Mbit/ s.

You could use the chip as a cache, which is not accessable by cachers. Instead, the cache recognizes cachers that are closeby (they also have to have a chip) and exchanges data, for instance it could send the content of the log. And also make an log entry in the logfile saved on the cache. Also, it could send digital gimmicks as a reward, such as a Song, Cartoon, or Video.

What do you think?

Hi, I am an engineering student of the technical University of Berlin. I am currently working on a project, that is searching for applications for a certain type of chip, that may make it possible to create a new type of cache.

The Chip can calculate the distance in meters/ feet between the chip itself and a second, identical chip. Also it can send and receive data with a rate of 1 Mbit/ s.

You could use the chip as a cache, which is not accessable by cachers. Instead, the cache recognizes cachers that are closeby (they also have to have a chip) and exchanges data, for instance it could send the content of the log. And also make an log entry in the logfile saved on the cache. Also, it could send digital gimmicks as a reward, such as a Song, Cartoon, or Video.

What do you think?

How would you sign the log?

Also, it could send digital gimmicks as a reward, such as a Song, Cartoon, or Video.

I think this could make a real kewl addition to a cache. Perhaps a two part multi? The cacher finds the first chip at stage one, then the device taunts them, while offering subtle hints, depending on how long they spend searching for stage two.

What do you mean with signing?

It doesn't sound good to me. The purpose of geocaching is to actually find a hide, hence virtuals are not allowed to be placed anymore. With this you don't actually find something all you would have to do is be in the general area to get the find, doesn't sound any fun to me.

Well it all depends on the distance. If you get a signal in a distance of say 2 meters/ 6 feet, it would still require to find the hide. Another solution would be, that you get the signal in a distance further away, but that the coordinates/ the area where the hide is hidden are less clear than usual.

I like the idea of electronic rewards, especially as there are many GPS out there now that can take MP3s and jpegs.

You should only get the "reward" if you find the cache- setting distance to 6 foot is not enough, as it is very possible to be within 6 foot and not find a cache, especially in undergrowth or an urban environment (just going on DNF logs of caches I am watching here). So maybe the solution is to set the distance at max 1 inch, or maybe you could put the cache chip in the log book, and you need to touch your own chip to the cache chip when you sign the log.

The other question (at least for me as a SAHM) would be how much it would cost, both for me as a geocacher to have a chip and for people who want to place them in caches- too expensive and people won't be able to afford it. Might be a fun premium feature if you can confince Groundspeak (no flaming about premium vs other members please....)

Edited by Penguin_ar

Hit send?

What do you think?

I duno, sounds like Wherigo but even more expensive.

There are a lot of people saving up so they can do Wherigo caches and they would get mad if yet anther tech type cache where to come out before Wherigo became a standard on receivers.

Then you have power consumption. How big will the battery have to be and how long will it last?

Solar powered? Will it be able to make up for two weeks power consumption in a day?

I know that I don't want a cache where I'll have to go and regularly change batteries on, unless regular means once a year or less.

There are a lot of people saving up so they can do Wherigo caches and they would get mad if yet anther tech type cache where to come out before Wherigo became a standard on receivers.

Then you have power consumption. How big will the battery have to be and how long will it last?

Solar powered? Will it be able to make up for two weeks power consumption in a day?

I know that I don't want a cache where I'll have to go and regularly change batteries on, unless regular means once a year or less.

Well battery should last for approx. 2 years, since I am no geocacher: What are "Wherigo's"?

Well battery should last for approx. 2 years, since I am no geocacher: What are "Wherigo's"?

Wherigo.com

Wherigo is a toolset for creating and playing GPS-enabled adventures in the real world. Use GPS technology to guide you to physical locations and interact with virtual objects and characters.

Wherigo™ Caches

A Wherigo geocache uses your Wherigo cartridge to lead you ultimately to the physical geocache location. The cartridges must reside at Wherigo.com. If a cartridge is used as a requirement to find a geocache, it is considered a Wherigo cache, regardless of whether it may also have a puzzle or multi-cache component.

Cache saturation applies only to physical containers, and not virtual elements. Standard geocaching guidelines apply.

A device that can play Wherigo is not considered special equipment.

Getting Started with Wherigo

The idea is intriguing but I'm not sure where it fits. The idea of geocaching is to find a containter that has been hidden and sign the physical log book that is in the cache. There are some variations but these have mostly been grandfathered - i.e., no new caches of these types are allowed on Geocaching.com. On type is the code word cache where you would find the cache but instead of signing the log would get a codeword from the cache which you would send to the cache owner as verification that you found the cache. A similar idea was the virtual cache where instead of a cache you would find some pre-existing object and either take a picture of it or answer some questions as a verification that you visited the site. EarthCaches are variation of virtual caches that can still be listed. The type that I see as closest to what you are proposing is the WebCam cache. The coodinates take you to a place in the field of view of a webcam. You call a friend or use the browser on your cell phone to capture a picture of yourself on the webcam.

Wherigo is game that uses your GPS location to interact with the game. It requires special hardware that can run the game and also get your GPS location. Some Wherigo games will involve finding a geocache. Geocaches that are found as part of a Wherigo game are listed as Wherigo caches.

...What do you think?

I think you have some great potential with what this will allow to be done. There are a lot of interesting variations you can do with this. (Most of the ones I can think of are variations of existing cache types, but that's just what I can think of just now)

The idea of caching is finding something hidden. That's what pulls us in. It's not the box, it's not the log book. There is room to grow and if a new cache idea comes out of this. Great.

...Then you have power consumption. How big will the battery have to be and how long will it last?...

You can switch this out with FRID chips. (I could have the wrong set of initials). Those are cheap. Readers have to be somewhat reasonable. The chip needs no power. The reader would be powered by the operator. The RFID chip can relay some info relating to the cache.

This would work for mose of the kinds of things that I can envision.

Well as I see it, there are a lot of similarities between Wherigo and my idea. So the question is: Is there need of another harware solution, that wants to enrich geocaching. My main question would be: How many geocachers are using such devices. Does anyone know?

1. How many active geocachers exist around the world? My guess was 250.000, could this be?

2. How many per cent use special equipment such as Wherigo and how many percent just use GPS and cards?

2. How many per cent use special equipment such as Wherigo and how many percent just use GPS and cards?

In Huntsville Alabama we have tons of engineers working for NASA, etc. There are ZERO Wherigo caches within 50 miles. We are interested in finding a cache, not buying more gear.

There are few Wherigo caches, but that is not only because of the additional purchase needed. It's part of it, but not all of it.

Lots of people have Colorados or Oregons GPS and have not placed a Wherigo. For many of them, the reason is that those caches take a long time to set up and you need to have some knowledge of programming to create a good one (that is what the ones who have created one told me anyway, I don't have the necessary technology to check for myself).

So any new cache type that need even more new equipment or specialized skill would also be slow to become popular.

I think you can start your own geocaching virtual hunt using chips. because there's people out there who like to go out and actually look for the cache and find it. but for people who want the whole chip thing, fine have a blast cause your just sucking a majority of fun out of caching and being outdoors and using the mind with the gps to find a object. :)

What do you think?

I think I'd like more info on this chip.

As someone who has played around with BASIC Stamp controllers, I can see the possibilities.

Thanks.

Geocachers seem reluctant to spend money, and they get pleasure from finding a physical cache. If you eliminate the radio function of your idea, you may get a more positive response.

USB flash drives are very inexpensive now, especially the 1G or smaller ones. I have found several 2G flash drives online for about $10 each. Why not develop a cache with a USB reader port. The cache hunter can have a USB flash drive with a small file containting his user name or email address (or some other identifier) that will be automatically read when inserted into the cache. Perhaps you could also load a reward file onto the geocacher's flash drive. Some people would be against that idea, fearing a virus. Some would welcome the file, since they can virus scan the flash drive before opening anything on it.

I think you could develop such a cache using a pic, stamp, or arduino microprocessor. Considerations would be the power supply (a solar cell would be a dead giveaway to the location), protecting the electronics from the elements while still allowing access to the USB port, and distribution of the identification file, among others. I think it would be realy cool to have the electronic cache log your visit automatically, but that would make things more complicated and expensive for the person developing the cache.

If I were a programmer and knew anything about electronics, I'd give this one a try. If someone else decides to build it, please post instructions so I can make one to hide in my area.

Rick