Garmin GPSmap 60CSx - Problems with Compass

Hello

I've had my GPSmap 60CSx for a few months now and it worked fine for a while but lately I've noticed that when I'm out caching the compass arrow is pointing in the wrong direction most of the time even though I'm heading in the correct direction and the distance is going down. :rolleyes:

Yesterday our group was out caching and we had 3 gps units between us. One of the kids was using my old GPS 60 which worked great whilst I was using my newer GPSmap60CSx which was usless! I've tried calibrating the compass several times and it occasionally works ok but then after a while the arrow starts pointing in the wrong direction again. I've also noticed that most of the time the screen says hold level (which I am).

Am I doing something wrong or is the unit faulty??

I hope someone can help because it's spoiling my geocaching fun. :lol:

Hello

I've had my GPSmap 60CSx for a few months now and it worked fine for a while but lately I've noticed that when I'm out caching the compass arrow is pointing in the wrong direction most of the time even though I'm heading in the correct direction and the distance is going down. :rolleyes:

Yesterday our group was out caching and we had 3 gps units between us. One of the kids was using my old GPS 60 which worked great whilst I was using my newer GPSmap60CSx which was usless! I've tried calibrating the compass several times and it occasionally works ok but then after a while the arrow starts pointing in the wrong direction again. I've also noticed that most of the time the screen says hold level (which I am).

I hope someone can help because it's spoiling my geocaching fun. :lol:

You can - After updating the firmware - calibrate your compass as per the manual (the whole spinning in circles thing) :lol:

Hello

I've had my GPSmap 60CSx for a few months now and it worked fine for a while but lately I've noticed that when I'm out caching the compass arrow is pointing in the wrong direction most of the time even though I'm heading in the correct direction and the distance is going down. :)

I hope someone can help because it's spoiling my geocaching fun. :D

>

Check Menu-> Setup -> Heading make sure the "Switch to compass heading when below:" is set to about 10 MPH minimum. If it is much lower, the GPS position "jumping around" will have the needle reading in "relation to travel" mode versus compass mode . You want to be in compass mode if your navigating by foot or standing still.

Once you are under 10MPH you should switch to compass mode and the needle should point at you navigation reference.

Edited by markhp

I have a 60csx and have noticed that when my batteries start to get low my compass will jump around and even point the wrong way. When that happens either change out your batteries and recalibrate the compass or just watch the section with the distance remaining until you are close to GZ.

I always carry extra batteries with me because of this.

Hello

I've had my GPSmap 60CSx for a few months now and it worked fine for a while but lately I've noticed that when I'm out caching the compass arrow is pointing in the wrong direction most of the time even though I'm heading in the correct direction and the distance is going down. :)

I hope someone can help because it's spoiling my geocaching fun. :P

User better batteries. Seriously. The calibration will hold longer when you use batteries that maintain a fairly constant voltage, then drops off fast at the end (like NiMHs), rather than those with a steady decline.

I hope someone can help because it's spoiling my geocaching fun. :)

Are you aware that the 60csx points a different direction that the 60cs by design? I had an epiphany when I figured this out. The elation over figuring that out has caused me to post in several compass threads hoping someone else will see the light. It hasn't happened. Part of the problem with my posts is yes, the 60csx can be faulty or need recalibration.

My Colorado 300 does the same thing some times!

The compass either spins all over the place or simply points to the wrong direction!

I have the latest software installed, recalibrated the compass several times, made sure the NiMH batteries are fully charged, etc.. yet the problem seems to persist more or less.

What I did to solve this issue for now is to write down the cache coordinates on paper then look at the field with the coordinates in the compass view and try to match the 2!

Not too happy about that but seems to get to the caches :)

Are you aware that the 60csx points a different direction that the 60cs by design? I had an epiphany when I figured this out. The elation over figuring that out has caused me to post in several compass threads hoping someone else will see the light. It hasn't happened.
I haven’t noticed anything of the sort, and I haven’t seen your previous posts on this. Please explain.

Hi,

My Aunt, My Uncle, and I all use the same GPS, the Garmin 60CSx. Glenna (my Aunt) and I experience problems with the compass on a very regular basis. Gene, my uncle, has never had any trouble. ...I lost my gps a few weeks ago kayaking and bought a new 60CSx, and it's doing the same thing with the compass! We (Glenna & I) calibrate our compasses, and after 20 minutes to 2 hours, North is pointing South & we have to re-calibrate, sometimes re-calibrating will work for a while, other times it won't work at all. (When compass wiggs out, it's usually between 25° & 180° off.)

Gene & Glenna have been using their 60CSx for about two years now, I've been using mine for 3 years, but have been using Garmin GPSs for over ten years - we know our gps's like the back of our hand and definitely consider ourselves experts with them (in other words, we're not novices, we've tried all logical steps, except different batteries, but I think we're using good ones).

Glenna & I have to re-calibrate our compasses as frequently as every ten minutes (or up to 2 hours). I don't see how it could possibly be environmental (power lines, etc.) because Gene, using the same exact GPS, never experiences the problems we do when we're all caching together. My compass & Glenna's wigg out randomly, it doesn't necessarily happen at the same time, so I think we can probably rule environment out.

Do we just happen to have lemons? If so, that's pretty bad, that would mean that 75% of our GPSs are lemons! (Lemons: 1. My current 60CSx, 2. My Previous (lost) 60CSx 3. Glenna's 60CSx ... Not-lemons: 1. Gene's 60CSx).

So far the best theory I've heard so far is the idea that using the wrong, or close to dead batteries could affect the calibration. We all use different batteries. Though we've definitely ruled out close-to-dead batteries.

I have no idea what Eneloop batteries are (Sanyo Eneloop (1,900 - 2,000 mAh) Rechargeable from CostCo), are they nimh, nicd, I doubt they're lion or zinc air.. So, possibly Alkaline & Eneloop are no good for the 60CSx? If Eneloop is fine, what should we set our Battery Type to?

Also, when calibrating, what does "two circles" really mean? I learned from an REI class to walk in two large, maybe 10' diameter circles. Gene assumed it meant stand in one spot & slowly spin in two circles.

Both seem to work (well, for a while anyway), any advice on that?

Here's our details:

Gene's 60CSx:

Firmware: 3.6 (he's afraid to upgrade, incase that's what's causing the trouble. I don't blame him.)

Battery Type: NiMH

Batteries: nimh (duracell rechargeable)

Glenna:

Firmware: 3.9 (just updated a few days ago from 3.7, no improvement)

Battery Type: Set to NiMH

Batteries: 50% of the time Alkaline batteries, and 50% of the time Eneloop

My Current 60CSx:

Firmware: 3.9 (updated immediately after purchasing)

Battery Type: set to Alkaline

Batteries: Always Eneloop Rechargeable batteries

My Previous 60CSx: (lost on kayaking kayaking, probably caught up in a strainer in the Rio Grande somewhere)

Firmware: no clue, probably 3.6 or 3.7.

Battery Type: I don't remember what it was set to.

Batteries: Sanyo Eneloop Eneloop.

Any help getting to the bottom of this would be greatly appreciated.

Right now, for all intents & purposes, the electronic compass on 75% of the 60CSx's is worthless..

-Adam

are you holding the unit upright or flat? It is my understanding that if you have it set to go to the electronic compass after a certain speed, say 10mph, you need to hold the unit flat with the top pointing in the direction you want to go. I notice this quite a bit on my snowmobile. I use lith batteries with no probelms in all weather.

are you holding the unit upright or flat? It is my understanding that if you have it set to go to the electronic compass after a certain speed, say 10mph, you need to hold the unit flat with the top pointing in the direction you want to go. I notice this quite a bit on my snowmobile. I use lith batteries with no probelms in all weather.

When the electronic compass is turned on, it's important to hold the GPS as flat as possible. The way the antenna was designed for the 60CSx, it gets it's absolute best reception being vertical, but of course you can't do that when the electronic compass is on. I have my GPS set to switch to the electronic compass after 5 seconds of <= 5mph, and when it's wigging out I just turn the electronic compass off all together (by holding down the page button for two or three seconds).

It's definitely not an issue of not knowing when it's on or off, or holding it level enough. We learned all that stuff the first week of owning this GPS.

I've heard wonderful things about lithium batteries, especially that they fare very well in really cold weather. During the winter I often take my GPS snowboarding with me, but inevitably the batteries freeze & die, even when they're fully charged - after I get home & they warm up, they're back to 95% capacity or whatever. I haven't had much luck finding rechargeable lithium AA batteries, are they only available as disposable?

Hello,

I was the OP who had problems with my compass pointing the wrong way on my 60CSX. Well, I ended up getting a replacement from Garmin and went away on a caching break and found that the replacement started doing exactly the same thing (compass pointing me in wrong direction).

I then found out what I was doing wrong!! :) I had a lanyard with a metal ring attachment on it to hang my GPS around my neck and when I got the replacement GPS I had put the lanyard on the replacement! Anyway, whilst on my caching holiday when the GPS decided played up I decided to take off the lanyard and all of a sudden the GPS started to work properly. I've now been using it for a few months with no problems whatsoever!! :)

I wonder if the other people who have been having problems with the compass use lanyards with metal attachments on their GPS??

When calibrating, stand in place and turn 720 degrees (two full circles). Don't walk in circles. It's much easier to keep the unit level by standing in place, rather than walking over ground. The batteries to make a difference. Batteries that maintain a constant voltage over the longest period of time work best. NiMHs work very well, because of this, but you have to tell the unit you're using them.

wonder if the other people who have been having problems with the compass use lanyards with metal attachments on their GPS??

Neither Glenna nor I use the lanyard that came with the gps, Gene does...ironically he's the only one who's gps's electronic compass DOES work. Weird.

When calibrating, stand in place and turn 720 degrees (two full circles). Don't walk in circles. It's much easier to keep the unit level by standing in place, rather than walking over ground. The batteries to make a difference. Batteries that maintain a constant voltage over the longest period of time work best. NiMHs work very well, because of this, but you have to tell the unit you're using them.

I guess I'll go ahead & buy some nimh batteries to test out. What I'm using now (eneloop) is rated 1900-2000 mah, I would think those are perfect. I'll look for the highest quality nimh with the highest mah rating I can find.

Thanks for tip on standing in one spot to turn - it is easier, and in my experience is no more accurate as the other way, and no less, I can't see that it affects accuracy at all, so might as well stand in one spot.

Went caching today & had to re-calibrate my compass 6 times. (4 of those times north ended up pointing all the way back to south! Gene's electronic compass was fine during those time.

I'll probably call Garmin before too long, because I don't think this is considered 'acceptable' performance. I dunno, maybe this is exactly up to spec, compass needs to be re-calibrated every 20 minutes. (??? I mean REALLY???)

All of the sudden, my compass started "behaving itself!"

Don't ask me how.. I don't recall doing anything extra.. maybe I have updated the firmware but that's about it.

I'm glad it's working fine now. If I ever understand what the problem really was and how to fix it, I'll be dropping a line.

When calibrating, stand in place and turn 720 degrees (two full circles). Don't walk in circles. It's much easier to keep the unit level by standing in place, rather than walking over ground.

I thought you had to turn the gps 2 times round it's axle, the manual isn't quite clear about it.....

Will it make a big difference?

When calibrating, stand in place and turn 720 degrees (two full circles). Don't walk in circles. It's much easier to keep the unit level by standing in place, rather than walking over ground.

I thought you had to turn the gps 2 times round it's axle, the manual isn't quite clear about it.....

Will it make a big difference?

Hold the GPS flat and level in the palm of your hand. Turn your body (clockwise or counter-clockwise, it makes no difference) 720 degrees (two full turns). Watch the progress indicator on the screen. If will say "Just Right" if your turning the correct speed. Continue to turn until the progress meter runs out and you get the completion message.

Don't calibrate if you're very need any large metal objects, like a car. Move to a clear area first.

Eneloops are NiMH. Maybe invest in a good charger if you really think it's the batteries.

Thanks for that link! The last time I researched eneloop batteries I couldn't figure out what they actually were.

I don't think it's the batteries. I found out that Glenna had tested using nimh batteries (other than eneloop & were labeled as such), yet her compass still wigged out.

Don't calibrate if you're very need any large metal objects, like a car. Move to a clear area first.

That's great advice, we're pretty conscious of not calibrating near power lines, I don't always pay attention to other large metal objects like cars though. Do you think being 100' away from any cars is far enough?

As an extreme test, the next time I go out caching (usually a six or seven hour event for us) I'll calibrate in a very clear area. I'm close to the desert, so I'll try calibrating out there in the middle of nowhere, and far from my car. I kinda doubt that'll solve our problems, but I gotta try. I'm beginning to think that our GPSs are simply "flawed". If this next test does not solve the issue I think I'll call Garmin and hope it's not just a dead-end (pretty sure it will be though, I don't think there's a fix for this).

I have had the same problem. I begin to suspect Cell Phones to be the culprit. The field that they put out whenever being turned on. I used to put my gps beside my cell phone in the console of my car and then it gave me the problem now I keep them seperate and I don't get it. Try that.

I was having the same problem with my 60csx but then I read the manual and figured out the compass was set to the wrong setting. The compass needs to be set on Bearing pointer and not course pointer, on course pointer it keeps pointing you to the course of travel from when you chose the waypoint, so if you get off that line the arrow points you back to it. The bearing pointer will always point to your destination.

Interesting about the cellphone being the possible cause. I'll definitely have to test for that.

I was having the same problem with my 60csx but then I read the manual and figured out the compass was set to the wrong setting. The compass needs to be set on Bearing pointer and not course pointer, on course pointer it keeps pointing you to the course of travel from when you chose the waypoint, so if you get off that line the arrow points you back to it. The bearing pointer will always point to your destination.

I'm not able to find any settings for Course or Bearing pointer. Are you talking about the "highway" screen?

What you say makes perfect sense, I'm just not sure how to get to those settings.

Either way, I imagine a good test would be to turn off the electric compass when it seems to be wigging out, walk around a little and the compass should appear to wig out exactly the same as when the compass was turned on.

That would be so awesome if it was just a setting that'll fix this!!

Goin' caching this Friday so I'll try out some tests then.

I'm finding it interesting that other folks are having this "problem". I hadn't noticed my compass "losing" bearings until after I updated to v. 3.9 firmware, now it loses itself pretty consistently.

Now the "speed" thing may be where I'm getting loused up because regardless how "out" the compass is when I'm on foot, as soon as I set it up on the dash of the CacheMobile (my old Montero has a dashboard shelf) the compass works perfectly (even though it's being held at about a 45* angle!!).

What are these "speed" settings and what is their effect? I'm hesitant to mess with these without having a better understanding of what I'm doing. There also seems to be a time component to this. And I'm not entirely sure this is the problem...the compass works fine on foot and in the car for a while after calibration, then it loses itself on foot.

AS FAR AS THE BATTERIES I wholeheartedly second the "get a good charger" sentiment. I use AA NiMH batteries in several devices and found that the household charger really only gives them a partial charge (even when running them twice!!). I'm an avid radio control hobbyist so I've got a few VERY high-end chargers, but now NiMH chargers are selling quite inexpensively as the hobby changes over to Lithium Polymer batteries. You can get a charger that will do a great job for either side of $20, you just need to make sure it can be adjusted to charge in the .5-1 amp range (the ones that are fixed or only do 4-7 amps will destroy AA batteries!)

I use a plastic housing that holds four AA batteries and is "wired" in series. This piece is a receiver pack housing (called a "battery pack holder") for individual battery use (so folks can use alkaline batteries, etc) and should be readily available (or easily ordered) from hobby shops that cater to radio control, especially planes. I hook my charger up to the housing and charge away knowing that the batteries will be fully charged. I've done this with batteries taken directly from my "household" charger and found they were only 1/2-2/3 charged.

If anyone needs help figuring out what to get lmk and I'll be happy to assist. It ain't rocket science, but if you're not familiar with the devices and the lingo it might be a bit daunting.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

dtxm3001.jpg

Do we just happen to have lemons? If so, that's pretty bad, that would mean that 75% of our GPSs are lemons! (Lemons: 1. My current 60CSx, 2. My Previous (lost) 60CSx 3. Glenna's 60CSx ... Not-lemons: 1. Gene's 60CSx).

I was really hoping to see a solution to the problem of the arrow pointing the wrong way when navigating because both my Dad's and my 60csx have these same issues: the arrow points the wrong way sometimes while the distance to next always tells the truth. We have tried recalibration, software updates, contacting Garmin, and to no resolve.

Could this be coincidental? Probably not. They have an issue with the electronic compass and they are not willing to repair it for free outside of the 1 year warranty. It cost them $105 to repair it and they said it probably wont even be the same unit they ship back. I would do it if they told me what they repaired so me and my dad and you could all share in the rewards. But if they can't tell me how to not break the unit again, then the chances of problems with compass calibration in the future are likely high after repair.

I am truly disappointed in Garmin's handling of this issue and their warranty on defects in their products. I enjoy shopping with companies that stand behind their products for life, heck, I have only used the unit 15 times in a couple of years.

-Todd

We have a 60CSx and my wife has experienced the same jumping aroung of the compass, and it has a software version 4.2... so is it just a problem with the hardware in general?

However.....this may be a sidestep tangent here, and I apologize in advance. We have had three different Garmin units, a LegendHCx, VistaHCx, and now a 60CSx. We returned the Legend in exchange for the Vista because it didn't have an electronic compass and the Vista did. But even with the electronic compass we still had trouble locating caches and waypoints. At the time we also had blackberry curves and were using the Cacheberry program. In the Cacheberry program, the compass would show the destination coords, AND your current coords, this would allow us to count down our distance so to speak, which we liked. But try as I might, I could not get the Vista to do this. The two data fields that you can set up for "location" ("lat/long" & "selected") both show only your current position. This just frustrates me, you can't set it to display the destination coords at all while on the compass, and this just seems logical to me. Especially since the phones did.

So we returned it and continued to cache with our phones with better results.

Fast forward to this summer.... and we traded in our blackberries for Samsung Moment google phones. We discovered c:geo and how its similar to cacheberry, and how well it worked and the ability to read the gpx files on the go. But we want to place some more caches, so we wanted to get a more accurate device. So two days ago we got a 60CSx on sale having read plenty of good reviews. However, this unit has the exact same problem. I don't understand why you can't set the destination and current location coords to show on the compass screen. Am I insane to want this in a unit other than a phone? I think we need to find some folks with various other units and see if this is just an oversite in the GPS manufacturers or just Garmin.

Whoa, sorry for the long post, it's just been bugging me for two days.

Am I insane to want this in a unit other than a phone? I think we need to find some folks with various other units and see if this is just an oversite in the GPS manufacturers or just Garmin.

Whoa, sorry for the long post, it's just been bugging me for two days.

It's an oversight on the phone app programming, The GPS units do the math for you. Set a data field to show you 'distance to destination' and you will have your count down. Might help to calibrate your compass, and set you routing preferences to 'off road' and uncheck 'lock to road'.

Got a new 60csx last weekend. Runs great on the new FW. The only compass trouble I've had was after a battery change....a recalibrate and it's good to go until next set of batteries.

Trouble is I find don't care for this function. I've always used satelite guided compass pointers (while moving) on my other units and would like to know how to turn off the E-compass on this 60. Is this possible?

Got a new 60csx last weekend. Runs great on the new FW. The only compass trouble I've had was after a battery change....a recalibrate and it's good to go until next set of batteries.

Trouble is I find don't care for this function. I've always used satelite guided compass pointers (while moving) on my other units and would like to know how to turn off the E-compass on this 60. Is this possible?

Press and hold the Page key to turn the compass on and off.

I have a 60CSx and have had no problems with the compass at all. My software version is 4.20 and my GPS SW Version is 2.30m

I went to the Garmin site and downloaded Web Updater. The software will check your gps'r and update it with the most current software.

After I ran the Garmin Web Updater I found that I have the most current software available.

I have had my 60CSx since mid May. I use rechargeable Duracell NiMH's in my receiver and have never had to recalibrate the compass.

Hello all - I read all the posts so far! Phew! Now I have my 2 cents to share. We have the Garmin 60csx bought it in May of this year (so less than a month) - used rechargeable batteries to begin with (I think it was even set to Alkaline batteries at the time) didn't know enough to calibrate or change battery type but hte unit worked perfectly with amazing accuracy for first time cachers - We were hooked!

But alas, the compass went a little screwy, or better definition - wasn't as accurate. We had quite a few DNFs and we were getting impatient and frustrated. We changed the batteries to alkalaine batteries .. no change... just a screwy compass. Someone enlightened us about calibration- we were relieved and excited to try it out - still works spuratically...

So after looking at all the posts here... From Uncle Gene and others, it sounds like if it is consistently pointing in oposite direction (not our problem) the change to bearing pointer.

If you are getting a screwy compass - change batteries and recalibrate... More specifically, change to NiMh batteries, even more specific - Duracell rechargeables... I am going to do it, because I want to cache with confidence. No I don't work for the company, but those that have used that brand specifically (in at least two posts compared to their Garmin 60CSX friends) has not had any occurance of probelems... hmmm, sounds like a winner to me... :unsure:

What is so curious to me (and makes me assume it is battery choice) is that we did not have a problem until we changed batteries, we calibrate it constatntly now and still don't have accuracy to the 10+/- ft we should have. We do not use a metal lanyard, but cell phones and vehicles may also play a role - but overall I am pointing at batteries... what are your thoughts?

I will re-post later to give another 2 cents (hopefully not this long..) about what has happened since, but if this continues for too long - I will be giving Garmin a call... Caching isn't fun like this - may as well not have the Selective Availability removed!

sigh....

thanks for listening!

:unsure:

Set the compass option to "bearing" pointer, it will fix your problem of the pointer pointing in the opposite direction. I have a friend that just got a new 60CSX and that is what I did to fix his.

Yeah. I have to agree. I think there's something wrong here, maybe some confusion between "bearing" and "heading". Also, I calibrate the compass on my 60CSx by standing still, and turning the GPS in my flat outstretched palm, not by turning my body around in circles. I've had no problem with the compass.

I've used Duracell NiMH rechargeables for some time. Several months ago my compass went screwy, and needed calibration at nearly every outing. The only thing that fixed it was resetting the unit to factory defaults. I haven't calibrated it since.

The compass has nothing to do with the accuracy of the unit, by the way. It's just an electronic version of a plain compass, with the added benefit of declanation correction. I see 7-8 foot accuracy in the open, and 10-15 foot accuracy (or worse) under heavy canopy.

Edited by JJnTJ

A 60csx is the first GPS I've ever owned that had an electronic compass. New batteries?... calibrate. Make sure to calibrate in an area that doesn't skew the calibration...GZ's are often areas with high ferrous metals and that messes with the E-compass, etc.

One of the best things I've done with this 60 was to hold the PAGE button and turn the compass off. IMO, an elctronic compass is one of the most over rated selling points on a GPS. If you have two working legs that can propel you over 2MPH in a straight line there is absolutely no need for an E-compass and all it's trappings. Another added benefit is you get better battery life. Just my .02.

A 60csx is the first GPS I've ever owned that had an electronic compass. New batteries?... calibrate. Make sure to calibrate in an area that doesn't skew the calibration...GZ's are often areas with high ferrous metals and that messes with the E-compass, etc.

One of the best things I've done with this 60 was to hold the PAGE button and turn the compass off. IMO, an elctronic compass is one of the most over rated selling points on a GPS. If you have two working legs that can propel you over 2MPH in a straight line there is absolutely no need for an E-compass and all it's trappings. Another added benefit is you get better battery life. Just my .02.

It just shows that everyone is different.....I can't imagine going back to caching without an electronic compass. After mapping I think its the single best feature. I've been in many places where its hard to walk at all must less 2 mph....it is so nice having a pointer always aiming at the cache. I might add that the 60's compass is 2 axis and quirky when compared to the 3 axis Magellan Platinum which is the smoothest I've ever used. The Oregon 450 3 axis seems good....I need to check it after just updating the software.

I guess my biggest concern is that I am not finding GZ with a compass very easily. My range (in the open) is something like 50 ft. square. It seems ridiculous to be at a park and the area could be any number of things... I was just at one today (and could not find partly because of compass but also because it was raining hard and I didn't have thte time) but, I literaly could not tell if I needed to look in the woods 20 feet away, or the vertical logs for parking area boundaries... not to mention which area... it would move quite a bit. Previously in the forest under medium canopy - where others (with same unit) found geocache - I was looking in 50 ft square area - jumping from stump to stump thinking "oh, this is where its suppossed to be..." and then it skipped to another. I recently put in rechargeables NiMh, but today was first day and honestly was not far enough away from car (since it was raining) so can not test it appropriately.

a couple questions: from previous posts...

What does "CDI" stand for and where is it on my Garmin 60CSX?

HOw do I turn off the compass?

What kind of batteries does everyone else use? Do you alter between battery types?

and do they change the battery type every time they change to a differnt kind of battery? (I ask because we orignally put rechargables in our unit and it was labeled as alkaline, and we did not have a problem. then we put alkaline in them (still set to alkaline batteries) and we had problems. NOw we know better and have switched the setting, but still not working right (without enough time given to test) just to be honest.)

thanks for your time. sigh.... eventually we will get it right?

I've used Duracell NiMH rechargeables for some time. Several months ago my compass went screwy, and needed calibration at nearly every outing. The only thing that fixed it was resetting the unit to factory defaults. I haven't calibrated it since.

The compass has nothing to do with the accuracy of the unit, by the way. It's just an electronic version of a plain compass, with the added benefit of declanation correction. I see 7-8 foot accuracy in the open, and 10-15 foot accuracy (or worse) under heavy canopy.

I also use Duracell rechargeable batteries in all three of my handhelds, two of which have electronic compasses (60CSx & 62s). I know it's been mentioned in this forum before and I also know it's contrary to what the manuals say, but I don't recalibrate the compass after every battery change. I mainly seek geocaches with my Garmins so just having a general knowledge of the direction is good enough for me, although I haven't noticed any appreciable change in the compass reading.

The Bajii, do you turn on the GPS unit at least a half hour before seeking a cache? It can take that long for it to figure out which satellites are visible, and get a lock on them. The advice usually given on these forums is to turn it on and set it somewhere with a good view of the sky (i.e. a car dashboard) while you're driving to your destination.

If your accuracy is 50 feet, the compass will be pointing to some point inside a circle 100 feet in diameter, which is probably not where the cache is. The compass has no way of knowing where the cache actually is, it just points to the GPSr's best guess of the GZ.

(I never re-calibrate my compass after changing batteries either. It works adequately.)

Edited by JJnTJ

"CDI" is Course Deviation Indicator. If the ( I think it is the "heading" setting in setup, I don't have the unit here with me) is set to CDI your compass will almost point backwards, just like you are describing. We changed powermower's to "bearing, small compass" and it fixed his problem. Sorry, but I just don't remember how to get to the setting, surely someone here that has a "60" can help you with the setting.

It just shows that everyone is different.....I can't imagine going back to caching without an electronic compass. After mapping I think its the single best feature.

Different strokes, as they say. I am kind of backwards at certain things. K.I.S.S. I even prefer driving vehicles with a stick.

I'll not argue mapping. That is great.