Have you ever had a surprise cache find?

Today I spent about 25-30 mins trying to figure out where a cache was.

GPS kept wanting me to walk off the cliff. So out of frustration I left to find the next closest one....

I came back to this cache with a clear head and the compass calibrated and it still wanted me to walk off the cliff!!!! I was about 4-6ft from the edge of the cliff when I gave up. I turned around to walk away and a branch knocked my gpsr out of my hand..... All I could do is watch while it rolled the 4-6ft and over the cliff it went. I heard it hit 4 times and then a final smack!!!!!!

I started to walk off in defeat but something told me to go investigate it.... so I slid on my behind down to "ground zero" made my way to where the poor gps could possibly be.... what did I find??? A still functional gps!!!!!!! the corners of the rubber that goes around the outside of the etrex series was nicked but that was it!!!! I Looked up to the sky to give my thanks for watching over me and the gps and to also give thanks for making me decide to go after the gps. I then turned around to look up to the top of the cliff and

BAM!!!!!!!!!!! There it was!!!!! Found cache

I kicked on the elevation thingy thats on my gps for the first time... it said 743 ft... climbed up to the top where I had been and it said 862 ft. If I am reading this right, the gps fell 119 ft!!!!

GPS kept wanting me to walk off the cliff. So out of frustration I left to find the next closest one....

I came back to this cache with a clear head and the compass calibrated and it still wanted me to walk off the cliff!!!! I was about 4-6ft from the edge of the cliff when I gave up. I turned around to walk away and a branch knocked my gpsr out of my hand..... All I could do is watch while it rolled the 4-6ft and over the cliff it went. I heard it hit 4 times and then a final smack!!!!!!

I started to walk off in defeat but something told me to go investigate it.... so I slid on my behind down to "ground zero" made my way to where the poor gps could possibly be.... what did I find??? A still functional gps!!!!!!! the corners of the rubber that goes around the outside of the etrex series was nicked but that was it!!!! I Looked up to the sky to give my thanks for watching over me and the gps and to also give thanks for making me decide to go after the gps. I then turned around to look up to the top of the cliff and

I kicked on the elevation thingy thats on my gps for the first time... it said 743 ft... climbed up to the top where I had been and it said 862 ft. If I am reading this right, the gps fell 119 ft!!!!

Better the GPS than you! But I'm glad it's okay.

You should have checked the max speed on it to see how fast it fell... that would have been interesting, too! :rolleyes:

We went hiking in the forest to an ammo can that was placed when the original cache went missing and was archived. Found it, returned to the parking lot, and my friend stepped behind a tree to relieve himself. Just before he let fly, he noticed another ammo can in the target area. It was the original missing one, nowhere near its proper location.

We signed the log, returned that can to its owner, and logged two smilies :):P

You should have checked the max speed on it to see how fast it fell... that would have been interesting, too! :(

After a few conversions and some barley remembered physic lessons from high school, I think I have a number for you. If the unit free fell down to a depth of 119ft, then using the negitive acceleration of -9.8m/s or for us confusing yanks -32f/s, the unit would of fallen for 2.727178sec and reached a terminal velocity of 87.2696969f/s or once again to better us confusing yanks...just under 60mph before slamming into the ground....Thats quite a fall. just imagine if you would of slammed into the rock bed at that speed...Im thinkful it was the GPS and I think u should be too! :ph34r:

Surprise find? I have a favorite park near where I work. I was scouting around for my second hide. I'd picked a few spots near the trails as possibles but decided to go up to the top where a bunch of blown downs were. One particularly large stump ring caught my eye but I shrugged it off as too obvious. Then I looked down at my feet at the downed tree and thought. "That bark laying like that... looks like..." I pulled it aside and there was an ammo can. Now I knew every cache in the area so I instantly decided it must be an unpublished new one, so I ran back to my car to get some swag and a geo gem I had. Back up the hill, then when I opened it, I discovered it was the final of a puzzle cache who's origin was nearly 15 miles away! And archived because the owner was banned. Still managed to log the find on another site though. OH yea... earlier in the day I had been commenting to a muggle co-worker on the unlikely chance of finding one by accident.

You should have checked the max speed on it to see how fast it fell... that would have been interesting, too! :D

After a few conversions and some barley remembered physic lessons from high school, I think I have a number for you. If the unit free fell down to a depth of 119ft, then using the negitive acceleration of -9.8m/s or for us confusing yanks -32f/s, the unit would of fallen for 2.727178sec and reached a terminal velocity of 87.2696969f/s or once again to better us confusing yanks...just under 60mph before slamming into the ground....Thats quite a fall. just imagine if you would of slammed into the rock bed at that speed...Im thinkful it was the GPS and I think u should be too! :P

My original GPS60 survived a flight off my motorbike at 70kph onto a bitumen road. It still works fine, just a couple of grazes on the rubber surround.

But the reason I clicked onto this thread is an interesting emerging story over here.

The Central eastern Australian coast around the South East Queensland/ Northern New South Wales area, including Brisbane and the Gold Coast has over the last couple of weeks had some disasterous weather. Rainfalls of 18-20 inches of rain in a week in some parts, with extreme surf, dangerous flooding, and some big property and infrastructure damage. Some parts of the area around the Sunshine Coast and northern suburbs of Brisbane also had more localised flooding a month or so ago. At that time, a number of caches were lost to the flooding. Even more so this time, which prompted this thread of mine. This morning it got an interesting post.

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=132767#132767

Cheers

Bundy

We went hiking in the forest to an ammo can that was placed when the original cache went missing and was archived. Found it, returned to the parking lot, and my friend stepped behind a tree to relieve himself. Just before he let fly, he noticed another ammo can in the target area. It was the original missing one, nowhere near its proper location.

We signed the log, returned that can to its owner, and logged two smilies ;);)

Strangely enough, I found my very first cache while taking a leak. It was also an ammo can. ;)

I went out to place a cache in an area where one had been, but had been archived for about 2 years. I had heard a report that the container was still there, but didn't really expect to find it. As I climbed around the rocks, there it was--a plastic container larger than a .50 cal ammocan--sitting out in the open. Was some water leakage and some bad swag left by muggles, but the logbook was still in good shape. Had been found by muggles numerous times and left alone. Obviously, with 2 years passed, the owner wasn't interested in retrieving it (He also lived over 100 miles away). So I cleaned out the container and hid it a little better and created the new cache. Even used the old logbook.

Just recently, I was hiking through a mixed tallgrass/wooded area along a river. I was hiking toward a cache when I saw something bright red in a tree stump from 150' out. I got over there and found a cache. Couldn't figure out what it was as it wasn't on my list and it was only about 200' from another cache. Took some notes about it and moved onto the cache I was trying to find which was another 500' or so of bushwacking away. Got to that area and couldn't locate the cache. Then looked it up and found the cache had red in the title. Seems like this cache had been found by mushroom hunters or the like and decided to carry it a ways then thought twice about it and decided to leave it sitting in the open so it would be spotted. As I was a significant hike away from the place where it was left and I was headed the opposite direction, I didn't go back to replace it, but left the coords on the web page so the next cacher could find it and return it to its home.

I decided to go for a cache when there was about 2 inches of snow on my yard, but when I arrived at the parking spot there was over a foot there. I'd never been to the area before and the trails were not really visible due to the snow cover so I just took a compass bearing from the road to the cache through the woods.. a distance of just under a mile along a fairly narrow ridge. I paced the distance out in hundred meter sections and when my count ran out I was on rock covered hillside. I began to poke the rocks under the snow and within a minute of two heard the ammo can clunk. Dug out the rock and rolled it over to expose the box. Whenever I go in for what seems like an impossible GPS-less find I always remember that one and figure they're all possible.

While scouting a spot for my very first hide, I was out in a park and found a rock wall next to the #13 walking path sign. I thought it looked perfect so I combed the wall for the best hiding spot, turned over a moss covered rock and found a "letterbox" container. I considered coming back with a stamp, but decided that wasn't my game.