Trusting Coordinates

I place a cache today, albeit a quite overcast one, and used a 10 minute running average to capture the coordinates. I was down to an accuracy of 5.4 feet. The crazy thing is that when I saved them, my GPS told me I was about 50 feet away. Do I trust these coordintes? I grabbed a second set that said I was 8 feet away, but this was only about a minutes worth of averaging.

TIA.

Team Hurley

If you have 5' accuracy, why do you need to average for 10 minutes? :rolleyes:

I have at best 10' accuracy and never average longer than a minute or two...and always do 3-5 points, most with no averaging.

I'd take the second set of coords and call it good.

Edited by Allanon

I would leave the gps in place for a couple minutes so it can get a good lock on the sats. Orient for best reception, i.e., horizontal for the yellow ones and vertical for the 60 and 76. Not sure about the OR, but I think the best for the CO is also vertical. Then take some readings.

Jim

I put the GPS in the exact same location. I think I will use the second set of coordinites. The cache is located in a spot where, if the coordinates are off a bit, the cache name should point to the obvious spot. Then I will ask cachers if the coordinates need altering.

Let the GPSr average for a few minutes, then mark the spot.

Turn the GPSr off.

Walk away from the location a few hundred feet if possible, but certainly as far as practical.

Turn the GPSr back on, and let it re-acquire a sat lock.

Put a go-to on your new waypoint, and see if you can navigate to it using the GPSr.

How close did it take you?

Five feet? Good to go!

Thirty feet? Might want to try again...