USGS topo quads on your iPhone

iTunes AppStore

Developer's web site

$4 application lets you download the maps to your phone - and then view them "offlibne" when you're out of cellphone data coverage. If you have an iPhone 3G (the newer ones with a real GPS built in) it can show your location on the map. Now all I need is a decent street map that can be downloaded to the phone and be likewise accessible when out of cellular range. There's at least one available but it's not gotten good product reviews.

Whether or not you have an iPhone -- I think this is a great thing for the marketplace. It means everyone ELSE who in the business of providing static information (like maps) has to come up with dynamic ways to compete.

iTunes AppStore

Developer's web site

$4 application lets you download the maps to your phone - and then view them "offlibne" when you're out of cellphone data coverage. If you have an iPhone 3G (the newer ones with a real GPS built in) it can show your location on the map. Now all I need is a decent street map that can be downloaded to the phone and be likewise accessible when out of cellular range. There's at least one available but it's not gotten good product reviews.

Whether or not you have an iPhone -- I think this is a great thing for the marketplace. It means everyone ELSE who in the business of providing static information (like maps) has to come up with dynamic ways to compete.

On the Jailbroken side, xGPS dowloads maps AND does turn by turn...

Thanks for the topo link!

one of the reviewers of the app points out that you can't zoom in or out. deal killer for me thus far. Larry James, MacGPS Pro, says that they are coming out with an iPhone app and I am assuming that means using USGS maps. And, yesterday, the announcement of OS 3.0 portends new features. So, I am waiting.